PDA

View Full Version : School District Bans Pop & "Junk Food"

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 02:56 PM
No po-dunk backwater school. In a school district of 20,000 kids; in vending machines and in the cafeteria. No kidding. I understand the need for "nutrition" and eschewing junk food, but wow. Surprised me, I guess. :hmmm:

Our school board voted unanimously for it last night. No junk food at school. Unless it's brought in, then it can't be "seen" anywhere but the "commons."

http://www.sf.k12.sd.us/board/publicinSFSD.php

Now this is a school district, mind you, that has "group" counseling for every "dysfunction" imaginable. We have a "gay and lesbian" student organization, and we babysit kids for "teenage moms" and wouldn't go to school otherwise.

Welcome to the 21st Century. :thumb:

DenverChief
01-11-2005, 03:07 PM
its about time...obesity is an epidemic in our country...if you don't think pop and candy have anything to do with it watch the movie "Super Size Me" ...it is an eye opener

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:08 PM
I guess I don't see what the big deal is.

It's not to me, really.

However, imagine how teens respond to being told, "no, you can't eat that (buy that) at school."

A bit "Orwellian/Big Brother" from their point of view.

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Our district would do that, but we make way too much money with our Pepsi contract.

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Eh, f*ck 'em.

We had pop machines at my HS... but, I don't recall being prone to buying pop w/ my lunch.
There is a district here that the pop machines are turned off at lunch, but on all other times of the day.

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:10 PM
its about time...obesity is an epidemic in our country...if you don't think pop and candy have anything to do with it watch the movie "Super Size Me" ...it is an eye opener

Like I said to Brian, personally, it's not a big deal. From the kid's view, it's more about "choices"--aren't we suppose to be teaching them about making "good choices" and not imposing such things on them?

The obesity and nutritional argument is hard to dispell. I just find it ironic, people get all bent out of shape with the "dress code" and "appropriate language," yet this seems to have pretty widespead support.

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Wow. We don't have a gay and lesbian organization, yet. Well, at least I don't think so. We do have a program though for teenage mothers, so they can graduate high school.

DenverChief
01-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Like I said to Brian, personally, it's not a big deal. From the kid's view, it's more about "choices"--aren't we suppose to be teaching them about making "good choices" and not imposing such things on them?

The obesity and nutritional argument is hard to dispell. I just find it ironic, people get all bent out of shape with the "dress code" and "appropriate language," yet this seems to have pretty widespead support.

dress codes and appropriate language aren't the second leading cause of preventable death in this country either ...

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Our district would do that, but we make way too much money with our Pepsi contract.

We are gonna lose over $500,000 alone from the cafeteria. Likely a similar amount million from extracurricular and vending.

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:13 PM
"People".... parents, or students?

Both, but mainly students I guess.

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 03:14 PM
This is all money driven, Rob. You gotta see that. I bet the school lunch program in your district isn't receiving enough funding, and vending machine contracts aren't garnering enough money, so they figure they can make more money by selling more school lunches.

This is NOT about selling healthy snacks, IMO.

Edit: I just saw the figures you posted. I doubt they would give up that much $$$ if there was not some sort of guarantee to get that amount, or near it, through the school lunch program.

Predarat
01-11-2005, 03:14 PM
As long as they replace the junk food with experience enhancing birth control devices, i would have been all for that in my high school! Lets see, snickers bar or something that keeps me from knockin up my partners while heightening our sexual experience? No brainer. I can get the candy at QT.

DenverChief
01-11-2005, 03:15 PM
In March, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Disease Control announced that in the year 2000 there were 400,000 deaths related to poor diet and physical inactivity, second only to 435,000 tobacco related deaths.

The U.S. penchant for poor diet and physical inactivity is alarmingly close to overtaking tobacco as the leading cause of preventable death in the U.S. It's easy to see that obesity has gotten out of hand, but what's harder to tell is just how the country got to this point.

http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/puma/may04/obese.html

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:17 PM
This is all money driven, Rob. You gotta see that. I bet the school lunch program in your district isn't receiving enough funding, and vending machine contracts aren't garnering enough money, so they figure they can make more money by selling more school lunches.

This is NOT about selling healthy snacks, IMO.

Edit: I just saw the figures you posted. I doubt they would give up that much $$$ if there was not some sort of guarantee to get that amount, or near it, through the school lunch program.

