PDA

View Full Version : A prayer request

KCN
01-18-2005, 11:46 PM
This is the first one of these I've ever had to write and hopefully the last.

It isn't often that two close friends of yours meet and fall in love, but that was the case with two friends of mine here at Texas A&M, Rich and Jana. In fact, they were about to become engaged. These were two people I knew I would be friends with for life.

Well, Thursday evening they were in a serious accident. Rich suffered severe facial injuries and Jana was killed.

I finally was able to visit Rich today in the hospital after gaining consciousness from all his surgeries. His eyes are swollen and his jaw is wired shut but we were still able to communicate. After a while of talking, just happy things to get his spirits back up, he wrote out "jana?" with his finger in the air, then made a sweeping motion with his hands to ask "gone?" and looked at me. If I never have to answer a question like that again it will be too soon.

I know I haven't been posting much lately, and most of you don't know who I am let alone my friend....but Rich is in great need of prayers right now. He lost his mother a few years ago to cancer and had lost contact with his family after her passing. Jana had become the closest person to him and I am very fearful of how he will cope with her gone. We as his friends will be doing all we can to get him through, but he is hospitilized in Houston (2 hrs from here) and will be there for a month. I and others will be making every effort to visit him at least twice a week but I fear even that will not be enough.

Any thoughts or prayers in his direction would be greatly appreciated, as well as for Jana and her family.

Mr. Kotter
01-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Done, KCN.

My condolences. God's speed.

Rausch
01-18-2005, 11:48 PM
:thumb:

Valiant
01-18-2005, 11:54 PM
No problem, prayer goes out to him and family..

go bo
01-19-2005, 12:00 AM
best wishes to your friend and condolences for the loss of the young lady...

he's lucky to have such a good friend... :toast:

tk13
01-19-2005, 12:02 AM
Man that is brutal. Best of luck to everyone involved.

OldTownChief
01-19-2005, 12:34 AM
Done, just keep making that trip when you can for your friend.

teedubya
01-19-2005, 12:38 AM
wow. my heart and prayers go out to him and his family. that is horrendous.

Pants
01-19-2005, 12:39 AM
You got it. Man, like go bo said, he's lucky to have a friend like you.

Phobia
01-19-2005, 01:58 AM
That really sucks. The only child of one of my friends was killed in a car accident coming home from College Station several years ago - same week of DT's death. It tore me up. I found out on my text pager and bawled my way out of a meeting with a lucrative client. I know that drive sucks, too.

But, the month will go quickly and some of the best hospitals in the world are in Houston, so your friend is in good hands. Bury your other friend and get on with your education. That's what she would have wanted for you.

Braincase
01-19-2005, 03:43 AM
{Prayers}

ROYC75
01-19-2005, 08:30 AM
This is a sad story, your friend needs your continued support and our prayers ! Freinds are special.......keep them that way !

ExtremeChief
01-19-2005, 08:47 AM
done

shakesthecat
01-19-2005, 08:52 AM
How sad.

Positive thoughts on the way.

Skip Towne
01-19-2005, 08:57 AM
What a terrible story. Our prayers are with him.

KCN
01-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Thanks very much guys for your prayers and kind words.

One thing that is bothering me is that I don't know the extent to discuss Jana with him. He had been told before that she passed but he suffered some head trauma and keeps forgetting. I think he's finally retained that info though. Losing Jana was horrible for me, but I've never had to grieve the loss of a close loved one like he is going through. Do I bring it up, or is it something I should avoid talking about? Since his jaw is wired shut it's pretty much all me doing the talking, and I mostly want to talk fun like we always did to return him to a sense of normal. I don't want to upset him or make him uncomfortable by bringing it up in this time he needs his strength to heal and get off the ventilator. Maybe I should though? I don't know.

CosmicPal
01-19-2005, 09:04 AM
That's sad....your friend is in my prayers.

morphius
01-19-2005, 09:11 AM
You got it.

journeyscarab
01-19-2005, 09:20 AM
Prayers for your friend, his girlfriend and their family. Your a good friend and he's gonna need you for some time to come. We'll pray for strength for you as well.

Peace.

Lzen
01-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Our prayers are with you and your friend.

RNR
01-19-2005, 10:00 AM

One thing that is bothering me is that I don't know the extent to discuss Jana with him. He had been told before that she passed but he suffered some head trauma and keeps forgetting. I think he's finally retained that info though. Losing Jana was horrible for me, but I've never had to grieve the loss of a close loved one like he is going through. Do I bring it up, or is it something I should avoid talking about? Since his jaw is wired shut it's pretty much all me doing the talking, and I mostly want to talk fun like we always did to return him to a sense of normal. I don't want to upset him or make him uncomfortable by bringing it up in this time he needs his strength to heal and get off the ventilator. Maybe I should though? I don't know.
Who is to say, I think it may be best to let him bring it up and heal in his own time. It is a very sad story, Gods speed to all of you.

WilliamTheIrish
01-19-2005, 10:01 AM
That's just a terrible tragedy. My heart breaks when I read stories like this. People that are just beginning their lives... to have one of them removed in the blink of an eye...

Radar Chief
01-19-2005, 10:13 AM

That’s horrible, truly sorry.
Having been through this exact type of situation a couple too many times, it’s my opinion that you shouldn’t bring it up. If he wants to talk about it he’ll bring it up but remember he’s got a lot of time in that hospital bead with no one else around to delve on should’a, could’a, would’a so he needs you to brighten his day when you can be there.
This is just my opinion and you know your friend better than I do, so go with your best judgment.
Prayers with you and your friend.

gblowfish
01-19-2005, 10:15 AM
You got it. Man, like go bo said, he's lucky to have a friend like you.Ditto.
:thumb:

Lightning Rod
01-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Good thoughts going out as we speak.

Iowanian
01-19-2005, 10:29 AM

that whole situation sucks for sure.

I'm no psycologist, but I think you should try to focus on the positive as much as you can. If he brings the subject up, be truthful(we went to her service today...it was very nice....) At this point, maybe focus more on the improvements to his situation.

I'm a gallows humor person, so I might be inclined to tell him he looks better with a crooked nose or something.

I'm sure he appreciates you being there, regardless of conversation.

This event is tragic, but might be something that can reconnect him with his family. Make sure they know.

chiefs4me
01-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Oh my gosh,,I read about this accident in the paper and had no idea how close to home it would hit some of us. My prayers go out to you and both of the families,,please keep us updated.

KCN
01-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Thank you all again for your prayers and support. I think you all are correct, it is best to not talk about it until he is ready and brings it up. Certainly we should wait until he is able to talk again. Right now I am just glad to see him getting back to his normal self, doing things like trying to get out of bed joking about not wanting to use the bedpan.

I don't know if this is a sign that our prayers are working, but I just recieved word that he is undergoing his final surgery and may possibly be able to leave the hospital into rehab as soon as Friday, much earlier than anticipated. That could possibly mean a transfer to a College Station facility, which would be a TREMENDOUS help so that we are able to be w/ him often. His father is in Houston now but has not been to see him much, and will be returning to New York soon.

chiefs4me, can you tell me what paper, and what day? We have been searching online for any info we can get and have found nothing and the police report has not yet been released. We have no idea about how this happened :(

go bo
01-19-2005, 12:43 PM
glad to hear your friend is improving...

bkkcoh
01-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Thoughts are headed in his direction and her families direction.