PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help

jollymon
01-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Well here goes....We got a slightly used computer from the father-in-law that is one of those you fix it, it's yours kind of deals. His wife got a virus and it somehow did something to the Hard-drive and I told him no big deal I think I can fix it.

Well obviously I can't because I can't even get a response from the system because I can turn it on and the monitor does not even show anything going on. The monitor light acts like the tower is turned off, I know it isnt the monitor because I tried the newer monitor on the older system and it worked just fine.

I was wondering could this Motherboard be fried, could the video card be fried, or could something from the Hard-drive such as a virus possibly be causing this. I would really like to get this computer up and running, and to tell the truth I have never read anything about a virus totally tearing down a system like this one appears to be.

For the record my father-in-law said it would boot to a prompt that asked how you wanted to boot the system (normal, safe, etc) before he brought it down today.

I will probably go out to wal-mart tommorrow and pick up a cheap video card and hard-drive to see if I can fix it that way tommorrow, but if any of you tech gurus have any ideas about how I could possilby salvage this system PLEASE let me know.

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2005, 12:45 AM
Does the fan turn on....could be a bad power supply...you would get the BIOS splash screen if it was just the hdd...and some sort of system disk error if the HDD was bad.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-09-2005, 12:46 AM
One possible solution. Someone may have repalced the onboard video card with another one. Be sure and check and see that you are plugged into the right one.
As stupid as this sounds I had the same problem one time when I assumed that here had only been one board installed, until I looked closer and plugged into the other available monitor jack and it worked.

Garcia Bronco
Sometimes when you have no power it could be a fried processor

Miles
Sounds like the MB or the video card. But im not that good at troubleshooting hardware. If it were the hard drive it would at least display something and just fail to access it on startup.

If you dont need the computer immediatly i would suggest buying any parts you may need online. Its significantly cheaper than wal-mart and if you order from a good site you will get em pretty quick.

www.newegg.com is probably the best one out there.

jollymon
01-09-2005, 12:50 AM
Both fans come on. I was just buying the hardware from wal-mart to see if that is the problem and return it because I am not paying thier obscene prices for hardware, they are just the only game REMOTELY close and I am interested in seeing if I can clear this up.

The onboard Video is the only plug in for the monitor.

Phobia
01-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Dude - post the computer specs and I'll tell you if it's worth putting $10 into.

I suspect you're gonna get yourself into a mess and you're putting a vette engine into a Geo Metro.

jollymon
01-09-2005, 12:53 AM
It is like a P4 2.4 and still uses SD ram. I know its not worth putting much into but the one we are running now is an OLD P3 and don't really have the cabbage to shell out for a new system with the new baby, and a big move coming up....Not to mention we just shelled out 1200 bucks for 2 new chairs for the living room and if I spend 1200 bucks for a chair I want a damn leather recliner :cuss:

Phobia
01-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Dude - that's worth throwing a little money into.

Carry on.

Darkwolfe
01-09-2005, 12:57 AM
If it says HP or Compaq on it it's probably not worth salvaging. If it's really a 2.4 Ghz p4, that's probably DDR not SD Ram. I could be wrong of course....

www.davespcgarage.com and e-mail me there if you can't figure it out.

jollymon
01-09-2005, 12:57 AM
Good to hear, cause the old one sure isn't.

I am just hoping the Mobo isn't fried.

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2005, 12:58 AM
Both fans come on. I was just buying the hardware from wal-mart to see if that is the problem and return it because I am not paying thier obscene prices for hardware, they are just the only game REMOTELY close and I am interested in seeing if I can clear this up.

The onboard Video is the only plug in for the monitor.

Then it is possible that the onboard video has gone bad....you have of course checked brightness, etc...make sure your power supply is set to 115.

It might be as simple as getting a new video card....

Does the machine make normal boot-up sounds.....do you here the beeps when you start it up?

jollymon
01-09-2005, 12:59 AM
If it says HP or Compaq on it it's probably not worth salvaging. If it's really a 2.4 Ghz p4, that's probably DDR not SD Ram. I could be wrong of course....

www.davespcgarage.com and e-mail me there if you can't figure it out.

It is a Dell, and when I went there to enter in the Service tag to get the specs and it said 256 SDRAM so I am fairly certain of that and the P4 thing.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-09-2005, 01:00 AM
It is like a P4 2.4 and still uses SD ram. I know its not worth putting much into

Man I just bought a used Pentium IIII 2.0ghz from a friend of mine and thought I finally had a nice computer..............now you tell me different.:shake:

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Good to hear, cause the old one sure isn't.

