PDA

View Full Version : Terry Shea just got fired from the Bears OC

Hoover
01-04-2005, 01:07 PM
The Score 670 am out of Chicago just had the news.

Do you guys think we should bring him back as QB coach?

In other Bears news, Lovie Smith said that getting better on offense is his top goal this offseason and will use their top pick on offense.

Nere is the news story from www.chicagosports.com

The Bears fired offensive coordinator Terry Shea Tuesday after a season in which the team had the NFL's worst offense.

The Bears, who finished 5-11, also ranked last in six major statistical categories, including scoring and total yards. Shea had been with the Bears for one season.

"It was a tough decision," said Lovie Smith, who just finished his first season as Bears head coach. "He's a good man, a good coach, but I felt like this was the direction that we had to go to."

Smith said the team is in the process of looking for a replacement.

The Bears lost six of its last seven games. The Bears had more lost fumbles (21) than offensive touchdowns (19).

"Every coach had all of my full support really as were going through the season, but as you look at things after the season and we're 5-11 and that isn't good enough," Smith said.

Shea was previously the quarterbacks coach of the high-scoring Kansas City Chiefs. His hiring last January had been applauded by Bears fans and players alike, who hoped he would bring excitement to an offense that was characterized as boring under the man he replaced, John Shoop.

Also, none other than the father of the "West Coast" offense, Bill Walsh, praised Shea as an innovator when Shea was being considered for the Bears job.

Shea came aboard promising a major makeover featuring a version of the offense style that calls on the quarterback to make accurate throws and get the ball to receivers and backs, who are counted on to get yardage after the catch and make adjustments depending on the defense. It's predicated on first-down production, protecting the football and reeling off sizable plays.

But the Bears were unable to pull it off.

And in fairness, Shea's offense didn't have all of its working parts. Quarterback Rex Grossman was lost in the third game of the season with a knee injury, and the Bears went through three more starters.

Shea had been Walsh's offensive coordinator at Stanford from 1992-94, and he joined the Chiefs in 2001 after five years as head coach at Rutgers, where he compiled an 11-44 record.

Following his three-year stint with Walsh at Stanford, he was with the CFL's British Columbia Lions in 1995. Shea joined Stanford after a two-year head coaching stint at San Jose State (1990-91) where he compiled a 15-6-2 record and led the school to a pair of Big West titles.
Copyright © 2005, The Associated Press

ILChief
01-04-2005, 01:08 PM
that's a quick hook IMHO. his QB goes down in the beginning of the year and they have no good WRs.

NewChief
Shea is an excellent QB coach and has a great relationship with Trent. I wouldn't mind seeing him return.

Ultra Peanut
Whoa.

Phobia
01-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Shocking. Heh. Poor Shea. He was in over his head.

Hoover
01-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Shocking. Heh. Poor Shea. He was in over his head.
I think it would be smart to bring him back. When DV goes it would be nice to see if he cuold be OC under a new HC.

beer bacon
01-04-2005, 01:12 PM
I would bring him back in a second.

Hammock Parties
01-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Yeah, please come back. Trent needs you.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2005, 01:18 PM
What a novel F'N idea.

The guy under performs and he loses his job.

It's an amazing concept that the Chiefs have never grasped.

The Bears had awful talent and they STILL fired the coordinator.

Manila-Chief
01-04-2005, 01:29 PM
What a novel F'N idea.

You are very correct!!!

HolmeZz
01-04-2005, 01:34 PM
He's welcomed back.

Chief Faithful
01-04-2005, 01:35 PM
What a novel F'N idea.

Maybe they could apply the concept to Giunta, Pagac, and Dean.

Mile High Mania
01-04-2005, 01:41 PM
On the bright side... this is one former KC coach that is not in the playoffs this year.

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 01:43 PM
On the bright side... this is one former KC coach that is not in the playoffs this year.
BASTARD!
:p

Mile High Mania
01-04-2005, 01:44 PM
BASTARD!
:p

Thank you... (bows) there's another show at 4. Tip your waitress.

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 01:46 PM

Kind of like when KC fired Robinson after last season?

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 01:48 PM
But the Bears are better than the Chiefs in one respect, they actually tried to improve their poor QB play by signing Jeff George among other FA's.