I think they'll be disappointed then; kids will bring it in....are already bringin' it in.....kinda like the contraception argument: they are gonna do it, we need to teach them safe-sex; they are gonna buy it, why not profit from it.

Hell, when we legalize weed, maybe we can add a school tax to that too? :hmmm: (j/k)

Chiefnj
01-11-2005, 03:19 PM
How many planeteers in their late 30's or 40's had soda vending machines in school? We had 3 kinds of milk and a horrid orange aid to choose from.

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 03:19 PM
I think they'll be disappointed then; kids will bring it in....are already bringin' it in.....kinda like the contraception argument: they are gonna do it, we need to teach them safe-sex; they are gonna buy it, why not profit from it.

Hell, when we legalize weed, maybe we can add a school tax to that too? :hmmm: (j/k)
Do you think the school board realizes that though? I doubt it. They will end up losing money, but they think this will somehow boost the amount of real lunches they will sell.

Miles
01-11-2005, 03:20 PM
There is a district here that the pop machines are turned off at lunch, but on all other times of the day.

Im pretty sure they did that at my highschool as well. All of the vending machines were turned off during lunch.

DenverChief
01-11-2005, 03:20 PM
How many planeteers in their late 30's or 40's had soda vending machines in school? We had 3 kinds of milk and a horrid orange aid to choose from.

3 kinds of milk? choclate, white and?

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 03:22 PM
There are quite a few high schools i've seen (not around here) that have McDonalds, Taco Bell, or Pizza huts IN them.

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:22 PM

We had them, but limited access to after school kinda thing.

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Do you think the school board realizes that though? I doubt it. They will end up losing money, but they think this will somehow boost the amount of real lunches they will sell.

Actually, sadly....the only "real" opposition was because of lost revenue. No kidding. :shake:

We'll see if they are really gonna put their money where their mouth is though; they'll have to come up with an addition $1 million per year now. Which, if it leads to healthier lifestyles and less obesity fine. I'm just skeptical I guess.

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:25 PM
There are quite a few high schools i've seen (not around here) that have McDonalds, Taco Bell, or Pizza huts IN them.

Yeah, especially in urban areas I hear. I have a feeling that trend is being reversed though....

DenverChief
01-11-2005, 03:27 PM
In the wake of an increased awareness over child obesity and diabetes, school districts are retooling lunch programs, hoping to boost nutrition while meeting tight budgets.

At Troy Schools, the decision to use Carotino oil is the latest of several menu changes that include substituting frozen yogurt for ice cream. Districts such as Allen Park offer free fruit. Some schools in Farmington have eliminated soda and fries completely.

Several schools in Wayne County have menu review teams made up of parents, teachers and administrators -- including Grosse Pointe, Detroit, Allen Park and Dearborn Heights. Several schools in Wayne County are putting together programs for parents to teach them how to pack a nutritious lunch.

West Bloomfield 10th-grader Sydney Jackson says students appreciate the fact that more fresh fruits and vegetables are now offered at her school.

"It's good to have healthy options," said Jackson, who's on the swim team. She packs a lunch but usually grabs fruit, water or pretzels from the cafeteria's offerings.

"It really helps that they have this."

Gayle Moran, Troy Schools food services director, says seeing the film "Supersize Me," a documentary that criticizes fast food restaurants and school lunch programs for feeding students cheap food lacking nutrients, mobilized her to make changes to her district's food program.

"We do have to take some ownership here," she said. "After a lot of dialogue, we said 'Let's try it in the middle school and take out high-fat items.' "

The district has removed a la carte french fries from the menu, substituted frozen yogurt for ice cream and stocked vending machines with baked rather than fried foods.
Working within limitations of the federal school lunch program is a challenge, she said.

Federal law requires that school lunches meet certain nutritional standards. But federal law also requires that lunch programs pay for themselves, and a la carte items such as pizza, french fries and nuggets that are exempt from standards are profitable despite their poor nutritional value.

"It's a double-edged sword," Moran said. "From a business aspect, we can't afford to take out the high-selling items."

Finding cheap ways to feed children good foods is a challenge for many school districts.

In the Allen Park School District, several schools have instituted a daily free fresh fruit program. At the middle school, children select from a wide variety of fruit, including apples, pineapple, oranges and cantaloupe, said assistant principal Mark Greathead.

Lisa McKinney, whose children attend Allen Park schools, said the program has made a big difference in her children's eating habits. It has made her more conscientious about offering nutritious food alternatives at home, she said.

"Kids are eating strawberries and pineapples rather than candy bars," she said.

