PDA

View Full Version : What is your Off-Season Excitement Level?

Gaz
01-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Personally, I am psyched.

With Kennison, Parker, Boerigter, Horn and Hall [not to mention the 3TE sets with Gonzalez, Dunn & Wilson], ALL the gravy will go the Defense [bite me, Offense Homers].

Since it is Vermiel’s last season [and possibly Peterson’s last season], I forsee a MAJOR effort to upgrade the Defense. Gunther will get the players and assistant coaches he wants.

A Defense Homer’s wet dream.

How about you?

xoxo~
Gaz
A kid looking in the window of the candy store.

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 10:44 AM
I don't know that the Chiefs will make a ton of moves, but I'm always excited this time of year...the offseason is almost becoming more fun than the games themselves...

e_train69
01-11-2005, 10:45 AM
I think KC will sign 2 or 3 good FA's this offseason, but will it be enough. I think to have a successful season we are going to have to have some major improvements come from people that are currently on the roster. Who is going to step up? Mitchell, Wilkerson, Sims, Siavi, Harts? Plus is Barber going to come back and make a difference. There are a lot of questions to be answered, but I am optimistic.

bricks
01-11-2005, 10:46 AM

With Kennison, Parker, Boerigter, Horn and Hall [not to mention the 3TE sets with Gonzalez, Dunn & Wilson], ALL the gravy will go the Defense [bite me, Offense Homers].

Since it is Vermiel’s last season [and possibly Peterson’s last season], I forsee a MAJOR effort to upgrade the Defense. Gunther will get the players and assistant coaches he wants.

A Defense Homer’s wet dream.

How about you?

xoxo~
Gaz
A kid looking in the window of the candy store.

I have the same opinions and beliefs as yourself. I'm excited and psyched. But, I voted for bite me Gaz :p

Hoover
01-11-2005, 10:48 AM
I think we will see changes like we did after the 2001 season, so I'm not too pumped

Gaz
01-11-2005, 10:49 AM
I have the same opinions and beliefs as yourself. I'm excited and psyched. But, I voted for bite me Gaz :p

Almost irresistible, ennit?

xoxo~
Gaz
Cannot imagine anyone turning down a Gaz bite mark.

bricks
01-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Almost irresistible, ennit?

xoxo~
Gaz
Cannot imagine anyone turning down a Gaz bite mark.

yes it's hilarious. But, I would never trade the redn'gold.

Chiefnj
01-11-2005, 10:54 AM
I'm generally excited in the offseason until actual draft day when I shake my head with disgust as to who the Chiefs pick and when they do it. Day 2 of the draft is generally better.

I don't know what to think about this offseason. People talk about getting Gunther the guys he wants, but Gun's draft record when he was head coach wasn't too good for defensive players.

I'm also torn between giving our current players more time and bringing in new blood at as many positions as possible. It takes time for personnel to gel. I'm trying to recall a team that completely overhauled their defensive players in one offseason and how they did the following year. Gunther didn't turn the Titan's LB's around in a single season.

I don't expect the Chiefs to make a big splash in free agency. They never do. It could be the organization not being able to shell out outrageous money, it could be players who would rather go to a team with more coaching stability and a beach.

I think they'll sign 2 mid-tier free agents, talk about one or two big name guys but fall short and then leave us scratching our heads in the draft.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Lamar is wanting major Stadium improvements/new Stadium to be voted on in the near future. I bet his pocket book is open for Carl to plunder

Andoverer
01-11-2005, 11:11 AM
I'd be more pumped if they let a Planet concensus choose the draft picks and free agents. Then instead of
Dammit Carl! it would be Dammit Planet!

beavis
01-11-2005, 11:11 AM
I forsee a MAJOR effort to upgrade the Defense. Gunther will get the players and assistant coaches he wants.

I hope you're right, but I'll believe it when I see it.

MichaelH
01-11-2005, 11:13 AM
I don't know that the Chiefs will make a ton of moves, but I'm always excited this time of year...the offseason is almost becoming more fun than the games themselves...

I agree. It's odd but true. I guess the anticipation makes it exciting.

Chief Faithful
01-11-2005, 11:20 AM
In a strange way I am pleased that Warfield will receive a suspension. When CP and DV look and see Warfield gone, Barftee and McCleon having underperformed, and Battle not improving it will force them to bring in CB talent. They will not be able to look past the CB situation with Warfield out.

MichaelH
01-11-2005, 11:22 AM
In a strange way I am pleased that Warfield will receive a suspension. When CP and DV look and see Warfield gone, Barftee and McCleon having underperformed, and Battle not improving it will force them to bring in CB talent. They will not be able to look past the CB situation with Warfield out.

Never say never when it comes to CP and DV.

