PDA

View Full Version : Leinart will return to U.S.C

Joe Seahawk
01-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Just announced

jspchief
01-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Good for him.

Nice to see it's not about the money for once.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 05:07 PM
That's the craziest thing I've heard....

You just never know what next year will bring from a health perspective and he was a lock for one of the top picks if not the #1 overall.

Great for him in going back to college and if they can 3peat, he'll again be a top selection...

It's a big risk.

suds79
01-14-2005, 05:09 PM
You think it's possible Matt didn't want to go to San Fran with how everybody says that's a pretty poor organization with bad ownership?

:hmmm:

They need a QB so bad perhaps they'll be looking to trade down now to get either Smith or Rogers.

Miles
01-14-2005, 05:10 PM
This makes no sense at all.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1964834

LOS ANGELES -- Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Matt Leinart has decided to play his senior season at Southern California and try to lead the Trojans to an unprecedented third straight national championship.

"I realized the opportunity right now to support my family by going to the NFL early, but to me I think college football and this whole atmosphere here and being with my friends and my teammates ... is ultimately more satisfying and will make me happier than any amount of money could make someone happy," Leinart said.

Leinart announced his decision Friday, opting to complete his eligibility rather than enter the NFL draft, where he figured to be one of the top selections and become an instant millionaire.

There was a roar of approval from a crowd of about 500 students and fans jammed into the foyer at Heritage Hall to hear the quarterback's decision.

"I'm smiling," a beaming coach Pete Carroll said after Leinart's announcement.

Leinart has made clear for months his desire to stay in school. He said last August he would definitely return because he loved playing for the Trojans, he needed to get stronger physically and make other improvements.

More recently, he said he was leaning toward returning but would investigate his options.

In the end, Leinart decided the risk of serious injury or a sub-par performance next season was less important than following his heart and enjoying college for another year.

Leinart consulted coaches, friends, teammates, NFL quarterbacks Carson Palmer and Ben Roethlisberger and his parents before announcing his decision.

A 6-foot-5, 225-pound left-hander, Leinart was a third-year sophomore who hadn't thrown a pass for the Trojans when he succeeded Palmer, another Heisman Trophy winner, as USC's quarterback 16½ months ago.

The Trojans have a 25-1 record with Leinart at the controls -- including 13-0 this season. He capped the year by passing for 332 yards and an Orange Bowl-record five touchdowns in USC's resounding 55-19 victory over Oklahoma on Jan. 4.

Leinart's 6,878 career passing yards rank fourth on USC's all-time list, and his 71 TD passes rank second -- one behind Palmer.

All that in just 26 games.

By staying in school, Leinart could become the second player ever to win the Heisman twice. Ohio State running back Archie Griffin accomplished the feat in 1974-75.

USC's only loss in the last two seasons was a 34-31 triple-overtime setback at California on Sept. 27, 2003, in Leinart's fourth game as the Trojans' quarterback.

He overcame a shaky start to go 21-of-39 for 277 yards but was intercepted three times. He has thrown only 12 other interceptions at USC.

Leinart, 21, passed for 3,556 yards and 38 touchdowns with nine interceptions in his first season as the starter, no doubt helped by the presence of talented and experienced wide receivers Mike Williams and Keary Colbert.

As a fourth-year junior this season, throwing to a corps of young, inexperienced wideouts, Leinart passed for 3,322 yards and 33 TDs with six interceptions.

Leinart's return means John David Booty, a former Louisiana prep standout who will be a third-year sophomore next season, will have to wait at least another year to start unless Leinart is injured or he decides to go elsewhere.

Booty is considered a better prospect now than Leinart was when he took over.

The Trojans will have two other highly regarded quarterbacks on the roster next fall in Rocky Hinds, a freshman who redshirted this season, and Mark Sanchez, who will be a freshman. Sanchez, a senior at Mission Viejo, Calif., High who has committed to USC, is considered one of the best prep quarterbacks in the country.

Without Leinart, USC figured to enter next season as the one of the country's highest-ranked teams, if not No. 1, since the majority of its starters this season were underclassmen. With Leinart, it's a virtual certainty the Trojans will be No. 1.

USC will bring a 22-game winning streak into next season -- longest in the country

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 05:12 PM
I imagine he has a hell of an insurance policy with Lloyds of London.

