PDA

View Full Version : A Weekend in the City

CosmicPal
01-19-2005, 11:52 AM
I'm planning a weekend jaunt for April. I've decided I want to do a major city alone: take in the sites, the bars, the women, the music, the food, the arts, the wilderness (if one was nearby),etc., etc....

I only want to do a city I've never done before. So, I thought maybe the Planet can give me some feedback.

I've narrowed my choices to these cities of which I've never visited:

Boston

NYC (I've been there a couple of times as a kid, but not as an adult)

Seattle

Santa Fe/Taos

Austin

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Madison, WI

Portland, ME or Porland, OR

go bo
01-19-2005, 11:53 AM
new york... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

DeepSouth
01-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Tampa. All nude bars with fondling during table dances.

CosmicPal
01-19-2005, 11:56 AM
new york... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

If I do NYC, I'm doing the David Letterman Show. That much is a given. And maybe even SNL.

The Rick
01-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Why Madison, WI? I mean, I know it's the "San Francisco of the Midwest" and all, but is there really that much there other than a bunch of tree-hugging hippies?

I live in Milwaukee (about an hour east of Madison) and maybe I'm clueless and missing something, but there really isn't much there other than the university.

CosmicPal
01-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Why Madison, WI? I mean, I know it's the "San Francisco of the Midwest" and all, but is there really that much there other than a bunch of tree-hugging hippies?

I live in Milwaukee (about an hour east of Madison) and maybe I'm clueless and missing something, but there really isn't much there other than the university.

Because I am a "tree-hugging" hippie and Madison was regarded as one of the best places to live and I'm interested in checking it out for myself.

It may not mean much to you, but it's still mysterious to me....

Mr. Kotter
01-19-2005, 12:08 PM
NYC....it's kinda like going to the zoo... :hmmm:

Minneapolis-St. Paul is under-rated though, while Madison is over-rated IMO

Northwest? That would be gettin' too close to TJ, bad karma dude... ;)

Stinger
01-19-2005, 12:19 PM
IMO this is how I would rank to go vist based on your criteria

1. NYC

2. Seattle

3. Boston

4. Austin

5. Santa Fe/Taos

6. Portland, ME or Porland, OR

7. Minneapolis/St. Paul

8. Madison, WI

kcfanintitanhell
01-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Austin at that time of year would be nice-it hasn't gotten brutally hot yet and you could get two cities for the price of one....San Antonio is an hour and change south, and in between is the eastern edge of the Texas hill country-New Braunfels and San Marcos are cool places-I especially enjoyed tubing on the Guadalupe River and the Comal River.

Plus lots of good music.

ptlyon
01-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Tampa. All nude bars with fondling during table dances.

The Tanga Lounge!

go bo
01-19-2005, 12:26 PM
If I do NYC, I'm doing the David Letterman Show. That much is a given. And maybe even SNL.better get your tickets as soon as you can...

april is only 3 months away...

go bo
01-19-2005, 12:31 PM
NYC....it's kinda like going to the zoo... :hmmm:

Minneapolis-St. Paul is under-rated though, while Madison is over-rated IMO

Northwest? That would be gettin' too close to TJ, bad karma dude... ;)zoo?

well, people there do act in ways that seem strange to us, that's true...

and the top of the empire state building isn't the same as the top of the world trade center, but there are lots of things to do and see in ny...

but if you're (cosmic pal, that is) thinking about moving to madison, you definitely should go there and check it out...

nyc will be there the next time you want to take a jaunt...

DeepSouth
01-19-2005, 12:37 PM
The Tanga Lounge!
I haven't been down there for a couple of years but I hear the Tanga was torn down to make way for a wider freeway across the Causeway.

The MONS VENUS ain't too bad. There are several I never had the oportunity to visited.

Mr. Kotter
01-19-2005, 12:46 PM
but if you're (cosmic pal, that is) thinking about moving to madison, you definitely should go there and check it out...

That's true. IMO, from what I've seen from Cosmic here...you'd love Madison, and they'd love you. :thumb:

ptlyon
01-19-2005, 12:58 PM
I haven't been down there for a couple of years but I hear the Tanga was torn down to make way for a wider freeway across the Causeway.

Blasphamy!

NewChief
01-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Santa Fe/Taos is probably my favorite area in the country, but I'm not sure that it's the place to go for a solo jaunt into a city. I've only been going there since my wife and I have been a couple. The food is amazing, there's cool sites to see, excellent shops, good fishing, good snow sports, lots of hiking.

Portland would be a lot of fun, and you'd definitely enjoy it being the hippy type that you are. If you go there, check out the Hawthorne district. The Baghdad theater is awesome as are the Mcminnimon's breweries. One of them is a Grateful Dead themed brewery even. Can't remember the name of it right now. You'd also likely get to see some good live music while you were there.

Austin is pretty damned cool, and as others stated. You'd definitely have a good time there and probably get a chance to check out some live music.

AustinChief
01-19-2005, 01:03 PM
I'm planning a weekend jaunt for April. I've decided I want to do a major city alone: take in the sites, the bars, the women, the music, the food, the arts, the wilderness (if one was nearby),etc., etc....

Ok. my vote is for Austin...and yes, I know I am slightly biased :D

Austin has great bars and music, fantastic women, food is good especially if you like Mexican or Southern Cooking. The only thing lacking is the arts... even though Austin has a pretty good arts community it doesn't compare with Boston or NYC. The wilderness is great here though... especially in April. (Largest urban bat colony in the world, cool lakes, nudist colony, cool lakes, Hill Country, etc)

.. and as was mentioned before.. San Antonio is just down the road.. and you can get some cool history and see all the old Spanish Missions.

--Kyle

Skip Towne
01-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Austin's a lot of fun.

That's about all I have to offer... well, that and i have a buddy that lives in South St. Paul... if you're into biker bars, Bugg's is fun. It's down the street from my friend's car lot. Even further down the road is King of Diamonds... fully nude + cheap azz beer.
Is that where they have free hamburgers?

Phobia
01-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Austin is good. Plus you have a bunch of people who can serve as virtual guides.

I lived in Boston and hated it, but it can be a nice place to visit. NYC would probably be a good choice, too. I don't think I'd want to do any one of these places solo, but knock yourself out.

Phobia
01-19-2005, 04:17 PM
At this time, I would like to withdraw my nomination for Boston.

Monty
01-19-2005, 04:31 PM
I'd recommend Mexico. There's a nice gentleman at the Border who will take your picture for free.

MGRS13
01-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Dude NYC, it makes all other cities look boring as hell. Go to NYC! Go to NYC!

The Bad Guy
01-19-2005, 06:17 PM
If I do NYC, I'm doing the David Letterman Show. That much is a given. And maybe even SNL.
Then you better put in your tickets for both now because the waiting lists are huge.

With SNL, they basically call you the day of the show and tell you there are seats available so that one may be out.

Jenson71
01-19-2005, 06:20 PM
New York. And pick me up on the way.

Eleazar
01-19-2005, 06:20 PM
I'd do NYC just for the fact that there would be so much to do.

I have wanted to check out Seattle for a long time too.