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 01:51 PM
hehehe
Jeff George
hahahaha

ROFL

Frazod
01-04-2005, 01:55 PM
No big shock here. He promised the Chiefs' O and delivered Tait and Quinn and nothing else. Tait did little before getting injured, and after Grossman went down Quinn ended up being so f#cking horrible he made Rick Mirer look good. Oops.

All of Chicago has been calling for Shea's head. I sort of think he got hosed, but I certainly don't care all that much.

Basically, to run our O you need our players. Duh.

HolmeZz
01-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Chicago doesn't have 1/10th the talent we have on offense. I really don't know what they expected from him.

HemiEd
01-04-2005, 01:59 PM
But the Bears are better than the Chiefs in one respect, they actually tried to improve their poor QB play by signing Jeff George among other FA's.
Bears media hype will not allow any long term solution. Quinn was a total bust, literally froze up. Thier offensive line is so poor that they have gone through 16 qbs since I moved here in 96. IMO the Jeff George thing was a "knee Jerk" reaction to make the fans think they were going some where this year. They were actually talking play-offs up here until the last two weeks!
Terry Shea was the sacrifice to the fans, they will now feel that things will be better next year. Guess what, they won't because they will not give anything a chance to be successful!
Chiefs fans are so fortunate to have Lamar Hunt as an owner, the McCaskys do use the Bears for income.
Go Chiefs!

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Offsense starts with an OL...Chicago gave up 9 sacks against GB last Sunday.

Mile High Mania
01-04-2005, 02:00 PM

That signing earned the 2004 Crickets Chirping Award for the lamest free agent signing at the most insignificant time. They wound up giving him several hundred thousand based on his tenure, right? For freaking nothing.

tk13
01-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Wow, Shea got totally hosed. His young stud QB went down right off the bat and Lovie traded his best WR (Marty Booker) so he could have Ogunleye for his defense, and imagine that, the offense stunk. Shea didn't get a fair shot at all, I'd definitely welcome him back...

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 02:07 PM
That signing earned the 2004 Crickets Chirping Award for the lamest free agent signing at the most insignificant time. They wound up giving him several hundred thousand based on his tenure, right? For freaking nothing.

I thought it was genious (chiefsplanet spelling) and Im sure there were at least 20-30 "We're back, baby!" threads on Bearsplanet.com

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 02:28 PM
I thought I would take a look at Chicago's draft history since 2000 to evaluate their offensive issues...

2000:
#3, WR: Dez White, plays for Atlanta
#4, OT: Kaulana Noa, not in NFL
#6, RB: Frank Murphy, not in NFL

2001:
#1, WR: David Terrell, "somewhat a failure" using CP talent eval chart
#2, RB: Anthony Thomas, only started 2 games in 2004.
#3, OG: Mike Gandy, not in NFL
#5, OT: Bernard Robertson, not in NFL
#7, WR: John Capel, not in NFL

2002:
#1, OT: Marc Colombo, started 2 games in 2004, played in 8
#3, OG: Terrence Metcalf, started 5 games in 2004, played in 13
#6, WR: Jamin Elliott, not in NFL
#6, TE: Bryan Fletcher, not in NFL
#6, RB: Adrian Peterson, 6 carries for 19 yards in 2004

2003:
#1, QB: Rex Grossman, Injured in 2004
#5, WR: Justin Gage, 12 catches for 156 yards in 2004
#6, RB: Brock Forsey, plays for Miami
#7, OG: Bryan Anderson, played in 4 games in 2004

Looks like KC isnt the only team that has problems drafting talent for need.

HemiEd
01-04-2005, 02:34 PM
I thought I would take a look at Chicago's draft history since 2000 to evaluate their offensive issues...

2000:

2001:

2002:

2003:

What makes it even worse, their average draft position. You obviously have access to some good data, it must be in the top 8?
We (KC) moved up to get a 6 from 8 once in the last fifteen years from memory.

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 02:37 PM
What makes it even worse, their average draft position. You obviously have access to some good data, it must be in the top 8?
We (KC) moved up to get a 6 from 8 once in the last fifteen years from memory.

2000: #9
2001: #8
2002: #29 (not sure if this was a trade down, later rounds indicate 6 or 7)
2003: #14 and #22
2004: #14

HemiEd
01-04-2005, 02:42 PM
They say the older you get the faster time flies. It seems like just a couple of years ago they were drafting Rashaan Salaam, Cabe Mcknown, Curtis Enis etc. in the top five. Thanks for the information.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2005, 02:46 PM

Kind of like when KC kept him for 3 years when the defense was awful every year.

