PDA

View Full Version : San Diego's success a "blip"....

CanadaKC
01-10-2005, 09:43 PM
...according to many NFL pundits...I heard on sattelite radio today. And I totally agree. This team will fall back down to earth HARD next season.
They made the analogy that Brees didn't get serious at all about being the QB the team was hoping for until Rivers was brought in...then he suddenly went on an all-world training regimen to compete. Where was he the last three years? Brees is one of the most overrated stories of the season...and next year will prove it. Combine Brees fall next year with this recent playoff loss....and the sudden reality that this team is made up of a bunch of stiffs besides LT and you got a team NOT making the playoffs next year.

CanadaKC
01-10-2005, 09:44 PM
I put in LT....and Lawrence Taylor came up? :rolleyes:

JimNasium
01-10-2005, 09:46 PM
I put in Lawrence Taylor ....and Lawrence Taylor came up? :rolleyes:
ROFL

Pants
01-10-2005, 09:47 PM
ROFL Type L.T. next time.

Saulbadguy
01-10-2005, 09:48 PM
hahahahha

ZootedGranny
01-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Haha, awesome.

I purposely don't call Tomlinson L.T. because there's only one Lawrence Taylor. Good to see others agree.

Stinger
01-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Haha, awesome.

I purposely don't call Tomlinson L.T. because there's only one Lawrence Taylor. Good to see others agree.

I believe this was Endelts doing

CanadaKC
01-10-2005, 09:56 PM
whoops...now I'm even more confused. LadDainian Tomlinson...I know you know what I meant. Dammit. LOL

Skip Towne
01-10-2005, 10:03 PM
I ain't buying. They've got too much going for them.

2bikemike
01-10-2005, 10:03 PM
San Diego is a pretty young team that should only get better. Thats not to say that next year won't bite them in the ass. IMHO Their O-line is the biggest improvement in Brees development.

Their corners need help along with the D line.

I expect they will compete next year and end up with a pretty good record.

CanadaKC
01-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Their O-line two rookie starters....played way over their heads. Sophomore jinx anyone? :thumb:

Brock
01-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Rivers will be playing next year, for sure. FWIW

tk13
01-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Well, it's hard to imagine they'd get that much worse. Considering they finished first this year they will have to play the Colts and Steelers next year though as their two extra games in the schedule, plus the Pats since the entire division plays the AFCE next year... they don't appear to be on par with any of those teams but if they have as much cap room as everyone says they could do some good things. Then again if they decide it's time to put Rivers in there he might have enough of a learning curve to bring them down to 8-8 like the Bengals this year.

Wallcrawler
01-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Marty should just be a regular season coach.

He can get his teams to the playoffs, but then he just douches it up bigtime once the playoffs begin.

He does the complete opposite of what got his team to where it is.

Marty should coach the regular season, and then go have a coke and a smile, and let someone with a set of balls do the playcalling in the big games.

2bikemike
01-10-2005, 11:12 PM

He can get his teams to the playoffs, but then he just douches it up bigtime once the playoffs begin.

Marty should coach the regular season, and then go have a coke and a smile, and let someone with a set of balls do the playcalling in the big games.

I was saying almost the same thing to the guys at work today. They are all pretty bummed about the loss Saturday. I kept telling them " I told you so" Marty went conservative as he always does.

CanadaKC
01-10-2005, 11:18 PM
I also heard that SD wants to trade Rivers for Miami's 2nd overall pick...
anyone else hear that?

2bikemike
01-10-2005, 11:20 PM
anyone else hear that?

No the only things I have heard around here is that there is no way they can afford to let Rivers go in his 2nd year of his deal too expensive.

They will franchise Brees and keep both for next year. Brees will cost them 9 mil next year. I think this is the most likely scenario.

XXXshogunXXX
01-11-2005, 01:24 AM
i think a blip is the chiefs 2003 season.

Rausch
01-11-2005, 01:26 AM
i think a blip is the chiefs 2003 season.

That's it, next season I kick yer' depressing azz on High Descent! :cuss:

Phobia
01-11-2005, 01:30 AM
That's it, next season I kick yer' depressing azz on High Descent! :cuss:

You guys are still playing that? Wow.

Hammock Parties
01-11-2005, 01:31 AM
Brees will go elsewhere.

Rivers will start, and be a bust.

Game over.

Miles
01-11-2005, 01:33 AM
anyone else hear that?

I have heard some rumors that the cowboys my be going after Rivers as well. Id be curious to see what the cap hit would be if they were to trade him. Seems like it would at least be less than keeping him and Brees but i really have no idea.

Still its a tough call to go with Rivers. The chances of any NFL prospect having the year that Brees had is not good at all.

Taco John
01-11-2005, 03:20 AM
Man there are a lot of wishful thinkers in here.

I think SD will continue to improve their defense, and their passing game will feed off of that excellent running game. I think the blip was last year. I expect that the Chargers will continue to make a strong showing in the AFC West.

Hammock Parties
01-11-2005, 03:23 AM

I think SD will continue to improve their defense, and their passing game will feed off of that excellent running game. I think the blip was last year. I expect that the Chargers will continue to make a strong showing in the AFC West.

Remember, this is Marty we're talking about. Good one year, average the next.

His track record on judging offensive talent, ESPECIALLY QUARTERBACKS is not good.

tk13
01-11-2005, 03:27 AM

The crappy part is they're going to be right with us in trying to improve their secondary quite a bit... their pass defense was not very good at all, and they have more money to spend. So then the anger of Chiefs' fans will probably go from having too much cap space one year to not having enough room under the cap to be able to compete with our own division in signing free agents... :)

Hammock Parties
01-11-2005, 03:30 AM
The crappy part is they're going to be right with us in trying to improve their secondary quite a bit... their pass defense was not very good at all, and they have more money to spend. So then the anger of Chiefs' fans will probably go from having too much cap space one year to not having enough room under the cap to be able to compete with our own division in signing free agents... :)

I think SD's pass defense is better than KC's. It's not top 10, but I think their #31 ranking was inflated due to their awesome run D.

