PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think will go to the SB from the AFC?

Amnorix
01-03-2005, 08:48 AM
This isn't a "who do you want", like Rainman's poll, it's "who do you think". Also, who cares about the NFC (other than Joe)? :p

Poll forthcoming.

HC_Chief
01-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Pittsburgh

KCTitus
01-03-2005, 08:49 AM
NE doesnt want to face Indy in the AFC Championship for 2 reasons.

First, their secondary is hurting. Second, the NFL is not going to allow the 'mugging' to occur from last year.

Jenson71
01-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Well, it's between the Steelers and the Patriots, and I have to think experience is a big factor in making it anywhere. Both of those teams have the talent to go (and win), what I don't know is how a young, inexperienced QB can do. With the right attitude, either one of them can make it, but I'm betting the Pats go back to back.

Amnorix
01-03-2005, 08:55 AM
NE doesnt want to face Indy in the AFC Championship for 2 reasons.

First, their secondary is hurting. Second, the NFL is not going to allow the 'mugging' to occur from last year.

Many here are "excited" about the matchup. Some say that we have their number, that they have no defense, that they're not going to win outside the Dome in January and stuff like that.

Me -- I'd just as soon take on the Chargers personally. I agree their defense is relatively mediocre, and that the Pats have won 4 in a row and Manning is only like 1-5 against us or something, but all those games have been real "skin of our teeth" jobs.

If Ty Law isn't back and playing in pretty good form, I REALLY don't want to think about some of hte DB matchups...

Amnorix
01-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Note, for whatever it's worth, that no rookie QB has ever taken a team to the SB. Of course, if ANYONE could, it's Roethlisberger, on a team that is winning based on defense and a running attack...

Rukdafaidas
01-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Note, for whatever it's worth, that no rookie QB has ever taken a team to the SB.
Marino?

Jenson71
01-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Marino?

Second year

Saulbadguy
01-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Colts.

Rukdafaidas
01-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Second year
No, it was his first, but I think he may have been injured.

Amnorix
01-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Colts.

I honestly just can't see the Colts going on the road and beating BOTH New England and the Steelers, back to back.

If they had at least one of those two games in their dome, I could see it. But I just can't see both. If they do, kudos to them, but I'd be shocked, honestly.

Unfortunately, they could definitely deal NE a defeat and then lose to Pittsburgh...

Amnorix
01-03-2005, 09:08 AM
No, it was his first, but I think he may have been injured.

Sorry, he did NOT come into the league and throw 48 TDs for a new NFL record and go to the SB as a rookie. It was his second year.

If it was as a rookie that would be beyond insane, as opposed to merely incredible.

Drafted by 'phins in '83.

http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/marino/career.html

HC_Chief
01-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Pittsburgh has the inside track (hfa), a strong defense, a very good running game, EXCELLENT receivers, and a QB who doesn't make many mistakes. They also have a solid coaching staff that doesn't crumble under pressure *cough*MARTY*cough*. I'd say that gives them the best chance to go.

If not them, NE. Indy still has no defense and SD has Marty ('nuff said).

Jenson71
01-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Sorry, he did NOT come into the league and throw 48 TDs for a new NFL record and go to the SB as a rookie. It was his second year.

If it was as a rookie that would be beyond insane, as opposed to merely incredible.

Drafted by 'phins in '83.

http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/marino/career.html

Yeah.

What's confusing is the Phins made it the year before Marino came, and the year after he first came.

http://www.superbowl.com/history/recaps/game/sbxix

Eleazar
01-03-2005, 09:11 AM
Anybody but the Squeelers I hope. Fortunately I think BB is too good to let them beat New England twice.

Patriots are flying under the radar right now, the media orgy is squarely based in Shytsburgh for the moment.

Iowanian
01-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Pittsburg.

NE's secondary is too beat up to stop INDY, and soft enough to let Pitt move the ball, Seymour out doesn't help them stop the Bus.

Indy isn't physical enough to stop Pitt's running game...and their offense isn't physical enough to deal with their D.

I think the Jets beat Sandy Eggo, and Indy Blows out Denver.

Indy vs Pitt in AFC Championship........Pitt wins big over whichever NFC Scrub makes it in.

Green Bay is my NFC Darkhorse.

Rukdafaidas
01-03-2005, 09:13 AM
OKAY YES!!