"At home, I now notice they're grabbing the banana or the apple instead of the junk that's there, and we have a lot of junk in our house. It's easier to pack a bunch of that stuff."

The district was able to fund the free fruit program through an $80,000 federal grant spread over two years.

"We're trying to offer students healthy alternatives to snacks and junk food," Greathead said. "We still have a vending machine and students eat both (fruit and vending machine food)."

School officials say it's especially important to provide healthful alternatives to children in the elementary and middle school grades.

"It's an age where their food patterns are being established and if you have the fruit readily available, they're going to go for it," said Martha Knopsnider, food service director at Allen Park Middle School.

Mary Claya, child nutrition consultant with Oakland Schools, says media attention over obesity has driven the push for better lunch menus in the last three to five years.

"There's definitely been a heightened awareness," she said.

According to the National Center for Chronic Disease and Health Promotion, the percentage of children and adolescents who are overweight has more than doubled in the past 30 years.
More than 5.3 million or 12.5 percent of children ages 6 to 17 are seriously overweight, the group found.

Inadequate nutrition and lack of exercise lead to poor concentration, lower test scores and higher absenteeism, according to the School Nutrition Association.

http://www.supersizeme.com/home.aspx?page=archived/12_09_04_detnews

Skip Towne
01-11-2005, 03:27 PM
That school district is just trying to CYA. That damn sure won't stop the kids from eating whatever they want. Just where they buy it.

BIG_DADDY
01-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Soda machines and junk food needed to be pulled. If the P's are stupid enough to give their kids a bunch of that crap then so be it. The amount of kids becoming diabetics is rising to point that it's becoming an epidemic. Every time I drive by a school bus stop the kids out there look like they are headed to a Fat Albert convention. It's really a shame when most girls under the age of 18 already have serious weight problems. It's really sick when most boys have man boobs before they are even old enough to drive. The only reason they put them in schools in the first place was so the bureaucracy could flourish, they don't give a damn about those kids. Cut the athletic programs and PE and get paid for putting sugar dispensers in school, NICE.

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:35 PM
That school district is just trying to CYA. That damn sure won't stop the kids from eating whatever they want. Just where they buy it.

That's my thought. Good intentions, but you know what they say....

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Soda machines and junk food needed to be pulled. If the P's are stupid enough to give their kids a bunch of that crap then so be it. The amount of kids becoming diabetics is rising to point that it's becoming an epidemic. Every time I drive by a school bus stop the kids out there look like they are headed to a Fat Albert convention. It's really a shame when most girls under the age of 18 already have serious weight problems. It's really sick when most boys have man boobs before they are even old enough to drive. The only reason they put them in schools in the first place was so the bureaucracy could flourish, they don't give a damn about those kids. Cut the athletic programs and PE and get paid for putting sugar dispensers in school, NICE.

Once again, I agree philosophically....it's the "coercion" and "all or nothing" mindset I'm hearing the kids complain about.

BIG_DADDY
01-11-2005, 03:39 PM

Actually I think they are beginning to realize that it's only a matter of time before these kids becomng diabetics sue the school system for distributing sugar like that. I don't believe for even one second that there was anything noble about pulling the sh!t from their prospective they could give a rats ass about those kids.

DenverChief
01-11-2005, 03:39 PM

REP! Have you seen Super Size Me yet BD? Not that you need to but damn....

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Since when do the kids' complaints f*cking matter?

ROFL

Until you've had enough, and slap 'em down. :p

Saulbadguy
Apparently when they started growing man-boobs.

DenverChief
Apparently when they started growing man-boobs.ROFL

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:41 PM

Damn, mark this day down....

DC givin' BD....er, eh....REP?

BIG_DADDY
01-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Once again, I agree philosophically....it's the "coercion" and "all or nothing" mindset I'm hearing the kids complain about.

Then educate them on why it has to be done. I pulled my godson off of soda and other sugars and he dropped 30 pounds in 4 months. He is a lean mean weight lifting machine now. His grades have gone up and he feels better in general. He also feels much better about himself and the attention he is getting from the girls now. What they need to do is get rid of those gay support groups and start a don't be a fat fvck club.

DenverChief
01-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Damn, mark this day down....

DC givin' BD....er, eh....REP?

