PDA

View Full Version : Movie Geek news - Superman Returns

Fire Me Boy!
01-08-2005, 05:07 AM
The news about Superman Returns, directed by Bryan Singer who gave up X-Men 3 to do this movie, is this: casting decisions are being made, including unknown (in the vein of the original) Brandon Routh as Superman, Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane, and, best of all, Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor.

I'm stoked.

tk13
01-08-2005, 05:20 AM
Man I don't know if I'm going to be able to buy into this group doing as good of a job as the originals, Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman are burned into our memories. I looked up this Routh's filmography, he's not hardly done a thing, his only real performances were on One Life to Live and MTV's Undressed. I think he looks the part though..

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/68/55/58m.jpg

The bigger thing is I don't know if I can see Kevin Spacey pulling of Lex Luthor...

Fire Me Boy!
01-08-2005, 05:26 AM
I have more faith in Kevin Spacey than just about any other actor working these days... no kidding. But you're right, the kid looks the part.

Look up Reeve's filmography and see what he'd done prior to Superman in 1978... two things. One film, one TV show.

I also have tremendous faith in Singer as a director.

Fairplay
01-08-2005, 05:29 AM
Superman BLAH!

tk13
01-08-2005, 05:31 AM
Well Spacey can do it, I get the feeling that he'd spin it into a more dark and serious Lex Luthor, rather so than the witty, sometimes comical evil genius that Gene Hackman was.... I always really liked that character. Then again for all I know I could be totally 180 degrees wrong, we'll find out.

Fire Me Boy!
01-08-2005, 05:48 AM
And in the upcoming Dukes of Hazzard, Burt Reynolds is going to be Boss Hogg... I always thought Danny DeVito would make a good Boss Hogg.

whoman69
01-08-2005, 09:36 AM
I am just glad that Nicholas Cage didn't get the big role like I was hearing. There's got to be something wrong with X Men for someone to turn it down for this project.

Brandon Routh?
Actor - filmography
(In Production) (2000s)

Superman Returns (2006) (pre-production) .... Superman/Clark Kent
Deadly (2005) (post-production) .... Tim Peters

"One Life to Live" (1968) TV Series .... Seth Anderson #1 (2001-2002)
"Undressed" (1999) TV Series (as Brandon 'B.J.' Routh) .... Wade (2000: Season 3)
... aka MTV's Undressed (USA: complete title)

Filmography as: Actor, Notable TV Guest Appearances

Notable TV Guest Appearances

"Oliver Beene" playing "Brian" in episode: "Dibs" (episode # 2.2) 4 February 2004
"Will & Grace" playing "Sebastian" in episode: "A Gay/December Romance" (episode # 6.12) 22 January 2004
"Cold Case" playing "Young Henry Phillips" in episode: "A Time to Hate" (episode # 1.7) 16 November 2003
"Gilmore Girls" playing "Jess" (as Brandon 'B.J.' Routh) in episode: "Concert Interruptus" (episode # 1.13) 15 February 2001
"Odd Man Out" playing "Connor" (as B.J. Routh) in episode: "You've Got Female" (episode # 1.5) 22 October 1999
filmography (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0746125/)

He is a fellow Iowan though.

BigRedChief
01-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Who ever heard of Christopher Reeve before Superman?

Doubting Kevin Spacey as an actor? :shake:

Deberg_1990
01-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Spacey should be perfect for this role. Hopefully they will let him be bald for most of the movie. It will be hard for them to top Reeve and Hackman though but they can come close. Singer is a good director, at least it will be serious and NOT campy. His X-Men films are my favorite Marvel films even over the Spiderman films IMO.

Fire Me Boy!
01-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Nothing wrong with X-Men 3, to my knowledge. In an interview, Singer just said it had always been a dream of his to direct a Superman film, and when the opportunity came up he wasn't going to let X-Men stand in the way.

Frankie
01-08-2005, 01:12 PM
I looked up this Routh's filmography, he's not hardly done a thing, his only real performances were on One Life to Live and MTV's Undressed. I think he looks the part though..

He does look the part. A few years ago they had lined up Nicholas Cage for the role!! :banghead: Thank God the project fell apart then.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2005, 01:16 PM
And in the upcoming Dukes of Hazzard, Burt Reynolds is going to be Boss Hogg... I always thought Danny DeVito would make a good Boss Hogg.

Burt is Boss Hogg... damn, that's bad casting. Maybe Simpson will show off her cans or something. This movie has almost no hope.

Which two 20 something hollywood pretty boys have they cast for Bo and Luke?

And, will the General Lee have the stars and bars on the top? I'm guessing not... this film has disaster written all over it.

Unless Simpson shows us her cans, of course.

Eleazar
01-08-2005, 01:25 PM
I can only hope this one will be as hilariously bad as Superman 4

Valiant
01-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Burt is Boss Hogg... damn, that's bad casting. Maybe Simpson will show off her cans or something. This movie has almost no hope.

Which two 20 something hollywood pretty boys have they cast for Bo and Luke?

And, will the General Lee have the stars and bars on the top? I'm guessing not... this film has disaster written all over it.

Unless Simpson shows us her cans, of course.

one is johnney knoxville the other is sean william scott...and simpsons dukes are not small enough from what i have seen of the footage...

----------------------

For superman, i think it will suck.. they are rehashing the other movies.. they need to do one of the other villians....

---------------------

sin city will be one of the better comic to films coming out... it is packed full of good actors...will be in mostly black and white with color thrown around ala pleasantville...

Cast (in credits order)
Jessica Alba .... Nancy Callahan
Rosario Dawson .... Gail
Elijah Wood .... Kevin
Maria Bello .... Ava Lord
Bruce Willis .... John Hartigan
Benicio Del Toro .... Jack Rafferty
Michael Clarke Duncan .... Manute
Carla Gugino .... Lucille
Josh Hartnett .... The Salesman
Michael Madsen .... Bob
Jaime King .... Goldie/Wendy
Brittany Murphy .... Shellie
Clive Owen .... Dwight
Mickey Rourke .... Marv
Nick Stahl .... Junior/Yellow Bastard
Marley Shelton .... The Customer
Arie Verveen .... Murphy

Devon Aoki .... Miho
Alexis Bledel .... Becky
Chelsea Bulte .... Waitress
Jason Douglas .... Hitman
Penny Drake .... Old Town Girl
Lauren-Elaine Edleson .... Old Town Girl
Rick Gomez .... Mr. Shlubb
Rutger Hauer .... Cardinal Roark
Natalie Hess .... Old Town Girl
Ethan Maniquis .... Bozo #1
Jason McDonald .... Ronnie
Sherrell Murphy-Ramos .... Molly Prince
Tommy Nix .... Weeval
Scott Teeters .... Lenny/Benny
Ken Thomas .... Bozo #2
Makenzie Vega .... Young Nancy
Chris Warner .... Bozo #3
Katherine Willis .... Nurse

warpaint99
01-08-2005, 02:40 PM
The director ,Singer, is the guy that directed X-men so it might be good. Xmen II didn't impress me.