PDA

View Full Version : Unforgivable Blackness

Bob Dole
01-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Anyone else watching the Ken Burns documentary about Jack Johnson on PBS?

FloridaChief
01-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Yep...

FloridaChief
01-17-2005, 09:12 PM
We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts.

jspchief
01-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Just got done watching it, it was reallly good. A great story.

It's really boggling the level of racism that existed in those days. This guy should get more recognition in regards to the advancement of racial equality.

Valiant
01-17-2005, 11:14 PM
didnt get to see it..but i own the ken burns civil war series on dvd.. that guy knows how to make documentries..

teedubya
01-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Ken Burns > Mr. Burns + Mr. Smithers

Miles
01-17-2005, 11:59 PM
They are reairing it at 3am here so if you missed it and are interested you may want to check your guide.

Bob Dole
01-18-2005, 07:09 AM
It airs again tonight at 8pm central on the PBS affiliate here.

As with Burn's other work, it's worth the time to watch.

mlyonsd
01-18-2005, 07:33 AM
Great documentary. I learned a lot. He'd easily have to be considered as one of the best ever.

The way he toyed with that guy to win his first championship of the world was amazing. On the news reels you could actually see him laughing and smiling at the crowd while beating the crap out of that guy.

His personal life was actually the most interesting part of the entire documentary.

Skip Towne
01-18-2005, 08:07 AM
didnt get to see it..but i own the ken burns civil war series on dvd.. that guy knows how to make documentries..
Yeah, and he can spell documentary too.

jspchief
01-18-2005, 08:54 AM
It airs again tonight at 8pm central on the PBS affiliate here.

As with Burn's other work, it's worth the time to watch.

Actually, I think it's part two of the documentary that airs tonight. They ended last night's kind of abrubtly with a comment that had a definate "to be continued" ring to it.

Bob Dole
01-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Actually, I think it's part two of the documentary that airs tonight. They ended last night's kind of abrubtly with a comment that had a definate "to be continued" ring to it.

Makes sense. Bob Dole also though the ending was a bit abrupt...

MOhillbilly
01-18-2005, 09:09 AM
The way he toyed with that guy to win his first championship of the world was amazing. On the news reels you could actually see him laughing and smiling at the crowd while beating the crap out of that guy.

uh did you see the size diffrence, today it would be considered a middleweight vs. heavyweight. No wonder the white guy ran for years.

Jenny Gump
01-18-2005, 11:04 AM
I watched it. Great show. I am sort of preoccupied with that time period of Jack Johnson.

Brock
01-18-2005, 11:13 AM
uh did you see the size diffrence, today it would be considered a middleweight vs. heavyweight. No wonder the white guy ran for years.

The white guy was retired and had spent six years as an alfalfa farmer. The two fighters were almost the same weight and height, in fact the white fighter was taller and heavier.

KCFalcon59
01-18-2005, 11:49 AM
http://www.pbs.org/unforgivableblackness/

Very interesting stuff.

MOhillbilly
01-18-2005, 12:12 PM
The white guy was retired and had spent six years as an alfalfa farmer. The two fighters were almost the same weight and height, in fact the white fighter was taller and heavier.

the guy from canada was alot smaller.tommy burns? thats the one im talking about i had to go and didnt catch any of it after 9 cst.