MY FINAL DECISION.

What's confusing is the Phins made it the year before Marino came, and the year after he first came.

Yeah, that's what had me confused. His first year would have been the '84 Super Bowl not "83. :banghead:

Amnorix
01-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Yeah.

And hasn't been back since. ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

htismaqe
01-03-2005, 09:18 AM
New England has the experience, and Pitt has a rookie QB.

New England has the inside track, IMO.

Eleazar
01-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Green Bay is my NFC Darkhorse.

You and everone else! You can't find anyone picking the Eagles now. They are not a dark horse anymore, the media has practically crowned the packers the NFC champions already.

Another Super Bowl of hearing about how tough that quarterback is... :Lin:

Saulbadguy
01-03-2005, 09:26 AM
I hope the Steelers don't make it. For some reason, everywhere I go, there are a ton of freaking Steelers fans, even here in Kansas.

Garcia Bronco
01-03-2005, 09:27 AM
I think many of you are over looking the team from Denver....

:)

HC_Chief
01-03-2005, 09:29 AM

hahaha

Nah, we already know what Indy is going to do to them.... it's a given the donkeys will be ground to dog food in the dome.

4th and Long
01-03-2005, 09:29 AM

Naw we wouldnt do that. We already have our "1 and Done" Donko t-shirts being printed to sell over at the Mange.

:p

Amnorix
01-03-2005, 09:32 AM

I give the Broncos approximately a 0.00000000000000000000000001% chance of going to Indy and winning, then going to Pittsburgh and winning, then going to either New England (most likely) or San Diego and winning.

And that's probably being too generous.

4th and Long
01-03-2005, 09:35 AM
I give the Broncos approximately a 0.00000000000000000000000001% chance of going to Indy and winning, then going to Pittsburgh and winning, then going to either New England (most likely) or San Diego and winning.

http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/people/malos/spock.gif
The odds are approximately 3,576,956,186 to 1.

Garcia Bronco
01-03-2005, 09:38 AM

Looking at it from the outside...I can understand that point of view....and it's totally justified.

But me...as a Denver Fan...

I've seen the Broncos...in the playoffs...go into KC and Pitt...to win the Super Bowl....so I've got hope. But hey..whatever happens...happens....it will not be easy to win in Indy...but it's possible.....and then well go from there.

Garcia Bronco
01-03-2005, 09:38 AM
http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/people/malos/spock.gif
The odds are approximately 3,576,956,186 to 1.

"So you're telling me there is chance!?"

HC_Chief
01-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Looking at it from the outside...I can understand that point of view....and it's totally justified.

I've seen the Broncos...in the playoffs...go into KC and Pitt...to win the Super Bowl....so I've got hope. But hey..whatever happens...happens....it will not be easy to win in Indy...but it's possible.....and then well go from there.

BIG difference: you don't have John Elway and Terrell Davis any more.
That's a pretty gigantic oversight on your part, paper-MCSE boy :p

Eleazar
01-03-2005, 09:40 AM

Plummer leading them to knocking off the 3 best teams in the AFC in consecutive games on the road... oh... the hilarity of the suggestion.. ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

4th and Long
01-03-2005, 09:42 AM

What you failed to mention is that those Broncos had Elway at the helm. Now you have Plummer (sorry about that) and his ability to throw the most boneheaded passes when the pressure is on.

I'm tellin' ya. 1 and done.

4th and Long
01-03-2005, 09:43 AM
"So you're telling me there is chance!?"
ROFL

If it makes you feel better, then yes. :p

Iowanian
01-03-2005, 09:46 AM
You and everone else! You can't find anyone picking the Eagles now. They are not a dark horse anymore, the media has practically crowned the packers the NFC champions already.

Another Super Bowl of hearing about how tough that quarterback is... :Lin:

Given Favre's past year..........I hope he Wins the Lombardi.
I can't help it........I just like that guy.

Rain Man
01-03-2005, 09:54 AM

As much as it pains me to admit, I must say that I think Denver has a slightly better chance than Kansas City at this point.

Y'know, defense and all, I still have to go with Indianapolis. You can give up 35 points a game when you're scoring 45.

Amnorix
01-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Here's another reason Denver isn't going to do it -- Denver had ONE winning streak this year of 3 or more games. That was a 4 game win streak, early in the season. Those games were:

1. at home against the Chargers;
2. On the road against the 5-11 Bucs;
3. At home against the Panthers (in the middle of their 1-7 start to the season); and
4. On the road against the 4-12 Raiders.