Yea....we have our common ground :)

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Then educate them on why it has to be done. I pulled my godson off of soda and other sugars and he dropped 30 pounds in 4 months. He is a lean mean weight lifting machine now. His grades have gone up and he feels better in general. He also feels much better about himself and the attention he is getting from the girls now. What they need to do is get rid of those gay support groups and start a don't be a fat fvck club.
I'd join a don't be a fat fvck club.

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:43 PM
... don't believe for even one second that there was anything noble about pulling the sh!t from their prospective they could give a rats ass about those kids.

Come on, Troy, seriously....you can't be THAT jaded, can you? :(

I mean, hell....you are talking about professionals, educated people, who have dedicated their careers to helping kids. Seriously. I mean, I have my disagreements with their methods sometimes, but not their motivation.... :shake:

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Hell, I was being serious. We're talking about minors here. The school sets the rules, they live with them. Don't like it? Tough shit.

Empowerment and "participatory" decision-making aren't a part of your management style, eh? ROFL

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:45 PM
I'd join a don't be a fat fvck club.

I'd sponsor the club too! :thumb:

BIG_DADDY
01-11-2005, 03:46 PM

Liver like an alchoholic, yep. That movie should be shown in school. Health and PE should be regular classes right through high school. Actually you could do health for one semester a year and I would be fine just make the class a good one. I didn't learn a damn thing in health class as a kid. "Don't smoke pot and don't drink" along with "wear a condom" was all they ever taught us. Nothing, not a damn thing did they ever teach us about eating habits. Public schools are worthless.

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Liver like an alchoholic, yep. That movie should be shown in school. Health and PE should be regular classes right through high school. Actually you could do health for one semester a year and I would be fine just make the class a good one. I didn't learn a damn thing in health class as a kid. "Don't smoke pot and don't drink" along with "wear a condom" was all they ever taught us. Nothing, not a damn thing did they ever teach us about eating habits. Public schools are worthless.
Actually, they taught us nutrition, but IMO it was always bullshit. The Food Pyramid is what we were taught. I don't believe in the food pyramid one bit.

Calcountry
01-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Eh, f*ck 'em.

We had pop machines at my HS... but, I don't recall being prone to buying pop w/ my lunch.
Too bad they didn't have beer machines eh?

KS Smitty
01-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Since when do the kids' complaints f*cking matter?

Since parents quit being parents and started being friends with their kids. "Can't say no to them they may not like me anymore." :deevee:

I saw a program the other day that had extremely obese preschoolers on it. We're talking children 2, 3, and 4 years old that were 200+ lbs. It was really awful, and what was the worse part is the parents honestly thought it was ok to feed these babies as much as they wanted to eat. Substituting comfort for food.

Our school district has vending machines in the lobby, ala carte and the regular school lunch menu but parents have the authority to not allow their childrens lunch money to be spent on anything but the regular lunch menu and of course you need cash for the vending machines. Folks on the free/reduced program cannot use their lunch cards on anything but the regular menu, if kids want alacarte they have to pay our of their (parents) pocket.

BIG_DADDY
01-11-2005, 03:50 PM

I mean, hell....you are talking about professionals, educated people, who have dedicated their careers to helping kids. Seriously. I mean, I have my disagreements with their methods sometimes, but not their motivation.... :shake:

There are good teachers but even a good percentage of those suck as I am sure you can confirm. I just don't believe in public schools, hardly anything makes it to the students anymore.

Herzig
01-11-2005, 03:51 PM
I wish they would do this at my school. We have lots of junk food...Fried cheese sticks, Chicken wings, pizza, tater tots, ice cream, cookies, french fries, etc. No cokes, but we do have pink lemonade, etc.. All of these items are on the "ala Carte" line. Items on this line are more expensive than the sandwich lines.

We also have 2 sandwich lines the usually contain balanced meals, and a salad bar line.

Most students almost always eat cheese stix, fries, etc. They have the choice to spend their parents money on whatever they want and they do it. I think if most parents saw what they were eating everyday, they flip out. Parents can come to school and get a printout of their kids spending habits, but that rarely happens.

BTW, our school cafeteria is not affiliated with our school district. It is run by a private company.

Is it any wonder why we are the most obese nation on Earth? :rolleyes:

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:52 PM
There are good teachers but even a good percentage of those suck as I am sure you can confirm. I just don't believe in public schools, hardly anything makes it to the students anymore.

I guess I'd urge you to consider the district; some districts are crap.

Overall though, public schools in suburban areas are generaly pretty darn good. Don't judge all of us by the bad ones....the idiots that are out there, like urban area/inner city public schools.

