PDA

View Full Version : 3 defensive players forgoing their Senior year

carlos3652
01-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Should we pick any of these up if we can?

Channing Crowder LB
Shawne Merriman DE/LB
Thurman LB

Florida: The Gators' best defensive player won't be around for the Urban Meyer era. Linebacker Channing Crowder will forgo his final two years of eligibility and enter the NFL draft.

The 6-foot-3, 245-pound sophomore from Atlanta was third on the team in tackles last season with 73 despite missing three games with a sprained arch in his right foot. He finished his career with 179 tackles, including 13½ for a loss.

He also had two sacks, three fumble recoveries, two forced fumbles and one interception.

"This has been a very difficult decision for me to make," said Crowder, who led the nation in tackles by a freshman with 106 in 2003. "I felt like it was best for me and my family to pursue a professional career."

Crowder joins running back Ciatrick Fason as the team's lone early draft entries. Fason, who has a wife and two children, announced in mid-December that he was turning pro.

Meyer, who led Utah to a 12-0 season, is the new Florida coach.

Georgia: In a true hardship story, inside linebacker Odell Thurman decided Wednesday to forgo his senior year and turn pro, ESPN.com's John Clayton has learned.

Thurman, a 6-1, 240 pound junior, is responsible for five brothers and sisters who are currently being cared for by his grandmother in Monticello, Ga. His mother passed away when he was 11, and before the first game of last season, Thurman lost his father.

Though Thurman preferred to stay in school, the economic pressures of caring for his family weighed in and necessitated this decision. As a fast inside linebacker on a great Georgia defense, Odell has the chance to go in the first round of April's NFL draft.

The 21-year-old linebacker, who hopes to run in the 4.4. to 4.5 range at the scouting combine in February in Indianapolis, has been at Georgia for two years after transferring from the Georgia Military Academy in 2002. He had been a red-shirt at Georgia in 2001 before going to the Military Academy.

Thurman was a preseason All American and a Butkus Award finalist. He played eight games last season and had 59 tackles, two sacks and 10 quarterback pressures. He led the team in tackles despite missing three regular season games. In 22 starts at Georgia, he had 180 tackles and eight-and-a-half sacks.

Maryland: Junior linebacker/defensive end Shawne Merriman, one of the ACC leaders in sacks and tackles for loss over the past two seasons, will bypass his senior season of eligibility to enter the 2005 NFL draft. Merriman, who has filed the pertinent paperwork with the league, announced his decision Wednesday.

He met with Ralph Friedgen on Tuesday and has the blessing of the Terps head coach.

"We wish him the best and hopefully he will make us proud on the next level," Friedgen said.

"It's something I had been thinking about for a long time," said Merriman, a fierce pass rusher who posted 8½ sacks each of the last two seasons. "In terms of talking it out with my family and stuff, I kind of made the decision on my own, but I've got great support."

Merriman did participate in the evaluation service offered to underclass players by the NFL, in which personnel directors and scouts review him and make an assessment of his potential draft status. Their recommendation was that Merriman figures to be a first- or second-round selection.

Part of the appeal of Merriman, who is only 20 years old and checks in at 6-feet-4 and 262 pounds, is that he is the kind of hybrid "edge" player so many teams are seeking these days. Merriman played principally at linebacker but also lined up at defensive end in "nickel" situations. One scout told ESPN.com Tuesday night that he felt Merriman could play either of the outside linebacker spots or end in the NFL, and acknowledged that the Maryland standout is a "very rare" player.

"He's a pup who should become a big dog," said the scout, who works for an AFC club, but who is precluded by league rules from discussing underclass players for attribution, until they are officially accepted into the draft pool.

Source: ESPN 1/05/05

Donger
01-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Should we pick any of these up if we can?

Channing Crowder LB
Shawne Merriman DE/LB
Thurman LB

Florida: The Gators' best defensive player won't be around for the Urban Meyer era. Linebacker Channing Crowder will forgo his final two years of eligibility and enter the NFL draft.

The 6-foot-3, 245-pound sophomore from Atlanta was third on the team in tackles last season with 73 despite missing three games with a sprained arch in his right foot. He finished his career with 179 tackles, including 13½ for a loss.

He also had two sacks, three fumble recoveries, two forced fumbles and one interception.

"This has been a very difficult decision for me to make," said Crowder, who led the nation in tackles by a freshman with 106 in 2003. "I felt like it was best for me and my family to pursue a professional career."

Crowder joins running back Ciatrick Fason as the team's lone early draft entries. Fason, who has a wife and two children, announced in mid-December that he was turning pro.

Meyer, who led Utah to a 12-0 season, is the new Florida coach.

Georgia: In a true hardship story, inside linebacker Odell Thurman decided Wednesday to forgo his senior year and turn pro, ESPN.com's John Clayton has learned.

Thurman, a 6-1, 240 pound junior, is responsible for five brothers and sisters who are currently being cared for by his grandmother in Monticello, Ga. His mother passed away when he was 11, and before the first game of last season, Thurman lost his father.

Though Thurman preferred to stay in school, the economic pressures of caring for his family weighed in and necessitated this decision. As a fast inside linebacker on a great Georgia defense, Odell has the chance to go in the first round of April's NFL draft.

