PDA

View Full Version : Who has been around here the longest? Not just here but the Star board too...

Mosbonian
01-06-2005, 02:04 AM
Nzoner's thread about celebrating his anniversary of achieving "no-life" status got me to wondering.....

Who has actually been around here the longest? Most of us migrated over from the old KC Star board...but when did you join that one?

If I remember right I was posting on the old Star Board around 1996....anyone on there before that?

mmaddog

Deberg_1990
01-06-2005, 02:06 AM
I started web posting about sports and the Chiefs back around 1995 on the old ESPN message boards. It was quite antiquated by todays standards. I used to post on occassion back on www.kcstar.com but stopped after i discovered this board.

|Zach|
01-06-2005, 02:08 AM
Chiefsplanet was the first board I ever posted on...I guess I posted a little bit back in the days when the Prodigy service was still going...man that was a long ass time ago.

Mosbonian
01-06-2005, 02:10 AM
I started web posting about sports and the Chiefs back around 1995 on the old ESPN message boards. It was quite antiquated by todays standards. I used to post on occassion back on www.kcstar.com but stopped after i discovered this board.

Really?

I was posting on the ESPN boards around that time too...I had just moved to South Carolina and needed my daily Chiefs fix.....what user name did you have......i've always been mmaddog wherever I have been.

The Star board was in existence for a couple of years before this place came about....

mmaddog

Logical
01-06-2005, 02:10 AM
I cannot beat you, I think I started in 1997

Deberg_1990
01-06-2005, 02:13 AM
Really?

I was posting on the ESPN boards around that time too...I had just moved to South Carolina and needed my daily Chiefs fix.....what user name did you have......i've always been mmaddog wherever I have been.

The Star board was in existence for a couple of years before this place came about....

mmaddog

Man i dont even remember?? Urbbie maybe?? Its been so long.....The WWW was great back in those days, pretty much everything was free around 1994/1995 now ESPN and CNN makes you pay for everything.

Phobia
01-06-2005, 02:16 AM
I'm uncertain. I know I was posting frequently when I was consulting to ALAC and that was '95 & 96. A long time. When I showed up at the Star's board, the old timers used to give me a rough time like I give all the college boys now. :D

Spicy McHaggis
01-06-2005, 02:19 AM
Man i dont even remember?? Urbbie maybe?? Its been so long.....The WWW was great back in those days, pretty much everything was free around 1994/1995 now ESPN and CNN makes you pay for everything.

That "Insider" crap sucks balls. Especially during draft season when that little draftnik demon comes out and takes over my soul.

|Zach|
I'm uncertain. I know I was posting frequently when I was consulting to ALAC and that was '95 & 96. A long time. When I showed up at the Star's board, the old timers used to give me a rough time like I give all the college boys now. :D
What are you looking at? You wanna fight me?

Nightfyre
I used to post on AOL boards back when I was like 8..... Man that was '93

Phobia
01-06-2005, 02:21 AM
What are you looking at? You wanna fight me?
I think I might. Let me get back to you, though. I wanna sleep on it.

Phobia
01-06-2005, 02:22 AM
I used to post on AOL boards back when I was like 8..... Man that was '93

Liar!

|Zach|
I think I might. Let me get back to you, though. I wanna sleep on it.
Ok, just keep in touch I guess so we can pencil in a time good for both of us.

Rausch
Chiefsplanet was the first board I ever posted on...I guess I posted a little bit back in the days when the Prodigy service was still going...man that was a long ass time ago.

I posted as FIXIT on the old star bb, and think I've got the last post ever on their old system before it kicked the bucket.

This site is SO much better... :)

|Zach|
01-06-2005, 02:23 AM
I posted as FIXIT on the old star bb, and think I've got the last post ever on their old system before it kicked the bucket.

This site is SO much better... :)
This site is soo much better than most sites around here today. It is amazing how many sites that have pretty good communities but are awful boards from a technical stand point.

I guess I can't talk to much crap. Our search engine got pawned or something.

Spicy McHaggis
01-06-2005, 02:30 AM
Ugh I just went and checked out www.kcstar.com. I would rather gouge my eyes out then read some doofus advocating that we trade Priest Holmes for the entire Ravens D or some other shat along those lines. All I can say is thank god for the Planet.

Phobia
01-06-2005, 02:34 AM
Heh heh - I suck ass.