Miles
01-14-2005, 05:15 PM

Any idea how that works? Seems like he would have to pay some serious cash to get the policy. Would his family pay for it or something?

chief52
01-14-2005, 05:16 PM

Yes, but Mel Kiper just explained that those policies only cover career ending injuries. If he blows out a knee and drops to the 4th or 5th round, there will be no insurance payoff.

Good for the kid. One more year at SC. I would imagine being the returning Heisman Trophy winning QB at SC would be a pretty good life.

Joe Seahawk
01-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Man. Just think how good USC will be next year... :shake:

Joe Seahawk
01-14-2005, 05:17 PM
U.S.C. gave him a bigger signing bonus.. :p

jspchief
01-14-2005, 05:17 PM
Any idea how that works? Seems like he would have to pay some serious cash to get the policy. Would his family pay for it or something? There are probably banks lining up to give him a loan to finance it. It's a win win situation.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Yes, but Mel Kiper just explained that those policies only cover career ending injuries. If he blows out a knee and drops to the 4th or 5th round, there will be no insurance payoff.

Good for the kid. One more year at SC. I would imagine being the returning Heisman Trophy winning QB at SC would be a pretty good life.

True, but I bet he has one. McGahee had one and I'm sure 5-10 top college prospects have one each year.

How he pays for it... I dunno, family or family via an agent under the table. I think it's great that he's returning, but damn... he better be 100% confident with the decision and not play scared next season. If he plays scared or with second thoughts, he'll get injured.

Miles
01-14-2005, 05:20 PM

Wow that makes it even more of an unbelievably bad financial decesion.

And why does everyone have to stay in school the year we actually have a decent draft pick? This just shifted everyone up.

Frosty
01-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Man. Just think how good USC will be next year... :shake:

:sulk:

suds79
The insurance policy is useless.

How many guys have injuries and never try again as compared to guys who try to come back.

He only cashes in on the policy if it's career ending. That's how Mel Kiper explained it.

To my understanding then he could blow out his ACL and that stilll wouldn't be good enough considering he'd probably want to come back the following year.

Miles
There are probably banks lining up to give him a loan to finance it. It's a win win situation.

Cool, I forgot he could finance it on future earnings potential.

Joe Seahawk
01-14-2005, 05:24 PM
:sulk:

Looks like The Huskies and Beavers will have to battle it out for 2nd place.. I'm looking forward to checking out the "new" Reser Stadium.. Do we play there in '05?

Mr. Laz
01-14-2005, 05:25 PM
reckless decision

jspchief
01-14-2005, 05:29 PM
reckless decision

Based on your priorities. He obviously doesn't put money at the top of his list. I respect the decision a lot. He's a kid in college, having the time of his life. He'll have plenty of chances to be a grown up down the road.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-14-2005, 05:31 PM
I applaud him.

:clap:

Frosty
01-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Looks like The Huskies and Beavers will have to battle it out for 2nd place.. I'm looking forward to checking out the "new" Reser Stadium.. Do we play there in '05?

I'm not sure. We played in Seattle last year, so probably.

It's going to be tough for the Beavs next year. Still no running game (though we have a kid that transferred from Florida that's supposed to be pretty good), a new QB, and 3/4s of a new secondary. Plus Swancutt and Pollard are gone. Lots of talent to be replaced.

Do you think TW can turn the Huskies around in a year? It didn't seem like you had much talent of offense.

It's funny, but I get to see a few UDub games every year, because my youngest boy is a big fan (because he likes huskies - the dogs :) ). They are third on my list after OSU and Wazzu (my brother went there).

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-14-2005, 05:34 PM
reckless decision
Getting a college degree is never a reckless decision. Placing your priorities on something long term instead of on something fleeting is the right thing to do imo. Sure, he can go to the NFL and still continue his education later.... but how realisitc is that? How difficult would that be? He's a great example for all underclassmen.

jspchief
01-14-2005, 05:41 PM
You gotta be shitting me. You really think he's getting a degree that's worth a shit? The career preparation he's getting at USC is to be a professional football player. He's in a position now to embark on that career. All he does by returning for another year is place that career in jeopardy.

Sticking around to go for a third straight nat championship is chasing something fleeting.

You really think it would matter what degree he got? he'll be the golden boy that all the rich alums want on their payroll. Forget about about trophy wives, this is your very own heisman trophy boy. He'll have people lining up to overpay him for a job he's under-qualified for.

suds79
01-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Last year Eli got 20 mil just to sign the paper, if Matt gets hurt and drops a round, who knows how many millions that decision would of cost him.

