PDA

View Full Version : Top OLBs for the 2005 NFL Draft...

PatriotofMaine
01-18-2005, 07:38 AM
Which of these guys do we like in:

1. The first round
2. The second round
3. The 3-6th rounds
4. 7th or RFA.

Outside Linebackers for the 2005 Draft
-Seniors and declared underclassmen

Analysis: A decent year for linebackers with good depth. The verdict is mixed on most of these guys, but Derrick Johnson is a rare athlete, but might get pushed around a little in the NFL. They all have there strengths and weaknesses with kind of a mixed bag.

1. LB Derrick Johnson, 6-4, 230, Texas
As a 2002 first-team All-Big 12 selection, Johnson led the Longhorns in tackles (108), solo tackles (71), tackles for loss (17), fumble recoveries (3) and has two sacks, seven pass breakups and caused a fumble. His four interceptions in 2003 are a UT season record for linebackers while his eight career picks also are a Longhorn linebacker best, so he is obviously good in coverage. Don’t think he can’t tackle, he lead his team in tackles last year with 125 and 78 solo tackles. At 6' 4" and 220 pounds he has ideal height with frame to easily add more muscle, which he will need to add to be effective in the NFL. He was smart to come back for his senior year. Johnson has created a lot of fumbles with his patented strip move but he hasn't dominated games tackling. He was a non factor in Texas's bowl game against Michigan.

2. LB Kevin Burnett, 6-3, 237, SR, Tennessee
Maybe the best player to come from the Volunteer state since Payton Manning. In 2003 Kevin was first team All-ACC and American Football Coaches Association AFCA Good Works Team. Kevin underwent reconstructive left knee surgery in October 2002 but made it back strong in 2003. In the season opener against Fresno State, he recorded six tackles, including a TFL on his first play. He finished the regular season ranked fourth on the team in tackles with 83. Kevin has prototype size and speed had another awsome season this year (2004), he finished ranked 3rd in the nation in solo tackles with 86 and 2nd in the nation in total tackles with 104, he also recorded 1 sack and 1 INT..

3. LB Daryl Blackstock, 6-4 235, JR, Virginia
Underclassmen like Darryl will play a huge part in the 2005 NFL draft. Blackstock became a star in his freshman season as he led the nation's freshmen with 10 sacks and 14 tackles for loss. He finished the season with 107 tackles and set an ACC record for most sacks by a freshman. As a true freshman from Newport News, Virginia, Rivals.com and CollegeFootballnews.com named him national defensive rookie of the year. He has the frame to get even bigger. In 2003 he was used more in a traditional linebackers role and he didn’t rush the passer as much, but he still had a productive year. He recorded 50 solo tackles and 35 assists with a marvelous 16 tackles for loss and 4 sacks. Subsequently, Blackstock was named 2003 ACC-All Conference (honorable mention). He is a supreme pass rushing linebacker and perfect for a 34 defense. He is very young and a converted defensive end so he needs to improve on play recognition and in pass coverage.

4. LB Rian Wallace, 6-4, 245, SR, Temple
No problem with size here, an unknown from Temple but he will rock your world. Wallace drew national attention in 2003 recording 148 tackles (97 solo), 19.5 tackles for loss, one sack, six broken up passes and two fumble recoveries. Wallace is a supreme linebacker stuck on a poor team that rarely plays on national TV. But if you're looking for a future NFL star Wallace is your man. Rian is very versatile and can play inside or out. He should be a finalist for the Butkus Award and on most preseason All-America teams. He has the size and speed ratio that NFL scouts look for, and is able to shed blocks as well as the best of them. He's a great pass rusher, has fine instincts and is a scrappy brawler. He usually has some blood and grass sticking on his helmet by the end of a game. Rian needs work on improving his pass coverage; he is decent in zone, but struggles in man to man coverage. Rian won’t play in the spotlight this year but could develop into one of the top 5 linebackers in the nation.