Mr. Laz
01-11-2005, 11:26 AM
what the Chiefs should do and what the end up doing is rarely the same

i believe it when i see it

i hope they prove the skeptical side of me wrong

if history tells us anything we will do about 60% of what we should

go bo
01-11-2005, 11:30 AM
what the Chiefs should do and what the end up doing is rarely the same

i believe it when i see it

i hope they prove the skeptical side of me wrong

if history tells us anything we will do about 60% of what we should60% huh?

ok, where is lazarus and what have you done with him?

Archie Bunker
01-11-2005, 11:31 AM
I am pumped :thumb:

I believe that the offense next year will be one of the best in league history and the best in KC history. The backfield is loaded with Priest, LJ, and the best fullback in the league T-Rich. Trent Green is a heck of QB if he ever got deep into the playoffs people would mention him with the top 5-10 QB's in league. The line is amazing and the depth there is good now with Bober, Welbourne, Sampson, and Black. A healthy Kris Wilson gives the Chiefs a great weapon to go with Gonzo and Dunn at TE. The WR position is what is going to make next season special. Kennison had a great season(outside of a few brain farts), Parker looks special, Boerighter is recovering fast, and eventhough he may never be our Az Hakim, Dante is a good slot guy. That is a lot of speed and weapons out there.

The defense will improve. The holdovers that are left will have more time under Gun and his new assistants(hopefully). Improvement on defense relies Carl upgrading at CB and LB and I believe he will. If you take a player by player look at the defense 2-3 new guy is all the Chiefs might need. The d-line is solid. Dalton gets a great push, Allen is hopefully a star in the making, Sims and Savaii if nothing else are fat enough to occupy a blocker or two. I am all for making Hicks a backup but only after the the needs at CB and LB are met. At LB I am guessing the big free agent pickup will be Barber's replacement. I am not sure what to think of Fujita and Mitchell. Both have potential and I am guessing they will start. In secondary Wesley is a good player that had a bad season, I believe he will rebound. Woods needs to be replaced I would be ok with Harts or Pile. If Bartee's contract is to much to cut I would like to see him at safety. The draft and fa are week at safety. A solid CB either through free agency or the draft is a must. Warfield is a solid number 2 guy, Sapp would be a decent nickle back. Goodbye McCleon.

With a weak schedule, in a weak division next season could be real special.

Sorry for the long winded answer.

Otter
01-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Is Peterson still running the show?

Brock
01-11-2005, 11:36 AM
I don't know why anyone would be excited at this point. There have been no changes made yet.

morphius
01-11-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm neither pumped nor bummed, I'm just in a circling pattern waiting for the fog of the offseason to clear. I don't know if the Chiefs will be able to bring in who they want to through FA and the draft. I don't care about the combiniation, but we all know we need Hicks on the bench, 2 corners and a LB.

go bo
01-11-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm neither pumped nor bummed, I'm just in a circling pattern waiting for the fog of the offseason to clear. I don't know if the Chiefs will be able to bring in who they want to through FA and the draft. I don't care about the combiniation, but we all know we need Hicks on the bench, 2 corners and a LB.actually, we need a lot more than just those 3 or 4 spots, but we'll be lucky to get 1 or 2, and they will only be mid-tier at best... :( :( :(

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't know why anyone would be excited at this point. There have been no changes made yet.

Anticipation of said changes.

Mr. Laz
01-11-2005, 12:04 PM
60% huh?

ok, where is lazarus and what have you done with him?
hehe

i'm here!!! tis me, tis me ... ROFL

i've always looked at it as a 60% thing, i'm just not satisfied with a "D" performance level :p

Mr. Laz
01-11-2005, 12:07 PM
i'm curious about these voters

Pumped. The Chiefs will make few changes. ===== [ 11 ] 36.67%

why would people be pumped IF the Chiefs are only going to make a Few Changes?

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 12:12 PM
i'm curious about these voters

Pumped. The Chiefs will make few changes. ===== [ 11 ] 36.67%

why would people be pumped IF the Chiefs are only going to make a Few Changes?

See my previous post.

It's the hope and anticipation associated with making wholesale changes, tempered by the reality that we won't...

Mr. Laz
01-11-2005, 12:16 PM
See my previous post.

It's the hope and anticipation associated with making wholesale changes, tempered by the reality that we won't...

but why would you have "hope and anticipation" for wholesale changes when you know it's not gonna happen?

i guess i'm just too jaded ... :(

i've gotten my hopes up too many times only to have the chiefs not really even try.

carry on...

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 12:23 PM
but why would you have "hope and anticipation" for wholesale changes when you know it's not gonna happen?

i've gotten my hopes up too many times only to have the chiefs not really even try.

carry on...

Yes, you are too jaded. :D

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 12:28 PM

carry on...

By the way, I got my hopes up prior to 2003 and as far as I'm concerned, the Chiefs did not disappoint.

Shawn Barber was the #1 free agent on my list and we got him. I wanted Hugh Douglas but was willing to live with a 2nd-tier guy and we got one in Vonnie Holliday. And finally, we got the guy that many felt was the 2nd or 3rd-best CB available in McCleon.

