PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me what I missed

Nzoner
01-04-2005, 11:42 PM
that was so great about Napolean Dynamite?

I generally have a 30 minute rule on movies,if I'm not into by then odds are I probably won't be.Anyhow,earlier this evening the mrs and I put this in and at 30 minutes looked at one another and said nah.

Maybe I'm just getting too damn old to get today's comedies because I didn't make it through Anchorman either.

Taco John
01-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Napoleon Dynamite is easily my favorite movie in the last five years. I think it's a you got to "get" it movie. I think if everybody "got" it, it probably wouldn't be a very good movie.

2bikemike
01-04-2005, 11:48 PM
that was so great about Napolean Dynamite?

I generally have a 30 minute rule on movies,if I'm not into by then odds are I probably won't be.Anyhow,earlier this evening the mrs and I put this in and at 30 minutes looked at one another and said nah.

Maybe I'm just getting too damn old to get today's comedies because I didn't make it through Anchorman either.

Well I gave it 40 minutes and said this is BS and turned it off. I am damn glad my wife got the movie from her boss and we didn't pay to rent it. So now my wife is 0 for 2 in her movie selections of the year. She had me rent that damn Stepford wives and that one stunk too. I at least got Shrek 2 and Collateral Damage when I rented Stepford. I watched Collateral last night and it was ok. My daughter watched Shrek and loved it so I guess maybe I will watch it in the next couple of days.

tk13
01-04-2005, 11:50 PM
We're waiting for the draft. Gosh!

Taco John
The great thing about Napoleon Dynamite is that it's 1% plot and 99% character creation. And the characters are pure gold. You think people think I'm a big loser because I go home to Starla every night? Forget about it.

Pants
On the subjects of rents...

Did you guys see that new comercial where Blockbuster says they won't have any more late fees? WTF is up with that. It didn't look like one of the pay $20 a month things, just straight up no fees.

Rain Man
I thought it was decent, but it wasn't great.

|Zach|
01-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Joe, you are just mad because I have been talking to hot chicks on the internet ALL DAY.

|Zach|
01-04-2005, 11:51 PM
I didnt think Anchorman was going to be funny but I loved it...I think im more of the minority in this one though. The part where they sing Afternoon delight acapella in his office had me rolling.

Taco John
01-04-2005, 11:52 PM
On the subjects of rents...

Did you guys see that new comercial where Blockbuster says they won't have any more late fees? WTF is up with that. It didn't look like one of the pay $20 a month things, just straight up no fees.

After X amount of days, you buy it...

2bikemike
01-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Napoleon Dynamite is easily my favorite movie in the last five years. I think it's a you got to "get" it movie. I think if everybody "got" it, it probably wouldn't be a very good movie.

:hmmm: I wonder why. Could it be because you were a Napoleon Dynamite in HS? That is the only way I can see you "Getting it".

2bikemike
01-04-2005, 11:54 PM

7 days after the original due date. But you can bring the movie back after and they will credit your account minus a restocking fee.

Taco John
01-04-2005, 11:54 PM
You guys having a killer time?

Pants
01-04-2005, 11:55 PM

Aww, that's gay.

Taco John
01-04-2005, 11:57 PM
:hmmm: I wonder why. Could it be because you were a Napoleon Dynamite in HS? That is the only way I can see you "Getting it".

I think it's a generational thing...

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2005, 12:08 AM
I loved Anchorman and Napoleon Dynamite. Both hilarious, IMO.

"Things are getting pretty serious...we chat on the internet about 2-3 hours a night...so yeah...I guess you could say things are getting serious" ROFL

teedubya
01-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Napolean's character was humorous... GOSH! I purchased the movie due to planet hype... but really wish that i had instead... downloaded it.

Rausch
01-05-2005, 12:12 AM
I think it's a generational thing...

I don't get a lot of today's humor.

I can't friggen stand anyone on SNL after about 95...And even then it didn't compare to the 80's cast...

Demonpenz
01-05-2005, 12:30 AM
how much you wanna bet i can throw this football over those mountains

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2005, 12:54 AM
how much you wanna bet i can throw this football over those mountains

If I could go back in time to 82 again. ROFL

Taco John
01-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2005, 01:00 AM
Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it.

ROFL ROFL sweet movie, indeed

Taco John
01-05-2005, 01:04 AM
There's about a billion quality lines in that movie... I've never seen a movie where just about every line in the movie can be repeated to humorous effect. Couple that with the visual gag that comprises every scene, and the characters that get created throughout the show, and you've got yourself an instant cult classic...