Iowanian
01-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Kids would get in better shape if schools reinstituted dodgeball every morning.........and I'm not talking about nurf balls.........roller skates, hockey pucks, basketballs, shoes.

Maybe put a tower in the middle of the baseball diamond, put the redneck kids that get plenty of exercise hunting climb up there with high end paintball guns, have the students and lardass teachers run laps around the diamond...........the last ones around each lap get pelted in the keister for the next lap...........same for the loafers.

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Guess not.

Am I the only one who was raised that way? Dad makes the rules, I follow them. If I choose not to, I get punished. School and other authority figures were a logical extension.

Wow, school would be a lot easier with 2000 ENDelt's running around; but it just ain't that way any more.....

I hear what you are saying, and know what you mean--but teaching kids to make good choices is also important.

stevieray
01-11-2005, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=SDChiefsfan]Like I said to Brian, personally, it's not a big deal. From the kid's view, it's more about "choices"--aren't we suppose to be teaching them about making "good choices" and not imposing such things on them?

QUOTE]

to me, this is the problem. Who gives a shit what kids think. Oh, that's right, we've accepted that most parents can't or don't teach thier kids how to handle any type of "adversity'. Heaven forbid one kid was unhappy or didn't get their way 24/7.

Predarat
01-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Kids would get in better shape if schools reinstituted dodgeball every morning.........and I'm not talking about nurf balls.........roller skates, hockey pucks, basketballs, shoes.

Maybe put a tower in the middle of the baseball diamond, put the redneck kids that get plenty of exercise hunting climb up there with high end paintball guns, have the students and lardass teachers run laps around the diamond...........the last ones around each lap get pelted in the keister
Exactly right!! Why are people so down on Dodgeball and stuff?

Calcountry
01-11-2005, 03:56 PM
It takes a villiage.

BIG_DADDY
01-11-2005, 03:57 PM
I wish they would do this at my school. We have lots of junk food...Fried cheese sticks, Chicken wings, pizza, tater tots, ice cream, cookies, french fries, etc. No cokes, but we do have pink lemonade, etc.. All of these items are on the "ala Carte" line. Items on this line are more expensive than the sandwich lines.

We also have 2 sandwich lines the usually contain balanced meals, and a salad bar line.

Most students almost always eat cheese stix, fries, etc. They have the choice to spend their parents money on whatever they want and they do it. I think if most parents saw what they were eating everyday, they flip out. Parents can come to school and get a printout of their kids spending habits, but that rarely happens.

BTW, our school cafeteria is not affiliated with our school district. It is run by a private company.

Is it any wonder why we are the most obese nation on Earth? :rolleyes:

You gotta cut that sugar as much as possible. Diabetes and High blood pressure are on the rise like nothing else for kids now becoming a very real health issue for youngsters, that's really a shame.

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Because there is no educational value, and more and more the state is stressing "test scores, test scores, test scores", so more time is alotted towards classroom time.

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 03:58 PM

to me, this is the ptoblem. Who gives a shit what kids think. Oh, that's right, we've accepted that most parents can't or don't teach thier kids how to habdle any type of "adversity'

You know me, and you know I agree with you....generally.

It isn't so much that parents can't....but, unfortunately, many don't: because they are absent, working three jobs to pay for the "Tahoe" or the Caribbean vacation. Today, parents are often absent or negligent: but if schools don't give kids a chance to learn about making choices, some of them never will....

Calcountry
01-11-2005, 04:01 PM
I agree, a persons excuses are their own.

BTW, I have been lifting again for a month and I feel great.

I roasted a turkey for Christmas with herbs and seasonings in it and fed off that mother for a couple of weeks. No need to wait for Christmas to eat good.

:thumb:

WHSCenter has gained about 7 pounds in that time. He now is at about 218 and we are shooting for 240+ by June.

Today we are working the Chest.

stevieray
01-11-2005, 04:02 PM
You know me, and you know I agree with you....generally.

It isn't so much that parents can't....but, unfortunately, many don't: because they are absent, working three jobs to pay for the "Tahoe" or the Caribbean vacation. Today, parents are often absent or negligent: but if schools don't give kids a chance to learn about making choices, some of them never will....

You're proving my point. The assumption that all parents suck. and the school has to do it for everyone. Just like very school has a problem with violence that must be squashed. It's all BS.

I'm sick of schools patronizing me when I go to school functions, like i'm SOOOOOOOO SPECIAL for being there.

