PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider on the Chiefs offseason ahead

FloridaMan88
01-05-2005, 03:52 PM
From Randy Mueller's column on ESPN Insider:

Kansas City Chiefs

This year's Super Bowl pick by some clearly lacks talent on defense to contend. I think the Chiefs also might need to add another playmaker at wide receiver as well.

Gunther Cunningham's defensive scheme was not enough change to convert this much-maligned group into a top-notch unit. The story gets worse when you consider the Chiefs went out of their way last offseason to keep their defensive players together.

Now the challenge will be to blow this unit up and rebuild it without taking too many salary-cap hits. The Chiefs are currently $10 million over next year's projected cap, so they will have some work to do in the front office. Status quo won't cut it, so thinking outside the box to improve this group will be a giant challenge.

One offense the Chiefs will have a major decision to make at running back. Do they trade running back Larry Johnson and hope Priest Holmes can stay healthy?

Johnson proved he has ability and his stock probably has risen to the point of a second-round pick for compensation. Considering the team's cap situation and personnel, it's no wonder we keep hearing the rumors of Dick Vermeil's retirement.

Iowanian
01-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Uh No.

How does the team go from "under the cap" to that far Over? Salary escalation and bonus clauses? It'll be freed up at least by Holliday and Morton's #, maybe McCleon.

Mile High Mania
01-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Wow ... $10M over the projected cap. They'll restructure a handful of players and get under. Release a few guys by certain dates to save cash, but it sounds like the FA spending account will be light.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2005, 03:58 PM
This article is BS.

Carl Peterson has said several times that they are in very, very good salary cap shape.

tk13
01-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Now the challenge will be to blow this unit up and rebuild it without taking too many salary-cap hits. The Chiefs are currently $10 million over next year's projected cap, so they will have some work to do in the front office. Status quo won't cut it, so thinking outside the box to improve this group will be a giant challenge.

No tk13, you're crazy to keep saying that one of the reasons we didn't go right up against the cap this year is because a lot of the contracts inflate next year and spending up to the cap might not have truly given us a two year window to get things to work in case something went wrong....

:)

DenverChief
01-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Wow ... $10M over the projected cap. They'll restructure a handful of players and get under. Release a few guys by certain dates to save cash, but it sounds like the FA spending account will be light.

that can't be right...we were roughly 6 million under this year

tk13
01-05-2005, 04:01 PM
This article is BS.

Carl Peterson has said several times that they are in very, very good salary cap shape.
Yeah, I think we'll be alright, once we cut Holliday, Morton, etc, we'll be in much better shape, plus I kinda expect that some of these guys (especially on offense) will restructure in order to bring in some defensive talent, at least I hope so. I don't know, supposedly the cap is supposed to go up quite a bit for next year due to TV money.

KCTitus
01-05-2005, 04:01 PM
LOL...now KC's 10M over the cap. This year eleventy billion under, next year 10M over. Just hilarious.

tk13
01-05-2005, 04:03 PM
that can't be right...we were roughly 6 million under this year
Yeah it could be at face value. If you went to NFLPA.com and looked solely at the base salaries of our players, you could easily come up with 15-20 million in base salary increases for next year. Of course those can be restructured as long as the player agrees with it, so it should be alright, I think... Priest and Trent alone are due 5 million dollars of base salary increase, but I believe Priest has already agreed to restructure and I imagine Trent will too if asked.

Iowanian
01-05-2005, 04:03 PM
I think Woods and Mazlowski are added to the "gone or restructured" list too.

Combine that with all of the money the Chiefs paid for the IR list players, and they HAVE to have money left......Boerigter, Maz, Baber, Barber.......

ck_IN
01-05-2005, 04:05 PM
<i>Now the challenge will be to blow this unit up and rebuild it without taking too many salary-cap hits. The Chiefs are currently $10 million over next year's projected cap, so they will have some work to do in the front office. Status quo won't cut it, so thinking outside the box to improve this group will be a giant challenge.</i>

Now square this with the fact that if we cut these guys our cap hit would be huge and the fact that DV doesn't seem to inspired to cut anyone in the first place.

I'm guessing its statis quo.

Mile High Mania
01-05-2005, 04:08 PM
The cap is such an evil bitch for fans to keep track of... escalations and previously renegotiated contracts, bonuses and the like are probably what pushes KC over the mark compared to where they sit now.

Heh - I'm not all that interested right now to see where Denver is projected against the 2005 cap. I'm sure they're over.