5. LB Michael Boley, 6-3, 225, SR, Southern Miss
The two-time First-Team All-Conference USA selection finished with 154 tackles and a team-leading 11 sacks for the Golden Eagles this past season. He has to be commended for coming back to Southern Miss for his final season, many thought he would declare for the NFL draft as a junior last year. Named as preseason first team All-American by Athlon Sports and Lyndy”s, he should be a Butkis award candidate this year. However, there is a chance Boley might be moved to strong safety in the NFL. Boley reminds me of Michael Boulware who played OLB for Florida State, was drafted by Seattle and is now being asked to play SS. If Boley continues to get stronger he could easily be a first round draft pick in the 2005 draft, but will being a tweener hurt his stock?

6. LB Marcus Lawrence, 6-3 236, SR, South Carolina
Not blazing fast but good size, his 40 time has been listed at 4.8 which is only average for a linebacker. Lawrence is a strong run stopper and an aggressive player who plays with intensity and consistently makes big plays and crushing tackles. He is able to effectively drop back into coverage, but it's not his forte'. The downside to Lawrence is that he is very inexperienced. He tends to play a little too aggressive at times and will over-pursue and miss some plays. Lawrence could be one of those middle round picks that seem to be functional starters but never stars in the NFL.

7. LB Pat Thomas, 6-2 230, SR, NC State
Another skilled linebacker from the ACC, not as heralded as some, but he could emerge into a fine NFL prospect, in 2003 Pat was voted to the second team All-ACC team. In 2002 he played on the weakside, made 106 tackles and was great at getting into the backfield making three sacks and nine tackles for loss, he put on a real show in the Gator Bowl. Pat is a great pass rusher for a linebacker and last year (2003) he recorded eight sacks, 13 quarterback pressures and 15 tackles for a loss. He has been Mr. steady for the Cavaliers and the last two years he amassed a whopping 236 total tackles. He's as good at chasing down ball-carriers and is as consistent a linebacker as there is in the ACC. If he continues to develop and get stronger he will be an excellent candidate to play for an NFL team that needs a pass rushing outside linebacker.

8. LB DeMarco Ryans, 6-2 225, SR, Alabama
Quick, mobile backer that can fly. He has produced big numbers for the Tide defense, had 25 tackles against Arkansas in 2003, His 2003 tackle total was second in the storied Alabama school history. Not only are his numbers impressive, but his style of play is worth noting as well. Ryans is a sideline to sideline 'backer with a natural intensity and a knack for making the hard hit. He leads an Alabama defense that could surprise people in the SEC. He is a hard hitter and he can fight through blocks very well. When you watch Alabama play he jumps out at you because he is a playmaker. He will need to bulk up a little for the NFL, but he will probably get drafted early on day two.

9. LB/DE Jonathan Goodard, 6-0 245, SR, Marshal
Kind of a tweener, which may hurt his stock. Jonathan is a very athletic DE for the Thundering Herd who will have to move to a rush OLB slot in the pros. He has a non-stop motor and virtually lives in the opponent’s backfield. Very experienced, in 2003 he had 43 tackles, 25 assists, 20.5 TFLs, 6.5 sacks. He is very reminiscent of the Colt’s Dwight Freeney as a supreme speed rusher. Jonathan had an incredible 12 tackle, 4 sack, 1 FF, 1 FR, 3 TFL game against Miami (OH) in the last intra-league rivalry game between these two classic MAC opponents (9/29/04) and is one of the fastest risers on NFL draft boards. At mid point of the 2004 season he leads the entire nation in sacks with 10.5!

Best of the rest
Matt Grootegoed-USC
Matt Sinclair-Illinois
Zach Woodfin-UAB
Wendell Hunter-California
Derek Wake-Penn State
Maurice Lloyd, U Conn
Andy Avalos, Boise State
Jonathan Pollard, Oregon St.
Travis Harris, Florida
Brandon Hoyte, Notre Dame
Jared Newberry, Stanford
Dale Robinson, Arizona St.
Nick Speegle, New Mexico
Byron Santiago, LA Tech
Corey Dodds, Utah

Source: Consensus Draft Services (used w/permission)

DeepSouth
01-18-2005, 07:41 AM
2. LB Kevin Burnett, 6-3, 237, SR, Tennessee
Maybe the best player to come from the Volunteer state since Payton Manning. In 2003 Kevin was first team All-ACC

Since when does Tennessee play in the ACC ?

