PDA

View Full Version : Broncos give Droughns permission to seek trade

tk13
01-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Just a little tidbit they mentioned at the very end of NFL Live... the RB cycle continues. Maybe they can trade him for Fred Smoot. :)

Mile High Mania
01-18-2005, 04:14 PM
They're pretty deep and all signs point to Bell being the starter. They'll have Anderson and Q back from injury, plus YOU KNOW they'll draft another one by R4.

Sooo... might as well try to trade one of the 2 healthy options. He had a fine year and could get a R2 or R3 easily in return.

shaneo69
01-18-2005, 04:16 PM
He had a fine year and could get a R2 or R3 easily in return.

Doubt it. I'm thinking he'll get as much trade interest as Olandis Gary did when he was being shopped.

Mile High Mania
01-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Enh, you never know... the one thing about this FA market is it is HEAVY on RBs. I didn't consider that when I posted the last comment.

Depends on the team and the system... He proved he is more than a FB this year, but who knows what he will do with another team.

I'm drawing a mind blank... but, wasn't Gary injured prior to leaving Denver? I was thinking so, but can't be for sure. There's definitely a question mark about trading for Denver RBs... ya just never know how much of it is the system.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2005, 04:21 PM
The difference is that Droughns sucked for a couple starts in Detroit if I recall correctly.

So teams could point to the fact he's just a product of the system.

I'd be amazed if you got anything more than a 3rd rounder for him.

Mile High Mania
01-18-2005, 04:22 PM
All very true, Big Guy.

You could also say that most RBs would suck behind those lines in those seasons with Detroit. That's one of the risks of FA and picking productive players from certain systems.

Hoover
01-18-2005, 04:26 PM
All very true, Big Guy.

You could also say that most RBs would suck behind those lines in those seasons with Detroit. That's one of the risks of FA and picking productive players from certain systems.
Barry FU@KING Sanders

LOL :D

HolmeZz
01-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Droughns doesn't have 2nd round value.

Mile High Mania
01-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Droughns doesn't have 2nd round value.

Enh, depends on the situation ... KC isn't the only team willing to spend high picks on lower round talent. Just gotta find those teams. :p

morphius
01-18-2005, 06:35 PM
I just don't see them getting much, I seemed to remember him getting worse as there was more game tape on him this year. Sure, against some bad D's he did okay.

I wouldn't call having two guys that were injured a lot as being deep at the RB position.

Skip Towne
01-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Would anybody trade Droughns straight up for Dante? On another thread consensus was Dante would only bring a 4th or 5th.

CHIEF4EVER
01-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Broncos give Droughns permission to seek trade

Looks like Shanarat found this years scapegoat. :evil:

Wile_E_Coyote
01-18-2005, 07:06 PM
I could go on & on about him

~he's the bees knees

brent102fire
01-18-2005, 07:08 PM
I could see Al Davis trading for him...the Faiders have some serious RB issues. Al Davis likes to overspend for players. ROFL

Garcia Bronco
01-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Gary was coming off of an ACL when he was shopped. That's when Mike Anderson came into the fold. Gary ran for 1200 yards the season TD went down. Next year he tore his ACL in week one against the Rams...he was shopped the next season.

Mile High Mania
01-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Droughns isn't a scapegoat... he's got a new agent and I'm sure wants big money. They have lots of depth and as the season progressed, his numbers went down b/c Shanahan wanted to see what Bell could do.

Bell was injured somewhat and took a while to grasp the offense, he would have been the ideal starter back when Q was benched. Droughns was a blessing outta nowhere... he was 5th or something on the preseason depth chart.

And, Q and Anderson weren't injured "a lot" if you're suggesting nagging injuries, they both had season ending injuries. So, yeah - there's questions there.

Sounds like Droughns is being given permission to find a team that wants him as a featured back and with Denver moving to Bell as that guy for 2005, might as well see what the street value for Droughns is... I don't see that as a bad move.

Shanahan's scapegoat this year is the D-line and inconsistent play at the TE position.

royr17
01-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Its gonna really be a bitch if Bell is the starting RB for the Donkeys next year cause he is another Clinton Portis in the making.

Garcia Bronco
01-18-2005, 08:58 PM
huh?

Sure-Oz
01-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Whatever happend to Ice Cu...err i mean oRlandis Gary?