Calcountry
01-11-2005, 04:02 PM

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Liberals need to join a support group.

BIG_DADDY
01-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Because there is no educational value, and more and more the state is stressing "test scores, test scores, test scores", so more time is alotted towards classroom time.

So the teachers respond by writing the assignment on the chaulkboard. What chapters to read and what homework to do. My godson says nobody actually shows him how to do anything. I can give an assignment by computer, WTF teachers for anymore if that's what it's becoming. Once again I fully realize there are some very good teachers out there but there are many more that just flat out suck.

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 04:04 PM
I work at an inner city school district, and believe me, there are alot of parents who expect the school to do everything.

There are quite a few children whose only meals come when they go to school.

BIG_DADDY
01-11-2005, 04:04 PM
I agree, a persons excuses are their own.

BTW, I have been lifting again for a month and I feel great.

I roasted a turkey for Christmas with herbs and seasonings in it and fed off that mother for a couple of weeks. No need to wait for Christmas to eat good.

:thumb:

WHSCenter has gained about 7 pounds in that time. He now is at about 218 and we are shooting for 240+ by June.

Today we are working the Chest.

Keep up the good work!! :thumb:

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 04:05 PM
So the teachers respond by writing the assignment on the chaulkboard. What chapters to read and what homework to do. My godson says nobody actually shows him how to do anything. I can give an assignment by computer, WTF teachers for anymore if that's what it's becoming. Once again I fully realize there are some very good teachers out there but there are many more that just flat out suck.
Teachers are being held to higher standards, and they are stressing different areas now. Its all changing. No Child Left Behind...thats the mantra now in public schools. All the state cares about is test scores.

stevieray
I work at an inner city school district, and believe me, there are alot of parents who expect the school to do everything.

So what? life isn't rosy for everyone all the time. There have always been bad parents. i'm sick of the stereotype.

KS Smitty

Because it's a competitive "best man wins" type sport. It supports individual ability over team playing. The wimpy throwers, poor aimers and large targets will lose out and that hurts their self-esteem. How the hell I reached adulthood without being irreparably damaged I'll never know.

Iowanian
01-11-2005, 04:06 PM
School Districts should Only Hire Retired DIs for Gym Teachers.

The average kid would look a little different with some R LEE Ermy running the Jump Rope-a-thon every morning.

stevieray

you work?

Herzig

You can thank "No Child Left Behind" for that. What stupid idea that is...Hey let's base whether a school is proficient on a 3 day test once a year! We keep kids that are performing below grade level in from PE twice a week for remediation. I can't help but wonder if some of those kids are there because they hate PE.

Mr. Kotter
Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Liberals need to join a support group.

There's a difference between liberalism and good education though.

I'm a conservative. I'm an educator. And I believe in doing what's "best for kids." :thumb:

Saulbadguy
So what? life isn't rosy for everyone all the time. There have always been bad parents. i'm sick of the stereotype.
I think its just a constant struggle between the schools and parents, of what should "we" provide, and what should "they" provide. IMO, more and more things are being set on the schools shoulders.

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Inner city Topeka?

You've obviously never been to the North/East side of Topeka after dark? :hmmm:

:shake:

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 04:08 PM
you work?
If you want to call it that. The job of a Network Administrator is to set up and manage the network so you don't have to work. :)

stevieray
01-11-2005, 04:09 PM
I think its just a constant struggle between the schools and parents, of what should "we" provide, and what should "they" provide. IMO, more and more things are being set on the schools shoulders.

BS. Schools are sterotyping parents and kids. My 11 year old got into a tussle with her best friend at recess. That night the FEMALE principle called my house and suggested medication or therapy.

Saulbadguy
Inner city Topeka?
Population 120,000

Its a little big city. We have 4 school districts.

Chiefnj
That night the FEMALE principle called my house and suggested medication or therapy.

For you??

KS Smitty
01-11-2005, 04:10 PM
I got some bad news for ya...

nlm 4321 :)

I asked for that one.

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 04:11 PM
BS. Schools are sterotyping parents and kids. My 11 year old got into a tussle with her best friend at recess. That night the FEMALE principle called my house and suggested medication or therapy.
Its a stereotype in some situations. The school board ASSUMES that parents aren't going to teach children about certain things, so they set every child under the same set of standards.

BIG_DADDY
01-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Teachers are being held to higher standards, and they are stressing different areas now. Its all changing. No Child Left Behind...thats the mantra now in public schools. All the state cares about is test scores.