Robinson resigned - he didn't get fired. He told Vermeil that it might be best if he left and he resigned.

shaneo69
01-04-2005, 02:49 PM

2000:

2001:

2002:

2003:

The Bears are the NFC version of the Chiefs. Except that during their "good" decade under Ditka (unlike ours under Marty), the killer defense they built actually won them a Super Bowl.

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Kind of like when KC kept him for 3 years when the defense was awful every year.

Robinson resigned - he didn't get fired. He told Vermeil that it might be best if he left and he resigned.

Parsing...he was gone after last year.

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Parsing...he was gone after last year.
You're the one who's parsing, Titus... TBG is 100% correct: Knobinson reigned; the Bears TERMINATED Shea.

Mile High Mania
01-04-2005, 03:05 PM
2000: #9
2001: #8
2002: #29 (not sure if this was a trade down, later rounds indicate 6 or 7)
2003: #14 and #22
2004: #14

The players in those respective drafts that were still on the clock when Chicago picked were saying "THANK YOU JESUS" when they heard another name called with the Bears' pick.

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 03:07 PM
You're the one who's parsing, Titus... TBG is 100% correct: Knobinson reigned; the Bears TERMINATED Shea.

LOL...there's no difference. I understand the need to parse a difference out of it so as to maintain the fantasy.

Franks says that it was a good thing to get rid of a coordinator even though he had terrible talent and contrasted that to KC and KC did just that last year. How the termination came about is irrelevant.

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 03:08 PM
What fantasy?
Methinks you are projecting, Rufus. :p

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 03:10 PM
What fantasy?
Methinks you are projecting, Rufus. :p

The one that has you believing you actually know what goes on behind the scenes at 1 Arrowhead Drive.

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Did Robinson resign as DC at the end of last season?
Yes or no question, Rufus.

Was Terry Shea terminated as OC at the end of this season?
Again, yes or no?

Looks like you're the only one buying into a fantasy here.

|Zach|
01-04-2005, 03:12 PM
The one that has you believing you actually know what goes on behind the scenes at 1 Arrowhead Drive.
Shut up...if it is said in public then it is so behind the scenes.

Frankie
01-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Yeah, please come back. Trent needs you.

Why? Trent's just had a record breaking season. Who's the Chiefs QB coach now? If TS comes back here to coach, what will happen to the current guy?

beer bacon
01-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Why? Trent's just had a record breaking season. Who's the Chiefs QB coach now? If TS comes back here to coach, what will happen to the current guy?

He will be made DB coach. Hopefully.

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Did Robinson resign as DC at the end of last season?
Yes or no question, Rufus.

Was Terry Shea terminated as OC at the end of this season?
Again, yes or no?

Looks like you're the only one buying into a fantasy here.

Please explain to me why this matters?

Frank said this:

What a novel F'N idea.

KC did this last year, when Robinson left. How Robinson lost his job is immaterial. This 'concept' that the Chiefs have never grasped happened just last year, and the fact that I point this out has given you bad case of sandgina.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Please explain to me why this matters?

You don't see the difference between having an organization fire you over resigning?

The Bears fired Shea because he didn't get it done.

Robinson had to fire himself.

Then again, the Chiefs never fire assistants regardless of performance. Hackett had to go to USC, Raye and Kurt S left with Gunther.

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 03:23 PM
YOU said Robinson was fired; trying to argue that TBG was incorrect in stating the firing of a crappy coordinator (see: Shea, deserved or otherwise) was a novel concept.

You then proceeded to dodge & throw out your usual "oh, you're just parsing" line... I called you on it.

Now answer the question: did Robinson resign as Kansas City's DC at the end of the 2003 season, or not? If you have some 'insider info', I'd love to see it. Otherwise, keep your 'fantasy' comments to yourself.

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 03:25 PM
YOU said Robinson was fired; trying to argue that TBG was incorrect in stating the firing of a crappy coordinator (see: Shea, deserved or otherwise) was a novel concept.

You then proceeded to dodge & throw out your usual "oh, you're just parsing" line... I called you on it.

