PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Improvements: Hinge on moving training camp to MO?

cmh6476
01-03-2005, 03:13 PM
I know I've gone back and forth before with a few of you about the stadium improvements. And I'm still betting that the improvements will go through from tax revenue generated by opposing teams playing at the complex. Here's an article from the St. Joe News Press from 12/30 that basically hints at this, and discusses the chiefs moving camp to St. Joe.
Thursday, December 30, 2004

Wildberger: K.C. risks losing teams if funds not provided

By SCOTT DOCHTERMAN
scottd@npgco.com

KANSAS CITY — Finding a short-term and long-term financial fix for the Truman Sports Complex is vital for keeping NFL and Major League Baseball teams in Kansas City, state Rep. Ed Wildberger, D-St. Joseph, said.
On Wednesday, Wildberger and several other Kansas City-metro area state legislators met with Chiefs officials and members of the Jackson County Sports Authority to discuss ways to fund stadium improvements at the complex. The meeting came nearly two months after a bi-state tax was voted down by taxpayers in five Kansas City-metro counties.

Wildberger said the meeting, which included Chiefs President Carl Peterson, also gave hope to local ambitions of landing the Chiefs training camp at Missouri Western State College.

“If we follow through and we give them money for a quick fix right now, I believe next fall they’ll announce they’re coming here,” Wildberger said.

“Carl told everyone present that St. Joseph had addressed all of his concerns — the weather (and) the ability to bring in other teams to practice with them. That’s why I felt so positive, especially when he talked to me afterwards.”

Wildberger approves of a state bill that would allow taxes generated by opposing players to remain within the complex for stadium improvements. He said he’s changed his view from a hard stance that would allow for such funds only if the team decided to relocate its training camp to St. Joseph.

The team has trained at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls since 1991. The Chiefs will train in River Falls next summer and holds a year-by-year option with the school that must be exercised by Oct. 1.

“My position has softened a little,” Wildberger said. “I believe that we need to find a solution to this immediately, or we risk the possibility of losing them.”

Wildberger said Jackson County Sports Authority officials mentioned relocation — including a possible Chiefs move to Los Angeles — as a result of not finding a way to fund improvements to Arrowhead Stadium and Kauffman Stadium. He said Jackson County would not be able to maintain the terms of its lease with the Chiefs and Royals without state funding.

Wildberger said finding a long-term solution also is essential. He said a possible solution might include legislation that directed all taxes generated at the stadium to funnel back to the complex for renovation.

“One of the ideas was a Super TIF (tax-increment financing package) where all the tax money generated within the complex, stays within the complex,” Wildberger said.

Chiefs officials will provide gross and net receipts to state legislators, Wildberger said.

Both Wildberger and Chiefs spokesman Bob Moore said relocation wasn’t mentioned by team officials. Moore declined to comment on specifics from the meeting but said he was encouraged by the tone.

“I think everybody in the room realized they had to do something,” Moore said. “Other people mentioned the fear of (relocation), and they brought it up.

“The Hunt family has never indicated that and certainly never threatened that.”

Wildberger said it was “kind of unnerving” that no Royals representatives attended the meeting. He called baseball’s system “broken.”

BigChiefFan
01-03-2005, 09:10 PM
I know I would like the Chiefs training camp to be alot closer to home.