PDA

View Full Version : Who here has a Direct TV DVR?

Deberg_1990
01-09-2005, 12:06 PM
I called and ordered one yesterday. There are coming out to install it tommorow. I was not aware that it required another line run from the dish to the reciever??? If you have one, how satisified are you with it??

Phobia
01-09-2005, 12:07 PM
I don't have it, but I do have TiVo. Now that it is hooked into my network, I'm pretty excited about that thing.

Big Chief Homer
01-09-2005, 12:11 PM
I like it.I dont have the second line yet though.It required a multiswitch and it costs $80.00 at circuit city.

the only problem i have with it is, its slow sometimes to catch up if you flip throught the channels quickly.

good luck.

Deberg_1990
01-09-2005, 12:14 PM
I like it.I dont have the second line yet though.It required a multiswitch and it costs $80.00 at circuit city.

the only problem i have with it is, its slow sometimes to catch up if you flip throught the channels quickly.

good luck.

SO i dont need the 2nd line run????

Baby Lee
01-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Not at all helpful to you, but I'm set to put together my HTPC with my Radeon Al-lin-Wonder 9800, HDTV Wonder, and new copy of Win MCE 2005. PVR possibilities abound with 3 standard tuners and a digital tuner ready to rock.

Big Chief Homer
01-09-2005, 12:20 PM
no,the second line is if you want to watch one channel and record another.

you can still watch,record,rewind,FF and all the other good stuff.you just cant watch one channel and record another.

I bought mine for 49.99 at circuit city after someone here posted they were one sale.(sorry id love to give credit but i cant remember who it was)

i just disconnected my old reciever and connected the dvr to the old line.and you have to call them.

Herzig
01-09-2005, 12:23 PM
SO i dont need the 2nd line run????

You do if you want to take full advantage of it to be able to record 2 channels at once and watch something you have recorded all at one time. I would do it if I were you. I love mine, but like a previous poster, the only drawback is that guide is slow to catch up if you are scrolling through the guide. Hey, you can't have everything right?

Deberg_1990
01-09-2005, 12:27 PM
You do if you want to take full advantage of it to be able to record 2 channels at once and watch something you have recorded all at one time. I would do it if I were you. I love mine, but like a previous poster, the only drawback is that guide is slow to catch up if you are scrolling through the guide. Hey, you can't have everything right?

ah..ok.....i get ya now. Yea, i will want the 2nd line then.

Bob Dole
01-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Bob Dole has had it for over a year and can't imagine being without it.

Mr. Laz
01-09-2005, 12:35 PM
i have it

it tooks some time to get used to it... i've had ReplayTv before

the interface for it is slow, and they didn't write the code very "use friendly"

there are waaaay too many steps to do stuff ie 5 clicks when 2 would really suffice.

if you have the option about which DVR unit you can get, i would suggest looking into a upgrade.

i got the cheap one and i think a better one would be worth.

i dont like how it has to upload crap every friggin day either.

all that said, it's a good thing and i like it ... it's pretty reliable and i really like the Season Pass options. :thumb:

i added a 120 gig hard drive to it ... made a HUGE difference, 40 gigs just isn't enough.

Deberg_1990
01-09-2005, 12:43 PM
i have it

the interface for it is slow, and they didn't write the code very "use friendly"

there are waaaay too many steps to do stuff ie 5 clicks when 2 would really suffice.

if you have the option about which DVR unit you can get, i would suggest looking into a upgrade.

all that said, it's a good thing and i like it ... it's pretty reliable and i really like the Season Pass options. :thumb:

i added a 120 gig hard drive to it ... made a HUGE difference, 40 gigs just isn't enough.

Hmmmm.....i hope its not too complicated for my wife to use?? If i dont like it I guess ill just get rid of it later on.

Herzig
01-09-2005, 12:47 PM
i have it

I bought an RCA TiVo at CC that has an 80 hr harddrive for $99. Best Buy has it too. I would recommend the service plan with any DVR as they are not very reliable(it's one the few things I would get one for). I have been through 3 TiVo's.

