PDA

View Full Version : Hey P/C techs. Password question.

stumppy
01-12-2005, 09:02 PM
I know I've seen this on here before but, as we all know, no search function.

Anyways, friend of mine pawned his Dell laptop a few months ago. Finally got it out last week. Trouble is, he has forgot his Windows login password.

Is there any way you can find it in the computer or just bypass it or anything at all he can do ?

Or is he just focked ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S.
Usually I'd just call him a dumbass and go on about my business, but the guy has some serious health problems and he isn't able to do much. His computer is probably his main source of entertainment.

chiefs4me
01-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Are you trying to break into badgirls account? :hmmm:

Kerberos
01-12-2005, 09:14 PM
What operating system is it???

digi2fish
01-12-2005, 09:17 PM
....install another Windows on the same computer...

stumppy
01-12-2005, 09:20 PM
What operating system is it???

XP, home edition with serv. pack 1

He has the instal. disc, but it still asks for the password when you try and re-install.

Coach
01-12-2005, 09:21 PM
I guess might want to try to call Dell and ask them WTF is the password.

Miles
01-12-2005, 09:23 PM
He could do a complete format and re-install. But thats kind of a pain in the ass.

Kerberos
01-12-2005, 09:24 PM
This will only work if he only has a windows password and NOT an Administrators Password..

while you are booting or rebooting push F8 and go into safe mode ...

When you get into safe mode it come up with his account as well as the administrators account... go into the admins account and then you can go to control panel and to users tab and open his personal account and change the password right there ... if he can't get in and you want to wait till tommorow I have an XP boot up disk set that I can email you ... you have to create boot disks and it will help you go in and change the password instead of reloading !

Cliff
rxrider@hotmail.com

OldTownChief
01-12-2005, 09:25 PM
PM me with e-mail addy and I'll send you a password cracking program.

stumppy
He could do a complete format and re-install. But thats kind of a pain in the ass.

That's what I thought I was doing. Popped the disc in,shut down, start, set up, re-install. still asked for the friggin password.

Otter
It's not exactly a walk in the park but it can be done. Here's a good start:

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

If that doesn't work goto bootdisk.com, get a DOS promt and fdisk. Then make sure BIOS is set to boot from CD and insert the restore disc.

KCWolfman
01-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Here
Breaking NT and XP password (http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/)

Pants
01-12-2005, 09:26 PM
I thought you could just go into BIOS and change it. Hmm.

KCWolfman
01-12-2005, 09:27 PM
I thought you could just go into BIOS and change it. Hmm.
That is the PC password, not the software password. Most people don't set the PC password, and if you do, you can reset it with a jumper.

digi2fish
01-12-2005, 09:27 PM
That's what I thought I was doing. Popped the disc in,shut down, start, set up, re-install. still asked for the friggin password.

I don't know about XP, it was possible to install another independent Windows with Windows 2000, and select the one you wish to run on the boot up.

OldTownChief
01-12-2005, 09:28 PM
PM me with e-mail addy and I'll send you a password cracking program.

Never mind it doesn't work for windows logon. There is a way tho, give me a minute.

Kerberos
01-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Ohhhhhh its a Cmos password ???

that would be a little more difficult !!

:)

Cliff

Pants
01-12-2005, 09:30 PM
That is the PC password, not the software password. Most people don't set the PC password, and if you do, you can reset it with a jumper.

Thanks, gotcha.

Kerberos
01-12-2005, 09:33 PM

It might be a little more difficult reseting a jumper on a laptop ????

Maybe you have done it but I know "I" have never seen it done.

:hmmm:

Cliff

teedubya
01-12-2005, 09:35 PM
that password is: WILLYWONKA

hope this helps.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-12-2005, 09:36 PM
One question. Is the guy brain dead? Uh it prompts you to put in a hint in case you forget the password.
The only way I wouldnt do that is if it was a password I used for alot of things. I know this reply aint much help.

How bout poppin out the hard drive. Plugging it in as a slave drive on another computer then reformatting from there. Of course i dont know much about laptops , so I dont even know if this would work. I am sure some guru on here can tell us if this is possible or not.

Kerberos
01-12-2005, 09:36 PM
If all else fails go to killdisk.com and get thier utility that wipes the hard drive clean by writing zeros... then you can reload without problems... if he does't have a floppy on his laptop you will have to use the one that has to be burned to a CD.

Cliff

OldTownChief
01-12-2005, 09:39 PM
I have a file on a floppy, I will track down that you can change the password to "admin". The password recovery program I mentiond earlier if for passwords in applications i.e. Word, Excell, Acess, MS Money, Quicken, etc...

stumppy
01-12-2005, 09:40 PM
One question. Is the guy brain dead? Uh it prompts you to put in a hint in case you forget the password.
The only way I wouldnt do that is if it was a password I used for alot of things. I know this reply aint much help.

He did put in a hint, "buffer". Got any ideas ? He used to be in the gold plating business.

Unfortunately, from the meds he takes his memory ain't what it used to be.

stumppy
01-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys, from all the info on here, one way or another I should be able to get him going.
Very Much Appreciated!!!

OldTownChief
01-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys, from all the info on here, one way or another I should be able to get him going.
Very Much Appreciated!!!

Does the laptop have a floppy and CDROM drive?

stumppy
01-12-2005, 09:47 PM
CDROM

Miles
01-12-2005, 09:48 PM

For that to work you probably would need to do a complete format of the drive so there is nothing at all on it when you do the install. He would need to create a bootable cd with the command prompt and fdisk on it. I dont remember the exact process but its not too hard to find on google if it comes to that.

He probably wouldnt want to mess with that unless he has to.

Kerberos
01-12-2005, 09:52 PM
For that to work you probably would need to do a complete format of the drive so there is nothing at all on it when you do the install. He would need to create a bootable cd with the command prompt and fdisk on it. I dont remember the exact process but its not too hard to find on google if it comes to that.

He probably wouldnt want to mess with that unless he has to.

No floppy then they need to make a bootable CDrom with windows 98 floppy files on it ..

go to fdisk and when you get in you need to tell it to delete the NON-Dos partition..

But if you are going to go through all that problem the could use the kill disk utility to just write zeros ... you actually get a better copy of windows on your hard drive if you write zeros to it first!

IMO

Cliff

OldTownChief
01-12-2005, 09:55 PM
DONT DELETE ANYTHING

OldTownChief
01-12-2005, 09:59 PM
I have a file I will dend you later that will do it. You will need a WinXP install cd and a way to run the file I send you, such as a flash drive or an external CDROM or HD. What you do is boot from the CDROM and select repair at the blue screen (f6) when it ask you to insert the restore disk, you will direct it to the file I send you and it will change the PW to admin. You will not lose any files. I'll send you the file and instructions when I find it here later.

OldTownChief
01-12-2005, 10:30 PM
I sent it to you stumpy, Good Luck. I've used it a few times and it works.