PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs new starting CB?

shaneo69
01-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Gunther should know Dyson's strengths and weaknesses. I guess he would be up there with Lucas and Baxter as the top UFA CB's...

Salary cap problems could make Dyson's return unlikely

By JIM WYATT
Tennessean Staff Writer

As Andre Dyson picked himself off the ground following his sixth interception of the season in last Sunday's season finale against the Lions, the Titans cornerback did something a lot of fans probably didn't notice.

He pretended to take out a wallet and thumb through cash. He then paused, pretended to lick his fingers, and kept going.

In a few months, Dyson could be doing it for real. And it's probably the biggest reason his days with the Titans are probably over after four seasons.

Dyson said he'd like to remain a Titan, and he'd like to assure everyone he's not all about money.

''I just want to be happy,'' Dyson said. ''I am not greedy, I am not going to try and break the bank. I am just trying to be in a situation that is good for me and my family.''

With their salary cap problems, the Titans probably won't be able to pay Dyson anywhere close to what he's expected to be offered in free agency.

Although Dyson hasn't been a consistent shutdown cornerback over the years, he does have 16 interceptions and he hasn't missed a start since his rookie season.

Dyson knows the Titans have cap issues and isn't sure they really want him anyway.

''I believe in what I am capable of doing, but I can't read anyone else's mind. I don't know what they're thinking,'' Dyson said. ''I have no idea if I'll be back, you never now. It really has nothing to do with me. It depends on what they want to do.

''I just know they have Andre Woolfolk and Tony Beckham, and they can't be backups forever. I'll understand if I don't come back, but it will play out.''

Bowser
01-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Geez, how long are the Titans going to be in cap hell? They have been there for two or three years, haven't they?

*obligatory*
I would love Andre Dyson onthis team. He's better than anything we have now.
*end obligatory*

eazyb81
01-09-2005, 10:19 PM
I would prefer Ken Lucas over Dyson, mainly because of his size advantage. I think he would be a perfect fit for Gunther's physical, bump and run style of play. However, anyone would probably be better then Bartee.

Mr. Kotter
01-09-2005, 10:21 PM
I would prefer Ken Lucas over Dyson, mainly because of his size advantage. I think he would be a perfect fit for Gunther's physical, bump and run style of play. However, anyone would probably be better then Bartee.

I'd like both Lucas and Dyson.
:hmmm:

Mr. Laz
01-09-2005, 10:29 PM
I'd like both Lucas and Dyson.
:hmmm:

we need two ... not just one

Mr. Kotter
01-09-2005, 10:31 PM
we need two ... not just one

My point precisely. A #1 CB, and competition for Warfield that will serve as the nickle.

RealSNR
01-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Remember when we could've drafted Ken Lucas on our own?

TEX
01-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Bottom line is he'll go to whoever pays him the most. All of us would do the same thing.

Digital Takawira
01-10-2005, 05:46 AM
Bottom line is he'll go to whoever pays him the most. All of us would do the same thing.

the way i look at it, you're going to be paid millions of dollars no matter where you play. why would you just go to whoever pays you the most? i would go to a team that i think is close to winning and the DC is familiar with me, i.e. the chiefs.

DaKCMan AP
01-10-2005, 06:36 AM
I'd prefer Gary Baxter over Dyson or Lucas.

KC Jones
01-10-2005, 06:59 AM
My point precisely. A #1 CB, and competition for Warfield that will serve as the nickle.

Then all we would need to do is bring in a safety or two, a MLB, and possibly a DE and a DT. Oh, and they all need to be better than average NFL starters.

:shake: rebuilding this defense will take more than one offseason. :(

Alphaman
01-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Given the Titans cap issues, I'd watch to see what happens with Samari Rolle. He refused to restructure his contract last offseason to help the team, and he's due a $5.5M salary. They could save significantly against the cap by cutting him.

I would have interest in Dyson, but he would be behind Smoot, Lucas, Baxter and Rolle (if he comes available).

Warrior5
01-10-2005, 08:09 AM
I rank Dyson #8 on my personal analysis of FA CBs (out of 9).

Chiefnj
01-10-2005, 08:30 AM
I'm a bit turned off by the guy from the article. The Titans are at the end of a really bad season, the guy makes a pick against another really bad team and the first thing that pops into his mind is "pay me."

shaneo69
01-10-2005, 08:40 AM
I'm a bit turned off by the guy from the article. The Titans are at the end of a really bad season, the guy makes a pick against another really bad team and the first thing that pops into his mind is "pay me."

Well, at least Gunther should know if he's really a "me-first" type of player.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Dyson hasn't been a consistent shutdown cornerback over the years.
:spock:

I know he's better than what we currently have but that scares me a bit.

Chiefnj
01-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Well, at least Gunther should know if he's really a "me-first" type of player.

I don't mind "me first" attitudes if it applies to something that matters, but making a pick in a game between two sub .500 teams and then "counting money" is somewhat pointless.

shaneo69
01-10-2005, 09:32 AM
I don't mind "me first" attitudes if it applies to something that matters, but making a pick in a game between two sub .500 teams and then "counting money" is somewhat pointless.

I agree. Anyway, I don't really think he's big enough for Gunther's liking (Dyson's listed at 183, Smoot at 174, Lucas at 200, and Baxter at 205) and they drafted Woolfolk to upgrade last year, so I'm guessing the Titans defensive coaches weren't real high on him either.