PDA

View Full Version : So much for the storm of the century, ( Perfect Storm )

ROYC75
01-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Remember last week how the weather men all predicted the perfect storm, 3 pressure systems coming together across the central midwest ?

The NW was ..... snow
The SW was ......rain
The Midwest was snow, Ice, etc.
The Ohio Valley was rain, snow, tornatic activty.

It turned out to be a dud, alot of rain and that's all.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Uh...I think that all happened, did it not?

The NW got rain
SW got snow and rain
Midwest got rain, ice
Ohio Valley got severe weather, but no tornadoes that I heard of.
West Coast is getting more rain and mud slides than a frat party.

Well, they weren't dead on accurate, but close, it seems.

Phobia
01-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Yeah - the FBI should immediately round up all meteorologists and Peter King. They're all stealing paychecks.

Dartgod
01-13-2005, 03:31 PM
It was all a conspiracy to soak the field at Gillette Stadium, ensuring that the Patriots get to another Super Bowl.

beavis
01-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Tell that to the people in southern California.

jspchief
01-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Wow. Unbelievable. This has to be the first time a weather man has made something out to be news that really wasn't.

tk13
01-13-2005, 04:13 PM
They just had a story on the local news about how temperatures in Minnesota are supposed to put them in their worst deep freeze in ten years while two people in Arkansas died in tornadoes last night while in Buffalo, NY they had record 70 degree warmth.... southern Indiana has suffered some of the worst flooding in it's history while well over 100,000 people in the northern part of the state lost power due to ice in the past week. Yeah, what a dud of a storm.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-13-2005, 04:15 PM
They just had a story on the local news about how temperatures in Minnesota are supposed to put them in their worst deep freeze in ten years while two people in Arkansas died in tornadoes last night while in Buffalo, NY they had record 70 degree warmth.... southern Indiana has suffered some of the worst flooding in it's history while well over 100,000 people in the northern part of the state lost power due to ice in the past week. Yeah, what a dud of a storm.

Exactly. That's what I was saying, but you did so in more detail. Thank you.

ROYC75
01-13-2005, 04:26 PM
NW and plains was suppose to get alot of snow, ice, the most in recent years, record snow falls.

The west did get lots of rain, mudslides, etc. Did they get the heavy snow in the upper elavations ?

We didn't get the rain and tornatic activity like expected.

Seems like they missed it some.

ROYC75
01-13-2005, 04:29 PM
We have had alot of flooding, due to the 14" of melted snow, alot of rain and warn tempertures.

Damn, the left over snow piles finally melted yesterday , this was the snow from Dec. 21 st !

Hammock Parties
01-13-2005, 04:37 PM
We got some rain here and it's a bit colder. Nothing unusual though.

tk13
01-13-2005, 05:19 PM

I still don't know where you're getting that, places in southern Indiana have had 7-10+ inches of rain in the last week and flooding at historic levels, it just stayed north of you.... and there's reports of deaths and injuries from tornadoes in Arkansas last night, and looking over the National Weather Service's website, there is reports of a couple tornadoes in Missouri yesterday, including one that was a quarter mile wide that left an 18 mile track across the ground....

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/050112_rpts.html

2bikemike
01-13-2005, 05:25 PM
NW and plains was suppose to get alot of snow, ice, the most in recent years, record snow falls.

The west did get lots of rain, mudslides, etc. Did they get the heavy snow in the upper elavations ?

Yeah we got tons of snow in the mountains and lots of rain. The mudslides in the Los Angeles area was probably the biggest problem.

We probably average about 9" of rain a year and I think some one said we have had close to 18" so far this year with several months to go for our rainy season.

2bikemike
01-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Here is from Squaw Valley in Tahoe.

In a really big year, head to the big mountain. Continual storms have left Squaw Valley USA with over 12 feet of new snow in the last 15 days.

2bikemike
01-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Mammoth mountain is claiming 80" of snow for the storm total.

http://www.mammothmountain.com/

Eleazar
01-13-2005, 05:30 PM
What happens when all the variables are in place to get 'the perfect storm'? The Chiefs win the Super Bowl?

2bikemike
01-13-2005, 05:48 PM
What happens when all the variables are in place to get 'the perfect storm'? The Chiefs win the Super Bowl?

I think its going to take more than the perfect storm for that to happen. Something extraordinary like me winning the Lotto!

ROYC75
01-13-2005, 05:51 PM
I was aware of the mudslides out west. Seems to me that they had some wet weather before this perfect storm.

I haven't see any reports of the big snow storms, guessed I missed them on the net or weather reports.

I haven't heard of the tornados till now.... again, I missed that.

The wet weather we had hear in KY and So. In. was mostly atributed due to the snow and ice melting and some rain prior to this perfect storm.

My point is, it was nothing out of the norm when all were talking about it being the worst storms across the country since 1939 . :hmmm:

Sounds like normal weather to me !