It bites that they all turned out to suck. But for that few weeks in March and April, they DID try and it was fun...

Mr. Laz
01-11-2005, 12:32 PM
By the way, I got my hopes up prior to 2003 and as far as I'm concerned, the Chiefs did not disappoint.

Shawn Barber was the #1 free agent on my list and we got him. I wanted Hugh Douglas but was willing to live with a 2nd-tier guy and we got one in Vonnie Holliday. And finally, we got the guy that many felt was the 2nd or 3rd-best CB available in McCleon.

It bites that they all turned out to suck. But for that few weeks in March and April, they DID try and it was fun...
yea ... they did try in the 2003 Free agency ... and i was pretty satisfied with what they did.

and then they turned around and drafted a RB in the first round :shake:

RedandGold
01-11-2005, 12:33 PM
I will be pumped IF we make wholesale changes. At this point, we haven't changed anything, so I am not going to get my hopes too high until something actually happens.

If Guinta gets shown the door, that will definitely help in terms of gaining the proper "pumpitude". Combine that with some solid moves in the draft and free agency, and I'll be totally fired up about the 2006 season!

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 12:41 PM
yea ... they did try in the 2003 Free agency ... and i was pretty satisfied with what they did.

and then they turned around and drafted a RB in the first round :shake:

Same thing happened to me.

Although, I was at least willing to understand why they drafted said RB, no matter how misguided.

Warrior5
01-11-2005, 12:48 PM
because I'm convinced that regardless of the alleged FO bickering, common sense will prevail and the Chiefs will attack their ailing D primarily through FA.

While we're on the topic of D FAs, can anyone confirm that these guys are in fact FAs?

CB Baxter, Gary 26.3 (BALT)
CB Herndon, Kelly 28.3 (DEN)
CB Lucas, Ken 26.1 (SEA)
CB Williams, Brian 25.7 (MIN)
CB Harper, Nicholas 30.5 (IND)
CB Smoot, Fred 25.9 (WAS)

MLB Pierce, Antonio 26.4 (WAS)
MLB Morris, Rob 30.1 (IND)
MLB Greisen, Nick 25.6 (NYG)
MLB McKinnon, Ronald 31.4 (ARI)

Mr. Laz
01-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Same thing happened to me.

Although, I was at least willing to understand why they drafted said RB, no matter how misguided.
oh... i understood WHY they drafted him

i just didn't agree with it

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 12:59 PM
because I'm convinced that regardless of the alleged FO bickering, common sense will prevail and the Chiefs will attack their ailing D primarily through FA.

While we're on the topic of D FAs, can anyone confirm that these guys are in fact FAs?

CB Baxter, Gary 26.3 (BALT)
CB Herndon, Kelly 28.3 (DEN)
CB Lucas, Ken 26.1 (SEA)
CB Williams, Brian 25.7 (MIN)
CB Harper, Nicholas 30.5 (IND)
CB Smoot, Fred 25.9 (WAS)

MLB Pierce, Antonio 26.4 (WAS)
MLB Morris, Rob 30.1 (IND)
MLB Greisen, Nick 25.6 (NYG)
MLB McKinnon, Ronald 31.4 (ARI)

Kelly Herndon is not on any list I've seen. Kenoy Kennedy is a free agent, but I don't think Herndon is.

Griesen is not on the list either.

Smoot, Williams, and Pierce are all restricted free agents. The rest are unrestricted.

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 01:01 PM
oh... i understood WHY they drafted him

i just didn't agree with it

I wasn't happy with it, but I can't argue with their reasoning.

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 01:03 PM
I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it.

Rain Man
01-11-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it.

I know I know I know I know I know I know.

(You really should wear baggier pants.)

morphius
01-11-2005, 01:42 PM
actually, we need a lot more than just those 3 or 4 spots, but we'll be lucky to get 1 or 2, and they will only be mid-tier at best... :( :( :(
4 players shouldn't be too hard, can probably get 2 FA and 2 in the draft, that's not asking for much really. Who? I have no friggin clue, but it is possible.

Warrior5
01-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Kelly Herndon is not on any list I've seen. Kenoy Kennedy is a free agent, but I don't think Herndon is.

Griesen is not on the list either.

Smoot, Williams, and Pierce are all restricted free agents. The rest are unrestricted.

Thanks htismaqe...appreciate the clarification.

PastorMikH
01-11-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm excited about next season. I've been looking forward to it since the first of October. :banghead:

htismaqe
01-11-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm excited about next season. I've been looking forward to it since the first of October. :banghead:

Last season was over in April, not October. :thumb:

LiL stumppy
01-11-2005, 04:41 PM
I am pumped for it.I don't think we will make alot of changes but I do think that we will make some good changes.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-11-2005, 05:02 PM

You can't be. That's wasn't an option.