PDA

View Full Version : Pseudo-bad news for KC

Chiefnj
01-06-2005, 09:54 AM
In the event CP bails with DV next year, the question would become who will be the new GM. One guy I would have been interested in was Ozzie Newsome's protege in Baltimore. He is one of the better draft/scout guys. 20 of the 22 starters at Baltimore were drafted by the guy. But, it looks like the Browns got him this year:

Baltimore Sun
January 06, 2005
Ravens appear to lose Savage to the Browns

By Jamison Hensley
Sun Staff

January 6, 2005

Phil Savage will be named the Cleveland Browns' general manager at a news conference today barring a last-minute snag in negotiations, a Ravens source said yesterday.

If Savage goes to the Browns, the Ravens would lose their top talent evaluator and a vital cog in their drafting success to an AFC North rival.

Savage, 39, the Ravens' well-respected director of player personnel, has been the team's No. 2 personnel man under general manager Ozzie Newsome and a major reason why the Ravens have drafted 10 Pro Bowl players in nine years (which started with the selections of offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden and linebacker Ray Lewis).

In a hallway of the Ravens' practice complex last night, Savage declined to comment when asked if he had accepted the Browns' job. Savage, one of the hottest executive candidates the past three years, did not want to talk before the deal was official.

Savage's agent, Neil Cornrich, was hammering out the final details of the contract with Cleveland officials last night, a source said.

The hiring of Savage could benefit Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, who is considered a candidate for the Browns' head coaching job.

Cleveland wants a general manager in place as soon as possible so he can have input into the selection of a coach. Savage's familiarity with Nolan - they've worked together the past four seasons with the Ravens - might increase Nolan's chances of being selected from a pool that includes Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress, New England Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator Ed Donatell and Pittsburgh Steelers assistant head coach Russ Grimm.

Savage's draft expertise would be tapped right away because the Browns have the No. 3 overall pick in April.

The Ravens' current makeup is a credit to Savage's keen eye for dissecting talent. Of the Ravens' 22 starters last season, 20 were drafted by the Ravens or signed as undrafted rookies.

The Ravens' success in the first round is well-publicized from their first one (Ogden) to their latest one (linebacker Terrell Suggs). But later-round picks like left guard Edwin Mulitalo (fourth round), linebackers Ed Hartwell (fourth) and Adalius Thomas (sixth), dime back Chad Williams (sixth) and receiver Clarence Moore (sixth) are a tribute to their ability to dig up players.

Known for scouring the country as a scout, Savage has filed more reports on college players than any other person in the Ravens' organization. His tireless work and laid-back demeanor are key factors in why he has commanded such respect and loyalty from the other scouts.

The Ravens' scouting department is expected to remain mostly intact because everyone is still under contract for one more year. It is unknown whether Savage could lure anyone if he offers promotions.

If Savage is named general manager today, his NFL career would come full circle. He got his start in the league in 1991 as a defensive assistant in Cleveland.

When the franchise moved and was renamed the Ravens in 1996, Savage was named the team's director of college scouting. Seven years later, he was promoted to director of player personnel.

htismaqe
01-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Savage would bring with him a smashmouth style. He's great at evaluating defenders, and pretty good with linemen and back. But his WR and QB prospects have been HORRIBLE.

shaneo69
01-06-2005, 09:59 AM
I think Denny Thum will be available.

Brock
01-06-2005, 11:05 AM
I think Denny Thum will be available.

Yes, but if not, I am sure we will get lucky and snag Bill Kuharich.

BigChiefFan
01-06-2005, 11:11 AM
The 49ers just dumped their GM, but after hearing Carl's recent comments my faith in the organization is sunk. Talking about going after GM's like Newsome are a pipe dream.

shaneo69
01-06-2005, 05:28 PM
The 49ers just dumped their GM, but after hearing Carl's recent comments my faith in the organization is sunk. Talking about going after GM's like Newsome are a pipe dream.

I could see Terry Donahue ending up here as a consultant or some other type of scouting job since he has the UCLA connection.

tk13
01-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Yes, but if not, I am sure we will get lucky and snag Bill Kuharich.
Gah, please no. If you think there is a lot of complaining about Carl now.... the board would crash three times a week over Kuharich.

CanadaKC
01-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Anyone's better than our so-called "talent evaluator"...half of us could scout better than our guys.

tk13
01-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Anyone's better than our so-called "talent evaluator"...half of us could scout better than our guys.
Haha, be careful what you wish for. Kuharich would trade our entire draft the next two years for Cedric Benson.