So they give them homework, I already expected that. It would just be nice to hear him say once that somebody actually taught him something. He had some geometry the other night and was asking me about it. I know better but thought I would ask anyway "didn't anybody show you how to do any of this?" "No, she just writes on the board what she wants us to do and goes back to her desk" he said. I ask once again, what do we need teachers for if this is all they are going to do. We could teach by computers at home and save a fortune if this is what it is coming to.

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 04:13 PM
You can thank "No Child Left Behind" for that. What stupid idea that is...Hey let's base whether a school is proficient on a 3 day test once a year! We keep kids that are performing below grade level in from PE twice a week for remediation. I can't help but wonder if some of those kids are there because they hate PE.
Amen...are you a teacher?

Mr. Kotter
You're proving my point. The assumption that all parents suck. and the school has to do it for everyone. Just like very school has a problem with violence that must be squashed. It's all BS.

I'm sick of schools patronizing me when I go to school functions, like i'm SOOOOOOOO SPECIAL for being there.

I don't know what the demographics of your school district are, but the school I work, while not KC public, is no Shawnee Mission.

It's 16% minority, 40% come from single parent homes, another 30% from "step families" with "issues," 70% are lower middle class to poor (half of those, genuinely "poor,") and, yes indeed, some of those parents are doing a fabulous job. However, many of them EXPECT the school to take on this increased role--no, they have demanded it.

What of the kids who don't, for whatever reason, "get it" at home? :shrug:

stevieray
For you??

nope, but I heard they are close to finding a cure for what ails you.

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 04:15 PM
So they give them homework, I already expected that. It would just be nice to hear him say once that somebody actually taught him something. He had some geometry the other night and was asking me about it. I know better but thought I would ask anyway "didn't anybody show you how to do any of this?" "No, she just writes on the board what she wants us to do and goes back to her desk" he said. I ask once again, what do we need teachers for if this is all they are going to do. We could teach by computers at home and save a fortune if this is what it is coming to.
Hell, you know, there are good teachers and bad teachers. I had a math teacher in HS that did the same thing. Did a few examples on the board, and told us to do pages x-x.

As far as computers, I know the state is mandating a certain amount of computers in the classroom per pupil. I've walked in to multiple classrooms where there are kids on the computer just surfing the net and chatting, while the teacher just sits there at her desk reading a magazine or something.

stevieray
01-11-2005, 04:16 PM
I don't know what the demographics of your school district are, but the school I work, while not KC public, is no Shawnee Mission.

It's 16% minority, 40% come from single parent homes, another 30% from "step families" with "issues," 70% are lower middle class to poor (half of those, genuinely "poor,") and, yes indeed, some of those parents are doing a fabulous job. However, many of them EXPECT the school to take on this increased role--no, they have demanded it.

What of the kids who don't, for whatever reason, "get it" at home? :shrug:

It's not the schools responsibilty.

Saulbadguy
I guess my mental picture of "inner city" doesn't exist in a 120K town.
Eh..come to T-Town sometime. I'm sure our "ghetto" isn't as bad as yours, but its still fairly poor.

Calcountry
School Districts should Only Hire Retired DIs for Gym Teachers.

The average kid would look a little different with some R LEE Ermy running the Jump Rope-a-thon every morning.
I would love to be R Lee Ermy to all these nipple ringers and tatooheads. hehehehhe

Calcountry
01-11-2005, 04:18 PM
There's a difference between liberalism and good education though.

I'm a conservative. I'm an educator. And I believe in doing what's "best for kids." :thumb:
Most teachers are liberals in these parts. Sorry if I overgeneralized ya. :(

Calcountry
01-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Hell, I've never even been to Topeka, period. How many people live there?
My Cousin lived there before he died a few years agon. He was a big Chiefs fan. :shake:

Saulbadguy
01-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Mine? I don't own a ghetto.
A slum, perhaps?

Calcountry
01-11-2005, 04:20 PM
I get the same crap from my daughter. They want us to teach them.

Now that she is in math tutoring, she is finally starting to make some progress with it.

BIG_DADDY
01-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Hell, you know, there are good teachers and bad teachers. I had a math teacher in HS that did the same thing. Did a few examples on the board, and told us to do pages x-x.

As far as computers, I know the state is mandating a certain amount of computers in the classroom per pupil. I've walked in to multiple classrooms where there are kids on the computer just surfing the net and chatting, while the teacher just sits there at her desk reading a magazine or something.

