PDA

View Full Version : Is there LEGAL MP3 Downloading?

Mr. Kotter
01-15-2005, 03:12 PM
mp3 fans and any legal minds here at CP, I've got a question:

Are services that charge an annual fee, or a higher "one time" fee, LEGAL? Or do you have to pay PER SONG, as through Rhapsody, Walmart, or IPOD?

(I know there are some older threads about this, but with the search function still out of commission.....I'm too lazy to dig for 'em.....)

I've come across some one-time flat fee sites, that appear to be reincarnations of Napster....except you pay $50 or so, and download unlimited songs. Seems to good to be true, so I'm wonderin'....I can't access the fine print of their "100% Legal" policy, until you join.

For example:

http://www.mp3downloading.com/mdn/index.asp?revshare=empty&siteid=empty&keyb=empty

http://www.mp3advance.com/newuser_frm.php

Are these sites LEGIT?

:hmmm:

|Zach|
01-15-2005, 03:15 PM
I personally do not trust sites of that nature. It does not come from me interacting with them but they just do not seem legit to me. I guess I still dig ITunes to much as well...

Mr. Kotter
01-15-2005, 03:18 PM
I personally do not trust sites of that nature. It does not come from me interacting with them but they just do not seem legit to me. I guess I still dig ITunes to much as well...

That's my inclination too.....but how can they advertise "100% Legal!"

Anyone know for sure??? :(

|Zach|
01-15-2005, 03:19 PM
That's my inclination too.....but how can they advertise "100% Legal!"

Anyone know for sure??? :(
It is the interweb. I would go with your gut feeling.

LiL stumppy
01-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Just download WinMX and use it.

Ultra Peanut
01-15-2005, 03:28 PM
but how can they advertise "100% Legal!"SuperWangGrower 3000 is "100% Effective, GUARANTEED," too.

patteeu
01-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Subscription based services like the new Napster are definitely legal. The only question I'd have is whether or not there are any digital media rights mechanisms built into the downloaded files that can make them expire when your subscription is over. I doubt it, but it's something to check into.

dirk digler
01-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Yes there is legal mp3 downloading. Alot of indie bands and some well known musicians put there music out on the web for free. Basically just to say fug you to the RIAA.

Eleazar
01-15-2005, 04:15 PM
I just use iTunes.

I could use one of these shady services, get a bunch of spyware on my computer, search around for an hour and end up with a bunch of dead downloads, files that wont play, misnamed files, poor quality, etc.

Or I can load up iTunes and get the song I want almost instantly.

Obviously people were never going to stop pirating music of their own volition. But iTunes has the right idea. They've made it quicker and easier to just go through them.

MadMax
01-15-2005, 04:55 PM

Yep! :thumb:

Iowanian
01-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Will Winmx share IP info?

There was alot of crap on it last time I used it..fake files, viruses..

Mr. Kotter
01-15-2005, 04:58 PM

How about Spyware? Is it like Kzaa, loaded with the stuff? :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
01-15-2005, 05:00 PM
I just use iTunes.

I could use one of these shady services, get a bunch of spyware on my computer, search around for an hour and end up with a bunch of dead downloads, files that wont play, misnamed files, poor quality, etc.

Or I can load up iTunes and get the song I want almost instantly.

Obviously people were never going to stop pirating music of their own volition. But iTunes has the right idea. They've made it quicker and easier to just go through them.

Initially, that's what I thought; but the mp3downloading.com site.....SAYS no spyware, AND they have a "secure" transmission software program (similar to peer guardian, I think) that comes with the initial download.

go bo
01-15-2005, 05:03 PM
How about Spyware? Is it like Kzaa, loaded with the stuff? :hmmm:i've downloaded several things with "integrated" adware and spyware...

adaware and spybot seem to clean everything up just fine, and i haven't had any probles at all...

even cleaned up the google bar for ie...

my son has winmx and he just ran adaware and spybot to clean up after he downloaded it and has had no problems...