Teams couldn't run so they racked up alot of passing yards because of all the attempts.

Skip Towne
01-11-2005, 07:21 AM

OMG!! I agree with Taco and he's always wrong. Could this mean I'm wrong?

philfree
01-11-2005, 07:22 AM

Don't the Chargers have three young players that they drafted in their scondary? Jammer, Drayton and Sammy Davis should all be ascending players IMO so I doubt they go for a CB in the draft.

PhilFree :arrow:

whoman69
01-11-2005, 07:53 AM

This season he did that because during the regular season he played away from Martyball. In KC it was always Martyball and that style of playing not to lose will not get it done in the playoffs. Marty has absolutely zero killer instinct. He is on the opposite side of the bar as say Mike Martz, who never met a risk he wouldn't take. I don't think that makes Martz a good coach either.

KCTitus
01-11-2005, 08:03 AM
This season he did that because during the regular season he played away from Martyball. In KC it was always Martyball and that style of playing not to lose will not get it done in the playoffs. Marty has absolutely zero killer instinct. He is on the opposite side of the bar as say Mike Martz, who never met a risk he wouldn't take. I don't think that makes Martz a good coach either.

Well, Marty did try that fake punt against Indy in the 95 playoffs...there's taking risk, and then there's just fuggin stupid.

OldTownChief
01-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Lawrence Taylor is a cry baby.

StcChief
01-11-2005, 08:12 AM
They wall fall back down.
Stength of schedule team yet again.

they do have some young talent by need help, like every team.

Isn't competition and cap, parity wonderful.

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Whatever decision Marty makes at QB will definately be the wrong one. Bank on it.

cdcox
01-11-2005, 08:40 AM
I ain't buying. They've got too much going for them.

Don't you mean we've got too much going for us? That is what you insisted in the game thread and when you neg repped me.

ROFL

morphius
01-11-2005, 08:45 AM
They wall fall back down.
Stength of schedule team yet again.

they do have some young talent by need help, like every team.

Isn't competition and cap, parity wonderful.
Strength of schedule is 2 games different then everyone else in the AFC West, and I really don't see the Steelers keep on the run they started this year.

Chiefnj
01-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Until the Chiefs get a defense, the Raiders get a new head coach and the Denvers get a QB the Chargers are looking pretty good in the AFC West for the regular season.

Skip Towne
01-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Don't you mean we've got too much going for us? That is what you insisted in the game thread and when you neg repped me.

ROFL
You must have been really been being an assclown for me to do that.

Rausch
01-11-2005, 08:51 AM
Well, Marty did try that fake punt against Indy in the 95 playoffs...there's taking risk, and then there's just fuggin stupid.

That has got to be the worst call in Marty's history of shat play calling...

HemiEd
01-11-2005, 08:55 AM
That has got to be the worst call in Marty's history of shat play calling...

I think it ranks right up there, but he had many. Usually for being too conservative, hardly ever did they fit the above profile. ROFL

cdcox
01-11-2005, 08:56 AM
You must have been really been being an assclown for me to do that.

Naw, just inferred that you were as promiscuous as a whore.

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Don't the Chargers have three young players that they drafted in their scondary? Jammer, Drayton and Sammy Davis should all be ascending players IMO so I doubt they go for a CB in the draft.

PhilFree :arrow:

Davis is ascending, but he's struggled with injuries. For some reason Jammer just hasn't developed.

And Drayton Florence, Voyager's golden boy, looks about as good as Julian Battle. He just stinks.

Rausch
01-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Davis is ascending, but he's struggled with injuries. For some reason Jammer just hasn't developed.

So far he's been your average starter. Nothing special, nothing horrid.

I think he'll be a good one though. Unfortunately...

Hoover
01-11-2005, 09:12 AM
They will take a huge fall if they go with Rivers IMO

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 09:37 AM
So far he's been your average starter. Nothing special, nothing horrid.

I think he'll be a good one though. Unfortunately...

How long is it going to take?

DaWolf
01-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Even Donnie Edwards was saying that this year they got a lot of bounces going their way. The odds are that when you win in that fashion, the next year you get less bounces going your way, and vice versa (see Chiefs, Kansas City). Next year it'll be much harder as people take them more seriously and gameplan to what they do, specifically trying to take Gates out of the picture. Marty's history here was to have a real successful year (1993, 1995, 1997) and follow them up with poorer years (1994, 1996, 1998) due to getting less bounces and a tougher schedule. We'll see if that holds in SD...

Rausch
01-11-2005, 09:41 AM
How long is it going to take?

Corners seem to take 3 to 4 years to really get rolling. Which is why I want to sign a FA, and not draft a Corner.

And to be honest, he didn't have a bad year, he just didn't have a 1st-round-draft-pick year...

Brock
01-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Drew Brees was voted "Comeback player of the year". Don't you have to have done something in the first place before you can come back and do it again?

Rausch
01-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Drew Brees was voted "Comeback player of the year". Don't you have to have done something in the first place before you can come back and do it again?

Apparently not.

On the other hand, to have that kind of year under Marty, as a QB, is truly impressive...

morphius
01-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Apparently not.