It's his decision so I don't care but I don't think it's very wise.

tk13
01-14-2005, 05:46 PM
I don't understand why everybody (not this board, just football fans in general) seem to be so critical of him for making this decision. I don't remember anything approaching this kinda reaction when Eli Manning came back for one more year, and he probably could've been a top 5-10 pick after his junior year.... it's a definite risk though, but if he doesn't think he's ready, then he probably shouldn't be coming out I guess.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Getting a college degree is never a reckless decision. Placing your priorities on something long term instead of on something fleeting is the right thing to do imo. Sure, he can go to the NFL and still continue his education later.... but how realisitc is that? How difficult would that be? He's a great example for all underclassmen.

Many players go back and get a degree... it's not tough. Most is online or via a tutor or something. Yes, he always has the rich alums to fall back on.. but, what would that have to do with him having a degree?

He could quit now... flame out in the NFL - see Ryan Leaf - and still have alums willing to give him a cush job.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-14-2005, 05:48 PM
You gotta be shitting me. You really think he's getting a degree that's worth a shit? The career preparation he's getting at USC is to be a professional football player. He's in a position now to embark on that career. All he does by returning for another year is place that career in jeopardy.

Sticking around to go for a third straight nat championship is chasing something fleeting.
Ah...you never know he may want to do something with his life after football. Maybe he values being able to do it with his brain instead of his name.

Pure craziness.

:)

jspchief
01-14-2005, 05:48 PM
Well, at least you and I can agree the degree he's "working" on isn't worth the paper it's gonna be printed on.

Which job do you think will pay better? First round pick NFL QB, or the bogus job you described.

Still sounds to me like the best career move is to go to the NFL now. Hell, if what you say is true, he could get the bogus job two or three years down the road if he's an NFL bust.

You obviously missed the part where he said the money wasn't the most important thing.

I'm sure he'll be completely miserable if he winds up with some crappy 400k a year job, supplementing his income with ridiculous public speaking fees.

Basically all he's doing is taking a chance on whether he's really rich, or just rich.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 05:49 PM
I don't understand why everybody (not this board, just football fans in general) seem to be so critical of him for making this decision. I don't remember anything approaching this kinda reaction when Eli Manning came back for one more year, and he probably could've been a top 5-10 pick after his junior year.... it's a definite risk though, but if he doesn't think he's ready, then he probably shouldn't be coming out I guess.

I'm not bashing the guy... he's been in college 4 years already and is likely just hours away from a degree. I think it's stupid for guys to come out early if they have a fear of being a second day draft selection.

If you have the chance of being a top 5 pick... I think you're taking a huge risk in not going pro, and that's in any sport. You can always go back and get your degree. Again, he's a 4th year junior... I would think he's pretty close from a credits perspective to that degree in Physical Education or whatever it is.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Mile High Mania is a genius.

Thanks, but... that's not the Chiefs Planet spelling.

tk13
01-14-2005, 05:51 PM
I missed that thread, I guess.
Well like I said I didn't mean this board specifically, it just seems like guys like Peyton and Eli and Tim Duncan get all kinds of praise for finishing school and Leinart does it and fans are worried and we've got Mel Kiper telling us about his insurance policy. I personally don't care, if I were in his shoes I wouldn't come back either, but more power to him I guess.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Ah...you never know he may want to do something with his life after football. Maybe he values being able to do it with his brain instead of his name.

Pure craziness.

:)

Hell, let's put him right up there with Big Ben as a candidate for the 2005 Humanitarian Award.

Again, I'm not bashing him ... great story ... one that I hope the media runs with, but it's really risky.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Well like I said I didn't mean this board specifically, it just seems like guys like Peyton and Eli and Tim Duncan get all kinds of praise for finishing school and Leinart does it and fans are worried and we've got Mel Kiper telling us about his insurance policy.

I don't think anyone is bashing him ... it's just insane to comprehend when you consider the risks.

jspchief
01-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Obviously. I didn't hear him say shit.
Oh, well here's his quote, taken from the article that is on the first page of this thread.
"I realized the opportunity right now to support my family by going to the NFL early, but to me I think college football and this whole atmosphere here and being with my friends and my teammates ... is ultimately more satisfying and will make me happier than any amount of money could make someone happy," Leinart said.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 06:03 PM
jspchief... you still haven't answered my question

Deberg_1990
01-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Wow, im really surpised he chose to stay in school?? He must have some really sweet poon waiting for him back on campus?? Lucky Bastard!

jspchief
01-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Why? What of anything that I've posted would lead you to believe that?

