PDA

View Full Version : Storm of the century on its way?

Taco John
01-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Looks like a "once-in-a-generation" snow storm is headed our way...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2005/01/04/2002141024.gif

Here is the story:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002141092_storm05.html

Hammock Parties
01-05-2005, 06:00 PM
I guess I'm going to get my ass kicked by a Tornado finally. Goodbye everyone.

badgirl
01-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Holy Crap its like the perfect storm over land!! :deevee:

Rain Man
01-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Hmm. Our local forecast in Denver looks quite pleasant.

http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday.html?locid=USCO0105&from=search_10day

Edit: It got redexed, darn it. Highs in the 50s here. I'll be outside without a shirt on, flexing for the neighbors.

badgirl
01-05-2005, 06:08 PM
YOu must do an Official I'm Leaving Thread before you go :p

Hammock Parties
01-05-2005, 06:09 PM
YOu must do an Official I'm Leaving Thread before you go :p

When the clouds start swirling, I'll post it.

Donger
01-05-2005, 06:09 PM
The models tend to overdo the formation of these really exciting weather formations for us," said Mike Wallace

I f*cking hate weatherweenies.

Rain Man
01-05-2005, 06:12 PM

It would be fatal, of course, but at the same time, you have to think that there'd be a few minutes during that process that would be quite exhilarating.

Hammock Parties
01-05-2005, 06:13 PM
It would be fatal, of course, but at the same time, you have to think that there'd be a few minutes during that process that would be quite exhilarating.

Yeah for about 10 seconds when you get sucked up. Then a flying piece of shrapnel impales your forehead.

Pants
01-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Umm we are only at the 5th year of this century, so yeah, I wouldn't go calling anything a "storm of the century".

Skip Towne
01-05-2005, 06:22 PM

http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday.html?locid=USCO0105&from=search_10day

Edit: It got redexed, darn it. Highs in the 50s here. I'll be outside without a shirt on, flexing for the neighbors.
You're flexing for the neighbors? With those fat fingers?

badgirl
01-05-2005, 06:26 PM

WITHOUT your shirt. :rolleyes: please ROFL

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Yeah were bracing for it here. We have gotten a lot of rain in the past week or so. I think we have already received more than our average rainfall for the year.

We average about 9" a year and were expecting up to 2" in this upcoming storm.

4th and Long
01-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Yeah for about 10 seconds when you get sucked up. Then a flying piece of shrapnel impales your forehead.
You of all people know NOTHING about getting sucked up. :shake:

:D

:p

Hammock Parties
01-05-2005, 06:54 PM
You of all people know NOTHING about getting sucked up. :shake:

:D

:p

I'm getting a little tired of you taking EVERYTHING I say and turning it into something to make fun of.

4th and Long
01-05-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm getting a little tired of you taking EVERYTHING I say and turning it into something to make fun of.
And your point is? :shrug:

Hammock Parties
01-05-2005, 06:56 PM
And your point is? :shrug:

STOP IT!

ChiefsFire
01-05-2005, 06:57 PM

wonder how many underwater hurricanes it will cause???? :hmmm: ROFL

4th and Long
01-05-2005, 07:05 PM
STOP IT!
:shake:

Or?

Come on son, at least throw out an empty threat and grow a pair.

ChiefsFire
01-05-2005, 07:07 PM
:shake:

Or?

Come on son, at least throw out an empty threat and grow a pair.

woohoo

fight fight fight

4th and Long
01-05-2005, 07:09 PM
woohoo

fight fight fight
Don't make me give you the cyber ass beating of your life. :p

ChiefsFire
01-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Don't make me give you the cyber ass beating of your life. :p

geez

ur in pithy mood tonite

Joe Seahawk
01-05-2005, 07:13 PM
I've always wanted to see a pineapple express collide with an arctic blast right in the Puget Sound Convergence zone.. :eek: :eek:

On a sidenote, the first precip during a Seahawks game since Seahawks Stadium opened 3 years ago, could be SNOW! during a PLAYOFF GAME!! :drool:

Michael Michigan
01-05-2005, 07:15 PM
On a sidenote, the first precip during a Seahawks game since Seahawks Stadium opened 3 years ago, could be SNOW! during a PLAYOFF GAME!! :drool:

That's just what I was wondering...

Joe Seahawk
01-05-2005, 07:18 PM
That's just what I was wondering...

The game is on Saturday at 1:30 PM.. :thumb:

http://www.komotv.com/weather/images/4_6day.jpg

MM- I like your new site! Thanks for the heads up..

Michael Michigan
01-05-2005, 07:52 PM
The game is on Saturday at 1:30 PM.. :thumb:

http://www.komotv.com/weather/images/4_6day.jpg

MM- I like your new site! Thanks for the heads up..

The Rams can't play in snow. :)

Oh and thanks...e-mail me sometime

Nightfyre
01-05-2005, 07:58 PM
its gonna be ****ing freeezing here.

ChiefsFanatik88
01-05-2005, 08:52 PM

If its my last day on earth, Care to spend it with me?

:D:D
j/k

chief52
01-05-2005, 09:16 PM
I work for the power company in Northern California and they are bracing for lots of outages. We got hit on New Year's and just got everyone energized last night. They expect much worse to come from this convergence of systems.

Please stay away from down power lines...or any lines. We had a customer walk up to move a power line Sunday morning and was killed as it was still hot. Such a waste. Make sure your children definitely know to stay away from downed lines. That stuff is unmerciful.

Taco John
01-05-2005, 09:27 PM
I work for the power company in Northern California and they are bracing for lots of outages. We got hit on New Year's and just got everyone energized last night. They expect much worse to come from this convergence of systems.