Skip Towne
01-18-2005, 09:09 PM
huh?
Huh is right. RB's don't "develop". They either got it or they ain't. I don't remember even one RB developing. And IMO, "Q" is a colossal bust and had it written all over him out of OU. He's just too small for the NFL. I'm not much of a stat guy but I remember telling Saul that his boy Sproles wasn't even third team All Big XII. And Bell wasn't even that high. Another Smurf.

Garcia Bronco
01-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Huh is right. RB's don't "develop". They either got it or they ain't. I don't remember even one RB developing. And IMO, "Q" is a colossal bust and had it written all over him out of OU. He's just too small for the NFL. I'm not much of a stat guy but I remember telling Saul that his boy Sproles wasn't even third team All Big XII. And Bell wasn't even that high. Another Smurf.

Bell is bigger thn Portis and the same height.

CHIEF4EVER
01-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Bell is bigger thn Portis and the same height.

No matter who you have in the backfield, it ain't gonna keep us from taking your keys Donkey Boy. :p

RNR
01-18-2005, 10:10 PM
There is a 6th round draft pick someone will never get back.

Garcia Bronco
01-18-2005, 10:14 PM
No matter who you have in the backfield, it ain't gonna keep us from taking your keys Donkey Boy. :p

OMG!!!!

You will never get the keys to my Donkey joint....now...when it comes to the keys to your crib....man...I've always got space on my key ring for those keys. I gotta feeling I'll get them next year.

el borracho
01-18-2005, 10:23 PM
He had a fine year and could get a R2 or R3 easily in return.
What?!!! Terrel Owens (best WR in the game) was traded for some no-name DE and a 5th round pick and you think that Ruben Droughns (some guy who shared carries all year) will fetch a 2nd or 3rd round pick? Does that sound even remotely possible?

Garcia Bronco
01-18-2005, 10:29 PM
What?!!! Terrel Owens (best WR in the game) was traded for some no-name DE and a 5th round pick and you think that Ruben Droughns (some guy who shared carries all year) will fetch a 2nd or 3rd round pick? Does that sound even remotely possible?

Lamar Gordon was trade to Miami for a 3rd round pick.....

Each situation has it's own circumstances.....

RNR
01-18-2005, 10:33 PM

Miami was tits on the wall in that trade. Droughns is worth a 5 or more likely a 6.

Rausch
01-18-2005, 10:35 PM

And he's a big, physical runner.

If Pittsburgh or the Ravens needed a HB I'd say you'd look good, but not this year with a glut of FA HB's...

Garcia Bronco
01-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Miami was tits on the wall in that trade.

That's my point. Who might be tits to the wall next?

Rausch
01-18-2005, 10:44 PM

You, with Plummer...

Garcia Bronco
01-18-2005, 10:57 PM
You, with Plummer...

Or...you with whatever 11 guys you start on D

CHIEF4EVER
01-18-2005, 11:11 PM

Last time I checked our QB didn't tie the NFL record for most picks in a season. For that matter, our 11 guys on D didn't keep us from delivering the DONX OF DENIAL an azzwhippin of epic proportions the last time we met. :p

Mile High Mania
01-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Last time I checked our QB didn't tie the NFL record for most picks in a season. For that matter, our 11 guys on D didn't keep us from delivering the DONX OF DENIAL an azzwhippin of epic proportions the last time we met. :p

NFL Record? Are you referring to a season high of 20 INTs last year... yeah, just 3 fewer and he would have tied Trent Green.

Rausch
01-18-2005, 11:44 PM

Garbage. We have two solid starters and two guys who don't completely suck...

HolmeZz
01-18-2005, 11:50 PM
NFL Record? Are you referring to a season high of 20 INTs last year... yeah, just 3 fewer and he would have tied Trent Green.

And Trent had to throw like 4 interceptions on the last day of the season to get that close. ;)

Taco John
01-19-2005, 12:04 AM
Huh is right. RB's don't "develop". They either got it or they ain't. I don't remember even one RB developing.

Priest Holmes developed something, because he wasn't too impressive in Baltimore.

CHIEF4EVER
01-19-2005, 12:07 AM

Yeah, and just 12 fewer and he would have tied Joe Montana. Bottom line..........INT machine. :p :evil:

Miles
01-19-2005, 12:10 AM

Yeah the record is way past that. 20 is bad but its really not that bad. The record has to be well over 30 as Im pretty sure Tarkenton threw more than 30 in one year.