Chiefnj
01-05-2005, 04:35 PM
2005 Base Salary for players who could be cut:

Barber - 2.2 million.
Morton - 3.0 million.
Holliday - 2.2 million.
Dex - 1.5 million.

That's 8.9 million alone. None of those guys got a Randy Moss or Michael Vick type signing bonus, so it is probably safe to say about 7 million in savings.

Then you have guys who will be on the roster but will need to renegotiate:

Welbourne - 1.2 million.
Warfield - 3.3 million (Perhaps his salary will automatically be reduced if he misses 4 games for the DUI).
Shields - 4.3 million. (A lot of money tied up in a guard, although he is great.)

Wallcrawler
01-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Carl doesnt pay anyone. Theres no way that the Chiefs are that far over the cap, not with his frugal negotiations.

Take into account when they inevitably release Vonnie Holliday, and his 4 million dollar salary, and possibly Shawn Barber after his second major knee injury, thats another 4, close to 5 million.

Johnnie Morton is no longer needed, I think Samie Parker could easily step in and do the job that Morton has, and might even drop about 20 less passes. He's making close to what Tony G. is making in salary. Cut his ass, and get him out of KC.

There is no way that the chiefs will be that far over the cap when it comes time to bring in some defensive help.

Vermiel has stated that he is not interested in trading offensive talent for defense, so the dead weight on the offense, and current defense is going to have to be cut.

FloridaMan88
01-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Maybe Mueller is basing it on John Clayton's cap #

Clayton always seems to be wrong with his cap #'s, especially concerning the Chiefs

JohnnyV13
01-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Ummmm,

That number could be accurate, simply assuming we keep our current roster into the 05 season. But, Holiday has a 6 million roster bonus due in March that he will never collect. Holiday's roster bonus is 60% of that bulge.

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 07:01 PM
I think Woods and Mazlowski are added to the "gone or restructured" list too.

Combine that with all of the money the Chiefs paid for the IR list players, and they HAVE to have money left......Boerigter, Maz, Baber, Barber.......

Woods' bonus will be accelerated against the cap. I don't see any way we can cut him without accumulating dead money...

:banghead:

TEX
01-05-2005, 07:13 PM
The cap is such an evil bitch for fans to keep track of... escalations and previously renegotiated contracts, bonuses and the like are probably what pushes KC over the mark compared to where they sit now.

Heh - I'm not all that interested right now to see where Denver is projected against the 2005 cap. I'm sure they're over.

Sure, but they'll CHEAT and not report everything... :p

tk13
01-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Woods' bonus will be accelerated against the cap. I don't see any way we can cut him without accumulating dead money...

:banghead:
If we cut him after June 1st only about 1 million of his signing bonus would count against this year's cap and we'd lose about 300-400,000 in dead money on him.... the problem would be that it would shoot up to about in about 3 million in dead money in 2006, but I'm not sure anybody is worried about 2006 at the moment.

whoman69
01-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Ummmm,

That number could be accurate, simply assuming we keep our current roster into the 05 season. But, Holiday has a 6 million roster bonus due in March that he will never collect. Holiday's roster bonus is 60% of that bulge.
I'm sure that's a big part of the cap overrun right there. Cutting him will put us more than halfway there. He's gone, no questions asked.

HolmeZz
01-05-2005, 08:44 PM
That number can't even be close to right. What could we have possibly spent all that money on?

Nightfyre
01-05-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm sure that's a big part of the cap overrun right there. Cutting him will put us more than halfway there. He's gone, no questions asked.
theres a thought I can sleep on.

carlos3652
01-05-2005, 09:04 PM
The sad thing is that if he was not a "cap" issue, we would prob. see him again next year... the only cuts we are going to make this year in the off season will be tied directly into the cap... if we have a crappy player (Holiday) and he will make cap room if we cut him = CP will do it, he is gone, but if we have a crappy player (the rest of the _efense) who hurts the cap by letting him/them go CP will keep him/them... Hopefully I pray we only use them as subs (or not at all)...

Hopefully we can convince the "O" to restructure... this is where cp is going to get his FA's...

What do I see us getting in the Draft:

10 Picks -
1 QB
1 WR
1 T
2 LB (Round 1)
2 DE/DL
2 CB (Round 2)
1 S

I see 3 new starters next season... 2 FA's and a Draft pick if we sign him early...

I think Carl will try to go out with a bang... He wont screw Lamar with Cap issues after he leaves, but he is going to do everything possible to get this team a SB...

