PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger giving playoff money to tsunami victims

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Roethlisberger gives check to tsunami aid

NFL.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH (Jan. 11, 2005) -- Ben Roethlisberger has surprised his Pittsburgh Steelers ' teammates many times during his unbeaten rookie season. He did so again, announcing he'll donate his first NFL playoff paycheck to the tsunami victims relief effort.

Even on a team that openly encourages its players to participate in charity activities and community events, Roethlisberger's $18,000 gesture before the Jan. 15 Jets-Steelers game created a positive stir.

"Wow, I didn't even know that," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "Guys do a lot of different things in different ways that people don't always hear about, but that's great -- that's for a great cause, definitely. That's a big tragedy, and I hope everyone will at least donate (something)."

Unlike the regular season, when each player earns a weekly share of his base salary, playoff salaries are determined by the league's collective bargaining agreement and each player is paid the same.

Roethlisberger, who is 13-0 as a rookie quarterback, hopes other NFL players will follow his lead.

"I'm going to donate my game check this week to the tsunami relief -- and hopefully maybe (it will be) a challenge for other people to do that, too," Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger became motivated to act after numerous NBA players -- including Kobe Bryant, Jermaine O'Neal and Bob Sura -- donated $1,000 per point scored last weekend to the relief effort. The NBA players' union also donated $500,000, and the NBA will match the gift.

In the NFL, the Patriots made playoff tickets available to fans who donated at least $1,000 to efforts to aid the estimated 5 million tsunami victims.

"A game check isn't anything like some of the Yankees and some of those people who've donated a million dollars, but every little thing they can get can help," Roethlisberger said. "Hopefully, it's a challenge to other NFL players. We've seen the NBA players do it."

Roethlisberger, the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, has a base salary of $230,000, but also will collect $9 million in signing and roster bonuses by early next year and as much as $2.6 million in first-season performance bonuses.

Roethlisberger's gesture impressed Steelers coach Bill Cowher, who has talked all season about the rookie's maturity.

"That's a heck of a gesture on his part. That says a lot about the kid for him to do something like that," Cowher said. "I've said all along the kid's got a great perspective on things and that's another example of it."

No other Steelers players have said if they will match Roethlisberger's gesture, which was announced just before practice and may not yet be known to them.

Rain Man
01-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Pretty cool.

Deberg_1990
01-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Thats a nice Tax writeoff for him.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Thats a nice Tax writeoff for him.
Sure. But mostly it's just a nice thing to do.

Kerberos
01-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Yea I read that and wondered if any of the NFL players would do like the NBA players did for Kobe and match him ??

But then again NBA players make a hell'of'allot more cash than the average NFL player does !

tommykat
01-12-2005, 05:46 PM
A very class act :thumb:

BIG_DADDY
01-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Very cool, good too see someone doing the right thing. I hope some of you guys have sent at least a couple bucks yourself.

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 05:55 PM
It's nice to do, but let's not make him a saint in the process... I've heard about this only 100 times already on the Sports Center updates. Again, not knocking it, but these are million dollar athletes, let's not make it a big deal.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-12-2005, 06:07 PM
It's nice to do, but let's not make him a saint in the process... I've heard about this only 100 times already on the Sports Center updates. Again, not knocking it, but these are million dollar athletes, let's not make it a big deal.
Yea, I didn't figure any Broncos players would meet the challenge either.

Hammock Parties
01-12-2005, 06:12 PM
So is John Lynch. The Orange Mane started a donation fund to his charity and the Lynches are matching the total.

BIG_DADDY
01-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Yea, I didn't figure any Broncos players would meet the challenge either. ROFL

Thig Lyfe
01-12-2005, 06:13 PM
what a playa

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 06:28 PM
Yea, I didn't figure any Broncos players would meet the challenge either.

Ha ... as many as the KC team, I suppose.

Phobia
01-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Yeah. $18,000 sounds like a lot of money until you see dude is making $10,000,000.

As you all know, I'm a big fan of charity, but I don't want to hear about some dude donating .0001% of his paycheck. You want to impress me? Donate 80% of your ****ing check. I'm pretty sure you'll find a way to eat on $2,000,000.