Pants
01-05-2005, 01:08 AM
His art is the real shit. The movie is funny yet boring, a true original as no other movie has achieved that before (in my eyes at least).

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 01:12 AM
You fuggers need your funny bones checked. :shake:

Taco John
01-05-2005, 11:22 AM

Like I say, I think it's a generational thing.

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Like I say, I think it's a generational thing.

What ever you say Napoleon!

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Older fellas wont like it.

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Freaking idiots!

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Older fellas wont like it.

2 of my 3 kids thought it sucked too. The 3rd hasn't seen it.

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 11:30 AM
How old are they?

This movie works best in the 18-25 dept IMO.

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 11:31 AM
How old are they?

17 and 22

Jenson71
01-05-2005, 11:32 AM
It's hilarious. One of the movies where you could say a line in class, and everyone would laugh knowing what you were talking about.

Jenson71
01-05-2005, 11:32 AM
How old are they?

Drop that first number down to about 16.

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Well, don't know what to tell you. If its not your type of movie, you won't like it. I don't really have any other movies to compare it to, its pretty original. None of my friends really enjoyed it, but they are more in to the mindless action flicks.

Taco John
01-05-2005, 11:37 AM

Don't be jealous that I'm online chatting with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Has anyone checked out the deleted scenes yet? ROFL

I loved the kickball part...

Baby Lee
01-05-2005, 11:39 AM
What ever you say Napoleon!
Actually, I think it's an acclimatization thing. I watched the first 45 minutes and turned it off and went to bed without so much as cracking a smile. The next day, I was recalling some of the scene with a small chuckle. Then I popped it in and watched the rest, laughing heartily at several intervals.
The characters are not played 'for laughs' and the plot does not introduce hilarious stock situations or some cliched arc. The humor comes from walking the edge between utterly surreal and completely real and earnest.
To that end, I think the viewers acceptance that these characters could really exist is key. If you think they're all actors being goofy, it's not gonna resonate with you. But if you see all, or part, or even a glimpse of someone you recognize in the characters, that is your launchpad for 'getting' the humor.

Baby Lee
01-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Has anyone checked out the deleted scenes yet? ROFL

I loved the kickball part...
"illegal ninja moves from the government' should have somehow stayed in the final cut.

And I love that his move when fighting the cool guy was the same as the one he pulled on his brother.

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Actually, I think it's an acclimatization thing. I watched the first 45 minutes and turned it off and went to bed without so much as cracking a smile. The next day, I was recalling some of the scene with a small chuckle. Then I popped it in and watched the rest, laughing heartily at several intervals.
The characters are not played 'for laughs' and the plot does not introduce hilarious stock situations or some cliched arc. The humor comes from walking the edge between utterly surreal and completely real and earnest.
To that end, I think the viewers acceptance that these characters could really exist is key. If you think they're all actors being goofy, it's not gonna resonate with you. But if you see all, or part, or even a glimpse of someone you recognize in the characters, that is your launchpad for 'getting' the humor.
Nice.

bogie
01-05-2005, 11:51 AM
What is your opinion on Terminal? I'm a Tom Hanks fan, but I was shocked at how bad this movie is. I am amazed Spielburg was involved as well.

David.
01-05-2005, 11:53 AM
funniest movie I've seen in a LONG, LONG time.

Swanman
01-05-2005, 01:21 PM

You're just TO'd that you don't have any nunchuks, bowcasting, or computer hacking skills.

Swanman
01-05-2005, 01:21 PM
I didnt think Anchorman was going to be funny but I loved it...I think im more of the minority in this one though. The part where they sing Afternoon delight acapella in his office had me rolling.

I love lamp.

Baby Lee
01-05-2005, 01:50 PM
I love lamp.
I was wondering. . . if you. . . would like to join me. . at the pants party?

Swanman
01-05-2005, 01:56 PM
I was wondering. . . if you. . . would like to join me. . at the pants party?

Look Ron, I'm riding a big furry tractor!

|Zach|
01-05-2005, 02:02 PM
It's called Sex Panther. Its made from real Panther...illegal in 9 countries...

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2005, 02:21 PM
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!!!!!!

CosmicPal
01-05-2005, 02:29 PM
I too was disappointed. It was funny, but not as funny as I had anticipated it to be.

