PDA

View Full Version : LMFAO

WebGem
01-03-2005, 09:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpa2lpNnFzBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0bQ--?slug=ap-angels-namechange&prov=ap&type=lgns

"The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim"

LOL, why don't they just name the team the Earth North America United States California Orange County Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?

Angels add Los Angeles to name, sparking fight with Anaheim

January 3, 2005

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- Baseball's Angels have a new name, and it's a mouthful: The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

The switch, which will be challenged in court by the city of Anaheim, is intended to help the team market itself to more of Southern California, attract more advertising sponsors and broadcast revenue, the team said Monday.

``We believe that the appeal in the marketplace will be broader,'' Angels spokesman Tim Mead said.

ADVERTISEMENT
The city of Anaheim will file a lawsuit to block the name change and hopes to obtain a temporary restraining order in place this week, city spokesman John Nicoletti said.

Anaheim officials believe the change violates the terms of the team's 33-year lease with the city.

``It's geographically confusing and absurd,'' Nicoletti said. ``No other professional sports franchise that I know of has two different cities in its names.''

When the franchise began in 1961, owned by singing cowboy Gene Autry, it was the Los Angeles Angels. The team became the California Angels when it moved to Anaheim in 1966. In 1997, when the team was controlled by The Walt Disney Co., the franchise was renamed the Anaheim Angels.

Arte Moreno bought the team in 2003, one year after it won the World Series, and he wanted to change the name.

The Angels drew 3,375,677 last season, the third-highest total in baseball behind the New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers.

Updated on Monday, Jan 3, 2005 2:47 pm EST

Taco John
01-03-2005, 09:08 PM
I just heard about this... Looks like we shared the same reaction...

Thig Lyfe
01-03-2005, 09:24 PM
They should go with the SoCal Angels. It would achieve their goal of a broader fan appeal, and would be less of a mouthful.

BTW, this is my first post from my newly wi-fi enabled PDA. Technology is awesome.

Marco Polo
01-03-2005, 09:25 PM
hell... even make it broader and dare I say "California Angels"? Naw, they'd never do that. Oh wait...