PDA

View Full Version : computer ignorant question

angel
01-09-2005, 11:31 AM
My roommates and I have a modem for cable internet. I wanted to hook my laptop up to it and have my roommate's computer on it at the same time. One of the places in the back to stick things into is an ethernet hole, the other is a USB. The ethernet hole is plugged into my roommate's computer, so I stuck the USB cable into the other hole and then to my laptop. It won't work. I unplugged the ethernet leading to my roomate's computer thinking that it doens't like having two computers hooked into it at the same time but the USB hole still won't work. I plugged my laptop into the ethernet hole and it worked right away.
SO- question #1: is there some reason any of you would know that the USB port won't connect my computer to the internet?
Question #2: if I do somehow get the USB hole to work, is it possible to have two computers hooked to the same modem and be on the internet at the same time?

Dartgod
01-09-2005, 11:32 AM
You will have to get a cable/DSL router to share a broadband connection.

angel
01-09-2005, 11:33 AM
You will have to get a cable/DSL router to share a broadband connection.
okay, thanks

Dartgod
01-09-2005, 11:41 AM
This might help...

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network8.htm

Phobia
01-09-2005, 11:42 AM
I have what you need and if you come pick it up, you can have it. I tried to give it to Lzen a couple days ago...

Phobia
01-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Oh - BTW this is Phobia. I do have a Cable modem and I even have cables for you.

I can save you $100+ but I don't deliver.

angel
01-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Oh - BTW this is Phobia. I do have a Cable modem and I even have cables for you.

I can save you $100+ but I don't deliver.
Do you still live in Texas? Or did you move back to KC? I will be in KC next weekend to visit my parents for my birthday.

Phobia
01-09-2005, 01:14 PM
I live in KC.

angel
01-09-2005, 01:19 PM
I live in KC.
If you're serious- I'm totally all about it. I'll come and get the stuff next weekend when I'm in town. PM me with contact information, and I'll totally visit you.

Phobia
01-09-2005, 01:23 PM
816-665-1208

I live in south KC near Noland Rd.

Yeah, the router has just been sitting around collecting dust and I'd rather see somebody I know get some use from it. Bring your laptop so I can show you how to hook everything up.

angel
01-09-2005, 01:33 PM
816-665-1208

I live in south KC near Noland Rd.

Yeah, the router has just been sitting around collecting dust and I'd rather see somebody I know get some use from it. Bring your laptop so I can show you how to hook everything up.
awesome
I'll give you a call sometime Friday when I'm leaving Manhattan

thanks a bunch!