PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents the Chiefs need to pick up !!!

royr17
01-03-2005, 05:58 PM
First off, OLB Julian Peterson, yes I know he's been injured but the guy is a all-pro linebacker and if he gets let go the Chiefs need to seriously bring in the guy.

Second, we need a CB I would prefer Smoot, Lucas, or Woodson, all thought Woodson isnt a team player but he is still better then anything else we have.

Thirdly, we need a Defense End, the only problem is I dont know of any Defensive Ends out there that are free agents that are better then what we have, I do know of one, JOHN ABRAHAM but we wont get him cause he'll more than likely be franchised.

Fourthly we need a Free Safety, yep a free safety, Shaunard Harts looked alright but he's not a star that we need, and I mean we need someone that can lay the heat at Free Safety.

Another position I would look at fixing is Middle Linebacker, there are some available that I really like in Kendrell Bell (would be a very awesome linebacker if he could stay healthy), Edgerton Hartwell is another, Zeke Moreno, Chris Claiborne, Ronald McKinnion and Jeremiah Trotter. But we can all forget about that because of DV's and guns love for Mitchell, and we have another good MLB in Rich which yall think isnt any good cause yall havent seen anything of him to prove to him.

But thats just my analysis of who we need to pick up if we get a chance, what about you guys ?

Nightfyre
01-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Two words... Salary Cap.

Nightfyre
01-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Two additional words... King Carl.

Bowser
01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Two additional words... King Carl.

You forgot the most important word....

royr17
Yep exactly. Thats the only problem we need a new DE, a new OLB, a new MLB only because of Mitchell slow learning period and they arent gonna give Rich a chance more than likely, a CB, and a new FS.

ArrowheadHawk
cant we just trade our defense + priest holmes to the redskins for their defence?

royr17
01-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Well im outta here for a while guys, keep the posts a coming.

Nightfyre
01-03-2005, 06:04 PM
I would agree that we need help in those areas. I think we can bring in three big name FAs this year if we go with 2 LBs because they are going to be cheap due to the many impact LB FAs available. First hit the corner spot. Sign Lucas. He is a UFA as opposed to Smoot who is RFA. Then sign your OLB and MLB. Trotter may be available. Bell is out there. Witherspoon from the panthers will be one of the cheaper good ones out there. He will be overlooked, I think. Then you think into the draft. Grab your DE or FS or a QBotF there.
-edit
Also of note.... Mike McMahon of the Lions will be a FA this year. He wouldnt be a bad QBotF.

BigChiefFan
01-03-2005, 06:08 PM
I like Julian Peterson, BUT he will cost a pretty penny and we need more than just one player in FA. Peterson is going to cost us way too much.

Wallcrawler
01-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Man, I would absolutely crap myself if the Chiefs were able to snag Julian Peterson. That guy is awesome, despite his injury problems this season.

He's the only linebacker Ive ever seen who can cover Tony Gonzalez by himself, and give the big guy trouble all game long. He would demand some big bank though, thats true, thats why I dont really see it happening.

Charles Woodson has stated that he wants to be the highest paid corner in the league, so he is instantly out of the picture.

Ken Lucas would be a big improvement over what we have now, and someone we actually have a shot at.

Philip Buchanon from the Raiders has stated that he wants out via a trade, so if KC were so inclined, they could probably work a deal to get him. Hes a pure cover corner with outstanding pass coverage skills, but not the best tackler.

Kendrell Bell, Im almost positive will be retained by the Steelers. Art Rooney knows how to run a football team, Carl could take some notes and do us all a favor in that department.

The ravens may be another story. Edgerton Hartwell would be an outstanding addition as well. But then again, just about anything is better than Kawika Mitchell and Monty Beisel.

Free Safety is a huge gap also. Woods is washed up. His candle burned the brightest last year in his pro bowl year, and it flat burned out this year. Ive never seen him play so badly, and miss so many games. Shaunard harts puts forth good effort, and makes some big hits at times, but he has not the consistency to be considered the answer to that problem.