My posts thus far have related to a few simple facts

*He is in a position now to enter the draft and embark on an NFL career
*He is choosing not to
*As a star quarterback at a major Div I school that just won a NC, there's a decent chance that in his college career his focus may have been more on athletics than academics

It's just that you were saying he made a bad decision, because he choice could lead to less money. Since he said that money wasn't the top priority, your argument doesn't hold water. Maybe you or I wouldn't do it that way, but he can't be wrong because it's simply his personal preference.

Dr. Johnny Fever
So, you do believe that the degree he's "earning" is worth something, then?

I suppose it's *possible* that the starting QB for USC, who just won two straight NCs has been taking his classes seriously... really studying hard... trying to make his degree "real"... Somehow, I just don't find it very likely.
cynic.

jspchief
jspchief... you still haven't answered my question
I must have missed it. What question?

jspchief
01-14-2005, 06:14 PM
That's silly.

The decision he's making isn't the smart career move. Whether he's the greediest f*ck in the world, or wants to live a bohemian lifestyle on the street doesn't have any bearing whatsoever on that statement.

Bullsh*t. "Smart career move" doesn't automatically mean "move that pays the best". The world is full of people that choose paths that pay less and provide happiness. People do things that make them happy. That doesn't always equate to money.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 06:14 PM
I must have missed it. What question?

Many players go back and get a degree... it's not tough. Most is online or via a tutor or something. Yes, he always has the rich alums to fall back on.. but, what would that have to do with him having a degree?

He could quit now... flame out in the NFL - see Ryan Leaf - and still have alums willing to give him a cush job.
----------

My question was kind of hidden...

DaneMcCloud
01-14-2005, 06:17 PM
Hey guys, with any luck, he'll play just poorly enough to fall to the Chiefs in the first round next year!

Dane
~Wishful thinking...

Miles
01-14-2005, 06:18 PM
You dont see regular people get commended for hanging around longer at school and partying while puting their career on hold. He has spend four years in college already and has pretty much already graduated. Unlike guys like Eli he already has a national championship and a heisman.

Red Dawg
01-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Stupid decision. He must be afraid to enter the real world. He could lose everything with injury

Ultra Peanut
01-14-2005, 06:23 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/fsquid/24c2b2f9.jpg
"Money can't buy happiness."

Mr. Laz
01-14-2005, 06:44 PM
i am thinking long term ... like snagging that 20 million dollar signing bonus and setting you and your WHOLE family up for life before something bad happens.

telling him to stay for his degree sounds all good and righteous until something goes wrong..

if your a top 5 pick ... you go, period!

football is a rough sport, players get hurt all the time

grab it while it's hot, get the degree later.

Brock
01-14-2005, 06:56 PM
What a dumbass.

Calcountry
01-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Just announced
Dummy. :shake:

Calcountry
01-14-2005, 08:06 PM
I hate when I agree with lazarus. It always makes me feel so dirty.
Hey, you are starting to sound like Jenny Gump.

Sure-Oz
01-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Idiot, get the money while you can wow!

jspchief
01-14-2005, 09:21 PM

----------

My question was kind of hidden...

I didn't realize it was directed at me since you quoted Beer me.

I didn't say it has anything to do with him getting a degree. I was just offering that in response to Endelt's comment about him not getting much of an education. My point was, I think his future will be set regardless because being a star QB at a big time college tends to pave a career path for you even if it isn't football related. You think Eric Crouch is scraping by right now? He's probably back in Lincoln making a decent living off his name alone.

jspchief
01-14-2005, 09:29 PM
If his desired career is to play pro ball... and he has the opportunity to embark on that career now... or, he can stay in college another year, risking possibly never having that pro ball career... which is the "smart career move"?

I guess you may be right as far as his career to an extent. I just look at a career move as being more than just the paycheck you bring home. In terms of how he's chosen to live his life, maybe he's decided that for now he'd rather enjoy himself, knowing that worst case scenario is that he could face is pretty good life (not playing football).