We discussed the movie afterwards and the one thing we couldn't figure out was what time period it took place in. If it was the 80's, then how the hell did his brother find a black gal via the Internet- the Internet and chat rooms didn't make their appearance and popularity until the early 90's...particularly in Idaho of all places.

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 02:39 PM
I too was disappointed. It was funny, but not as funny as I had anticipated it to be.

We discussed the movie afterwards and the one thing we couldn't figure out was what time period it took place in. If it was the 80's, then how the hell did his brother find a black gal via the Internet- the Internet and chat rooms didn't make their appearance and popularity until the early 90's...particularly in Idaho of all places.

Most likely, present time. Why is present time a stretch?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2005, 02:41 PM

That was the whole thing, though. It took place in present time, but they were all stuck in the 80s. Hair, clothing, everything. Even Rico was stuck in the 80s lol. "If I could just go back to 82." ROFL

Baby Lee
01-05-2005, 02:44 PM

There was some calendar or something that showed it to be 2004.

Taco John
01-05-2005, 02:45 PM

I believe it's set in modern day...

CosmicPal
01-05-2005, 02:47 PM
That was the whole thing, though. It took place in present time, but they were all stuck in the 80s. Hair, clothing, everything. Even Rico was stuck in the 80s lol. "If I could just go back to 82." ROFL

You see now that's funny! We assumed the whole time it was taking place in the late 80's or early 90's.

carlos3652
01-05-2005, 03:13 PM
This movie was set in 2004 in Idaho, if you look at his school id in the beggining of the movie you can see that...

Also, have you ever been to idaho recently, especially rural areas? I have , its not pretty...

Everyone dresses like the 80's, they still have dial up as like the fastest thing ever... the movie built these characters very well...

Very original... Did your kids watch the movie with you? Becasue if you dont watch it with kids your age you dont laugh as much for some reason...

I watched it for the very first time with my wife and some of our best friends (ages 20-25) ... It was the funniest thing ever, I laughrd so hard, I missed a lot of danged lines...so I watched it again with my bro in law and sis, They laughed through it, and I did a better job at refraining myself and getting more lines in... I still thought it was super funny...

BUT THEN I WATCHED IT WITH MY WIFES PARENTS.... AND THEY MADE THE MOVIE SUCK... because they were like "whatever, this movie sucks" all through - out the whole flipping thing... and allthough I laughed internally a little... the movie wasnt as entertaining with older people or people who dont get it.

They said it was the worst movie ever, and I said there was no way they actually new that was true...

But every time I see it it makes mee laugh... it depends who you see it with...

Hammock Parties
01-05-2005, 03:19 PM
You guys are killing me.... ROFL

Demonpenz
01-05-2005, 03:24 PM
do chickens have large talons?

Boy i don't understand a word you just said

beavis
01-05-2005, 03:29 PM
They said it was the worst movie ever, and I said there was no way they actually new that was true...
I thought Rico made the worst movie ever?

Demonpenz
01-05-2005, 03:35 PM
beavis there is no way you are able to tell that. If you dn't like it you don't have to watch it

Demonpenz
01-05-2005, 03:36 PM
I am willing to be the people who like homestarrunner also love ND

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 03:37 PM
You know what demonpenz, you can leave!

carlos3652
01-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Pedro offers you his protection...

Demonpenz
01-05-2005, 03:39 PM
so are you guys pedro's cousins with all the sweet hookups?

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 03:45 PM
They kept attacking my cousin! What would you do in that situation! GOSH!

Demonpenz
01-05-2005, 03:47 PM
GAWSH

Baby Lee
01-05-2005, 03:59 PM
GAWSH
You're bruising my neck meat!!!

DenverChief
01-05-2005, 04:03 PM

loved it too...I'm a huge will ferrell fan though

|Zach|
01-05-2005, 04:04 PM
loved it too...I'm a huge will ferrell fan though
I am too, even so I saw it with apprehension because it seemed like one of those movies that had funny trailers but didnt have much else. I am glad I was wrong.

beavis
01-05-2005, 04:42 PM
beavis there is no way you are able to tell that. If you dn't like it you don't have to watch it
Maybe I will, GOSH!

Nzoner
01-05-2005, 05:58 PM
But if you see all, or part, or even a glimpse of someone you recognize in the characters, that is your launchpad for 'getting' the humor.

Therein lies my problem,as I don't know any goofy bastards that are still stuck in the 80's,now the 70's.......