The biggest problem right now is Middle linebacker and Cornerback. Those areas have got to be addressed, or the defense will be embarrassed all season long next year as well.

RealSNR
01-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I would rather we not worry about FS or DE in FA. Leave those spots open for the draft. Pick best available defensive player in round 1 and then play it by ear.

I think the hole at MLB is more glaring than some people think. An ideal situation would be to sign a big-name guy to a short term contract. I doubt players like Hartwell and Moreno will be looking for a pitstop in KC for their career. They'll either want a long term offer with plenty of $$$ or no offer at all. Hopefully Carl will work his magic here, which may or may not be a good thing :banghead:

Sign a FA CB. That's a must

Sign a FA OLB. That's an almost must

I'm looking for a strong draft this year as well. This is a year where it would be really helpful if our first round pick didn't suck, and if he even played some good football his rookie season

AZChief
01-03-2005, 08:30 PM
fourthly?

htismaqe
01-04-2005, 08:09 AM
all thought Woodson isnt a team player but he is still better then anything else we have.

I simply don't understand this mindset. With so many options in the draft and free agency, why should we settle for a guy that's an obvious problem just because he's "better than what we have"?

EVERYBODY in free agency is better than what we have.

RNR
01-04-2005, 08:21 AM
all thought Woodson isnt a team player but he is still better then anything else we have.

I simply don't understand this mindset. With so many options in the draft and free agency, why should we settle for a guy that's an obvious problem just because he's "better than what we have"?

EVERYBODY in free agency is better than what we have. You got to admit him and Warfield on the same team could make for some great headlines. Who's driving, What is riding shot gun, I don't know pulled us over.

Hammock Parties
01-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Roy, why would you think the Chiefs need a middle linebacker? They have Rich Scanlon!

KingPriest2
01-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Man, I would absolutely crap myself if the Chiefs were able to snag Julian Peterson. That guy is awesome, despite his injury problems this season.

He's the only linebacker Ive ever seen who can cover Tony Gonzalez by himself, and give the big guy trouble all game long. He would demand some big bank though, thats true, thats why I dont really see it happening.

If I am not mistaken but wasn't he basically mugging Gonzo all game and not calling it? I remember alot of people saying that he was. And that he is also being called overrated by people.

htismaqe
01-04-2005, 08:31 AM
If I am not mistaken but wasn't he basically mugging Gonzo all game and not calling it? I remember alot of people saying that he was. And that is is also being called overrated by people.

He was mugging Gonzo in that game.

Overrated, he is not.

InChiefsHeaven
01-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Everybody mugs Gonzo every game. The have to. They have no choice.

royr17
01-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Roy, why would you think the Chiefs need a middle linebacker? They have Rich Scanlon!

I dont if they will give Rich a chance, but I dont see that happening, and I dont think Kawika is gonna be as good as they thought, he'll be alright, but why pass up on a free agent all-pro middle linebacker out there when you have the chance to get one.

Hoover
01-04-2005, 09:21 AM
I would rather we not worry about FS or DE in FA. Leave those spots open for the draft. Pick best available defensive player in round 1 and then play it by ear.

I think the hole at MLB is more glaring than some people think. An ideal situation would be to sign a big-name guy to a short term contract. I doubt players like Hartwell and Moreno will be looking for a pitstop in KC for their career. They'll either want a long term offer with plenty of $$$ or no offer at all. Hopefully Carl will work his magic here, which may or may not be a good thing :banghead:

Sign a FA CB. That's a must

Sign a FA OLB. That's an almost must

I'm looking for a strong draft this year as well. This is a year where it would be really helpful if our first round pick didn't suck, and if he even played some good football his rookie season
I agree with most of that.

I think we have 4-5 holes that we must try to fill on the defense. They are the following positions (No Order)

1. DE
2. MLB
3. OLB
4. #1 CB
5. FS

Theses are the FAs we must sign before the draft.

