PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Niners New Ninny

Phobia
01-17-2005, 12:40 PM
You heard it here first.

Phobia
01-17-2005, 12:43 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/SF/8108274

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (Jan. 17, 2005) -- Baltimore defensive coordinator Mike Nolan accepted the San Francisco 49ers' head coaching position and began to negotiate a contract to take over the team that had the NFL's worst record last season.

Nolan, a longtime coordinator for four teams who has never been a head coach, will replace Dennis Erickson, fired earlier in the month after going 9-23 in two seasons out of the playoffs. San Francisco went 2-14 this season.

After wowing 49ers owner John York in an interview, Nolan accepted the offer and flew to York's home in Ohio to work out a contract.

"(York) had a good strong list of candidates, and they felt that Mike was the perfect candidate to lead us into the future," 49ers spokesman Kirk Reynolds said.

Nolan earned the chance to follow in the footsteps of his father, Dick, who went 54-53-5 in eight seasons as the 49ers coach from 1968-75, winning three straight division championships and reaching two NFC title games while getting the first playoff wins in franchise history.

Mike Nolan, 45, has been in charge of the Ravens' powerful defense since 2001, following stints as the coordinator with the New York Jets (2000), Washington (1997-99) and the New York Giants (1993-96). Baltimore ranked sixth in the NFL in total defense last season.

General manager Terry Donahue was fired along with Erickson, and Nolan will have a hand in picking Donahue's successor as York rebuilds the once-proud franchise, which will have the top pick in the next draft.

York, who didn't return a call seeking comment, has said he planned to hire a coach with broad powers, supplemented by a general manager who concentrates on salary cap issues.

Nolan will be the 15th head coach in 49ers history.

Nolan was interviewed by York and two of the few remaining members of the 49ers' front office. He beat out four other candidates: New England defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, thought to be Cleveland's top choice; Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis; and Tennessee coordinators Mike Heimerdinger and Jim Schwartz.

Southern California coach Pete Carroll, thought to be York's top choice after he fired Erickson, apparently was never contacted by the 49ers after initially saying he wasn't interested.

Nolan is a protege of Dan Reeves, who hired the former Oregon safety for his first NFL job with the Denver Broncos in 1987. He was a hot candidate for several head coaching spots in recent years, but his star had cooled slightly until the 49ers became interested.

Hoover
01-17-2005, 12:44 PM
So I wonder how this will impact Julian Peterson?

chief52
01-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Hiring a head coach and then a GM...seems kinda strange to me.

Phobia
01-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Hiring a head coach and then a GM...seems kinda strange to me.

That's my thought as well.

Maybe they had to hire Nolan before somebody else took him.

Eleazar
01-17-2005, 01:03 PM
that sucks. would this increase the chances they go defense instead of QB like most people are thinking?

Frankie
01-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Wasn't there a Dick Nolan who was the 49ers HC in the early 70s? Any relation?

CHIEF4EVER
01-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Nolan Niners New Ninny

Truly Nolan?

Frankie
01-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Wasn't there a Dick Nolan who was the 49ers HC in the early 70s? Any relation?

NEVER MIND!! :doh!: :redface: I just re-read the article and got my answer.