On the other hand, to have that kind of year under Marty, as a QB, is truly impressive...
I don't know, Marty is good at getting one good year out of a QB, just to get everyone's hope up.

bricks
01-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Rivers will be playing next year, for sure. FWIW

Brees makes the probowl, and Rivers is a "green" rookie QB. Yeah I certainly see Rivers starting next year, a "rookie" QB over a guy in Brees who had an outstanding season, was named comeback player of the year, and led his team to the playoffs. It's gonna happen. (sarcasm)

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Corners seem to take 3 to 4 years to really get rolling. Which is why I want to sign a FA, and not draft a Corner.

And to be honest, he didn't have a bad year, he just didn't have a 1st-round-draft-pick year...

Guys drafted that high shouldn't take 3 to 4 years to get rolling.

Duane Starks didn't. Charles Woodson didn't. Neither did Champ Bailey or Chris McAlister. Almost all highly-touted CB's struggle their 1st season, but by their 2nd they're either a stud or a dud.

Jammer is firmly in the 2nd camp. I don't see him getting any better.

Brock
01-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Brees makes the probowl, and Rivers is a "green" rookie QB. Yeah I certainly see Rivers starting next year, a "rookie" QB over a guy in Brees who had an outstanding season, was named comeback player of the year, and led his team to the playoffs. It's gonna happen. (sarcasm)

Would you care to make a bet on that?

Chiefnj
01-11-2005, 09:59 AM
I don't think Chief fans have much room to critique the Chargers after their 2nd string was able to beat our starting unit.

bricks
01-11-2005, 10:00 AM
very few corners come in and play good right away, if they do, it's usually the guys that are drafted in the top 10. I'm not to crazy about drafting a CB either. Unless, we get Rolle. And, even he is no guarantee. I'm interested in seeing how these young CB's in the draft are going to adjust to the NFL, especially now with the new rule. I'd rather draft a DE or LB to be honest. It doesn't seem to be the case, from the looks of it, it seems as if Gunther is willing to head into the direction of drafting a CB. I could be wrong. But, I'm with Rausch I'd rather buy a couple of CB's.

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 10:02 AM
very few corners come in and play good right away, if they do, it's usually the guys that are drafted in the top 10. I'm not to crazy about drafting a CB either. Unless, we get Rolle. And, even he is no guarantee. I'm interested in seeing how these young CB's in the draft are going to adjust to the NFL, especially now with the new rule. I'd rather draft a DE or LB to be honest. It doesn't seem to be the case, from the looks of it, it seems as if Gunther is willing to head into the direction of drafting a CB. I could be wrong. But, I'm with Rausch I'd rather buy a couple of CB's.

Gunther said simply that he wanted a free agent CB and one from the draft. He didn't say anything about the 1st round.

I'm guessing they get 1 or 2 free agent CB's and draft LB in the 1st (if one is there) and then go CB in the 2nd or 3rd...

I would MUCH prefer grabbing a Baxter or Lucas in free agency than drafting a CB in the 1st. They've already gone through their growing pains, but are still very young.

bricks
01-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Would you care to make a bet on that?

no. I don't do that kind of stuff. I just find it odd that Rivers would start over Brees next year, especially since Brees had an outstanding season. I see Rivers as their QB of the future. What makes you say Rivers will start over Brees next year? Is it the fact Brees will demand a huge contract, and SD will elect not to sign him. Or, do you think Marty is just going to screw his QB situation up?

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 10:06 AM
no. I don't do that kind of stuff. I just find it odd that Rivers would start over Brees next year, especially since Brees had an outstanding season. I see Rivers as their QB of the future. What makes you say Rivers will start over Brees next year? Is it the fact Brees will demand a huge contract, and SD will elect not to sign him. Or, do you think Marty is just going to screw his QB situation up?

Rivers is making an awful lot of money to not play...

Soupnazi
01-11-2005, 10:06 AM
They've got a lot of high round drafted talent after being bad for many years. That talent ain't going away any time soon. Part of their success was being in a division with a bunch of very average to bad teams. If the Chiefs improve noticeably on D next year, I'd expect them to remain competitive, but not world beaters for the next couple of years.

Despite Marty's horrific post season record, I'm having trouble believing they'll fall of a cliff next season.

Brock
01-11-2005, 10:07 AM

Brees either will not be there, or if he is, he won't be the starter by the end of the season. He played for shit until his contract year. I'm not fooled. Unfortunately for KC, Rivers will be twice the QB Brees is and soon.

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 10:07 AM
They've got a lot of high round drafted talent after being bad for many years. That talent ain't going away any time soon. Part of their success was being in a division with a bunch of very average to bad teams. If the Chiefs improve noticeably on D next year, I'd expect them to remain competitive, but not world beaters for the next couple of years.

Despite Marty's horrific post season record, I'm having trouble believing they'll fall of a cliff next season.

The same things were said about the Chiefs after the 1995 and 1997 campaigns...

bricks
01-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Gunther said simply that he wanted a free agent CB and one from the draft. He didn't say anything about the 1st round.

I'm guessing they get 1 or 2 free agent CB's and draft LB in the 1st (if one is there) and then go CB in the 2nd or 3rd...

I would MUCH prefer grabbing a Baxter or Lucas in free agency than drafting a CB in the 1st. They've already gone through their growing pains, but are still very young.

I say the heck with Baxter and Lucas. If Ty Law becomes available, we should go after him. If we do draft a CB, 2nd, 3rd round I guess they'd probably be nickel and dime backs. Just goes to show how much McCleon and Bartee stink.
Warfield was solid this year. and deserves a starting spot next season.

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 10:21 AM
I say the heck with Baxter and Lucas. If Ty Law becomes available, we should go after him. If we do draft a CB, 2nd, 3rd round I guess they'd probably be nickel and dime backs. Just goes to show how much McCleon and Bartee stink.
Warfield was solid this year. and deserves a starting spot next season.

