PDA

View Full Version : NFBT: Attention All You Mac Heads

The Rick
01-11-2005, 09:57 AM
What do you think Steve Jobs is going to announce today?

The rumors have included a sub-$500, headless Mac (no monitor) along with a new Apple Office Suite to compete with Microsoft Office and a flash-based iPod.

I haven't made the switch to Macs yet (I've wanted to for a while) but love my iPod and a sub-$500 Mac would probably be enough for me to justify the cost of making the switch.

Rausch
01-11-2005, 10:00 AM
I don't see it happening...

Part of Apple's luster is being "better" than the competition, and lower prices will signal a drop in quality to the faithful.

Announcing an economy-priced Mac would drop their stock...

redfan
01-11-2005, 10:40 AM
I wanted to get a mac, but I went for a bang/buck Dell. Hopefully, my next computer will be a mac. I really like 'em, and I'm pretty much a windows guy.

They're just real dam proud about their machines.

Straight, No Chaser
01-11-2005, 11:02 AM
What do you think Steve Jobs is going to announce today?

Given bill spent last week pimping his version of the iPod, I suspect Jobs will unveil something that Microsoft will be hacking in, say, 18 months or so.

Realistically, I hope it's a less expensive but higher quality LCD display, or some hybrid media device. I fear, however, with the success of the iPod Jobs will steer the company away from traditonal computing for productivity :(

---->

The Rick
01-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Just looking at live updates on macrumors.com and it's confirmed...Jobs announced the "MacMini". Here's what was said on the above site (in reverse chronological order):

$499 with 1.25 G4, 256, 40 gig, Combo
prices for mac mini: $499 and $599
http://webpages.charter.net.nyud.net:8090/mattman7/mini.jpg
available Jan 22
most important new mac 'ever'
another at 1.4 Ghz
1.25 Ghz G4
coming 1st half of 05
half as high as an iPod Mini, surface of a little dish
comes with Panther & iLife 05
analog, digital video out
pizza box style
quiet, fw, usb2, video out, ethernet - very very tiny
very tiny
Mac Mini

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Cool. Doubles as a paperweight.

BigMeatballDave
01-11-2005, 12:58 PM
My sister just bought a G5 iMac. Its sweet. My only problem with Mac is that I'm so used to Windows...

The Rick
01-11-2005, 01:03 PM
http://www.apple.com/macmini/

DenverChief
01-11-2005, 01:10 PM
My sister just bought a G5 iMac. Its sweet. My only problem with Mac is that I'm so used to Windows...

the new mac OS (OSX) is windows based.....the only difference is click and drag rather than right click and no double click