CHIEF4EVER
01-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Yeah the record is way past that. 20 is bad but its really not that bad. The record has to be well over 30 as Im pretty sure Tarkenton threw more than 30 in one year.

I was unabashedly yanking his chain with some BS and you had to go and mess it up. :cuss: ROFL

Miles
01-19-2005, 12:14 AM
Priest Holmes developed something, because he wasn't too impressive in Baltimore.

His numbers are still pretty good for his Bal years. He had a high ypc while he was there and his name got tossed around the media a lot when he ran for 1000yds(not that that is much) his first year.

Mile High Mania
01-19-2005, 06:46 AM
Here's the article and like I said he's not a scapegoat. The dude hired Portis' agent so he's asking for a trade and a new deal. We'll see if Drew can pull together another trade....

Broncos hit with request for trade

Droughns wants out after 1,240-yard year; back has team OK to seek deal

By Bill Williamson
Denver Post Staff Writer

Post file / Hyoung Chang
Reuben Droughns

Like Clinton Portis before him, Reuben Droughns hopes a partnership with agent Drew Rosenhaus will result in a trade from the Broncos.

In what has been in the works since a Christmas Eve agreement, Droughns has asked the team for permission to seek a trade and was given the OK.

The NFL's trading season begins in early March, but a deal could be discussed before then. The Broncos likely would want a first- or second-round draft choice in return for Droughns, who broke out as a running back in 2004 to rush for 1,240 yards.

"I've talked to the Broncos about this, and they understand our stance," Rosenhaus said. "I don't want to overblow this, but this is definitely something we think is in everyone's best interest."

Droughns has two seasons remaining on his contract and is set to earn base salaries of $950,000 in 2005 and $1.15 million in 2006.

Portis hired Rosenhaus in the 2003 season in an attempt to get a raise from the Broncos. Last March, Portis was traded to Washington in a deal for cornerback Champ Bailey and a second-round pick who turned out to be Tatum Bell, the leading candidate to be the Broncos' top tailback in 2005.

Rosenhaus said he hasn't talked to any teams but is confident he will be able to find a new home for Droughns this offseason.

"I think my experience in this will help me find a team for Reuben," Rosenhaus said.

If Droughns stays with the Broncos, he could be moved back to fullback. The team has a glut of running backs, starting with Bell, who became the primary back at the end of the season. Injured tailbacks Quentin Griffin and Mike Anderson are expected to be healthy after being on injured reserve in 2004. Bell is likely to have the first shot at the starting tailback job.

Droughns and Rosenhaus became associates after a Dec. 24 meeting in Nashville, Tenn., the day before the Broncos' 37-16 victory over the Titans. At the time Droughns said he didn't necessarily want a trade or a raise from the Broncos.

Anderson is a player who would draw interest if the Broncos wanted to pursue a trade. He was considered a hot commodity before being hurt in the preseason.

RNR
01-19-2005, 07:03 AM
I get what you are saying, but there is a handful of backs to be had this year. If he sticks with Denver untill early next season, a situation may develop. More than likely Denver takes a 5 or 6 in the offseason IMO

Mile High Mania
01-19-2005, 07:10 AM
Yeah, I've backed off my initial comment simply b/c fo the number of FA RBs out there and guys like Henry seeking a trade.

There might be what ... 10 teams with a serious need for a new starting RB? And, there are maybe 5-7 available now. So, the price will fall, but if there is one thing Rosenhaus can do, it's whore his client out for the best deal.

And, I'm sure that's one of the few reasons that Denver is saying "ok, find us a deal". They're deep at RB ... Bell has been the desired starter for a while now and you know they'll draft another RB this year. Hell, they'll draft a RB every year.

The other thing is it's hard to say he's not a product of the system when you look at his years in Detroit and starting this season at #5 on the depth chart, but he certainly made the most of it. So, I don't blame him for hiring Drew (seeing the emergence of Bell) and saying "get me a sweet deal while I'm hot".

RNR
01-19-2005, 07:18 AM
Yeah, I've backed off my initial comment simply b/c fo the number of FA RBs out there and guys like Henry seeking a trade.