Mosbonian
01-06-2005, 02:34 AM

I remember when you came onto the Star board...hell you spent most of your first few months explaining the origins of your user name...

Surely there is someone who has been around longer than me....it's been so long that I can hardly remember who were all the "regulars" at the old Star board. Maybe i just wanted to forget it because it sucked.

mmaddog

KCTitus
01-06-2005, 07:03 AM
I started posting on the kansascity.com BB in the offseason of 1998. Im not sure if that's what is being referred to as the 'star bb' or not. I did find that BB from the star's chiefs page...before I found the bb, I remember the star's chiefs page having a little 'talkback' forum which was pretty ghey and never posted on that.

Braincase
01-06-2005, 07:32 AM
I was on the Rivals board.

NewChief
01-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Was there ever a Chiefs usenet group? I was a diehard usenet user from 93-95 or so when I was doing a lot of trading of Grateful Dead and Phish bootlegs. Wasn't really into football back then, though.

Discussion boards have all but replaced usenet, but usenet had very similar communities, minus all the cute graphical crap.

Skip Towne
01-06-2005, 08:21 AM
I started posting on the kansascity.com BB in the offseason of 1998. Im not sure if that's what is being referred to as the 'star bb' or not. I did find that BB from the star's chiefs page...before I found the bb, I remember the star's chiefs page having a little 'talkback' forum which was pretty ghey and never posted on that.
I went on that talkback forum a few times. I thought those guys were a bunch of dorks. Later I found out one of them was Pastor Mike. He didn't act anything like he does now.

Dartgod
01-06-2005, 08:24 AM
I started on the Star BB around '97 or '98.

morphius
01-06-2005, 08:26 AM
I started posting over there right after phobia.

DaWolf
01-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Was there ever a Chiefs usenet group? I was a diehard usenet user from 93-95 or so when I was doing a lot of trading of Grateful Dead and Phish bootlegs. Wasn't really into football back then, though.

Discussion boards have all but replaced usenet, but usenet had very similar communities, minus all the cute graphical crap.

Yeah when I first started posting I was on the Star usenet group once I got internet access in college. Kent Pulliam, then the chiefs beat writer, would answer questions. There used to be some guy named Ray Erlichman or something who would always stir things up (think he was a Bears fan). That's the extent of my memory of that. Then a few boards popped up that I started posting at, Something called Chiefs Talk and then soon after a Chiefs board/AFC West coalition board where each team had a message board and then there was an AFC West board for talking smack. Posted on that for a long time until there was some sort of a bruhaha between the Chiefs and Raiders board webmasters, followed the Chiefs board to the private side, then came back to the Star board once that got revamped and Teicher started answering questions. Then that thing went to hell so I just came here when this board started and never looked back. There was also a Pigskin Park board or something but I barely posted there. Basically am a full time poster here. Don't have much time to visit any other boards, and really there is no need. This has become home...

Chiefnj
01-06-2005, 08:36 AM
I was on the Star board in 97 or 98 when everyone was using their real names and people still liked mememe.

memyselfI
01-06-2005, 08:44 AM
I was on the Star board in 97 or 98 when everyone was using their real names and people still liked mememe.

I started posting after the 97season but before the 98 season so I'm not sure if it was 97 or 98.

Yes, people were using real names and many started to not like me because I was one of King Carl's biggest critics...

and that was SEVEN (or eight) years ago. To think how much some things have changed and how little others have is astounding.

Infidel Goat
01-06-2005, 08:50 AM
I helped Al Gore pave the information super highway.

After that, I terrorized Bronco and Raider fans on the ESPN NFL chatroom by imitating Neil Smith (without Neilbonics) in the fall of 1993 on my then girlfriend's (now wife) home computer. I think she had a 14.4 modem at the time and she had no graphic browser (which was just as well considering the speed) so it was only text based taunting.

I was on the KC Star board fairly early. Early enough, anyway, that I remember when the "Ask Adam Teicher" section was handled by Kent Pulliam.

--Infidel Goat

ChiTown
01-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Star BB in 1997.

Chi
~approaching 8 years of total loserdom

Gaz
01-06-2005, 08:56 AM
...~approaching 8 years of total loserdom

Do you folks want to break it to him, or should I?

xoxo~
Gaz
Has the tough love thing going.