Ty Law is older, coming off a season-long injury, and will likely demand to be the highest-paid CB in football.

We have more needs than just one starting CB. Signing Law would be a ridiculous and unnecessary mistake.

Chiefnj
01-11-2005, 10:22 AM

Wasn't strength of schedule more of a factor back then?

bricks
01-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Ty Law is older, coming off a season-long injury, and will likely demand to be the highest-paid CB in football.

We have more needs than just one starting CB. Signing Law would be a ridiculous and unnecessary mistake.

It would be a big cap hit. But, he is arguably a top 5 CB in this league. I know, I know he has injury concerns. But, it doesn't matter, it's football everybody gets hurt, even Holmes, and he is awesome. If he was available, a lot of people would be saying the same thing.

bricks
01-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Ty Law isn't that old. I think he's approaching 30, 31. Hasty played great till he was like 35, 36. Age is a little over-rated.

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 10:27 AM
It would be a big cap hit. But, he is arguably a top 5 CB in this league. I know, I know he has injury concerns. But, it doesn't matter, it's football everybody gets hurt, even Holmes, and he is awesome. If he was available, a lot of people would be saying the same thing.

How much difference is there between an aging top 5 CB and a 4th-year top 10 CB? 2 or 3 TDs a SEASON?

Enough to forego signing a top-tier LB? Because that's likely what the difference in cost will be.

Soupnazi
01-11-2005, 10:29 AM

Yeah, I'm just saying where would the Chargers have been this year if division opponents were good enough to defend their home field? Would they have gotten all the press about how good they were?

Their success was largely fueled by poor opponents within the division. If their divisional foes get better, their record will go back to being mediocre (which is what I think the team really is), and I think they'll remain competitive. Just can't see them falling back to 3-13 or something like that next year.

bricks
01-11-2005, 10:29 AM
How much difference is there between an aging top 5 CB and a 4th-year top 10 CB? 2 or 3 TDs a SEASON?

Enough to forego signing a top-tier LB? Because that's likely what the difference in cost will be.

yeah you gotta point :thumb:

Soupnazi
01-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Ty Law isn't that old. I think he's approaching 30, 31. Hasty played great till he was like 35, 36. Age is a little over-rated.

Hasty also didn't play in a league where rubbing jerseys with a wideout got you a pass interference penalty.

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 10:33 AM

Age may be overrated when you're talking about athletic ability, but not when you're talking about contracts...

Ty Law will be 31 in about a month. Do you think he's worth Champ Bailey money? What happens if his skills diminish? Do you want the highest-paid CB in the league lining up at nickel?

Baxter is 25. It's much easier to fit a guy like that under the cap, because you can sign him safely to a much longer deal.

bricks
01-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Age may be overrated when you're talking about athletic ability, but not when you're talking about contracts...

Ty Law will be 31 in about a month. Do you think he's worth Champ Bailey money? What happens if his skills diminish? Do you want the highest-paid CB in the league lining up at nickel?

Baxter is 25. It's much easier to fit a guy like that under the cap, because you can sign him safely to a much longer deal.

Knowing Carl, he'll probably buy into what your saying.

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Knowing Carl, he'll probably buy into what your saying.

I imagine he probably would. And he'd be right. :thumb:

Kclee
01-11-2005, 11:11 AM

John Kitna laughs in your face at this. Didn't Kitna win comeback player of the year too?

bricks
01-11-2005, 11:14 AM
John Kitna laughs in your face at this. Didn't Kitna win comeback player of the year too?

Yeah he did. But, it was a coaching decision to start Palmer instead of Kitna. Palmer is the 1st overall pick after all. I still think Kitna is the better QB.

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Yeah he did. But, it was a coaching decision to start Palmer instead of Kitna. Palmer is the 1st overall pick after all. I still think Kitna is the better QB.

Rivers was the 5th pick overall...

Point, KCLee!

Cannibal
01-11-2005, 12:37 PM
The Chargers will compete for the division title IMO.

They might not win it, but they'll make a push for it.

They also have 2 1st round draft picks this year. One of them is from the Giants in the trade for Eli Manning.

2bikemike
01-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Guys drafted that high shouldn't take 3 to 4 years to get rolling.

Duane Starks didn't. Charles Woodson didn't. Neither did Champ Bailey or Chris McAlister. Almost all highly-touted CB's struggle their 1st season, but by their 2nd they're either a stud or a dud.

Jammer is firmly in the 2nd camp. I don't see him getting any better.

There are some thoughts to making Jammer a Safety. At least I think that is what I heard.

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 04:16 PM
There are some thoughts to making Jammer a Safety. At least I think that is what I heard.

Wow.

If true, that would make him a #1 bust.

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 04:18 PM
On 2nd thought, maybe I know what you're talking about.

Are you sure you aren't confusing Jammer with Sammy Davis (the other CB they drafted that hasn't panned out)? I think they were talking about moving him to safety at one time...

carlos3652
01-11-2005, 05:06 PM

Rivers was traded for Chargers #1 overall Eli Manning...

Wow... I think Brees will be done by the 5th or 6th game next year... see Bengals - Kitna/Palmer and NY Giants - Warner/Manning

I see the Chargers having an ok year, not making the playoffs. (8-8;7-9)

Rivers looked like crap vs the Chiefs horrendous _efense. He was very nervous. If it was any other defense they would have ate him up... I think he is SD's QB of the future and I see him doing very well in 2006.

I see Brees going to Arizona/Dallas/SF/Miami or Baltimore... and dont forget about Doug Floutie... if he doesnt retire in 2005 he might be SD's back up... he showed he was still able to play...

Ebolapox
01-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Lawrence Taylor is a cry baby.