Mr. Kotter
01-15-2005, 06:04 PM
i've downloaded several things with "integrated" adware and spyware...

adaware and spybot seem to clean everything up just fine, and i haven't had any probles at all...

even cleaned up the google bar for ie...

my son has winmx and he just ran adaware and spybot to clean up after he downloaded it and has had no problems...

So, you think if I download the software, and clean it up with spybot and adware...that it would work. Okay.

Do you think it's 'legal?' :shrug:

LiL stumppy
01-15-2005, 06:43 PM
How about Spyware? Is it like Kzaa, loaded with the stuff? :hmmm:

No I used morpheus befor and it had spyware.But I use this and havn't found any on my computer and my friend uses it and doesn't have a problem with it.

Ultra Peanut
01-15-2005, 07:03 PM
I still miss Audiogalaxy.

Alec R
01-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Lots of legal places. All you have to pay for. Free places are illegal.

Bit torrents baby.

alanm
01-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Lots of legal places. All you have to pay for. Free places are illegal.

Bit torrents baby.Alec, is there anyother sites out there that are any good besides Bi Torrent.com? Zach turned me on to that site but I was wondering if there were any others out there that were better?

Taco John
01-15-2005, 07:54 PM
I like Soulseek...

go bo
01-15-2005, 08:25 PM
So, you think if I download the software, and clean it up with spybot and adware...that it would work. Okay.

Do you think it's 'legal?' :shrug:i don't know for sure, but if you're paying something for it, it probably is as far as you're concerned (but i don't know for sure), even if the site/ptp thing is in violation in some way...

Chiefsrocker
01-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Being a DJ, I am always looking for "free" songs! I used Napster for a long time. When it closed down, I went to Morpheus. When Morph went down, I went over to Kazaa. It work great for quite a while until all the bogus files and looped songs were everywhere. I went back to Morpheus, and don't have any probs at all. I use Spybot to kill the adware, but don't get much of that now either. Heck, if any of you need a song, give me a shout. Have a huge selection. If I have it, I'll e-mail it! Virus and adware free!! LOL

StcChief
01-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Limewire isn't bad. Cleanup songs after download.
P2P so it depends on music sources.

Mr. Kotter
01-16-2005, 12:01 AM
I like Soulseek...

I'll check it out, TJ. Thanks.

KS Smitty
01-16-2005, 12:04 AM
I'll check it out, TJ. Thanks.
:Lin: :Lin: :Lin: taking advice from a :Broncos: fan????? :harumph: :shake: :(

j/k (to both of you) :)

Mr. Kotter
01-16-2005, 12:09 AM
:Lin: :Lin: :Lin: taking advice from a :Broncos: fan????? :harumph: :shake: :(

j/k (to both of you) :)

I know. I do feel dirty about it... ROFL

go bo
01-16-2005, 12:41 AM
I know. I do feel dirty about it... ROFLas well you should, young man...

|Zach|
01-16-2005, 01:43 AM
I like Soulseek...
Couldn't agree more...make the 5 dollar donation...

Mr. Kotter
01-31-2005, 03:42 PM
Anyone KNOW any thing about this???

I'm hearing all sorts of conflicting stuff.... :shrug:

Saulbadguy
01-31-2005, 03:45 PM
Anyone KNOW any thing about this???

I'm hearing all sorts of conflicting stuff.... :shrug:
The one time flat fee shit is usually a scam. I wouldn't do it. Go with a reputable service, like iTunes.

KC Jones
01-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Free places are illegal.

That's false. Some musicians release a few songs on the internet for free now. Some release all of their music for free.

Mr. Kotter
01-31-2005, 04:14 PM
The one time flat fee shit is usually a scam. I wouldn't do it. Go with a reputable service, like iTunes.

That's my gut too; iTunes....guess I'll have to check it out.

htismaqe
01-31-2005, 04:20 PM
I'd be wary of some of the p-to-p apps out there too...

A person here in the office just got busted by the FBI...$3500...