Miles
01-14-2005, 09:56 PM
I guess you may be right as far as his career to an extent. I just look at a career move as being more than just the paycheck you bring home. In terms of how he's chosen to live his life, maybe he's decided that for now he'd rather enjoy himself, knowing that worst case scenario is that he could face is pretty good life (not playing football).

Crouch is a bit of a diferent situation since he wasnt going to be able to play the position he wanted to and he wasnt really turning down a huge amount of money. He had no iterest in playing special teams for defense so he quit.

I see where youre coming from but with Leinart he is just delaying his career and taking a huge risk while doing so. If he had no desire to play pro ball it would be a competly diferent thing.

Mile High Mania
01-14-2005, 09:57 PM
You think Eric Crouch is scraping by right now? He's probably back in Lincoln making a decent living off his name alone.

This is essentially my argument...

With or without the degree ... he could get injured now or go pro and fail and he is set for life.

So, knowing this and knowing he is a 4th year junior, likely a semester (if that) away from his degree... why not go pro? Why risk all that?

He probably needs 10-12 credits to graduate... he can do that in an offseason 4 years from now and have that coveted degree.

I'm not denouncing the degree, but he's in an interesting situation...

jspchief
01-14-2005, 10:00 PM
This is essentially my argument...

With or without the degree ... he could get injured now or go pro and fail and he is set for life.

So, knowing this and knowing he is a 4th year junior, likely a semester (if that) away from his degree... why not go pro? Why risk all that?

He probably needs 10-12 credits to graduate... he can do that in an offseason 4 years from now and have that coveted degree.

I'm not denouncing the degree, but he's in an interesting situation...

Thats fine. It's just that I wasn't the one saying he was doing it for the degree.

Skip Towne
01-14-2005, 10:09 PM
I used to be staunchly in the "stay in school" camp. Not any more. Get the money while it is there. It may not be later. OU had a white QB (one of very few) that ran their Wishbone for awhile. He was a star and a celebrity of sorts. He went pro as a DB and didn't do well. Four or five years later he went back to OU for a game and they wouldn't let him in the Stadium Club. GET THE MONEY WHILE IT IS THERE.

Manila-Chief
01-15-2005, 04:21 AM
I have a selfish reason for him to declare now .... one of the first 14 teams will take him and that will drop a player down to us.

But, in reality ... if he can get several million as a signing bonus ... he can inverst the money and that would be his career. I really do care what he does. It would have been helpful to us had he come out.

PatriotofMaine
01-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Huge mistake on his part. He would have been the number one pick this year, and now he is risking injury for nothing. I mean what does he have left to prove at the college level??

Mr. Laz
01-15-2005, 10:14 AM
If it was any other sport i could probably see staying in school, but not football where the norm IS TO GET HURT.

not only is this a reckless decision for himself, but for his family.

seems like he's afraid to face the real world (which is understandable)

if you have a chance to set yourself and your family up for life and pretty much all you have to do is say "Yes" then you do it.

no insurance policy or degree is going to make up for missing that initial 20 million dollar signing bonus and 45 million dollar contract. Not to mention have a professional football team make a huge commitment to your success.

if you get injury and go back to the draft the following year ... maybe go in the 2nd round instead, the team isn't going to have near the investment and you may just lose your chance because so other Quarterback gets the lucky break.

his decision borders on insanity

RINGLEADER
01-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Stupid.

Brock
01-15-2005, 12:56 PM
The guy would have been drafted by SF, Miami, or Cleveland. The first two are places where he would be playing in huge markets. The third is one of the great towns to be a football player in. All would be paying him millions and millions. Waiting until next year just ensures he'll be drafted in a smaller market, thus making less overall money. This guy is getting some real bad advice.

stevieray
01-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Now I know why athletes get paid stupid money, and why eighteen year olds get 50 million dollar endorsements.

This guy doesn't owe the NFL or anyone else anything.

Thig Lyfe
01-15-2005, 01:21 PM
That's the craziest thing I've heard....

You just never know what next year will bring from a health perspective and he was a lock for one of the top picks if not the #1 overall.

Great for him in going back to college and if they can 3peat, he'll again be a top selection...

It's a big risk.

It's a no-win for him in terms of public opinion.

If he delcares, there are people who will say that its all about the money and that he doesn't care about education blah blah blah

If he doesn't declare, there are people (as we can see) that think he's crazy, risking it millions of dollars and injury for one more year with his teammates.

I personally commend him for doing what he wants and not making money the only issue.