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 06:35 PM
That was my point... his $18k might be the same as my $50. Listening to the talking heads on radio, you'd think the guy donated his bonus.

Phobia
01-12-2005, 06:37 PM
That was my point... his $18k might be the same as my $50. Listening to the talking heads on radio, you'd think the guy donated his bonus.

An NFL player donating $18k is the equivelent of me dropping a quarter into a red bucket. They don't put my ugly mug on TV every half hour when that happens, don't do it with Rothlescheapskate either.

Eleazar
01-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Why did he delay so long before acting?[/Denise]

Mile High Mania
01-12-2005, 06:45 PM
An NFL player donating $18k is the equivelent of me dropping a quarter into a red bucket. They don't put my ugly mug on TV every half hour when that happens, don't do it with Rothlescheapskate either.

We still hold you in high regards, though. You sir, are a true American patriot!

Chiefs Pantalones
01-12-2005, 08:58 PM
We still hold you in high regards, though. You sir, are a true American patriot!

I agree.

I would expect nothing less from a Combat Veteran.

America, f$ck yeah.

Hammock Parties
01-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Lynch sent a letter back to the Orange Mane. They're pretty proud of it.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Yea I read that and wondered if any of the NFL players would do like the NBA players did for Kobe and match him ??

But then again NBA players make a hell'of'allot more cash than the average NFL player does !

How many points did KOBE score that game. I missed it.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Man you guys are tough. Give the kid a break. At least he is doing something positive. Cant we give him the benefit of the doubt. :shake:

RNR
01-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Leave it to Phobia to post what I was thinking. Yes he did not have to do it, yes it was nice of him. That said a guy who is going to make 11 million plus this year drops some change. If he was to put his earnings in a 3% savings account he would make that much in interest in what 1 month?

Straight, No Chaser
01-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Millions of Americans donated, many proportionately more per annual salary... Give quietly and play the game already.

--->

Ultra Peanut
01-13-2005, 01:45 AM
Yeah. $18,000 sounds like a lot of money until you see dude is making $10,000,000.

As you all know, I'm a big fan of charity, but I don't want to hear about some dude donating .0001% of his paycheck. You want to impress me? Donate 80% of your ****ing check. I'm pretty sure you'll find a way to eat on $2,000,000.Agreed. It's a nice move, but $18,000 to him is like me donating, uh, $0.18.

Fairplay
01-13-2005, 01:53 AM
Ben Roethlisberger is real cool. And i would suppose hes not getting the paycheck nearly like a Manning, Brady, Farve, McNabb and the like.

Fairplay
01-13-2005, 01:56 AM
Millions of Americans donated, many proportionately more per annual salary... Give quietly and play the game already.

--->

I can see your point in a way. But people nation wide like to see that big names give money to. And challenges all of us to help what you can. I can see both sides of this debate.

Phobia
01-13-2005, 02:21 AM
What debate? For a debate, there kinda needs to be two sides. BR gave .0001% of his paycheck. How much is .0001% of your paycheck? Is it somewhere around 12 cents? Take 12 cents down to the American Red Cross and see if they'll make a media event out of your generosity....

Fairplay
01-13-2005, 02:23 AM
What debate? For a debate, there kinda needs to be two sides. BR gave .0001% of his paycheck. How much is .0001% of your paycheck? Is it somewhere around 12 cents? Take 12 cents down to the American Red Cross and see if they'll make a media event out of your generosity....

I don't want to show off when i throw in my 12 cents.

Demonpenz
01-13-2005, 02:25 AM
i am not big on quoting the bible, but there is a verse that says he who people know about how much he donates to charity has his reward already on earth, the person who doesn't let anyone know he is donating anything gets his reward in heaven. I guess mike sweeney gives a huge amount of money to charity and tries to be quiet about it

OldTownChief
01-13-2005, 02:29 AM
It works out to be a little more than 1/10 of 1% of what he stands to make this year. $11,830,000

Phobia
01-13-2005, 02:35 AM
It works out to be a little more than 1/10 of 1% of what he stands to make this year. $11,830,000

Yeah, I was exaggerating slightly.

