PDA

View Full Version : Draft Picks

beavis
01-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Anybody have a breakdown on the number of picks we have, and what round they are in? I could have sworn I heard DV say we had 11 picks this year, could that be right?

Phobia
01-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Yeah - that's right. We picked up some extra 2nd day picks. Nothing to get overly excited about....

beavis
01-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Yeah - that's right. We picked up some extra 2nd day picks. Nothing to get overly excited about....
I was just curious as to what round they were and how we got them. I figured at best we would break even after the Welbourn and Cheek trades.

Bowser
01-04-2005, 08:35 PM
I was just curious as to what round they were and how we got them. I figured at best we would break even after the Welbourn and Cheek trades.

Since we cut Cheek, did we lose our 7th? It was conditional, right? I'm not the sharpest nife in the drawer, but shouldn't cutting a guy be a condition that would allow us to keep our draft pick??

beavis
01-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Since we cut Cheek, did we lose our 7th? It was conditional, right? I'm not the sharpest nife in the drawer, but shouldn't cutting a guy be a condition that would allow us to keep our draft pick??
I'm not sure what the conditions of the trade were, part of the reason I started the thread. I'm looking now, but can't find anything on it.

Deberg_1990
01-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Anybody have a breakdown on the number of picks we have, and what round they are in? I could have sworn I heard DV say we had 11 picks this year, could that be right?

and if every pick isnt used on a linebacker or a defensive back, I will puke. We need to load up on picks from the defensive side of the ball. We need as much fresh blood as we can get.

Coogs
01-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Here is the list....

First Round

San Diego from NY Giants (QB Eli Manning)
Dallas from Buffalo (QB JP Losman)

Second Round

Philadelphia from Miami (QB AJ Feeley)
New Orleans from Washington (2004 draft day deal)
Green Bay from New Orleans (CB Mike McKenzie)

Third Round

Houston has pick from Dallas (QB Drew Henson)
Miami has pick from Chicago (DE Adewale Ogunleye)
st. Louis has pick from Miami (RB Lamar Gordon)
Tampa Bay has a #3 pick from San Diego (WR Keenan McCardell)
Denver has forfeited its 3rd round pick because of salary cap violations

Fourth Round

Philadelphia from Kansas City (OG John Welbourn/ could escalate to #3 if Welbourn plays 50% of Chiefs' snaps)

Fifth Round

Philadelphia from Washington (WR James Thrash)
San Diego from NY Giants (QB Eli Manning)
Tampa Bay from San Diego (OT Roman Oben)
Green Bay has a #5 from Oakland (SS Marques Anderson)
Kansas City has a #5 from Detroit (Part of RB Kevin Jones deal)

Sixth Round

Oakland from Dallas (DE Kenyon Coleman)
Green Bay has a #6 from Oakland (SS Marques Anderson)
San Diego received a #6 from Miami (WR David Boston; pick could be sent to Tampa Bay as part of Keenan McCardell)
Tampa Bay has a #6 pick from San Diego (WR Keenan McCardell; note pick will be the lower of San Diego's own pick or the #6 the Chargers have from Miami as part of deal for WR David Boston.)
Oakland has a conditional #6 from Arizona (RB Troy Hambrick/DE Peppi Zellner; could escalate depending on PT)
Kansas City has a #6 from Green Bay (DE Kal-R Truluck)
San Francisco has a #6 from Philadelphia (compensation for missed PT by DT Brandon Whiting as part of Terrel Owens deal)

Seventh Round

Houston has a conditional #7 from Kansas City (P Steve Cheek; made opening day 53-man roster but later released)

Undisclosed/conditional

Tampa Bay has an undisclosed pick from the Giants (OG Jason Whittle)
Atlanta has a conditional pick from Denver (DT Ellis Johnson)
Oakland has a conditional #7 from Seattle (WR Jerry Rice; based on playing time)
Pittsburgh has a 6th or 7th from Carolina (OT Todd Fordham)

Coogs
01-04-2005, 08:51 PM
We also have an extra 7th from the Packers for some DB we sent over there a couple of years ago.

tk13
01-04-2005, 08:54 PM
That list doesn't have the other 5th rounder we picked up in trading Truluck... we got a 5th and 6th for him...

beavis
01-04-2005, 09:25 PM
That list doesn't have the other 5th rounder we picked up in trading Truluck... we got a 5th and 6th for him...
I thought so too.

Thanks for the info guys.

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 09:05 AM
and if every pick isnt used on a linebacker or a defensive back, I will puke. We need to load up on picks from the defensive side of the ball. We need as much fresh blood as we can get.

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Concentrating only on one side of the ball is precisely why we're in this mess in the 1st place.

Eleazar
01-05-2005, 09:09 AM

Concentrating only on one side of the ball is precisely why we're in this mess in the 1st place.

Agreed.

There's a difference between focusing on one side of the ball and being stupid about it.

Chiefnj
01-05-2005, 09:15 AM

We're in this mess because of the fact that except for day 2 of this years draft the Chiefs haven't got much out of their draft picks in the past few years.

DaWolf
01-05-2005, 09:18 AM
The Chiefs have the 15th pick of the draft in April. Two teams plus the Chiefs finished 7-9, but the Chiefs are the last of the three to pick because they had a stronger strength of opponent than either Carolina or Houston, based on the cumulative record of opponents.

The Chiefs have 10 picks. Their third-round choice goes to Philadelphia in the trade for lineman John Welbourn. But they have two extra choices in the fifth round and one additional pick in each of the sixth and seventh rounds.

They also expect a compensatory pick as high as the third or fourth round for last year's free-agent loss of tackle John Tait.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/10566640.htm

ChiTown
01-05-2005, 09:21 AM

True.

I think we have to get the best available athletes out there, regardless. We just need to hope and pray that the Defensive players we do get can make a difference in their 1st year

Chiefnj
01-05-2005, 09:26 AM
True.

I think we have to get the best available athletes out there, regardless. We just need to hope and pray that the Defensive players we do get can make a difference in their 1st year

We get the best available projects.

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 09:59 AM
We're in this mess because of the fact that except for day 2 of this years draft the Chiefs haven't got much out of their draft picks in the past few years.

That's part of it. But it could have been offset by investments in free agency. Look at this team's payroll -- it's HEAVILY weighted towards the offense.