There might be what ... 10 teams with a serious need for a new starting RB? And, there are maybe 5-7 available now. So, the price will fall, but if there is one thing Rosenhaus can do, it's whore his client out for the best deal.

And, I'm sure that's one of the few reasons that Denver is saying "ok, find us a deal". They're deep at RB ... Bell has been the desired starter for a while now and you know they'll draft another RB this year. Hell, they'll draft a RB every year.

The other thing is it's hard to say he's not a product of the system when you look at his years in Detroit and starting this season at #5 on the depth chart, but he certainly made the most of it. So, I don't blame him for hiring Drew (seeing the emergence of Bell) and saying "get me a sweet deal while I'm hot".
Nails on MHM, Denver is in no worry on this one. Upside Rosenhaus gets a team to pony up, and he can not hold Denver up as they don't really need the guy less depth.

Bob Dole
01-19-2005, 07:22 AM
Droughns isn't a scapegoat... he's got a new agent and I'm sure wants big money. They have lots of depth and as the season progressed, his numbers went down b/c Shanahan wanted to see what Bell could do.

Odd.

Bob Dole's recollection is that his playing time and numbers went down because he couldn't hold on to the ball.

Kerberos
01-19-2005, 07:28 AM
Enh, you never know... the one thing about this FA market is it is HEAVY on RBs. I didn't consider that when I posted the last comment.

Depends on the team and the system... He proved he is more than a FB this year, but who knows what he will do with another team.

I'm drawing a mind blank... but, wasn't Gary injured prior to leaving Denver? I was thinking so, but can't be for sure. There's definitely a question mark about trading for Denver RBs... ya just never know how much of it is the system.

I can't remember .... help me out here... What was RD' carries to fumbles ratio again ???

10:1 ???????????

Or am I being generous here??

:)

Cliff

Mile High Mania
01-19-2005, 07:30 AM
Odd.

Bob Dole's recollection is that his playing time and numbers went down because he couldn't hold on to the ball.

Well, I'll go look it up... Q fumbled the ball with a passion early and that's why he was relegated to return duty prior to ending his season. I am sure RD fumbled once or twice, but I don't recall anything that would signal a trend for coughing it up.

Lemme see... NFL.com....

He had 2 in October, 1 in November and then 2 in the game against Miami in December. 275 carries - 5 fumbles, so yeah I guess he did have a high ratio.

Still, the team's goal early on was for Bell to see time as the starter when Q pulled his brain fart, but he wasn't ready. I think RD could have had 0 fumbles and still we would have seen Bell get more carries.

Mile High Mania
01-19-2005, 07:33 AM
I can't remember .... help me out here... What was RD' carries to fumbles ratio again ???

10:1 ???????????

Or am I being generous here??

Cliff

11 games with more than 8 carries when he was the primary RB.

275 rushes
32 receptions
14 KO returns (I dunno if you count those touches in your ratio)

5 fumbles

morphius
01-19-2005, 08:36 AM
MHM - I'm counting maybe 6 teams (Oak, SF, AZ, TB, Mia, Clevland) in desperate need, maybe another couple that could use an upgrade. If there are 5-7 available already, probably a couple in the draft as well, there just isn't going to be much of a market for him. I can't blame them for trying to trade him, I really don't think that he is the type of runner that the rat wants.

I do find it funny that one day he is happy, talks to what basically is a glorfied used car salesman and all of a sudden wants a raise or to be traded.

Kerberos
01-19-2005, 08:40 AM
11 games with more than 8 carries when he was the primary RB.

275 rushes
32 receptions
14 KO returns (I dunno if you count those touches in your ratio)

5 fumbles

Well I was "TRYING" to be a sarcastic smart ass ....

From what I saw he fumbled "ALLOT" or maybe it was just a couple of games together that he most of them .... either way it was enough for ME a NON Donks fan to see that.

Either way I don't see anyone giving anything more than a 3rd or 4th rounder for him....

just IMHO !

Cliff

Skip Towne
01-19-2005, 09:06 AM
It will be interesting to see what they get for that Drone (pun intended).

Kclee
01-19-2005, 09:10 AM
5 fumbles

Is that 5 total fumbles, or just 5 Lost* fumbles? Cause he could have been putting it on the ground more if it's just lost fumbles.

*subliminal to remind people LOST is on tonight.

Red Dawg
01-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Who cares? He's a bum.