The 21-year-old linebacker, who hopes to run in the 4.4. to 4.5 range at the scouting combine in February in Indianapolis, has been at Georgia for two years after transferring from the Georgia Military Academy in 2002. He had been a red-shirt at Georgia in 2001 before going to the Military Academy.

Thurman was a preseason All American and a Butkus Award finalist. He played eight games last season and had 59 tackles, two sacks and 10 quarterback pressures. He led the team in tackles despite missing three regular season games. In 22 starts at Georgia, he had 180 tackles and eight-and-a-half sacks.

Maryland: Junior linebacker/defensive end Shawne Merriman, one of the ACC leaders in sacks and tackles for loss over the past two seasons, will bypass his senior season of eligibility to enter the 2005 NFL draft. Merriman, who has filed the pertinent paperwork with the league, announced his decision Wednesday.

He met with Ralph Friedgen on Tuesday and has the blessing of the Terps head coach.

"We wish him the best and hopefully he will make us proud on the next level," Friedgen said.

"It's something I had been thinking about for a long time," said Merriman, a fierce pass rusher who posted 8½ sacks each of the last two seasons. "In terms of talking it out with my family and stuff, I kind of made the decision on my own, but I've got great support."

Merriman did participate in the evaluation service offered to underclass players by the NFL, in which personnel directors and scouts review him and make an assessment of his potential draft status. Their recommendation was that Merriman figures to be a first- or second-round selection.

Part of the appeal of Merriman, who is only 20 years old and checks in at 6-feet-4 and 262 pounds, is that he is the kind of hybrid "edge" player so many teams are seeking these days. Merriman played principally at linebacker but also lined up at defensive end in "nickel" situations. One scout told ESPN.com Tuesday night that he felt Merriman could play either of the outside linebacker spots or end in the NFL, and acknowledged that the Maryland standout is a "very rare" player.

"He's a pup who should become a big dog," said the scout, who works for an AFC club, but who is precluded by league rules from discussing underclass players for attribution, until they are officially accepted into the draft pool.

Source: ESPN 1/05/05

Definitely not the first guy. Every time I see his name, I think of Clam Chowder.

Hammock Parties
01-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Channing Crowder is a cool name.

Would it be possible to move him to ROLB?

the Talking Can
01-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Thurman sounds interesting only because of his personal life. A guy with that kind of pressure to provide for an extended family is probably going to bust his ass in the NFL.

Hammock Parties
01-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Thurman sounds interesting only because of his personal life. A guy with that kind of pressure to provide for an extended family is probably going to bust his ass in the NFL.

But only for money.

OmahaChief
01-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Channing Crowder is a cool name.

Would it be possible to move him to ROLB?

He ran out of people to beat up in Canesville so he declared early. Seriously, this guy comes with serious baggage, the type that I would not want on our team. Million dollar talent but 5 cent brain.

bringbackmarty
01-05-2005, 07:15 PM
no not only for money, for five kids, and the memory of the loss of his parents. what a prick.

Hammock Parties
01-05-2005, 07:19 PM
no not only for money, for five kids, and the memory of the loss of his parents. what a prick.

Right, but he's not in the NFL to make them proud. He wants money to support them.

You wonder about his dedication after he gets everyone set up for life.

SoCalBronco
01-05-2005, 07:36 PM
if i were you i would stay as far away from Crowder as possible. If the Chiefs draft him, you guys can have a weekly over/under on how many people are going to get kicked in the teeth/throat by him at the local nightclub each week. Stay very far away from Channing.

Iowanian
01-05-2005, 07:40 PM
If he is that big of a head case.........he'll fall a long ways. I'd be alright with the Chiefs taking a gamble on a million dollar talent, .05 brain in the 5-7th.....

The team could use an assassin on ST if nothing else.

shaneo69
01-05-2005, 07:41 PM
if i were you i would stay as far away from Crowder as possible. If the Chiefs draft him, you guys can have a weekly over/under on how many people are going to get kicked in the teeth/throat by him at the local nightclub each week. Stay very far away from Channing.

If he likes to get in bar fights, he fits the Dick Vermiel profile, like 2004 draftees Jared Allen and Junior Siavii, who had both been arrested for bar fights before they were drafted.

Iowanian
01-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Well the Choir Boys sure haven't been getting it done on Defense.

If he's that destined for Prison...He'll be a Raider or a Raven way before KC takes a shot.

I'd Love to see some more Big armed Jr QBs come out early..........top 10 picks.....drop the better Defensive talent to Chiefsville.

shaneo69
01-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Other underclassmen who have declared, according to GBN report...

Second Mountaineer junior to enter draft... As expected, West Virginia junior CB Adam 'Pac Man' Jones has announced that he will be entering the 2005 draft. Jones joins former Mountaineer teammate WR Chris Henry as an early entrant in this year's draft. The 5-11, 185-pound Jones, who doubles as one of the country's top punt returner - he averaged almost 15 yards per return this year - is considered to be a potential late-first-round prospect for the upcoming draft.