Now answer the question: did Robinson resign as Kansas City's DC at the end of the 2003 season, or not? If you have some 'insider info', I'd love to see it. Otherwise, keep your 'fantasy' comments to yourself.

I never said Robinson was fired...please provide the quote where I said that.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2005, 03:25 PM

Carl Peterson must have compromising pictures of Titus with the way he defends their decisions.

Heaven forbid, disagree and complain about a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 11 years.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2005, 03:26 PM

Here's the quote you were looking for.

You did say he was fired.

You spin me right round, baby right round, like a record.

Round, round, round, round.

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 03:26 PM
You don't see the difference between having an organization fire you over resigning?

The Bears fired Shea because he didn't get it done.

Robinson had to fire himself.

Then again, the Chiefs never fire assistants regardless of performance. Hackett had to go to USC, Raye and Kurt S left with Gunther.

There is no difference, both methods lead to the same destination.

You ascribe some nefarious scenario, I dont really care...both are gone, so it really doesnt matter.

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Carl Peterson must have compromising pictures of Titus with the way he defends their decisions.

Heaven forbid, disagree and complain about a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 11 years.

Oh gee, that's funny...I think that makes the 107th time that has been posted. Nice work...

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 03:27 PM

Right on this thread, Titus. Post #16.

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Here's the quote you were looking for.

You did say he was fired.

You spin me right round, baby right round, like a record.

Round, round, round, round.

I did say it...ok, fine. It still doesnt matter to me how Robinson left, he lost his job for not performing that 'novel' concept that you claimed KC has yet to grasp.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Oh gee, that's funny...I think that makes the 107th time that has been posted. Nice work...

If the shoe fits, wear it.

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 03:31 PM
I did say it...ok, fine. It still doesnt matter to me how Robinson left, he lost his job for not performing that 'novel' concept that you claimed KC has yet to grasp.

No, he didn't Titus... and that's the point. DV went blathering on & on during the press conference at what a great DC Knobinson was and how he's a "real man" and blah blah blah , whimper, *wipe away tears*

Robinson was a FAILURE, but he wouldn't have gone anywhere if he hadn't resigned. DV certainly would not have fired him.

tk13
Based on Carl's comments and actions, I think he would've stepped in and whacked G-Rob had he not "resigned", so I think you're all arguing over nothing... actually IIRC even Vermeil made some comments critical of Robinson that kinda alluded to him potentially being fired after some of the disasters near the end of the '03 season.

KCTitus

Feh...I've never claimed any inside knowledge, quite the contrary. Im honest enough to admit I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes at Arrowhead.

I just call it out when those that pretend to do, do it here.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2005, 03:32 PM

It does matter how he left. Well, it doesn't matter to do you because your lips are firmly cemented on the Chiefs ass so it defeats your argument to realize that it does.

Robinson had to remove himself because this organization wasn't going to do it.

The Chiefs didn't realize any concept. The guy who sucked shit had to hand himself his own pink slip.

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 03:33 PM
If the shoe fits, wear it.

Yep, I caught you acting like a genious (chiefsplanet spelling) and called you out. Please continue with the witty, Carl's got pictures of Titus posts...

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Feh...I've never claimed any inside knowledge, quite the contrary. Im honest enough to admit I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes at Arrowhead.

I just call it out when those that pretend to do, do it here.

You should learn to apply the same criteria to your own posts. TBG was factually accurate: in KC, firing gawd-awful coordinators/coaches IS a novel concept. You're the one who proclaimed that he was wrong because we fired Robinson, when we clearly had not. Unless you had inside knowlege, you're talking out your ass.

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Robinson was a FAILURE, but he wouldn't have gone anywhere if he hadn't resigned. DV certainly would not have fired him.

Feh...Robinson lacked talent, I think we should at least be able to agree on this point considering all the wailing about how 'no moves on defense' is the new war cry for this last offseason.

Everyone was calling for the head of Robinson, and he fell on his sword. Gunther didnt improve the defense dramatically, so we're back to talent being the issue, which was the issue all along.

|Zach|
01-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Bottom Line...if Carl does not sign Hugh Douglas he needs to be shown the door.

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 03:37 PM
The Chiefs didn't realize any concept. The guy who sucked shit had to hand himself his own pink slip.