ROFL...no, he was a coke-head

-EB-

chileanbolt
01-11-2005, 05:46 PM
I believe we have finally made it now. The AFC west is talking about the chargers. If you werent so biased this topic wouldnt even have been started. But I love it.

Brees was only in his fourth season. Everyone here knows a QB doesnt just become good there first year (normally).

He is about to turn 26 this saturday, we have a chit load of cap space this offseason and the only player they have been saying will leave is wilson which we are glad is gone.

We are young as hell and we were a field goal away from playing the steelers. Brees will come back witht he tag.

You guys keep thinking we will drop, because if you were a football fan in general you would know better than that

HemiEd
01-11-2005, 05:50 PM
I believe we have finally made it now. The AFC west is talking about the chargers. If you werent so biased this topic wouldnt even have been started. But I love it.

Brees was only in his fourth season. Everyone here knows a QB doesnt just become good there first year (normally).

He is about to turn 26 this saturday, we have a chit load of cap space this offseason and the only player they have been saying will leave is wilson which we are glad is gone.

We are young as hell and we were a field goal away from playing the steelers. Brees will come back witht he tag.

You guys keep thinking we will drop, because if you were a football fan in general you would know better than that

With Marty you will always be within a field goal or a field goal away depending on if you look at the glass half full or half empty.
The Chargers are being talked about because they have made their once a decade blip. When it comes to the AFC West, the Chargers are like kissing your sister. The real fun comes between the rest. Good luck with Marty. :p

chileanbolt
01-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Your right about us making blips between long periods of time. But if you look at our team, you cant sit there and tell me we are going to fall off next year.

Unless your truely set on just saying that because you dont like my team. I assume you know football, so i'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Before Marty you guys were the worse team in the divison, then you started to win. Now he has done the same for us. See the pattern.

I know what he has done in the playoffs and yea it doesnt make me feel real good about our playoff chances in the future, but to say we are just a one hit wonder is just plain ignorant

Calcountry
01-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Your right about us making blips between long periods of time. But if you look at our team, you cant sit there and tell me we are going to fall off next year.

Unless your truely set on just saying that because you dont like my team. I assume you know football, so i'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Before Marty you guys were the worse team in the divison, then you started to win. Now he has done the same for us. See the pattern.

I know what he has done in the playoffs and yea it doesnt make me feel real good about our playoff chances in the future, but to say we are just a one hit wonder is just plain ignorant
Hey ole buddy, hows it going.

What did I tell you about Marty? How did you like the play calling when they were in FG range? Then did you see how the Jets attacked on teh next drive, and got it down there, good and down there? As soon as phuggin Marty gets anywhere near a playoff win he shits his pants and gets scared, afraid, and can't make the big calls. He is snake bitten.

Don't fall for the false taste of success after a lot of dismal seasons. You know, the we are young and going to get better false sense of security. You more likely will fall back to the shithole you crawled out of last year. THAT , is Martyball. As us Chiefs fans know all to well. :shake:

Congratulations on the one and done, you guys had a great, and satisfying year, you should be pround of it.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-11-2005, 06:48 PM
<A name=211522>Chargers | Jammer Not Moving to Safety - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:59:57 -0800San Diego Chargers (http://www.kffl.com/team/31/nfl) head coach Marty Schottenheimer (http://www.kffl.com/player/1980/nfl) said he has not talked to defensive coordinator Wade Phillips (http://www.kffl.com/player/8288/nfl) about possibly moving CB Quentin Jammer (http://www.kffl.com/player/1619/nfl) to safety. He said he feels Jammer has made progress at the cornerback position during the season.

2bikemike
01-11-2005, 06:49 PM
On 2nd thought, maybe I know what you're talking about.

Are you sure you aren't confusing Jammer with Sammy Davis (the other CB they drafted that hasn't panned out)? I think they were talking about moving him to safety at one time...

Could be I wasn't really paying close attention. I know the topic was the secondary and moving somebody to safety next year.

2bikemike
01-11-2005, 06:49 PM
<A name=211522>Chargers | Jammer Not Moving to Safety - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:59:57 -0800San Diego Chargers (http://www.kffl.com/team/31/nfl) head coach Marty Schottenheimer (http://www.kffl.com/player/1980/nfl) said he has not talked to defensive coordinator Wade Phillips (http://www.kffl.com/player/8288/nfl) about possibly moving CB Quentin Jammer (http://www.kffl.com/player/1619/nfl) to safety. He said he feels Jammer has made progress at the cornerback position during the season.

Well I guess I should have waited about 3 seconds before making my post. :banghead:

BreesLightning
01-11-2005, 06:50 PM
I don't think Chief fans have much room to critique the Chargers after their 2nd string was able to beat our starting unit.

You guys should read this again.........

BreesLightning
01-11-2005, 06:51 PM

and again........

Wile_E_Coyote
01-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Marty

Calcountry
01-11-2005, 06:56 PM
and again........
I just am pissin on Marty, thats all.

carlos3652
01-11-2005, 07:20 PM
I didnt say the Chargers were going to fall of a cliff, but as I remember correctly everyone was asking for Marty and Brees' head before this season.

Now the chargers are in a wierd situation, they got Rivers (paid him very good money) and Brees (who is worth 9 mill next season, if Doug Floutie comes back for 2005 you are going to have cap issues unless they tag Brees... One of these guys will not be here in 2006, and my guess is, that Rivers is the future and that Brees will be traded at the end of 2005 because you dont want an expensive back up...

Now knowing what Marty does (see Chiefs QB's - Grpuke/Gannon) I say he makes Brees the QB of choice because he had a great season and trades off Rivers. Then we will see Rivers in 3 years leading his team to the playoffs (I want to say Dallas will get him). While Brees will not get it done as long as he is with Marty...