I think we can go after a guy like Hartwell for MLB and it will not bust the bank. While some think that Mitchell is coming on, I don't want to go into the season as my starter. The worst thing that can happen is we have depth for the first time in years at MLB.

CB: We are not going to be able to draft a CB at 15, start him, and hope to make the playoffs. While I don't mind drafting a CB, I think we should sign a FA CB.

OLB: If we can drop Barber and save money vs the Cap we should do it in a heartbeat. At 15 I don't think there will be an OLB sitting there worth that pick (Johnson will be gone). So finding a replacement in FA is a must.

Draft.

I really want a DE in round one. I think its a true need for the Chiefs. Getting a good one in FA will be expensive and who knows it could be another Holliday. At 15 we should be able to land one of the top DEs But even if we don't go DE in round one because a OLB or CB falls, we should then try to get a DE like Roth from Iowa.

htismaqe
01-04-2005, 09:24 AM
I agree with most of that.

I think we have 4-5 holes that we must try to fill on the defense. They are the following positions (No Order)

1. DE
2. MLB
3. OLB
4. #1 CB
5. FS

Theses are the FAs we must sign before the draft.

I think we can go after a guy like Hartwell for MLB and it will not bust the bank. While some think that Mitchell is coming on, I don't want to go into the season as my starter. The worst thing that can happen is we have depth for the first time in years at MLB.

CB: We are not going to be able to draft a CB at 15, start him, and hope to make the playoffs. While I don't mind drafting a CB, I think we should sign a FA CB.

OLB: If we can drop Barber and save money vs the Cap we should do it in a heartbeat. At 15 I don't think there will be an OLB sitting there worth that pick (Johnson will be gone). So finding a replacement in FA is a must.

Draft.

I really want a DE in round one. I think its a true need for the Chiefs. Getting a good one in FA will be expensive and who knows it could be another Holliday. At 15 we should be able to land one of the top DEs But even if we don't go DE in round one because a OLB or CB falls, we should then try to get a DE like Roth from Iowa.

I like that plan. The only thing I would add is that I think we should look to the draft for a FS.

Hoover
01-04-2005, 09:50 AM
I like that plan. The only thing I would add is that I think we should look to the draft for a FS.
I know, I just don't know who is out there and if the Chiefs will actually have the balls to cut Woods.

htismaqe
01-04-2005, 09:58 AM
I know, I just don't know who is out there and if the Chiefs will actually have the balls to cut Woods.

Honestly, people might think I'm nuts, but I'd draft Thomas Davis and put him at SS. He struggles a bit in coverage, but he's a solid hitter.

I'd move Wesley (who has become more of a "coverage" guy anyway) to FS...

Hammock Parties
01-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Honestly, people might think I'm nuts, but I'd draft Thomas Davis and put him at SS. He struggles a bit in coverage, but he's a solid hitter.

I'd move Wesley (who has become more of a "coverage" guy anyway) to FS...

I think free agency is the route for both FS AND CB. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with a rookie at FS out there.

Can the Chiefs land 4 or 5 new starters from free agency? I doubt it.

I think the most likely scenario is Woods returning as the starter. He's under contract and he's a Gunther guy. I'd be shocked if he's replaced. Same with Hicks and Mitchell.

I think best we can hope for is replacement OLB and CB

htismaqe
01-04-2005, 10:22 AM
I think free agency is the route for both FS AND CB. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with a rookie at FS out there.

Can the Chiefs land 4 or 5 new starters from free agency? I doubt it.

I think the most likely scenario is Woods returning as the starter. He's under contract and he's a Gunther guy. I'd be shocked if he's replaced. Same with Hicks and Mitchell.

I think best we can hope for is replacement OLB and CB

Safety is one of the easiest postions to make the transition from college to pros.

The perfect offseason to me would be:

Draft - starting DE, starting FS, and then CB and OLB (depth, possible starters)
Free Agency - starting CB, starting MLB

bricks
01-04-2005, 10:25 AM
You got to admit him and Warfield on the same team could make for some great headlines. Who's driving, What is riding shot gun, I don't know pulled us over.

ROFL