Now they're going to win 3 in a row against teams with 12+ wins EACH, all on the road.

Ya, right.

HC_Chief
01-03-2005, 11:34 AM
The only reason dungver is even being discussed is some donkey homer mentioned them on this thread. the whole world knows the Colts are going to mince that sorry donk team in the dome.... just like they did last season :D

PastorMikH
01-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Sorry Amnorix, but I think it will be the Steelers this year instead of your boys.

As for Denver, the team they played yesterday won't be the team they play next weekend. It almost looked to me like the Colts laid down yesterday so Denver could get in and give the Colts a decent practice next week before playing a real team the following week.

Amnorix
01-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Sorry Amnorix, but I think it will be the Steelers this year instead of your boys.

That's fine. No offense taken. How anyone could be insulted by someone suggesting that 15-1 team (that hammered my team during the regular season), will beat my boys, I'll never know.

That said, I WANT A REMATCH!!! Like '01, I'd love to go into Terrible Towel land and leave them sobbing in their laundry... :LOL:

PastorMikH
01-03-2005, 11:40 AM
That's fine. No offense taken. How anyone could be insulted by someone suggesting that 15-1 team (that hammered my team during the regular season), will beat my boys, I'll never know.

That said, I WANT A REMATCH!!! Like '01, I'd love to go into Terrible Towel land and leave them sobbing in their laundry... :LOL:

If you got the rematch, it would probably be the best game of the playoffs. In all honesty, I think the two could be matching up in the AFC Championship game.

gblowfish
01-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Quite Frankly, Chiefs and Browns fans agree. Marty will get you close, but break your heart every time.

HC_Chief
01-03-2005, 11:48 AM
Quite Frankly, Chiefs and Browns fans agree. Marty will get you close, but break your heart every time.

I bet they'll beat the Jets. Herm is the more conservative coach of the two (scary thought, no?)

Bowser
01-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Either Pittsburgh or Indy. The Pats' secondary is too beat up to get past Peyton.

And as a selfish football fan, I would love to see the Colts take on the Steelers in the championship game.

Rain Man
01-03-2005, 11:52 AM
I bet they'll beat the Jets. Herm is the more conservative coach of the two (scary thought, no?)

Is such a thing even possible? Have you consulted Stephen Hawking on this?

Actually, I think the Chargers have a strong chance of beating the Jets if Paul Hackett is still the OC of the Jets.

StcChief
01-03-2005, 11:56 AM
If you got the rematch, it would probably be the best game of the playoffs. In all honesty, I think the two could be matching up in the AFC Championship game.

The AFC Championship will be the better game. Better than Superbowl.
NE at Pitt.

I like Pitt's chances even with BB. rookie QB.

Donx get outscored badly at Indy.

Was hoping for an all PA SuperBowl. Now think ATL will be NFC rep.
and get toasted by Pitt.

HC_Chief
01-03-2005, 11:59 AM
<h1>IF</h1> Marty truly has changed his ways, as reported, then I think SD can really make some noise in the playoffs this year. I would not be completely shocked by a SD/NE AFCC

Bowser
01-03-2005, 12:02 PM
<h1>IF</h1> Marty truly has changed his ways, as reported, then I think SD can really make some noise in the playoffs this year. I would not be completely shocked by a SD/NE AFCC

I would. That means both the Colts and Steelers go down. The Chargers are a vastly improved team, but AFC Championship material? I'm not so sure.

One thing's for sure....I'm looking forward to these matchups. Be better if the Chiefs were mixed in, but I'll take it.

Garcia Bronco
01-03-2005, 12:06 PM
If the Chargers make it to the Super Bowl and they play anybody besides Atlanta or Green Bay...I'm pulling for them.

Nzoner
01-03-2005, 12:13 PM
I was watching the Steelers @ Bills yesterday and even with Big Ben Bettis and some of the defensive starters sitting they looked very good against a decent Bills squad at their house.

Granted,it's the play-offs and anything can happen but I like the Steeler's depth.

Rain Man
01-03-2005, 12:23 PM
I wonder how many Super Bowls New England will have to win before we start viewing them as the favorite?

Personally, my number is six.