IMHO

Calcountry
01-11-2005, 07:26 PM
I didnt say the Chargers were going to fall of a cliff, but as I remember correctly everyone was asking for Marty and Brees' head before this season.

Now the chargers are in a wierd situation, they got Rivers (paid him very good money) and Brees (who is worth 9 mill next season, if Doug Floutie comes back for 2005 you are going to have cap issues unless they tag Brees... One of these guys will not be here in 2006, and my guess is, that Rivers is the future and that Brees will be traded at the end of 2005 because you dont want an expensive back up...

Now knowing what Marty does (see Chiefs QB's - Grpuke/Gannon) I say he makes Brees the QB of choice because he had a great season and trades off Rivers. Then we will see Rivers in 3 years leading his team to the playoffs (I want to say Dallas will get him). While Brees will not get it done as long as he is with Marty...

IMHO
Yeah, I remember Marty yanking Brees in the middle of a meaningless game last year V Pittsburgh.

He WILL fug your QB's up man. What you all have to do is fuggin get rid of the dude, Marty, before its too late.

CanadaKC
01-11-2005, 08:10 PM
I'll bet Rivers starts next season too. Brees will be gone IMO...cause there's no dead cap money with him cause he's a FA. You mentioned Palmer started over Kitna the next season...alos look at what happened in NY...where the Gianst start 5-1....then throw Eli in there...and ...POOF...season over. That was priceless.

BreesLightning
01-11-2005, 08:18 PM

IMHO

You guys act like Marty is the GM of this team. AJ Smith will make the decision on who stays and who goes NOT marty. Enjoy Carl Peterson for another season....

BreesLightning
01-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Gianst start 5-1....then throw Eli in there...and ...POOF...season over. That was priceless.

Yes, thank you Eli for the 12th pick in the draft......

Mile High Mania
01-11-2005, 08:23 PM
I haven't read many of the posts... but, it's rare that you go from a decade of medicority to kicking ass for several straight seasons.

They have a solid young team, but will face a 1st place schedule and likely fall down to the 10 win area. I doubt they're headed back to 7-8 wins, but thoughts of repeating 12 wins shouldn't be dancing in their heads.

Straight, No Chaser
01-11-2005, 10:11 PM
I...

Yea, what you said. Rivers is gone. I can't help but wonder if Brees isn't one of those players who, once in a contract year, seems to get their act together and play harder. Interesting to see what he gets (memo to GM: go heavy on the incentives).

Too bad the Bolts spoiled that great run by taking a crap against the Jets (at home). Very disappointing performance. Sell out crowd and all. Ah well, it must have been fun while it lasted. You'll get the bandwagon jumpers up in Carson but the way I figure it you're better off investing in a new surf board than season tickets.

---->

DaWolf
01-12-2005, 03:35 AM

Dude the league is filled with teams that have one good year and they look like they are primed to make a run and then they follow it up with a crap year. There were plenty of teams from last year that looked great that stunk it up this year (see Chiefs, Kansas City; Cowboys, Dallas; Panthers, Carolina). Just because a team LOOKS like they are in great shape doesn't make it so. Again, we were under the same impression with the Chiefs after our 1993, 1995, and 1997 seasons, which Marty always followed up with a disappointing season. So there is no guaruntee that you won't fall off next year. It's quite possible that you guys will be excellent once again. It's also possible that teams will adjust, focus on obtaining personnel and making schemes to slow you down, and play better in general while you guys don't have the same chemistry and get the same bounces and come back to the pack. So there's nothing ignorant about it. You guys could be either a very good team or a one hit wonder. In today's NFL, you can't ever be sure. Hell, maybe Arizona wins the Super bowl next year. Who knows?

tk13
01-12-2005, 03:51 AM
Dude the league is filled with teams that have one good year and they look like they are primed to make a run and then they follow it up with a crap year. There were plenty of teams from last year that looked great that stunk it up this year (see Chiefs, Kansas City; Cowboys, Dallas; Panthers, Carolina). Just because a team LOOKS like they are in great shape doesn't make it so. Again, we were under the same impression with the Chiefs after our 1993, 1995, and 1997 seasons, which Marty always followed up with a disappointing season. So there is no guaruntee that you won't fall off next year. It's quite possible that you guys will be excellent once again. It's also possible that teams will adjust, focus on obtaining personnel and making schemes to slow you down, and play better in general while you guys don't have the same chemistry and get the same bounces and come back to the pack. So there's nothing ignorant about it. You guys could be either a very good team or a one hit wonder. In today's NFL, you can't ever be sure. Hell, maybe Arizona wins the Super bowl next year. Who knows?
That's a good point, it's a far different thing going from being the hunter to the hunted. The Chargers are the hunted now... Teams didn't have to worry about adjusting to the Chargers before, they were the hunters. Not that all personnel moves are solely based on what somebody else has done... but you look at our division, and last offseason Denver went out and loaded up on defense to keep up with the high powered offenses like the Colts and Chiefs, and in response to that I really think instead of adding one big name/high draft pick WR to improve the offense, we went the route of adding a quick, pass-catching TE and smaller speedy WR through the draft, so instead of just adding one big guy that Champ could cover all day, teams that looked good on defense like the Broncos would have to cover 3 RB's, 1 FB, 3 TE's, and 5 WR's.... now the Chargers are on top with their offense and solid 3-4 front seven...and at the least everybody will be gunning for them and be more prepared to give them their A game.

Plus, it doesn't hurt that the two games that are different in our schedules has us playing Cincy and Houston and has the Bolts playing Indianapolis and Pittsburgh.... not that you know what's going to happen from year to year, but both of those teams have been so good this year that even if they regress some they'll still be very tough to beat....