To me privatizing is the only way to go. Give me the voucher any day and let me make my own choices. I don't like them telling him not to hit people back that hit him either. He already got thrown against the wall by a big bully and then punched the guy in the chest for doing it. They told his mother if it happens again they will expel him. I already told him it doesn't matter, it somebody hits you hit them back. My godson is an all A and B student, the big bully was flunking out at the time.

BIG_DADDY
01-11-2005, 04:24 PM
I get the same crap from my daughter. They want us to teach them.

Now that she is in math tutoring, she is finally starting to make some progress with it.

I am going to try and get his mother to enter him in Silva Learning Centers this next summer so they can teach him how to study. Of all the courses that should be taught that's a big one that I have never seen available in public schools.

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 04:24 PM
It's not the schools responsibilty.

Tell that to the parents and community that DEMAND it of us.

I for one, would LOVE to concentrate on just "teaching." :thumb:

DenverChief
01-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Tell that to the parents and community that DEMAND it of us.

I for one, would LOVE to concentrate on just "teaching." :thumb:

You have go to read this book http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0684818868/qid=1105482472/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/103-4877398-7179840

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 04:38 PM
You have go to read this book http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0684818868/qid=1105482472/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/103-4877398-7179840

I've seen it; but not yet read it...it's on my "list" though. :)

Calcountry
01-11-2005, 05:08 PM
I am going to try and get his mother to enter him in Silva Learning Centers this next summer so they can teach him how to study. Of all the courses that should be taught that's a big one that I have never seen available in public schools.
They should also have a course in how to "read and react" to the teacher of course.

You CAN get a B average and not study, you really can. :p

LiL stumppy
01-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Good some kids are just to fat.

Valiant
01-11-2005, 05:23 PM

except for its not true... There was a sequel done by two other people.. at the same amount of food he ate every day.. but the only other thing they did was work out for 20/30 mins a day...

They lost weight...

See the connection???

It is not that kids eat fast food, it is they do not exercise, they play games, sit in front of the computer, watch tv/movies..

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Good some kids are just to fat.

I know. You think this will "cure" them? :hmmm:

DenverChief
01-11-2005, 05:33 PM
except for its not true... There was a sequel done by two other people.. at the same amount of food he ate every day.. but the only other thing they did was work out for 20/30 mins a day...

They lost weight...

See the connection???

It is not that kids eat fast food, it is they do not exercise, they play games, sit in front of the computer, watch tv/movies..

it is true that sh!t is crap I won't ever eat it again..most americans don't exercise and thats the point...you can not exercise and eat home made food and not gain weight...so why would eating at Fat Food restaruants make you gain weight? Why do McCrap french fries not break down like normal food does?

DenverChief
01-11-2005, 05:35 PM
I've seen it; but not yet read it...it's on my "list" though. :)

its really good cause he talks about how the public schools have to teach things in such a vanilla way that you really never learn history...or much else for that matter except math

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2005, 05:36 PM
it is true that sh!t is crap I won't ever eat it again..most americans don't exercise and thats the point...you can not exercise and eat home made food and not gain weight...so why would eating at Fat Food restaruants make you gain weight? Why do McCrap french fries not break down like normal food does?

Mayo Clinic, medical condition guide: "Anal trauma can cause digestive irregularities." :hmmm:

j/k, Jason....lighten up. yeah, I know I need to, too.... :p

DenverChief
01-11-2005, 05:39 PM
I learned plenty in public schools... I just drank and smoked most of it away in the years that followed.ROFL

Calcountry
01-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Why does heroin taste so good?

Why is cocain addictive?

Why does shit stink?

KCWolfman
01-11-2005, 06:15 PM
This was actually a pretty cool story on Discovery a few months ago. The reports on school violence has decreased, attendance has increased, and the kids can bring their own "junk food" if they want. Also the cost is only minimally higher.

KCWolfman
01-11-2005, 06:19 PM
...you can not exercise and eat home made food and not gain weight..

Not true, if caloric intake exceeds caloric burn, you will gain weight - no matter what the food is. As a matter of fact, if the food doesn't "break down" as you say, we would simply defecate the whole matter. I am assuming you mean the food breaks down to sugars and/or proteins that aren't released through the excretory system, which may be true. But I guarantee if you are as inactive as the guy in Supersize Me and you eat only "homemade" foods, and I eat McDonalds and am more physically active, I will be healthier than you after a month.