DeepSouth
01-18-2005, 07:43 AM
PatriotofMaine, thanks for posting the info.

Unlike most on the board, I'd rather the Chiefs take a LB in the first versus a CB.

PatriotofMaine
01-18-2005, 08:05 AM
DS,

misprint.

htismaqe
01-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Kevin Burnett is the guy I want...

shaneo69
01-18-2005, 08:58 AM
POM, you were ripping other draft sites for cutting and pasting, but the info you posted above is describing these players after their junior or soph seasons and doesn't even talk about what kind of seasons they had in 2004.

:rolleyes:

shaneo69
01-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Kevin Burnett is the guy I want...

I don't know, man. One sack and one INT doesn't sound like much of a playmaker to me.

PatriotofMaine
01-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Shane09...season ended just two weeks ago...updates are in the works.

PatriotofMaine
01-18-2005, 09:11 AM
P.S. Also...the player profiles ARE all updated with 2004 stats. Here's how you can view them:

Click "NCAA', then click the conference you want, then click on whether you want a list of the pro propsects or the list of the potential pro prospects for that conference, then click on the name when the list pops up. We have 800+ guys in the database with the stats (with the possible exception of the WAC and MW) all updated. (we're having some issues with our writer out there at the moment.)

htismaqe
01-18-2005, 09:26 AM
I don't know, man. One sack and one INT doesn't sound like much of a playmaker to me.

He's the fastest OLB in the draft after DJ...we need someone who can 1) get to the point of attack and 2) make the tackle.

The guy only had 1 sack and 1 INT, but 120 tackles...

Hoover
01-18-2005, 09:27 AM
He's the fastest OLB in the draft after DJ...we need someone who can 1) get to the point of attack and 2) make the tackle.

Do you think we could get in in the 2nd round?

htismaqe
01-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Do you think we could get in in the 2nd round?

I don't know.

Right now I see him going somewhere between 1-25 and 2-5...

shaneo69
01-18-2005, 09:31 AM

I think Fujita had about 120 tackles.

htismaqe
01-18-2005, 10:07 AM
I think Fujita had about 120 tackles.

In college? Fujita played 5 or 6 more games last season.

Hoover
01-18-2005, 10:20 AM
We need a #1 CB in Free Agency.

But after that we need linebackers bigtime.

I think we should go after a guy like Trotter to play MLB. This will not be a huge cost. He signed as a back up for 750K in Philly with no incentives. I think we give him a 2-3 year deal. Just like what we did with Marvcus Patton near the end of his career.

OLB We will dump Barber to save some cap space, I think we should try to get Peterson from SF. This could cost us, but his speed is worth it. Pluse he is young

So in Free agency we sign three new starters to the Defense. CB, OLB, MLB.

In the draft we go CB, OLB, or DE in the first 2 rounds. I would like a DE but the more I think about it getting another OLB, and CB is important to the future of this team.

PatriotofMaine
01-18-2005, 10:25 AM
I'll offer you guys Ty Law for two middle round picks.

shaneo69
01-18-2005, 10:28 AM
In college? Fujita played 5 or 6 more games last season.

Burnett had 104 (according to POM) in 13 games and Fujita had 112 in 16 games. Fujita had 151 tackles the year before.

My preference would be to have a tackling machine/leader like Thurman at MLB and a playmaker like Boley at OLB.

But if we went that route in the 1st and 2nd rounds, we'd definitely have to get a FA starting CB like Lucas and keep McCleon around as insurance.

I don't know....there's a lot of ways to improve, but I don't have much faith that these guys can get it done.

Hoover
01-18-2005, 10:31 AM
I'll offer you guys Ty Law for two middle round picks.
There is no way I trade for him plus play his salary.

We will just wait til you cut his ass.

htismaqe
01-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Burnett had 104 (according to POM) in 13 games and Fujita had 112 in 16 games. Fujita had 151 tackles the year before.