Hammock Parties
01-12-2005, 04:03 AM
where the Gianst start 5-1....then throw Eli in there...and ...POOF...season over. That was priceless.

Actually the Giants were 5-4 and failing fast with Warner when Eli was brought in to start.

Kraut
01-12-2005, 05:20 AM
Yeah, they are a blip. Brees will be gone in two years. From what I heard the Bolts will sign Brees at the end of the year and label him as franchise. They will TRY to make a run next year and then dump Brees off at the end of next year and try to get 2 first round picks in return for him. The organization feels that Rivers has much more upside then Brees in the long run.

Gaz
01-12-2005, 06:52 AM
They are not a blip. They have some very good talent and a couple of 1st Rounders this season. Marty will have them contending again for the AFC West crown.

xoxo~
Gaz
Considers it misguided to dismiss the Chargers.

Skip Towne
01-12-2005, 07:38 AM
They are not a blip. They have some very good talent and a couple of 1st Rounders this season. Marty will have them contending again for the AFC West crown.

xoxo~
Gaz
Considers it misguided to dismiss the Chargers.

Me too. They will be a pain in our butt for as long as Marty wants them to be.

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 08:01 AM
I think SD will be a consistent pain, depending on how they manager their own FAs. The Brees/Rivers scenario will be interesting ... potentially a ton of cash tied up there.

What if they franchise Brees and some team does offer their #1s.. I dunno.

I don't think we're staring at a potential Patriots team here, but i think the AFCW is looking at a 3-dog fight for the next few years. Hell, who knows what OAK will do, could be a revival of the division over the next half decade.

htismaqe
01-12-2005, 09:45 AM

Excellent post.

I actually feel sorry for the Charger fans posting on this thread.

They sound EXACTLY like we did about 1994-1996...

KCTitus
01-12-2005, 09:50 AM
Excellent post.

I actually feel sorry for the Charger fans posting on this thread.

They sound EXACTLY like we did about 1994-1996...

Dont forget 1998...even Whitlock was singing the 16-0 tune.

carlos3652
01-12-2005, 11:34 AM
You guys act like Marty is the GM of this team. AJ Smith will make the decision on who stays and who goes NOT marty. Enjoy Carl Peterson for another season....

But Marty will input on which person he wants to lead the 2005 offense, all the players have already said they want to play for Brees next season...

Marty wasnt the GM here either, Grpuke was his man so he stuck by him, even though Gannon was probably the better decision. Carl stood by Marty... and I think Smith with stick with Marty's decision as well... or get rid of Marty... if he doesnt why did he bring him in?

KCTitus
01-12-2005, 12:05 PM

Part of the problems that led to Marty leaving KC was his desire to have more personnel decisions. Lamar gave it to him and Carl accepted the decision, Marty proceeded to build one of the worst locker rooms ever assembled in KC, the 'Monday Night Meltdown' was the result. Shortly thereafter, Marty has 'retired/resigned' and on ESPN.

Later, Marty goes to Washington *snicker*, and is given full control of personnel as well as HC, we all know how well that turned out with Snyder buying out his contract because Marty wouldnt acquiesce to a GM.

It's only a matter of time....or you can chose not to believe me and continue to have your still beating heart ripped from your chest annually. It's your choice.

Brock
01-12-2005, 12:19 PM

You're going to have to learn the hard way, just like Chiefs fans did. Sorry about that.

OldTownChief
01-12-2005, 01:32 PM
What if they franchise Brees

Wouldn't they still have to pay the top 5 QB's average if they tag him? Thats got to be a pretty big hunk of salary cap.

htismaqe
01-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Wouldn't they still have to pay the top 5 QB's average if they tag him? Thats got to be a pretty big hunk of salary cap.

$9M.

OldTownChief
01-12-2005, 01:37 PM
$9M.

What kind of contract did Rivers get?

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 01:37 PM
I don't know what their cap situation is, but Gates is also a FA and he'll command top freaking dollar.

So, can they tie up a ton of cash at QB and TE, while addressing questions at receiver, secondary and depth all around?

htismaqe
01-12-2005, 01:40 PM
What kind of contract did Rivers get?

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7607989

The San Diego Chargers have agreed to a six-year deal with quarterback Philip Rivers, their first-round pick this past April, ending a 23-day holdout.

The contract will pay Rivers $40.5 million, including a $14.25 million signing bonus. He can earn $10 million more in incentives.

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 01:44 PM
So, Rivers will likely have a $6M cap number ... with the bonus spread out and the base. I'm sure a bulk is back end loaded.

Brees will be another $3-5M once you spread out a bonus and then the base, unless they REALLY backload it.

Roughly $10M maybe tied up at QB. That's a lot - especially for a Marty offense.

htismaqe
01-12-2005, 01:46 PM
I don't know what their cap situation is, but Gates is also a FA and he'll command top freaking dollar.

So, can they tie up a ton of cash at QB and TE, while addressing questions at receiver, secondary and depth all around?

San Diego reportedly has $21M under the cap.

Assume that they tag Brees - now they have $12M.

Gates could realistically get a contract similar to Tony G's, which counts roughly $2M against the cap.

They would still have $10M. Of course, they still have an issue at QB. Rivers is making way too much money to sit on the bench.

OldTownChief
01-12-2005, 01:48 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7607989

The San Diego Chargers have agreed to a six-year deal with quarterback Philip Rivers, their first-round pick this past April, ending a 23-day holdout.

The contract will pay Rivers $40.5 million, including a $14.25 million signing bonus. He can earn $10 million more in incentives.