I am just hoping the Mobo isn't fried.

I doubt the mother board is fried....you probably wouldn't get power at all. Or the power button light would blink.

jollymon
Then it is possible that the onboard video has gone bad....you have of course checked brightness, etc...make sure your power supply is set to 115.

It might be as simple as getting a new video card....

Does the machine make normal boot-up sounds.....do you here the beeps when you start it up?

None of the lights on the front come on and I can't hear any of the beeps all I can hear is the fans starting up.

Also Dells have this feature with 4 lights on the back and they light different for diagnosing problems. The forth light comes on and is kind of a yellowish/green tint.

Phobia
Man I just bought a used Pentium IIII 2.0ghz from a friend of mine and thought I finally had a nice computer..............now you tell me different.:shake:

You'd laugh if I told you what I was posting on.

It's better than what I was using 2 months ago, at least.

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Does it suit your needs and your budget?

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2005, 01:04 AM
None of the lights on the front come on and I can't hear any of the beeps all I can hear is the fans starting up.

Also Dells have this feature with 4 lights on the back and they light different for diagnosing problems. The forth light comes on and is kind of a yellowish/green tint.
Is the red switch in the back set to 115....it might have been switched while being moved.

bricks
01-09-2005, 01:05 AM
i gotta a question. Bit off topic, I'm a bit of a dumbass when it comes to comp abreviations.
Some guy asked me if I'm running a service pack 2 for MS XP? MS XP---is that microsoft explorer? right or wrong.

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2005, 01:06 AM

It could be the processor then as well.

Check their website for user manuals on that model and it should tell you what the lights are.

What's the model number or pm me the service tag.

jollymon
01-09-2005, 01:07 AM

Actually this one will. I just get irritated at computers extremely easy and I should be thankful I got this one for free, in fact I am passing along the old one to my younger sister as soon as I get this one up and running. Of course I am reinstalling windows and attempting to get it running as good as I possibly can.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-09-2005, 01:07 AM
You'd laugh if I told you what I was posting on.

It's better than what I was using 2 months ago, at least.

Actuall I am posting from my pentium II 350 mhz so I wont be laughing at anyone right now. Although I am kind of fond of this old girl, we have been through alot together.:p

Darkwolfe
01-09-2005, 01:08 AM
It is a Dell, and when I went there to enter in the Service tag to get the specs and it said 256 SDRAM so I am fairly certain of that and the P4 thing.

Ok, that's gotta be pc133 ram then. Not the fastest thing in the universe but as it's a Dell, likely worth salvaging.

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Checkout this link Jolly

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2350/advanced.htm#1218079

theultimatekcchiefsfan
i gotta a question for myself. Bit off topic, I'm a bit of a dumbass when it comes to comp abreviations.
Some guy asked me if I'm running a service pack 2 for MS XP? MS XP---is that microsoft explorer? right or wrong.

Sounds like the guy phrasing the question is more of a dumb-ass than you are.:hmmm: translation............Windows XP.

jollymon
Is the red switch in the back set to 115....it might have been switched while being moved.

Yes it is switched to 115. Just checked that when i got the tag for you.

bricks
01-09-2005, 01:13 AM
Sounds like the guy phrasing the question is more of a dumb-ass than you are.:hmmm: translation............Windows XP.

Maybe i'm not that bad after all :sulk:

Darkwolfe
01-09-2005, 01:14 AM
Hmm... Pull every card out of the thing and then power it on with just the MBD, Ram, and proc in it. If that doesn't work, e-mail me from www.davespcgarage.com and well work out a time for some diagnostics. I do the diags for free so at the very least, I can tell you what it will need to get it working.

This is of course assuming (dangerous I know) that you are in the KC area.

Wasn't planning on a commercial here guys, somebody just needs the help and that's what I do. :)

jollymon
01-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Can't do the diags with you man. I am about 24 hours or so away from KC in the middle of Titan hell. I'd throw the business your way if I was close but it'd be a bitch for me to mail.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-09-2005, 01:16 AM

Yes. it has 765 meg DDR plus Paintshop Pro 9 full version along with Photoshop and Microsoft XP office and a memory card reader. Lots of top of line programs also. The guy was a stickler for only using legal software. I guess I did ok. $300.00

bricks
01-09-2005, 01:18 AM
MS XP would refer to the OS(operating system) Windows XP

Internet Explorer is usually called IE

Microsoft could have a service for either IE or an OS out there

IE is on version 6 and I believe there is at least a service pack 1 out there for it...abbr IE6SP1

XPsp2 would be Windows XP service pack 2

Ok so my comp is a Mac os x. Where would that leave me? What kinda service pack..any guess?