If this argument is to hold up, we would have seen a dramatic improvement on defense...we didnt.

Matter of fact, a few of KC's stops in the latter weeks of the season were the result of Gunther using some of Robinson's schemes and backing off his attacking style. DV mentioned this in one of his press conferences.

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 03:38 PM
No doubt talent is an issue. I screamed about it during th offseason, I screamed about it during the season, and will CONTINUE to scream about until the Chiefs get off their ASS and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

The last thing I want to hear is a bunch of frigging excuses... and that's what I've been seeing nothing but, lately. :grr:

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 03:40 PM
You should learn to apply the same criteria to your own posts. TBG was factually accurate: in KC, firing gawd-awful coordinators/coaches IS a novel concept. You're the one who proclaimed that he was wrong because we fired Robinson, when we clearly had not. Unless you had inside knowlege, you're talking out your ass.

Re read his post...firing was not his key point. His key point was that it was a novel concept for a coordinator to lose his job for not getting it done.

Thanks to my misspeak, we've got to key in on the firing angle to deflect the nonsense that was originally posted. That's fine, Im a big boy, I can handle it.

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 03:40 PM
And, for the record, I gave the Chiefs ZERO dollars this season. I did not purchase tickets, I did not pay for parking. I did not purchase Chiefs gear, nor would I allow my family to purchase it for me.

Until they make an effort to fix the f*cked up mess they've built, they will see not a dime from me.

tk13
01-04-2005, 03:42 PM

While I agree that you have a point against Titus that there can be a huge difference between being fired and resigning and I agree that we are too passive with front office moves, but you cannot bash him for using conjecture when in fact you yourself are doing the same thing considering the Robinson resigned about 10 seconds after the Colts playoff game and never gave the front office a change to decide his fate....

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 03:42 PM
And, for the record, I gave the Chiefs ZERO dollars this season. I did not purchase tickets, I did not pay for parking. I did not purchase Chiefs gear, nor would I allow my family to purchase it for me.

Until they make an effort to fix the f*cked up mess they've built, they will see not a dime from me.

Neither did I...yet I come off as some sort of nazi-homer or something. Well, I did buy my son a Dante jersey for Christmas, Im nuturing a budding fanship as he's discovered football this year and watched games with me.

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 03:43 PM
His key point was that it was a novel concept for a coordinator to lose his job for not getting it done.

And considering KC's history, is he really that far off? Seriously, when was the last time KC gave someone their walking papers?

Gunther is the ONLY one that comes to mind... and that was only because CP finally talked DV into coaching in KC. DV says no, Gun & the Stooges would have finished out their contracts, and you know it.

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 03:45 PM
While I agree that you have a point against Titus that there can be a huge difference between being fired and resigning and I agree that we are too passive with front office moves, but you cannot bash him for using conjecture when in fact you yourself are doing the same thing considering the Robinson resigned about 10 seconds after the Colts playoff game and never gave the front office a change to decide his fate....

Conjecture, with the assistance of DV's own words from the press conference. He clearly did not want Knobinson to go. CP I cannot speak for, but he hasn't fired many people in his tenure (despite one playoff win in 12 years)

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Gunther is the ONLY one that comes to mind... and that was only because CP finally talked DV into coaching in KC. DV says no, Gun & the Stooges would have finished out their contracts, and you know it.

Should I put this one down with the lore that says DV drafted Lawrence Phillips, too?

The Bad Guy
01-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Yep, I caught you acting like a genious (chiefsplanet spelling) and called you out. Please continue with the witty, Carl's got pictures of Titus posts...

You caught me acting like a genius?

Good one.

Acting like a genius how? Saying that resigning is different than organization firing someone?

You call out people who disagree with your precious Carl Peterson - I should of known better.

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Should I put this one down with the lore that says DV drafted Lawrence Phillips, too?

No, but it can be filed away with the "DV clung to Larry Phillips and Tony Banks until he was forced to use someone else by the front office" lore.

Rausch
01-04-2005, 04:00 PM
It does matter how he left. Well, it doesn't matter to do you because your lips are firmly cemented on the Chiefs ass so it defeats your argument to realize that it does.

Robinson had to remove himself because this organization wasn't going to do it.

To this day I don't believe that any more than I believe Marty "resigned."