Let's do it in simplified terms:

-----------

That ain't a much of a dent. Take $18,000 out of my check and I'm walking everywhere I go and probably reading by candlelight.

OldTownChief
01-13-2005, 02:42 AM
On a $50,000 annual household salary it would equate to about $75 bucks. Now he will be a hero in the eyes of ESPN for the rest of the week.

Fairplay
01-13-2005, 02:44 AM
That ain't a much of a dent. Take $18,000 out of my check and I'm walking everywhere I go and probably reading by candlelight.

Grow a beard and people will think you're Abe Lincoln.

Phobia
01-13-2005, 02:46 AM
Grow a beard and people will think you're Abe Lincoln.

Are you making fun of my choice in headwear?

Phobia
01-13-2005, 02:52 AM
On a $50,000 annual household salary it would equate to about $75 bucks. Now he will be a hero in the eyes of ESPN for the rest of the week.

Except when you consider percentages of disposable income. To a household living on $50k, that $75 is a lot of money. It's groceries for a week.

To a "household" of 1 guy making $12 Mill - eh, I'm thinking he could give $11 Mill away and sacrifice significantly in comparison to the family sacrificing $75.

This is why I'm not impressed by a celebrity donating a shitload of cash. If I were to buy a case of girl scout cookies, that's more newsworthy than BR giving $18k - IMO.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but let's be real about making a sacrifice for charity.

Fairplay
01-13-2005, 02:52 AM
Are you making fun of my choice in headwear?

It does stand out a little.

Fairplay
01-13-2005, 02:55 AM
Except when you consider percentages of disposable income. To a household living on $50k, that $75 is a lot of money. It's groceries for a week.

To a "household" of 1 guy making $12 Mill - eh, I'm thinking he could give $11 Mill away and sacrifice significantly in comparison to the family sacrificing $75.

This is why I'm not impressed by a celebrity donating a shitload of cash. If I were to buy a case of girl scout cookies, that's more newsworthy than BR giving $18k - IMO.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but let's be real about making a sacrifice for charity.

I know what you are saying. But calling up the press and saying you donated 50 bucks for the tsunami, won't make the paper. A big name person doing the equivalent of that will. It isn't fair. But what can you do about it?

Phobia
01-13-2005, 03:02 AM
I know what you are saying. But calling up the press and saying you donated 50 bucks for the tsunami, won't make the paper. A big name person doing the equivalent of that will. It isn't fair. But what can you do about it?

I know and I wouldn't want to be in the paper for doing so....

Which is why I'm being judgemental regarding BR's public outcry. I'm not impressed Mr. BR. Not at all.

Mike Grose
01-13-2005, 07:15 AM
"Roethlisberger, the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, has a base salary of $230,000, but also will collect $9 million in signing and roster bonuses by early next year and as much as $2.6 million in first-season performance bonuses. "

Actually, this year he will make 248,000 including the game check he is donating. The 9 million he will collect by early 2006 according to the story. So he will donate 7.26% of his current earnings. Anyone here claim to know how much he donates to other charities?

Keep in mind his agent will still be due a portion of that game check, which will make the cost even higher.

As for making an announcement, as near as I can tell, he didn't hold a press conference. He told his teammates, hoping some of them would do the same.

Seems to me he's a young man that made a generous decision and he's catching more flack here than he deserves.

stevieray
01-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Announcing is what kills it for me. More of a publicity stunt, IMO.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-13-2005, 08:31 AM
As for making an announcement, as near as I can tell, he didn't hold a press conference. He told his teammates, hoping some of them would do the same.

Seems to me he's a young man that made a generous decision and he's catching more flack here than he deserves.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Who'd have guessed posting a thread about a generous act of giving would cause so much debate about how greedy the guy really is. I don't remember anyone ever claiming he was a saint or that he'd have to live a more modest life-style because of his donation. The point is that a guy who can afford it and comes from a walk of life where so many are so greedy, made the decision to help where he saw need. This guy is clearly a leader on and off the field. Instead, he's getting chastised for it. Somehow the fact that he's rich and famous makes it less of a gesture to some people. To me, it just makes him a good guy.

stevieray
01-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Exactly what I was thinking.

