PDA

View Full Version : Hicks a major defensive liability?

Mr. Laz
01-16-2005, 01:19 PM
the more i watch other teams ... the more i notice that Eric Hicks isn't getting the job done in comparison. His inability to contain on the outside, while at the same time getting a push into the pocket, is just killing us.

it makes the jobs of our linebackers alot harder ... it even hurts our secondary because they are contantly have to look to help in containment.

while i was looking up Hick's numbers i noticed how utterly pathetic Sim's stat line was. :shake: So i included it.

Name Year Team ___________ G Tot Tckl Ast Scks
Hicks 2004 Kansas City Chiefs 16 32 26.0 06 05
Sims 2004 Kansas City Chiefs 15 15 13.0 02 02

here's the numbers from other left defensive ends from some other defenses in the league. Keep in mind that the sheer number of defensive plays for the chiefs defense is HUGE because the defense stayed on the field so long, therefore Hicks and Sims actually have more plays to accumulate tackles/assts and sacks.

Name Year Team G Tot Tck Ast Scks
Patrick Kearney 2004 Atlanta Falcons 16 66 54.0 12 13
Greg Spires 2004 Tampa Bay Buc 16 60 45.0 15 08
Ty Warren 2004 New Engla Pats 16 48 38.0 10 3.5
Aaron Smith 2004 Pitts. Steelers 16 43 31.0 12 08
Tony Weaver 2004 Baltimore Raven 16 39 35.0 04 04
Chris Kelsay 2004 Buffalo Bills 16 37 22.0 15 4.5
Renaldo Wynn 2004 Wash. Redskins 16 37 30.0 07 03
Eric Hicks 2004 Kan City Chiefs 16 32 26.0 06 05
Marco Coleman 2004 Denver Broncos 16 28 21.0 07 2.5

Rain Man
01-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Yes.

Hammock Parties
01-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Hicks is solid against the run but I think he's average at best as a pass rusher, and gets dominated by upper tier offensive linemen.

The main reason I want him replaced is getting a bookend to compliment Jared Allen will really open things up for the rest of the D.

Hicks is better than Vonnie Holliday, but as htismaqe says, > bad /= good.

PastorMikH
01-16-2005, 01:34 PM
I'd have agreed about Hicks as a liability without you putting up those stats.

Problem is, they keep rewarding players for mediocre play.

Mr. Laz
01-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Hicks is solid against the run

the numbers don't show that he's solid against the run?

he had a ton more chances and still doesn't have the tackles to show for it.

we can't really just cut hicks because he just got a new contract, but i think he prolly needs to lose his starting job.

slide hicks to backup, move Browning over to starting LDE.

Hammock Parties
01-16-2005, 02:33 PM
the numbers don't show that he's solid against the run?

he had a ton more chances and still doesn't have the tackles to show for it.

we can't really just cut hicks because he just got a new contract, but i think he prolly needs to lose his starting job.

slide hicks to backup, move Browning over to starting LDE.

I don't put much stock in tackles by defensive linemen. I was more referring to his ability to hold up a blocker and not get his ass kicked against the run.

I don't think Browning is the answer either. We need a pass rusher over there to complement Allen.

Bowser
01-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Yes, he is a liabillity.

Yes, his skills have declined noticably.

Yes, he is a "profile" guy, and because of that, will be our starting LDE in 2005.

:shake:

Deberg_1990
01-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Yes, he is a liabillity.

Yes, his skills have declined noticably.

Yes, he is a "profile" guy, and because of that, will be our starting LDE in 2005.

:shake:

Damnit!!! Dont say that!! I dont want to hear that!!!

If Hicks is are starting LDE and MAZ or Beisel are our starting MLB. Ill make a bold prediction. 8-8 finish next year.

redfan
01-16-2005, 03:32 PM
I thought Hicks would have more of an impact this year because he was coming back to familiar D scheme in Gun's. It didn't happen.
He's a good guy, a "DV man of character" and all, but cut his azz. Too much money tied up in an aging lineman.

redfan
01-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Oh, and he'll be starting next year.

DTLB58
01-16-2005, 03:50 PM
You had to compare other DE in the league to realize Hicks wasn't playing up to snuff?

And yet when Vermeil had his last press conference of the season and talked about team captains he said Eric Hicks was the D captain of the year and it was so fitting because he had a such a great season! :shake:

HC_Chief
01-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Oh, and he'll be starting next year.
I bet you're right. He had ONE good year over his entire career... been coasting off of it ever since. Worst part is he's the <i>defensive captain</i>..... and was voted DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR (again).

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

Hammock Parties
01-16-2005, 04:14 PM
I bet you're right. He had ONE good year over his entire career... been coasting off of it ever since. Worst part is he's the <i>defensive captain</i>..... and was voted DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR (again).

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

Hicks had 9 sacks in another year, so not exactly.

Mr. Laz
01-16-2005, 04:22 PM
I don't put much stock in tackles by defensive linemen. I was more referring to his ability to hold up a blocker and not get his ass kicked against the run.

I don't think Browning is the answer either. We need a pass rusher over there to complement Allen.

i just showed the stats because some people don't wanna believe it without them.

beyond the numbers... hicks didn't get a good push or do a good job containing.

starting the season with holliday and hicks was just death for our defense this year.

milkman
01-16-2005, 06:10 PM
i just showed the stats because some people don't wanna believe it without them.

beyond the numbers... hicks didn't get a good push or do a good job containing.

starting the season with holliday and hicks was just death for our defense this year.

And finishing the season with Hicks at end and Sims at tackle was.....what's worse than death?....Hell?.....for our D.

I guess in the end, the offseason isn't going to make a bit of difference unless the guys.....morons?.....making the decisions realize just how many liabilities there are starting in this D unit.

It took an injury to Holliday to bring these guys to the realization he just wasn't getting it done.