My preference would be to have a tackling machine/leader like Thurman at MLB and a playmaker like Boley at OLB.

But if we went that route in the 1st and 2nd rounds, we'd definitely have to get a FA starting CB like Lucas and keep McCleon around as insurance.

I don't know....there's a lot of ways to improve, but I don't have much faith that these guys can get it done.

Boley is fast, but I wouldn't consider him more of a "playmaker" than Burnett. I'll admit, I haven't seen either one of them enough to REALLY say.

I have concerns about Thurman and his size playing at MLB. To me, he seems better suited to play OLB in the NFL, but I'm not a professional scout either.

I think we need to get a starting #1 CB via free agency REGARDLESS of what we do in the draft.

Chiefnj
01-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Boley is fast, but I wouldn't consider him more of a "playmaker" than Burnett. I'll admit, I haven't seen either one of them enough to REALLY say.

I have concerns about Thurman and his size playing at MLB. To me, he seems better suited to play OLB in the NFL, but I'm not a professional scout either.

I think we need to get a starting #1 CB via free agency REGARDLESS of what we do in the draft.

The Chiefs need to draft Pollack.

As far as Thurman goes, in the games I watched Georgia he plays bigger than his listed size. Kind of like Vilma. Word from Georgia fans is that he's a bit inconsistent. LB's tend to slip in the draft. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Brooks is the only LB taken in the 1st round.

PatriotofMaine
01-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Brooks is playing at the University of Virginia next year, last I knew...

Bowser
01-18-2005, 11:24 AM

As far as Thurman goes, in the games I watched Georgia he plays bigger than his listed size. Kind of like Vilma. Word from Georgia fans is that he's a bit inconsistent. LB's tend to slip in the draft. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Brooks is the only LB taken in the 1st round.

Pollack and Allen would make nice bookends for our line!

Chiefnj
01-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Brooks is playing at the University of Virginia last year, last I knew...

Momentary lapse of reason on my behalf, I meant Johnson.

Mr. Laz
01-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Pollack and Allen would make nice bookends for our line!

i imagine we would have some issues against the run with those 2 small guys as our ends.

PatriotofMaine
01-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Bowser,

Yes. That would look pretty sweet, too...

philfree
01-18-2005, 11:39 AM
Thomas Davis the FS from Georgia has a good chance to end up as a WLB in the NFL. He should probably be included in this thread.

PhilFree :arrow:

Chiefnj
01-18-2005, 11:56 AM
i imagine we would have some issues against the run with those 2 small guys as our ends.

Pollack isn't undersized.

PatriotofMaine
01-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Pollack has the best motor of any DL in this draft...and would be (IMHO) a great pick, if you decided you need DE before LB...

shaneo69
01-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Pollack has the best motor of any DL in this draft...and would be (IMHO) a great pick, if you decided you need DE before LB...

No way DV picks Hicks' replacement in the 1st round. From everything I've read on KCChiefs.com, they think Hicks had a solid season.

Personally, I think Pollack would be an excellent pick, but I also think we need some playmaking LB's. And a FA CB is a given.

Sure-Oz
01-18-2005, 12:21 PM
LB's CB's and DE's in that order!

htismaqe
01-18-2005, 12:30 PM

I meant more "frame" than sheer "size". It all depends on his officials at the combine, but I've seen him listed as 6'1" 230, and I've seen him listed at 220. Thurman to me just looks skinny for some reason.

FYI, Pollack runs 280-285. He'd be a perfect replacement for Hicks.

Tribal Warfare
01-18-2005, 02:21 PM
The Chiefs should go for bigtime FA's on the DB market , and acuire the BAA in the draft. The Chiefs own the 13th spot their target range at this position the Chiefs should target an LB or DL.

htismaqe
01-18-2005, 03:40 PM
The Chiefs should go for bigtime FA's on the DB market , and acuire the BAA in the draft. The Chiefs own the 13th spot their target range at this position the Chiefs should target an LB or DL.

The Chiefs draft 15th.

PatriotofMaine
01-22-2005, 07:42 AM
test