Thanks ht, Thats a lot of money to keep two QB's but they wont have a choice. Funny thing is they also can't afford to put Rivers on the field depending what the incentives are. If they let Brees go there's a good chance they are sunk for next season so a trade is out of the question.

htismaqe
01-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Thanks ht, Thats a lot of money to keep two QB's but they wont have a choice. Funny thing is they also can't afford to put Rivers on the field depending what the incentives are. If they let Brees go there's a good chance they are sunk for next season so a trade is out of the question.

I honestly think the Chargers will tag Brees in hopes they can get 2 1st-rounders out of him.

chileanbolt
01-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Look im not saying we are going to be flying high for the next five years im saying that I dont think this year is just a blip. The QB situation wont be a real situation till next year because we will tag him and gates is a restricted free agent not a unrestricted. We have 21 of 22 starters coming back. KC didnt change a bad defense and thats why it didnt work this year. We have cap room. We have 2 first rounders. We play the NFC east next year.

We have a tough schedule but we also play some weak teams. No im not saying yea we are going to win freagin 30 games next year and going to teh superbowl. But the thread did say this was a blip and I know you guys have that opinion because of experience. Take yourselves out of your own team and look at it as a whole. Gates and Brees are the only real starters we have to resign and we have the room. Hell Dallas was asking for rivers so that can be another first rounder.

All im saying is that dont compare us to your team from last year because it isnt the same situation.

htismaqe
01-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Look im not saying we are going to be flying high for the next five years im saying that I dont think this year is just a blip. The QB situation wont be a real situation till next year because we will tag him and gates is a restricted free agent not a unrestricted. We have 21 of 22 starters coming back. KC didnt change a bad defense and thats why it didnt work this year. We have cap room. We have 2 first rounders. We play the NFC east next year.

We have a tough schedule but we also play some weak teams. No im not saying yea we are going to win freagin 30 games next year and going to teh superbowl. But the thread did say this was a blip and I know you guys have that opinion because of experience. Take yourselves out of your own team and look at it as a whole. Gates and Brees are the only real starters we have to resign and we have the room. Hell Dallas was asking for rivers so that can be another first rounder.

All im saying is that dont compare us to your team from last year because it isnt the same situation.

Who was comparing your team to the 2003 Chiefs? You're misinformed.

We were comparing your team to the 95/97 Chiefs. And with that being the case, it IS the same situation.

chileanbolt
01-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Great just keep thinking that we will fall. I dont agree because of plain facts. If you knew our team no one would be making these statements. you obviously dont know the team you just know whose on paper. Goodluck next year

Kclee
01-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Great just keep thinking that we will fall. I dont agree because of plain facts. If you knew our team no one would be making these statements. you obviously dont know the team you just know whose on paper. Goodluck next year

And what Facts are those? Do you know for a fact that Rivers won't be starting? Or if he will be any good? Do you know for a fact that Tomlinson won't break his leg in preseason.

htismaqe
01-12-2005, 02:42 PM

Paper? Are you really that dense? YOU are the one basing their argument on the team as it is "on paper". We're the ones telling you that sometimes things don't always work out because a team looks good "on paper".

The 1998 Chiefs looked GREAT on paper - that's why everybody and their dog was putting them on their NFL preview cover and picking them to win the Super Bowl.

Injuries happen. Chemistry breaks down. All kinds of intangible things can happen. And with Marty Schottenheimer as your coach, you can almost guarantee that some of those unexpected things WILL happen.

You just evidently haven't had enough time for it to sink in yet.

Spott
01-12-2005, 02:59 PM
I think the Chargers will be competitive just like we were when we had Marty. Marty will always have a competitive team that will be in contention for the playoffs. The Chargers have a good nucleus of talent coming back, so they should be tough for a while. Unfortunately for them, they will be forever doomed in the playoffs until they get another coach.

darkchief
01-12-2005, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Brees in a few years.

Straight, No Chaser
01-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Paper? Are you really that dense? YOU are the one basing their argument on the team as it is "on paper". We're the ones telling you that sometimes things don't always work out because a team looks good "on paper".

The 1998 Chiefs looked GREAT on paper - that's why everybody and their dog was putting them on their NFL preview cover and picking them to win the Super Bowl.

Injuries happen. Chemistry breaks down. All kinds of intangible things can happen. And with Marty Schottenheimer as your coach, you can almost guarantee that some of those unexpected things WILL happen.

You just evidently haven't had enough time for it to sink in yet.

The "intangibles" will be dealt out: injuries, schedule, loss of underdog status, free agency, Marty rising to the level of his incompetency, and others. However, with the young talent on the D side of the ball coupled with an avoidance of what befell Marty in KC (greed, poor decision making, player behavior), the Bolts should be competitive again. They will still have problems with KC, The Donks, and probably the Raiders. Hiring Marty was a good decision and he will bring that team some respectability if not a playoff win.

--->

Hammock Parties
01-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Who was comparing your team to the 2003 Chiefs? You're misinformed.

We were comparing your team to the 95/97 Chiefs. And with that being the case, it IS the same situation.

Do the Chargers have players with low moral fiber? Outisde of Marty, do they have an incompetent coaching staff? A spotty GM?

I don't see any of the things in SD that caused the downfall in KC.

Course if Marty starts bangin' Fish Taco Hut waitresses, who knows.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-12-2005, 03:43 PM
did he bring in Boston? McCardell was a malcontent in Tampa...some ole Marty

Hammock Parties
01-12-2005, 03:45 PM
did he bring in Boston? McCardell was a malcontent in Tampa...some ole Marty

Yeah and he got RID of Boston poste-haste. McCardell isn't really a cancer.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-12-2005, 03:47 PM
He will pick up the disgruntled CB lush from the Raiders...just wait