PDA

View Full Version : Didn't the 49ers learn ANYTHING from the Dennis Ericson fiasco?

jAZ
01-09-2005, 11:13 PM
How many times are the 49ers going to recycle shitty NFL coaches who can only be successful college coaches?

Why would ANY NFL team recycle Pete Carroll, no matter how successful he is in college?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1963161

Sunday, January 9, 2005

Trojans, 49ers alumni want Carroll in San Fran

ESPN.com news services
49ers alumni Ronnie Lott and Tim McDonald are among those trying to convince Pete Carroll to leave Southern California and become San Francisco's head coach, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Sunday, citing USC sources.

USC alums Lott and McDonald are acting as intermediaries in an effort to bring Carroll back to San Francisco, where he grew up and once worked as the franchise's defensive coordinator. Lott and McDonald are also attempting to sell 49ers owner John York on the idea of turning over all team operations to Carroll.

Carroll, however, said last Thursday he had no interest in the job.

"I have not been contacted, I don't expect to be contacted and I'm not interested," Carroll said.

A former 49ers assistant and former coach of the New York Jets and New England Patriots, Carroll has guided USC to consecutive national championships.

Others on San Francisco's list of candidates to replace Dennis Erickson include current Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren, a former 49ers offensive coordinator, and Jim Fassel, who coached the Giants to the Super Bowl four years ago.

But there are some intriguing coordinators who have captured York's attention, as well. York met with Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel on Saturday, and the Niners are also to interview Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, son of former San Francisco coach Dick Nolan.

Two potential sleepers are defensive coordinators Jerry Gray of the Buffalo Bills and Tim Lewis of the Giants, according to a league official. The Jets' Donnie Henderson and Titans offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger are also in the mix. Heimerdinger is expected to interview on Monday.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

tk13
01-09-2005, 11:21 PM
I think that basically comes down to learning anything from hiring a high profile college head coach. The only two to actually win anything were Jimmie Johnson and Barry Switzer, and Switzer basically won with the team Jimmie J. built, plus using Jerry Jones' cash to add Deion Sanders.

Taco John
01-09-2005, 11:21 PM
The Dennis Erickson fiasco was less about who their coach was, but more who their owner and GM were. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good Niner bashing...

Rain Man
01-09-2005, 11:25 PM
I swear, being a pro football coach is like being a Senator. No matter how incompetent you are, there's always a job for you.

warpaint99
01-09-2005, 11:45 PM
You give him alot of those USC players and he might turn it around.

Amnorix
01-10-2005, 07:15 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure the book is written on Pete Carroll being a failure at the NFL level.

I could go into SERIOUS detail on this, but I'll keep it very short:

1. He had Bobby Grier running the draft, etc., and they are some of the worst drafts by anybody, ever. Almost none of those draft picks from '97, '98 and '99 is even in football anymore, much less on teh Patriots.

2. Adam Vinatieri missed 2 potential game winning figgies in Carroll's last year. If he makes them, the Pats are 10-6, and in the playoffs, and Carroll doesn't get fired.

Don't get me wrong, I love Belichick. I also think Carroll probably wasn't right for the Patriots at that point in time. But I'm not at all sure that Carroll wouldnt' succeed under different circumstances.

As I said, there's more to discuss here, but I'm short on time today.

Mile High Mania
01-10-2005, 07:19 AM
The two big questions are really...

1- What is the cap hell for 2005 and 2006?

2- Is York really willing to spend the money on players to compete?

If the cap hell the next two years is big, why go there? York also sounds like an owner you don't want to work under. Just from what I've heard.

jAZ
01-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Everything I have heard about Pete Carroll is that he was a push ovear as a HC. And that he was all about teaching and mentoring.

Two things that make for a bad NFL head coach. He is built for success in college.

I sense back to back flops in SF's future.