I can't prove it, of course, but it's my belief...

tk13
01-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Conjecture, with the assistance of DV's own words from the press conference. He clearly did not want Knobinson to go. CP I cannot speak for, but he hasn't fired many people in his tenure (despite one playoff win in 12 years)
I'm sorry, but you're just fudging things to support your argument, that's worse than conjecture. From Robinson's own mouth...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/7700451.htm

Robinson said that on Monday afternoon, he spoke with Vermeil and told him he would resign if Vermeil thought that was best for the team.

"He told me that he thought it would be," Robinson said.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-04-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm shocked that Shea's love for Jonathon Quinn didn't work out....

Chiefs Pantalones
01-04-2005, 04:26 PM
I don't think he deserved to get fired; not after one year. He needs the players to run the system he wants to. It wasn't his fault that the Bears front office and co. didn't get him the players, and it wasn't his fault that the players he did have sucked or got injured.

Frankie
01-04-2005, 04:39 PM
I don't think he deserved to get fired; not after one year. He needs the players to run the system he wants to. It wasn't his fault that the Bears front office and co. didn't get him the players, and it wasn't his fault that the players he did have sucked or got injured.

Maybe Lovie Smith is just trigger happy.

Flustrated
01-04-2005, 04:41 PM
http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 3:04 p.m. EST, January 4, 2005

SHEA GETTING SH-T-CANNED

Word out of Chitown is that the Bears will be firing offensive coordinator Terry Shea at a 3:00 p.m. CST press conference.

Shea, who served as the Chiefs quarterbacks coach in Kansas City before joining Lovie Smith's staff last year, was responsible for the team's ill-fated decision to settle on Jonathan Quinn, Medicine Woman as the No. 2 quarterback.

Potential replacements include Rams coach Mike Martz, if he gets run out of St. Louis.

The move shows, in our view, that Smith is serious about doing what is necessary to build a winner, even if it means admitting to mistakes along the way. Shea, we're told, was not liked by other coaches on the staff or by members of the front office, and the team's horrendous performance -- coupled with his blind faith in the unproven Quinn -- made the decision a no-brainer, and kudos to Lovie for being able to view the matter objectively, and make the right decision.

Flustrated
01-04-2005, 04:43 PM
I always like the no nonsense of this sight even if they are wrong half the time

TRR
01-04-2005, 04:43 PM
What do you expect Terry Shea to do in his first season implenting a new scheme, and more over, with the talent the Bears had on the offensive side of the ball. The Bears O is horrible. Nobody could have gotten more out of that sh*tty team than Shea did.

Deberg_1990
01-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Hmmmm....Sounds like hes loved to give Quinn knob jobs about as much as DV loves giving them to Green.

HemiEd
01-04-2005, 04:52 PM
To this day I don't believe that any more than I believe Marty "resigned."

I can't prove it, of course, but it's my belief...

I read a lot of stuff about Marty's resignation on another site about the time that it all happened. If one tenth of it is true your suspicions are well founded! I will not repeat any of them because I do not know them for being facts. I did read one inference to the same information on this site yesterday though.

cmh6476
01-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Found this at FFToday:

Well, I think the problems with Shea whent beyond his predictable terrible play calling. He never made adjustments, would abandon the run frequently without reason (Especially considering our QB situation), and would negelect what talent he had on offense and would not put them in a position to be successful. I'm glad they axed him, to be honest.

Here is something from the Sun Times the day before he got fired:

One player who asked not to be identified said if Shea is back, he needs to head up to the coaching box because he can't see what is going on from the sideline. The player said the problem with Shea is stubbornness, that he never listens to his players or feigns listening and calls what he wants anyway.

There have been problems within the staff, too. One local television station has a tape of running backs coach Tim Spencer screaming at Shea on the sideline during a victory against the Minnesota Vikings last month. A source said Shea was calling a play that featured tight end Desmond Clark and fullback Bryan Johnson, both of whom were out of the game at the time. Spencer informed Shea of that fact, only to be ignored, then went ballistic.

Smith's staff was the sixth to be put together among seven new hires last offseason, and many of the coaches never had worked together. Shea has kept his own counsel in putting together his game plans, and that has caused some dissension among offensive assistants, none of whom were brought in by the coordinator. In other words, he doesn't have someone to cover his back with the rest of the staff.

Looks to me like the Bears made the right move.