PDA

View Full Version : Is Antiques Road Show cool or what?

Rain Man
01-08-2005, 08:10 PM
I really like that show. I find some of the valuations to be silly, though.

They just showed "The Best of Antiques Road Show" where they highlighted the most valuable items ever uncovered. Most of them were things that I'd walk right by in a garage sale, including the most valuable thing ever aired on the show. It was a plain-looking blanket with about five stripes that some Joe Sixpack brought in. The appraiser said it was a perfect example of early Navajo weaving and appraised it at $350,000 to $500,000.

teedubya
01-08-2005, 08:12 PM
if the shows producers were smart, they would capitalize on the shows popularity and create an online auction where people could bid on the items that were appraised, or do a co-op with eBay or some shit.

KcMizzou
01-08-2005, 08:12 PM
I get more of a kick out of the people who are so convinced that they have something extremely valuable, and it turns out that it was made in China.. circa 1987.

Phobia
01-08-2005, 08:14 PM
I think I'm going to find some dirty appraisers and start a business called Salvation Armee.

Rain Man
01-08-2005, 08:16 PM
I get more of a kick out of the people who are so convinced that they have something extremely valuable, and it turns out that it was made in China.. circa 1987.

Those hurt to watch. I saw one a long time ago where some dude paid several thousand dollars for a Mayan or Olmec "artifact" that was in reality the Mexican equivalent of a GI Joe.

Hammock Parties
01-08-2005, 08:29 PM
I hate that show. They need to spice it up. Have some old wanker drop a priceless ming vase.

Jenny Gump
01-08-2005, 08:31 PM

Damnit, that's what I was gonna say. That is funny as hell...I love it when they drop the bad news...

"Well, Mr. Tightwad, this ugly ass painting, that sort of looks like it would be worth a lot of money isn't. It might bring $39.95 at auction, well...that is, IF you throw in a lapdance from Mrs. Tightwad."

Dave Lane
01-09-2005, 05:10 PM
I agree the busts are much more telling. This is what I do half the time so yes I can guess 80% of them.

Dave

DanT
01-09-2005, 06:26 PM
I saw one segment that featured what would have been a valuable antique Coca-Cola advertisement, except that someone had made a homemade jigsaw puzzle out of it.
Ouch!

mikey23545
01-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Love it, and have a season pass setup on my Direct TV DVR so it records every episode....

Rain Man
01-09-2005, 06:48 PM
I saw one segment that featured what would have been a valuable antique Coca-Cola advertisement, except that someone had made a homemade jigsaw puzzle out of it.
Ouch!

Yeah. Ouch. That's like the furniture pieces where the person stripped it and lowered its value by $20,000.

I can intellectually understand the value of keeping the piece original, but I still find it odd that a valuable piece of furniture is worth more if its grimy and time-darkened and still has the original varnish or whatever on it. It seems like it should be just as valuable or more if its restored to look like its original appearance.