Who'd have guessed posting a thread about a generous act of giving would cause so much debate about how greedy the guy really is. I don't remember anyone ever claiming he was a saint or that he'd have to live a more modest life-style because of his donation. The point is that a guy who can afford it and comes from a walk of life where so many are so greedy, made the decision to help where he saw need. This guy is clearly a leader on and off the field. Instead, he's getting chastised for it. Somehow the fact that he's rich and famous makes it less of a gesture to some people. To me, it just makes him a good guy.

Sorry I'm not patting a guy on the back for doing what you're supposed to do.

He couldv'e easily just made the contribution without revealing his name.

Kerberos
01-13-2005, 08:37 AM
I guarantee that once it leaked to the PR department from his agent, his coach or WHOEVER it came from it was out of his hands ... lets face it .. at that level EVERYTHING is blown out of proportion .. why should "THIS" be any different?

:)

Cliff

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-13-2005, 08:38 AM

I understand that. In this case I believe he was challanging his team mates to do the same. I don't see anything wrong with that. Who knows how it was leaked to the media. If Ben made the media contact then yes, it does look like he's doing it for attention. I don't think he did though. I'll do a little more digging.

yunghungwell
01-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Oh, ****! Is this what we have to argue about today. I think that I am just not going to give two shits about this if you all don't mind.

stevieray
01-13-2005, 08:52 AM
Oh, ****! Is this what we have to argue about today. I think that I am just not going to give two shits about this if you all don't mind.

I'll give you one sh*t out of two....you posted.

Saulbadguy
01-13-2005, 08:54 AM
Announcing is what kills it for me. More of a publicity stunt, IMO.
Yep...

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-13-2005, 08:55 AM
I'll give you one sh*t out of two....you posted.
Beat me to it.

DaWolf
01-13-2005, 09:05 AM

It's a nice gesture on his part. The cynic in me however would not be surprised if his agent orchestrated this to get him positive pub and therefore increase his appeal and marketability. Probably not, but with all the games agents and athletes play these days, I wouldn't be surprised.

Regardless, props to the guy and everyone else who donates to a worthy cause...

RNR
01-13-2005, 09:50 AM

He also could have gave more than a rounding number in his monthly bank account. It is a nice thing to do, but is about the same as me handing a twenty out.

yunghungwell
01-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Looks like all charity or good deeds done are only for self-gratification or advancing ones status/agenda. At least according to the opinion of those posting on this board.

Maybe I do give A (one) shit.

I guess that I don't really know what the reasoning is behind Roethlisberger's charity. I am not sure that it really matters to most tsunami victims with the exception of the few nut jobs that would rather die than take charity from Americans.

yunghungwell
01-13-2005, 10:09 AM
He also could have gave more than a rounding number in his monthly bank account. It is a nice thing to do, but is about the same as me handing a twenty out.

If handing out twenties is no big deal...Start slinging the "Jackson's" my direction!

Phobia
01-13-2005, 11:07 AM
"Roethlisberger, the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, has a base salary of $230,000, but also will collect $9 million in signing and roster bonuses by early next year and as much as $2.6 million in first-season performance bonuses. "

Actually, this year he will make 248,000 including the game check he is donating. The 9 million he will collect by early 2006 according to the story. So he will donate 7.26% of his current earnings. Anyone here claim to know how much he donates to other charities?

Keep in mind his agent will still be due a portion of that game check, which will make the cost even higher.

For the record, I'm not really cracking on Roethlesburger (despite messing with his name), I'm talking about the newsworthiness of this "story". Yeah, it seems like a nice thing to do. Kudos to him and thanks. I don't want to hear about it.

Also, for clarification, agents don't draw from players salary. They get a negotiated percentage of the signing bonus.

No, we don't know how much he donates to other charities, but that's likely to be the opening story on ESPN today. By the same token, we don't know how much he makes from endorsements, gambling, and his trust fund either. The fact remains that he's a MULTI Millionare no matter when his bonus is payable.