Gator soph LB to go pro... Florida sophomore LB Channing Crowder has announced that he will be entering the 2005 draft. While only a sophomore, Crowder is eligible for the draft because he took a year off after graduating from high school to rehab a knee injury. Crowder is 6-3, 245 and had 180 tackles the past couple of season for the Gators despite missing several games this fall with an arch problem.

RB, CB, and two LBs head to draft... The dribble of college underclassmen announcing their intentions to enter the 2005 draft turned into a deluge this morning with four more juniors reportedly headed to the NFL this winter. Included in the quartet are LBs Odell Thurman of Georgia and Shawne Merriman of Maryland, Clemson CB Justin Miller and Louisville RB Eric Shelton.

UGA DB heads to pros... Reports out of Georgia indicate that Bulldogs' junior DB Thomas Davis has decided to enter the 2005 draft. While there has been no official announcement, Davis has reportedly told the Georgia coaching staff as well as several other people of his decision. Davis has also reportedly signed with an agent. The 6-1, 225-pound Davis, a big hitter with range, projects to be a possible top 15 pick at this year's draft. There are teams, though, that reportedly will also look at Davis as a possible OLB. Meanwhile, the Georgia coaching staff is sweating it out waiting for decisions from two other Bulldog juniors: LB Odell Thurman and OT Max Jean-Gillies. Underclassmen have until January 18th to officially apply to the NFL for early entry to this year's draft.

Top junior RB NFL bound... Louisiana Tech junior RB Ryan Moats, who rushed for almost 3,100 yards the past couple of seasons, including 1,774 this fall, has announced that he will be foregoing his final year of college eligibility and entering the 2005 draft. Moats is a tad undersized at just 5-9, 205, however, he still projects to be a first-day pick this coming April.

Cal QB Rodgers to go pro... California junior QB Aaron Rodgers, expected to be one of the first players selected at the 2005 draft, has formally announced that he will indeed be leaving school and turning pro this winter.

Okie State RB leaves school; to enter draft... Pretty much as expected Oklahoma State junior RB Vernand Morency has decided to follow former OSU head coach Les Miles out of town and will enter the 2005 draft. Miles, of course, just signed on to replace Miami-bound Nick Saban at LSU. Morency burst on the scene this fall, finishing the year with just under 1,500 yards, despite missing some time with a balky knee.

Report: Ute QB Smith to go pro... The salt lake City Tribune, as well as several other sources, is reporting that Utah junior QB Alex Smith has indeed decided to enter the 2005 draft. Smith is expected to formally announce the decision either later today or tomorrow.

Husker CB to enter draft... Nebraska junior CB Fabian Washington is the latest underclassmen to enter the 2005 draft. Depending on how well he runs in pre-draft workouts, the 5-10, 180-pound Washington is a late-first to mid-second round prospect for this year's draft.

Top junior WR heads to NFL draft... As expected, West Virginia junior WR Chris Henry has announced that he will be foregoing his final year of eligibility and entering the 2005 draft. Henry's announcement came moments after the Mountaineers ended their season with a 30-18 loss to Florida State in today's Gator Bowl. Based on talent alone, the 6-5, 210-pound Henry is a potential first round pick this coming April, however, there have been some off-field issues which saw Henry suspended for a couple of games this season.

DaKCMan AP
01-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Crowder does have some off-the-field baggage. He has been involved in some fights here in Gainesville and has been suspended 1 game in each of his 2 seasons.

However, if he can mature his talent is way worth it. He will, no doubt, be one of the better MLBs in the NFL. He is a tackling machine who is an athletic freak. Major major playmaker.

SoCalBronco
01-06-2005, 12:50 AM
some baggage?
Kicking students teeth in at bars, grabbing people by the throat. On the police blotter at least twice a season? He is a worthless thug like his old man. If it was anyone but Gator homer Bill Cervone as the head prosecutor in Gainesville, this kid would be in maximum security prison by now. Channing and Zook are gone but the effects of how they tried to ruin Willie Williams will be felt for years and years everytime the Gaytes try and recruit a kid from Carol City.

DaKCMan AP
01-06-2005, 06:34 AM
some baggage?
Kicking students teeth in at bars, grabbing people by the throat. On the police blotter at least twice a season? He is a worthless thug like his old man. If it was anyone but Gator homer Bill Cervone as the head prosecutor in Gainesville, this kid would be in maximum security prison by now. Channing and Zook are gone but the effects of how they tried to ruin Willie Williams will be felt for years and years everytime the Gaytes try and recruit a kid from Carol City.

Willie Williams makes Crowder look harmless. Talk about thug.

OmahaChief
01-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Willie Williams makes Crowder look harmless. Talk about thug.

Willie has a checkered past for sure but not a violent one like Crowder. Williams stole things and got caught while Crowder knocked people around, lied about it then was charged and let off by a Gator booster that is a judge.

Willie is no saint but the only comparision between the two is the length of their rap sheet. The crimes are very different.

The Gator program attempted to destroy the kid becuase he would not sign with them, anyone that denies that fact is clueless about the situation.

I will never say Willie is an angel but by all accounts he is a good kid that was a crap bag as a juevy, his only crime as an adult were the trumped up charges in Canesville.