I bought my girlfriend a DVR for a year from Cox Cable and it blows compared to TiVo. I don't like it near as much, but that's probably because I'm used to TiVo.

Skip Towne
01-09-2005, 12:52 PM

good luck.
I've got a 6X8 multiswitch Model# SAM-6802. Sells for $100 at CC. I'd take $50 for it.

Deberg_1990
01-09-2005, 12:54 PM
I've got a 6X8 multiswitch Model# SAM-6802. Sells for $100 at CC. I'd take $50 for it.

They never mentioned anything about a $100 switch when i called for the service yesterday?????

2bikemike
01-09-2005, 12:58 PM
I have a Cox DVR and that thing rocks. I don't know why I waited so long to get it. I highly recommend DVR's to everybody.

Herzig
01-09-2005, 12:59 PM
They never mentioned anything about a $100 switch when i called for the service yesterday?????

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/catOid/-12885/Ntk/All/Ntt/multiswitch/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

KCWolfman
01-09-2005, 01:20 PM
What are the advantages of having a DVR system directly tied to your satellite/cable company as opposed to your own system like TIVO? With a 300.00 fee you get free recording for life. Seems to me that is the best route to go.

Herzig
01-09-2005, 01:25 PM
What are the advantages of having a DVR system directly tied to your satellite/cable company as opposed to your own system like TIVO? With a 300.00 fee you get free recording for life. Seems to me that is the best route to go.

The only drawback to the $300 fee is that is only for the life of the TiVo from what I understand. If it dies, you're screwed.

Phobia
01-09-2005, 01:30 PM
The only drawback to the $300 fee is that is only for the life of the TiVo from what I understand. If it dies, you're screwed.

Unless you are resourceful. The lifetime subscription (only $199 when I bought it) is transferable to another TiVo box only under warranty replacement. TiVo can't possibly track warranty replacement through all the various manufacturers they've had OEMing boxes for them. I've transferred mine twice. This one will likely be the last time because we now have a TiVo branded box and they'll have control of all that paperwork now.

KCWolfman
01-09-2005, 01:38 PM
What is the average life of a TIVO system?

DTLB58
01-09-2005, 01:41 PM
It was just installed at my mom's house yesterday. I went out to watch the tech and figure out how to run it so I could explain it to my mom. One thing that suprised me was the tech had no idea how to run the thing. He said I just install them, that's what the book is for. :rolleyes:

Having said that, I spent a couple of hours with it and found it was much more simple to figure out playing with the remote and just selecting different options and menus than reading that damn book.

By the time I left, I felt very confident that I could explain how to run it to her over the phone if she calls with a question, very easy to figure out.

A side note to this: The reason she got the DVR was because since DIRECTV installed her local channels she cannot use her roof anntena. She still wanted that so when she was taping off satellite she could watch local channels with the roof top. But her reciever interfers with the antenna, as soon as you shut the receiver off the local channels come in again with the roof top anntena. The TIVIO obviously solves that probably because she can now watch and tape at the same time but just wondering if anyone else has had problems with their antenna after local channels were installed?

Herzig
01-09-2005, 01:41 PM
What is the average life of a TIVO system?

I'm on my 3rd in 18 months. I bought the service plan on the last one.

KCWolfman
01-09-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm on my 3rd in 18 months. I bought the service plan on the last one.
I think I will stick with my VCR until they are more stable.

Deberg_1990
01-09-2005, 01:43 PM
It One thing that suprised me was the tech had no idea how to run the thing. He said I just install them, that's what the book is for. :rolleyes:

Wow, what wonderful customer service!

Herzig
01-09-2005, 01:50 PM

Good thing about it was...I got the 1st one for 99 and it lasted 14 months. I bought another and it fried in 3 days so I was able to trade it in for another that has been fine over the last 3 months. DirecTV credited $50 to my account for the 1st one only lasting 14 months and my trouble.

Despite all of that, having TiVo is worth it.