Nightfyre
01-05-2005, 09:06 PM
The sad thing is that if he was not a "cap" issue, we would prob. see him again next year... the only cuts we are going to make this year in the off season will be tied directly into the cap... if we have a crappy player (Holiday) and he will make cap room if we cut him = CP will do it, he is gone, but if we have a crappy player (the rest of the _efense) who hurts the cap by letting him/them go CP will keep him/them... Hopefully I pray we only use them as subs (or not at all)...

Hopefully we can convince the "O" to restructure... this is where cp is going to get his FA's...

What do I see us getting in the Draft:

10 Picks -
1 QB
1 WR
1 T
2 LB (Round 1)
2 DE/DL
2 CB (Round 2)
1 S

I see 3 new starters next season... 2 FA's and a Draft pick if we sign him early...

I think Carl will try to go out with a bang... He wont screw Lamar with Cap issues after he leaves, but he is going to do everything possible to get this team a SB...
we have two 1st rounders?

carlos3652
01-05-2005, 09:11 PM
we have two 1st rounders?

No I just wanted to say that one of the LB's was going to be in the 1st round, and one of the cb's will come in the second....

Sorry if I was misleading...

Nightfyre
01-05-2005, 09:13 PM
No I just wanted to say that one of the LB's was going to be in the 1st round, and one of the cb's will come in the second....

Sorry if I was misleading...
jk, how did ew get 10 picks tho?

PastorMikH
01-05-2005, 09:21 PM
From Randy Mueller's column on ESPN Insider:

Kansas City Chiefs

Now the challenge will be to blow this unit up and rebuild it without taking too many salary-cap hits. The Chiefs are currently $10 million over next year's projected cap, so they will have some work to do in the front office. Status quo won't cut it, so thinking outside the box to improve this group will be a giant challenge..

On this aspect, I remember reading last week where Carl said there was enough $ to go after 2-3 playmakers on D

One offense the Chiefs will have a major decision to make at running back. Do they trade running back Larry Johnson and hope Priest Holmes can stay healthy?

Johnson proved he has ability and his stock probably has risen to the point of a second-round pick for compensation. Considering the team's cap situation and personnel, it's no wonder we keep hearing the rumors of Dick Vermeil's retirement.

LJ may have risen to the point where he is worth a 2nd rounder?!?!?!?!?!?!

If that is the case, I think we should just keep him. LJ showed enough upside to be worth at least what we gave for him.

Mr. Laz
01-05-2005, 09:22 PM
The Chiefs are currently $10 million over next year's projected cap

classic ... just where Carl like's us

:clap: :clap:

truly pathetic

Nightfyre
01-05-2005, 09:23 PM
On this aspect, I remember reading last week where Carl said there was enough $ to go after 2-3 playmakers on D
thats what I was thinking. Why didnt we pursue TO last year, speaking of? He only went for a 2nd rounder....

LJ may have risen to the point where he is worth a 2nd rounder?!?!?!?!?!?!

If that is the case, I think we should just keep him. LJ showed enough upside to be worth at least what we gave for him.

carlos3652
01-05-2005, 10:33 PM
jk, how did ew get 10 picks tho?

1 round (1)
2 round (1)
3 round (0/1) Depends on Welbourne playing 50% of the snaps
4 round (0/1) Depends on Welbourne playing less than 50% of the snaps
5 round (3) Truluck from Packers and Detroit (1st round pick of 2004)
6 round (2) Truluck from Packers
7 round (1) Gave 1 to Houston for Cheeks, but got 1 from Packers (CB Combs)

Maybe its only 9... Still, I really hope we do not trade down... we have plenty of picks... maybe we get lucky and get 3 Allen's in the 5th round...

Source: http://www.thehuddlereport.com/THRfree/draftorder/tradedpicks.htm

tk13
01-05-2005, 10:37 PM
1 round (1)
2 round (1)
3 round (0/1) Depends on Welbourne playing 50% of the snaps
4 round (0/1) Depends on Welbourne playing less than 50% of the snaps
5 round (3) Truluck from Packers and Detroit (1st round pick of 2004)
6 round (2) Truluck from Packers
7 round (1) Gave 1 to Houston for Cheeks, but got 1 from Packers (CB Combs)

Maybe its only 9... Still, I really hope we do not trade down... we have plenty of picks... maybe we get lucky and get 3 Allen's in the 5th round...

Source: http://www.thehuddlereport.com/THRfree/draftorder/tradedpicks.htm
We'll also get a pick for losing John Tait, what round it'll be in we don't know....