Please stay away from down power lines...or any lines. We had a customer walk up to move a power line Sunday morning and was killed as it was still hot. Such a waste. Make sure your children definitely know to stay away from downed lines. That stuff is unmerciful.

What kind of idiot walks up and tries to move a powerline!? Sounds like Darwin is busy at work. I can't believe that an adult would do something so stupid. That's just amazing to me.

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 09:30 PM

Whats your job?

chief52
01-05-2005, 09:33 PM
What kind of idiot walks up and tries to move a powerline!? Sounds like Darwin is busy at work. I can't believe that an adult would do something so stupid. That's just amazing to me.

Amazing to me as well. The worst part is the line was not across the road, it was laying in a field 70 feet from the road. A 27 year old guy got out of his car and walked over to the line. No one will ever know what possessed this guy as there were no witnesses. The Darwin Theory was definitely mentioned...

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Amazing to me as well. The worst part is the line was not across the road, it was laying in a field 70 feet from the road. A 27 year old guy got out of his car and walked over to the line. No one will ever know what possessed this guy as there were no witnesses. The Darwin Theory was definitely mentioned...

When we were repowering our plant there was a laborer who stuck a pick in a 12.5kv line. There was an arc and the power went out. That stupid fugger just drew back to take another swing. He couldn't believe the foreman fired his ass. I heard the foreman tell the guy. If you don't know what the fug you just did you have no business working here your just gonna get killed.

chief52
01-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Whats your job?

I am a lineman. I energized the line a little before the accident. Everything was fine at the time. It was storming and lines were falling...heavy snow load. You work in a power plant, right? I actually closed in a sectionalizer less than a mile from where this guy was later killed. It sucked. When we got back into the yard they told us to head back up the hill to clear the scene...

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Wow! Is that supposed to hit Missouri anytime?

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 09:48 PM
I am a lineman. I energized the line a little before the accident. Everything was fine at the time. It was storming and lines were falling...heavy snow load. You work in a power plant, right? I actually closed in a sectionalizer less than a mile from where this guy was later killed. It sucked. When we got back into the yard they told us to head back up the hill to clear the scene...

Man that sucks.

Yeah I work in a small Cogen plant. We produce about 25 MW. I have put in an application at a 550MW plant SDG&E is building. They are going to start interviewing this month I think.

Inspector
01-05-2005, 09:52 PM

I saw a show on the history channel about linemen. My hat's off to you. Looks like one tough job that I certainly couldn't do. They showed these guys sitting outside a helicopter to work on the lines. Very impressive and looked really scary.

You've got to have some special guts to do your job! :clap:

chief52
01-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Man that sucks.

Yeah I work in a small Cogen plant. We produce about 25 MW. I have put in an application at a 550MW plant SDG&E is building. They are going to start interviewing this month I think.

I hear SDG&E is a good outfit. I attended a seminar with a couple of their linemen and they spoke well of them. They have a good package from what I understand.

Good luck...

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 09:55 PM
I saw a show on the history channel about linemen. My hat's off to you. Looks like one tough job that I certainly couldn't do. They showed these guys sitting outside a helicopter to work on the lines. Very impressive and looked really scary.

Not only that but they work in the worst weather and the worst hours. Weather just creates more work for them.

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 09:57 PM
I hear SDG&E is a good outfit. I attended a seminar with a couple of their linemen and they spoke well of them. They have a good package from what I understand.

Good luck...

Thanks I think there is a lot of competition for the 15 jobs for control operators. But I do have 20+ years of experience and I have done Start-ups at 3 different plants.

chief52
01-05-2005, 10:01 PM

Thanks Inspector.

That History Channel show is quite impressive, isn't it? It shows our most dangerous tasks for sure. While I do fly in a helicopter, I have not done any of the hanging out stuff. They fly guys from tower to tower and they just climb off the helicopter and on to the tower or work right on the lines sitting on the side of the chopper. It is wild.

beavis
01-05-2005, 10:46 PM
What other purpose do you serve?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2005, 10:59 PM
So is it supposed to hit Missouri?

chief52
01-05-2005, 11:28 PM
So is it supposed to hit Missouri?

To quote the article...

"Somebody is in for something pretty darn interesting," Redmond said.

I hope that clears it up for you :)

Hammock Parties
01-05-2005, 11:34 PM
What other purpose do you serve?

Just tonight I unveiled my marvelous collection of hi-resolution Chiefs photography.

badgirl
01-06-2005, 01:30 AM
My X husband started off as a lineman in 84 and worked on those big steel towers that they fly line through, then he started working on sub-stations, now he is a masters electrician. He saw his foreman get killed on the sub station they were working hot, fell on 69,000 volts. Be careful, just please always think,think,think, :thumb: :)

|Zach|
01-06-2005, 01:31 AM
I am a lineman for the county...

chief52
01-06-2005, 07:24 AM
My X husband started off as a lineman in 84 and worked on those big steel towers that they fly line through, then he started working on sub-stations, now he is a masters electrician. He saw his foreman get killed on the sub station they were working hot, fell on 69,000 volts. Be careful, just please always think,think,think, :thumb: :)

Thanks badgirl. Yes, you must always stay "cut in" as that stuff is unforgiving. Snow level in NoCal is at 3000 feet this morning and supposed to be at 1000 feet by Friday night. :shake:

Off to work I go.... :thumb:

ROYC75
01-06-2005, 08:18 AM
To quote the article...

"Somebody is in for something pretty darn interesting," Redmond said.

I hope that clears it up for you :)

He did mention Ohio and Tn. River valleys ........ That doesn't boad to well for us.

Snow, Ice, Cold air, warm air, Tornados ...... :shake:

We are already wet and flooded from the big snow and current rains !