Frosty
01-06-2005, 09:03 AM
...a Chiefs board/AFC West coalition board where each team had a message board and then there was an AFC West board for talking smack.

That was the Home of the Chiefs Board (HOTCB), wasn't it? That's where I started. When it started falling apart, I read the Star board but never posted. Found out about the Planet when the mass exodus happened.

Dartgod
01-06-2005, 09:07 AM
That was the Home of the Chiefs Board (HOTCB), wasn't it? That's where I started. When it started falling apart, I read the Star board but never posted. Found out about the Planet when the mass exodus happened.
I thought it was just called The AFC West Coalition? I used to lurk there but never posted. IIRC, there was shit going on between a Raider fan named Quartermaster and some other people. I could be totally wrong though.

ChiTown
01-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Do you folks want to break it to him, or should I?

xoxo~
Gaz
Has the tough love thing going.

:sulk:

But, but, but, all my friends in the chess club think I'm the ginchiest.......

Rukdafaidas
01-06-2005, 09:30 AM
I lurked some on the old Star BB, but not very often. I remember there always being a squable between an A's fan and a Rangers fan. Anyone know who I'm talking about?
I lurked every once in a while here after it started, but forgot my username. I still can't remember what it was.

htismaqe
01-06-2005, 09:31 AM
I started posting on the CBS Sportsline message board around 1996 and moved over to the Star about 1998 I think.

Rain Man
01-06-2005, 09:56 AM
I knocked on the door of the old Star board on a cold, rainy night in about 1999, and someone let me in. I then didn't migrate to chiefsplanet until the Star Board "temporarily closed for remodeling."

Skip Towne
01-06-2005, 10:02 AM
I first started internet posting when all the posters had their typewriters linked together with really long pieces of string. Back then we used to pick at each other and fight alot. I'll bet none of you n00bs remember that.

ChiefsOne
01-06-2005, 10:04 AM
I began on the Star site sometime in '96 and came here as soon as I found out about it, October 2000.

Rain Man
01-06-2005, 10:09 AM
I first started internet posting when all the posters had their typewriters linked together with really long pieces of string. Back then we used to pick at each other and fight alot. I'll bet none of you n00bs remember that.

"Ignore" was just a pair of scissors.

ROYC75
01-06-2005, 10:12 AM
I was a lurking around in 98, late 98 was posting, got hooked in 99 and switched here in 2000.

Prior to that, I wasn't around a PC.

Iowanian
01-06-2005, 10:15 AM
I started reading the star message board in 98 I think, and posted a little in 99 as "roy d mercer"....I do remember feeling like I was interupting some good ole boy conversation though.

The first Spit I got involved in was "the Mike Keck Affair"..........I think my first real blast on the net was teh "secret agent keck" song rendition.........I remember the "fight at the airport" and Phildo telling Keck he weighed 300lbs. He posted his #, and someone called him a few times telling him it was "me".

After a the first fledgling "iowanian" posts towards the guy I recall one of the regulars quoting and posting "ummmm someone's gonna get in trouble" and thinking "oh shit what did I do? now they'll contact my boss yada yada yada".

Spent a fair amount of time making fun of "those internet people".

Never felt "comfortable" until a fresh start oportunity opened up at some place called chiefsplanet.

I don't think I really knew how to turn a computer before 95-96...even had chics type my papers in college.

Skip Towne
01-06-2005, 10:16 AM
"Ignore" was just a pair of scissors.
:LOL: Rainman strikes again!!!!!

Phobia
01-06-2005, 10:49 AM
I thought it was just called The AFC West Coalition? I used to lurk there but never posted. IIRC, there was shit going on between a Raider fan named Quartermaster and some other people. I could be totally wrong though.

Holy crap. That's where all the original Marc Centani and JD Prez stuff started. That was a long time ago.

Slayer Diablo
01-06-2005, 10:53 AM
I can't beat very many people at this...I've only been here since 2002.

Bob Dole
01-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Bob Dole initially posted on the Star BB as Sloat. Then for some long-forgotten reason, Bob Dole switched to this annoying Bob Dole schtick.

Seems like it was in the 80's.

Phobia
01-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Bob Dole initially posted on the Star BB as Sloat. Then for some long-forgotten reason, Bob Dole switched to this annoying Bob Dole schtick.

Seems like it was in the 80's.