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2005, 01:19 AM
Checkout this link Jolly

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2350/advanced.htm#1218079

Darkwolfe
Dang you are out a ways lol. Ok, drop me an email with the service tag in it and I'll pull what I can and send it back. Ain't leaving you hanging if I can help it.

Doh.. didn't see the Ky in the location there...

Phobia
Ok so my comp is a Mac os x. Where would that leave me? What kinda service pack..any guess?

Yeah. You need to find a new tech.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-09-2005, 01:20 AM

Been there done that. I wanted to beat somebodys ass for switching that little bastard. 45$ for a new power supply.:banghead:

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2005, 01:20 AM

You would have to check with MAC...I doubt they have one...probably don't need one.

jollymon
01-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Hm. That link looks like it may help out tremendously.

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Yes. it has 765 meg DDR plus Paintshop Pro 9 full version along with Photoshop and Microsoft XP office and a memory card reader. Lots of top of line programs also. The guy was a stickler for only using legal software. I guess I did ok. $300.00

Then you got a great computer

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2005, 01:24 AM
Hm. That link looks like it may help out tremendously.

What color are the 4 on the back of your machine.

G,G,G,Y?

theultimatekcchiefsfan
Wasn't planning on a commercial here guys, somebody just needs the help and that's what I do. :)

Hey this place turns into Pc Help and Repair in the offseason. It kind of makes up for all the arguing and name calling that goes on after a season like this. Thanks for helping all.:clap:

bricks
Yeah. You need to find a new tech.

So your saying most likely Mac wouldn't have it?

jollymon
01-09-2005, 01:27 AM
What color are the 4 on the back of your machine.

G,G,G,Y?

0ff,0ff,0ff,Y

No light is coming from the back I turned off the kitchen light just to make sure there was no color from the other LED's

Pants
01-09-2005, 01:28 AM
So your saying most likely Mac wouldn't have it?

Mac's don't use Windows and have nothing to do with the service packs Microsoft puts out. You have a Mac OS and virues are not usually made to attack Macs. You are fine and your tech dude is an idiot.

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2005, 01:34 AM
Damn...they don't have that one listed. It's either system board, BIOS, Processor, power supply, or onboard video card.
I'd open the thing up and make sure everything is securely connected on the inside before I spent any cash. Odd that it worked before it was moved and doesn't now.

The power supply and the video cared are the easiest to swap first.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-09-2005, 01:37 AM
You are fine and your tech dude is an idiot.

Hmmmmmm. We agree:thumb:

jollymon
01-09-2005, 01:37 AM
I will try a few things when I get up tommorrow, but for now I appreciate all the help given so far and am heading to bed. I am t-totally exhausted.

Good fight, Good night.

No beeps on the boot-up, if that helps any.

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2005, 01:38 AM
That Dimesion might have a daughter card that has come loose, Jolly.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-09-2005, 01:39 AM
There is one other possible solution. Some idiot could have disabled your adapter in hardware profiles. I know because I am an idiot who did this very thing one time when I couldnt get the drivers to load properly.

Then I would have to say take it to the shop.

jollymon
01-09-2005, 01:40 AM
That Dimesion might have a daughter card that has come loose, Jolly.

What is a daughter card? I seen this after I did the edit.

jollymon
01-09-2005, 01:42 AM
There is one other possible solution. Some idiot could have disabled your adapter in hardware profiles. I know because I am an idiot who did this very thing one time when I couldnt get the drivers to load properly.

Then I would have to say take it to the shop.

They didn't do that, they gave up on it after the virus. The father-in-law runs a pretty tight network in his house and didn't want to risk ruining one of the "hoss computers."

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2005, 01:50 AM
What is a daughter card? I seen this after I did the edit.

Some machines will have a huge card perpendicular to the mother board....a daughter card is usually an extension of the mother board. You would know it as soon as you saw it.

Manila-Chief
01-09-2005, 02:18 AM
Been there done that. I wanted to beat somebodys ass for switching that little bastard. 45$ for a new power supply.:banghead:

Do you use 220v power for your computers? If not ... why would having it switched to 220v blow your power supply when you plug it into 110v? Usually, electrical gizmos are not destroyed that way. I've done that and the computer would not power on correctly. Was red faced when the mistake was pointed out to me. Made the switch and it woked fine.

Once I brought back a new a new computer. A Rotary friend was installing a lan card for me that was set on 110v. and he plugged it to 220v. It fried the power supply as quickly as an egg on a Western KS sidewalk in mid-August. He did replace it....