PDA

View Full Version : Gretz: A Bitter End

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-03-2005, 10:53 AM
GRETZ: A Bitter End
Jan 03, 2005, 10:28:24 AM by Bob Gretz

The columnists of www.kcchiefs.com will give attention to what the Chiefs must do for the future in the week ahead.

SAN DIEGO – Maybe it was better that the Chiefs finished the season with a nasty, ugly defeat.

Now, I know there are some around Arrowhead Stadium that would not agree with that assessment. If you could have seen the look on Carl Peterson’s face in the locker room at Qualcomm Stadium after the game, you would know that he does not think that. Same for Dick Vermeil.

The Chiefs were going for respectability on Sunday against the Chargers. They were going for an 8-8 record, a five-game winning streak to finish up the season, a four-game winning streak within the division. Dick Vermeil called the game the Chiefs playoffs.

How did they respond? They got their butts kicked by the San Diego jayvee team. Preparing for their first round game in the playoffs, the Chargers sat Drew Brees, LaDanian Tomlinson, Antonio Gates and a host of others on offense for the entire game. Defensively, they went with their starters for the first half, but sat guys like Donnie Edwards and Steve Foley for the second half.

Still, the Chargers controlled this game from start to finish. They picked off Trent Green not once, not twice, but four times. They held the Chiefs running game to a piddling 3.5 yards per carry. With Doug Flutie and Philip Rivers at quarterback, the San Diego offense was hardly scintillating, but it produced three touchdowns, or one more than the Chiefs, who are supposed to be one of the top scoring offenses in the league.

No, this was a very fitting end to a disappointing season. Had the Chiefs won, they would have ridden the momentum of that win streak into the off-season. The pain would have been dulled. The woulda, shoulda, coulda talk would have continued.

It’s different now. If this was their game in the playoffs as Vermeil said, then the Chiefs had no more business being in the post-season than the Minnesota Vikings, who lost seven of their last 10 games, finished the year 8-8 and backed into a spot in the NFC post-season field.

Sunday’s game changed the landscape for the Chiefs off-season. That could be seen in the reaction of some of the players and coaches in the locker room after the game. There was anger, frustration, embarrassment and disgust. The Chiefs left San Diego retching on the bad taste the outcome left in their mouth. If that doesn’t provide the motivation to make sure a season like 2004 doesn’t happen again, then nothing will. This game should be imprinted in the psyche of every person in the Chiefs organization. If there’s a player or coach who didn’t experience those four emotions, then Peterson and Vermeil should send them packing immediately.

Here’s more motivation: the Chargers are not a one-year wonder. They have one of the youngest teams in the league, a basket of cash to spend under the salary cap and two first-round selections in the 2005 NFL Draft. The Chiefs must now chase not only the Broncos, but the Chargers as well.

After the game, there were some in the media that wanted to highlight the final play of the first half as the perfect picture of the Chiefs season. On that play, Larry Johnson caught a screen pass from Trent Green and ran 40 yards and 24 feet. He needed 41 yards, as he came up just short of the end zone.

But it would be folly for the Chiefs to think they were that close in 2004; maybe in the NFC, but not in the AFC. The Chiefs have a lot of ground to make up if they are going to compete in the NFL’s best conference.

It’s far more than 12 inches.

Bob Dole
01-03-2005, 10:56 AM
embarrassment and disgust

Sums up the mood at Bob Dole's house.

InChiefsHeaven
01-03-2005, 11:02 AM
"Dick Vermeil called the game the Chiefs playoffs."

Well, shit. No damn wonder we lost...

BigChiefFan
01-03-2005, 11:04 AM
I actually agree with Gretz on this article. After hearing Vermeil say maybe we aren't as close as we thought we were after yesterday's game speaks volumes in my book. They actually believed we were getting better. I'm glad that they actually have some hint that the defense sucks ass and the personell is a major part of that problem. Talk is cheap though, let's see if they actually go after premier players.

Chief Henry
01-03-2005, 01:37 PM
I actually agree with Gretz on this article. After hearing Vermeil say maybe we aren't as close as we thought we were after yesterday's game speaks volumes in my book. They actually believed we were getting better. I'm glad that they actually have some hint that the defense sucks ass and the personell is a major part of that problem. Talk is cheap though, let's see if they actually go after premier players.

I didn't even listen to the post game interviews on the radio. I will
let the chiefs action(s) in the off season speak for themselfs. They sure did last off season.

But i do agree with what you said. I'm glad they have a hint that they
are not as good as what they think they are.

Kclee
01-03-2005, 01:47 PM
GRETZ: A Bitter End
On that play, Larry Johnson caught a screen pass from Trent Green and ran 40 yards and 24 feet. He needed 41 yards, as he came up just short of the end zone.

That would have put him about 7 yards deep in the endzone.

BigChiefFan
01-03-2005, 01:47 PM
I didn't even listen to the post game interviews on the radio. I will
let the chiefs action(s) in the off season speak for themselfs. They sure did last off season.

But i do agree with what you said. I'm glad they have a hint that they
are not as good as what they think they are.
I actually watched it on Metro Sports directly after the game. Vermeil seemed upset and he actually seemed liked he was distraught by the defense for a change. They asked him a question about the LCB being a problem all year long and he actually acknowledged the problem. He was aked about the TD passes that were completed against Dexter and he refused to comment. Hopefully, the denial is over.

Add to that, Carl Peterson was supposed to be on the radio in the 4th quarter for an interview and he cancelled. Looks like they are finally seeing what we have seen for years. I hate for the Chiefs to lose, but if that means they will actually go out and do some good things to improve the team, then it was good it got their attention for a change.

go bo
01-03-2005, 02:04 PM
unfortunately, carl's idea of "impact" players is people like holliday, mccleon and to a lesser extent, barber...

BigChiefFan
01-03-2005, 02:12 PM
unfortunately, carl's idea of "impact" players is people like holliday, mccleon and to a lesser extent, barber...
I know. I'm giving them this off-season to show us how much they want to improve. If they don't do much, I will be watching the games from the comfort of my own home at least until Carl retires.

KCTitus
01-03-2005, 02:13 PM

And Dalton...

BigChiefFan
01-03-2005, 02:15 PM
And Dalton...
Another good example. He's okay, but far from being all pro. Doesn't say much about the draftees in recent years, huh?

KCTitus
01-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Another good example. He's okay, but far from being all pro. Doesn't say much about the draftees in recent years, huh?

I believe Dalton was a FA, not a draftee.

BigChiefFan
01-03-2005, 02:22 PM
I believe Dalton was a FA, not a draftee.
I know Dalton was a FA. I'm talking about the likes of players like Freeman and Downing, both who didn't even make the team this past year.

Rain Man
01-03-2005, 02:24 PM
I have to say that I was impressed at Johnson's effort on that 40.7 yard screen pass. I was sure he'd made it until I saw the replay.

Chan93lx50
01-03-2005, 03:08 PM
I say give Gun whatever he wants.

If he wants coaching changes, make em.

Whoever he wants in FA get em.

Whoever he wants to draft, draft em.

They let numb nuts rip our defense apart so we could have a read and react cover 2 defense, let Gun get his players.

Its not like we could get any worse!