I'm not absolutely certain of the reason, but I think you were drunk. Am I close?

|Zach|
01-06-2005, 12:49 PM
ROFL

Monty
01-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah when I first started posting I was on the Star usenet group once I got internet access in college. Kent Pulliam, then the chiefs beat writer, would answer questions. There used to be some guy named Ray Erlichman or something who would always stir things up (think he was a Bears fan). That's the extent of my memory of that. Then a few boards popped up that I started posting at, Something called Chiefs Talk and then soon after a Chiefs board/AFC West coalition board where each team had a message board and then there was an AFC West board for talking smack. Posted on that for a long time until there was some sort of a bruhaha between the Chiefs and Raiders board webmasters, followed the Chiefs board to the private side, then came back to the Star board once that got revamped and Teicher started answering questions. Then that thing went to hell so I just came here when this board started and never looked back. There was also a Pigskin Park board or something but I barely posted there. Basically am a full time poster here. Don't have much time to visit any other boards, and really there is no need. This has become home...

I'm thinking that I pretty much just followed you around everywhere. ;) I can't believe you still remember Ray or the Kent Pulliam Q & A stuff. I remember helping Rick's sister(Cathy?) set up the first chatrooms at ChiefsTalk.com back in the fall of '96. I still call the other board home because of the friendships developed back in the day, but I consider the Planet my vacation retreat. :D Both places have great people and each board has their own good qualities. :thumb:

Bob Dole
01-06-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm not absolutely certain of the reason, but I think you were drunk. Am I close?

Probably. Bob Dole was probably drunk and heard a Bob Dole for President ad and decided it would be funny for a couple of days.

A couple of days...nine years...

**** moderation.

CanadaKC
01-06-2005, 03:53 PM
do I get a special achievement award for being the longest-running Canadian on this board and the Star? :p

Raiderhater
01-06-2005, 04:07 PM
I do not have the history some of you do, I started on the Star Board a few months before the Planet came to be. So some time in 2000....

Rain Man
01-06-2005, 04:09 PM
do I get a special achievement award for being the longest-running Canadian on this board and the Star? :p

We'll present you with a key to the city of Moose Jaw (one of my favorite city names in the world, by the way).

Iowanian
01-06-2005, 04:12 PM
When skip started his first Message board...........It was a note tied to a carrier pidgeon.

Braincase
01-06-2005, 04:13 PM
When skip started his first Message board...........It was a note tied to a carrier pidgeon.

BS! Skip freakin' invented smoke signals.!

Monty
01-06-2005, 04:17 PM

Close, he invented smoke.

Iowanian
01-06-2005, 04:27 PM

Its not his fault he was sending up quick puffs of smoke........I doubt personal lubricants had been perfected yet, and he has admitted to having a cave-drawing stick pRon fetish.

I don't know if that was necessarily "communication"...other than getting a grip on his man to hand relationship.

keeping a cave wall under your matress so his mama couldn't find it must have been a real mastadon.

Phobia
01-06-2005, 04:30 PM

Yes, and we hope you'll pay the outstanding balance in a reasonable amount of time, too.

BIG_DADDY
01-06-2005, 04:32 PM
So is that your dog?

mississippichiefan
01-06-2005, 04:57 PM
I started posting on the old star board in 1998

Mosbonian
01-06-2005, 07:40 PM
So is that your dog?

BD....

If that question is for me...no, it's just a sig picture that 4th and Long made for me...

mmaddog

Chieficus
01-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Got my first computer that wasn't a commodore (Sp?) 64 in September '97... quickly started on the KC Star's "Talkback" forum thingy, migrated to the BB there...played around there and at the Denver Post and at the Inside Denver forums... then came here on September 9, 2000...

go bo
01-06-2005, 08:03 PM
I first started internet posting when all the posters had their typewriters linked together with really long pieces of string. Back then we used to pick at each other and fight alot. I'll bet none of you n00bs remember that.yeah, they don't make string like that any more...

Skip Towne
01-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Yes, Bob Dole is a pretty weak username alright. A gimpy armed phony Kansas Senator that hasn't lived in Kansas for 40 years. Real nice, Sloat.

Skip Towne
01-06-2005, 08:18 PM
That doesn't matter. I STILL invented the internet.

Inspector
01-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Posted a few times on the Star BB, around 98 - 99, I believe.

Lurked Pigskinpark and here until I started posting here in early '04.

Still don't know why.............