I'm still unimpressed.

Mile High Mania
01-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Wow... this certainly took a life of its own.

Nobody was bashing Big Ben. I made my initial comment about the networks making a big fuss about it. I seriously doubt that Ben or his agent planned this as a PR move.

I was in my car a lot yesterday and heard it repeatedly on the sports updates. So, I wasn't bashing Ben... I was wondering why the networks were running wild with it as if it was some big deal.

I mean, I understand that talking about Randy Moss' ass gesture to the Packer fans was getting old, but c'mon.

Bottom line ... great gesture, just quit telling me about it on ESPN, FOX and any other sports network.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-13-2005, 12:20 PM
Wow... this certainly took a life of its own.

...and somehow that surprises you???

:)

RedNFeisty
01-13-2005, 02:04 PM

It is a big deal, IMO. A kid straight out of college is giving up $18k to people he has never met. Roethlisberger is not a million dollar athlete, he may be in the very near future, but isn't just yet. I find it to be a grand act of generosity. To me the difference is that he is not a million dollar athlete and he is still a kid. This kid is taking the NFL by storm and he is remaining humble, I like it.

OldTownChief
01-13-2005, 02:14 PM
It is a big deal, IMO. A kid straight out of college is giving up $18k to people he has never met. Roethlisberger is not a million dollar athlete, he may be in the very near future, but isn't just yet. I find it to be a grand act of generosity. To me the difference is that he is not a million dollar athlete and he is still a kid. This kid is taking the NFL by storm and he is remaining humble, I like it.

Roethlisberger, the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, has a base salary of $230,000, but also will collect $9 million in signing and roster bonuses by early next year and as much as $2.6 million in first-season performance bonuses.

RedNFeisty
01-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He will be a millionaire by next year, he is not one yet. :thumb:

Phobia
01-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Quote:
He will be a millionaire by next year, he is not one yet. :thumb:

He's already made over $2 Mill this season and he's making a boatload in appearance fees, jersey fees, endorsements, etc. Each time you see him doing an satellite interview on TV, he's making $10k+. He's a multi-millionare long before he gets his March 1st roster bonus and all his incentive bonuses at the end of the season.

Phobia
01-13-2005, 02:26 PM
http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2005/01/03/daily28.html
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3295982

tk13
01-13-2005, 02:29 PM
I'd believe that Ben publicized this himself, his point seems to be to get other NFL players to match his donation. It could be that's just he is being a showboat getting publicity for himself, and it could be that he genuinely wanted to do something positive by challenging other NFL players to donate a small portion of their overall salaries. If that is indeed the case, he's not going to get the publicity for that without making it public... just like when you see some guy on the local cut-ins on the Jerry Lewis telethon donate 5 bucks and challenge all his co-workers to do the same. I don't know the right answer is and what his real intentions are, but at least I'm open to all the possibilities.

RedNFeisty
01-13-2005, 02:32 PM
He's already made over $2 Mill this season and he's making a boatload in appearance fees, jersey fees, endorsements, etc. Each time you see him doing an satellite interview on TV, he's making $10k+. He's a multi-millionaire long before he gets his March 1st roster bonus and all his incentive bonuses at the end of the season.

LOL.......Damit!! No matter the in's and out's, I still find it to be a class act. I have no clue what he came from, meaning if he came from a wealthy family or what not, the point is that he is a kid straight out of college and he is doing something grand with a cut of his money other then spending it on whores and parting. The kid deserves some kudos.

I hear all day long how celebrities are doing this, that, and the other. I like hearing how younger people are getting into the mix. It is not our responsibility, it is not our obligation, it is our choice.

Phobia
01-13-2005, 02:32 PM
I don't care if Ben manipulates the media in his favor. He would be smart to do so and I don't blame him in the slightest. I just don't think this is newsworthy. Put it on the media. If I were a reporter, I'd have straight up asked him.... "You're making $12,000,000, but only donating $18k to charity? Here, *tink - tinktinktinktink* allow my to match your donation percentage."