Deberg_1990
01-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Good thing about it was...I got the 1st one for 99 and it lasted 14 months. I bought another and it fried in 3 days so I was able to trade it in for another that has been fine over the last 3 months. DirecTV credited $50 to my account for the 1st one only lasting 14 months and my trouble.

wow, i had no idea these things were so unreliable?? It doesnt sound too encouraging? Oh well, ill give it a shot for awhile.

KCWolfman
01-09-2005, 01:54 PM

My VCR has never broke down, and I bought it in '92 for about 120.00.

The quality may not be as good, but I think I came out better. I don't mind waiting a few more years.

Herzig
01-09-2005, 02:37 PM
wow, i had no idea these things were so unreliable?? It doesnt sound too encouraging? Oh well, ill give it a shot for awhile.

Well, I would guess it has something to do with it being on all the time. Also, they have a hard drive like a computer, so I would guess that they have a reliability similar to a computer. What was weird about the whole deal was that it fried the day after the service tech installed my locals dish, then my replacement fried 3 days after I replaced it. I had him come back out after that, he tinkered with it, and swore it couldn't have been anything he had done. I still think it was though.

Alphaman
01-09-2005, 02:48 PM
I called and ordered one yesterday. There are coming out to install it tommorow. I was not aware that it required another line run from the dish to the reciever??? If you have one, how satisified are you with it??

I love mine. Wouldn't trade it for anything (at least the DVR). If it wasn't for the fact that I can't get the Chiefs without NFL Game Ticket on DirectTV, I would have cable. I'd still have the DVR though.

My problem with DirecTV is that when it rains I often lose my signal.

The Bad Guy
01-09-2005, 03:24 PM

good luck.

Get one off E-bay.

They cost about 1/3rd of that.

Pm me and tell me how many lines you have and I'll tell you what type of multiswitch you need.

I can't imagine having tivo and not using all of it's functions.

Herzig
01-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Get one off E-bay.

Pm me and tell me how many lines you have and I'll tell you what type of multiswitch you need.

Here ya go. Sorry Skip.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=162&item=5155351434&rd=1

Phobia
01-09-2005, 07:39 PM

My first Philips TiVo took a lightning hit and the modem fried. Other than the modem, it worked fine.

My second has worked great for 4 years. Still works great. But the wife wanted to upgrade to Series 2.

Skip Towne
01-09-2005, 07:59 PM
I love mine. Wouldn't trade it for anything (at least the DVR). If it wasn't for the fact that I can't get the Chiefs without NFL Game Ticket on DirectTV, I would have cable. I'd still have the DVR though.

My problem with DirecTV is that when it rains I often lose my signal.
If you lose your signal "often" when it rains, you probably need to adjust your dish for better signal quality. Or you might have partial blockage by trees that is aggravated by rain. I've lost my signal twice in the last 6 months.

Skip Towne
01-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Get one off E-bay.

OK. I have a phase 3 dish and I want to add an additional round dish in order to get the locals from the 72.5 satellite. What type of multiswitch do I need? Oh, yeah, I have 2 Tivo's and 3 standard receivers.

Skip Towne
01-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Here ya go. Sorry Skip.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=162&item=5155351434&rd=1
No need to be sorry, that is nowhere near a 6X8 multiswitch. A 5X8 is essentially a 4X8 with an additional port to handle an off air antenna. A 6X8 will handle two separate dishes like you have to get the locals.

Alphaman
01-09-2005, 08:34 PM
If you lose your signal "often" when it rains, you probably need to adjust your dish for better signal quality. Or you might have partial blockage by trees that is aggravated by rain. I've lost my signal twice in the last 6 months.

Thanks..."Often" is probably the wrong term. I'd say twice in the last 6 months is about right for me as well.

Frosty
01-10-2005, 07:39 AM

I've had mine for more than two years with no problems (other than I need to add a second drive, since mine only has 40G and fills up too fast).

Also, TiVo is about way more than just recording, so a VCR isn't really a fair comparison.

Deberg_1990
01-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Just got it installed today. Pretty sweet!! I got the box, the multiswitch and professional installation all for $79. So far im pretty impressed. Ill be taping "24" tonight and i love the pause,rewind and fast forwarding of live tv. I cant wait to use this thing during sports events.