PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys ever spin old 33 or 45 records on occasion?

Deberg_1990
01-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Just curious......I dont have any collections or anything, but I used to love the sound of old vinyl records when i was a kid. The sound seemed to be more pure than on a CD. I'll bet even some of you old timers may even still have a few 8 track tapes stashed away some where??

OldTownChief
01-19-2005, 08:09 PM
I haven't owned a turntable in about 15 years or so.

Jenson71
01-19-2005, 08:09 PM
No, but I have a few Dylan and Willie Nelson tapes in the car.

MGRS13
01-19-2005, 08:10 PM
95% of my music collection is on vinyl. I have a shit ton of 45's but in the punk rock world we call them 7 inches.

Deberg_1990
01-19-2005, 08:11 PM
I haven't owned a turntable in about 15 years or so.

Yea, I havent heard anything on vinyl in about 20 years or so probably?? Id love to hear an old record from the 70's that was in good condition just to hear how it would sound compared to CD's nowdays.

el borracho
01-19-2005, 09:09 PM
I have about 600 records on vinyl. Rock, pop, soul, classical, disco, folk, movie soundtracks, comedy albums, 80s music, kids stuff... virtually everything you can think of including some real oddities such as "How to bellydance" and an entire album of just train noise.

Fat Elvis
01-19-2005, 09:14 PM
I have a copy of Dark Side of the Moon that is Side 2 on both sides. Since it is a misprint, I wonder if it worth any money. (The labels say Side 1 and Side 2, but the vinyl only plays side two on both sides.)

Boon
01-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Still have around a hundred albums. No turntable though. The covers and liners were cool to look at while listening to the tunez.

Skip Towne
01-19-2005, 10:41 PM
I have one of those little yellow things that you snap into a 45 to make it playable on a turntable. I found it in a customer's yard. I'd take $8000 for it.

KcMizzou
01-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Didn't Pearl Jam realse albums on vinyl a few years ago? I agree that it's a cool sound, but I think it's mainly the nostalgia factor.

Boon
01-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Didn't Pearl Jam realse albums on vinyl a few years ago? I agree that it's a cool sound, but I think it's mainly the nostalgia factor.

Plus you can't play albums in the car.

thestickboy
01-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Whats a record?

Saulbadguy
01-19-2005, 10:59 PM
My dad had a thousand or so records. One time me and my friend (we were about 11 years old at the time) decided to break about a hundred of them. We broke them in every imaginable way possible..threw em against the wall, snapped them over our knees, and even took an extension cord and whipped a few of them in to pieces. It was quite destructive, and quite fun. My dad never found out though, we hid the evidence, and he didn't notice that some of his records were gone.

journeyscarab
01-19-2005, 11:11 PM
I picked up a 1988 Jukebox to play my 45s on. It's fun to get it cranked up and enjoy the warm sound you dont get with CDs.

el borracho
01-19-2005, 11:16 PM
My dad had a thousand or so records. One time me and my friend (we were about 11 years old at the time) decided to break about a hundred of them. We broke them in every imaginable way possible..threw em against the wall, snapped them over our knees, and even took an extension cord and whipped a few of them in to pieces. It was quite destructive, and quite fun. My dad never found out though, we hid the evidence, and he didn't notice that some of his records were gone.
Ugh! That is horrible. Reminds me of a story my old boss used to tell. I guess he had been into the NY punk scene in the 70s and early 80s and had a huge collection of vinyl which he had carried with him during his various moves. Anyway, at some point (middle age) he decides that all his possessions are weighing him down. As he said, "If I have my hands full of my old stuff, I can't reach out and grab any new stuff". So he decided to take all his albums to the dump.
As he tells it, he backed his truck up to the dump, grabbed a stack of records and threw them into the dirt. Looking down at the records he had a moment of regret and actually decided to pick them up but just at that instant the earthmover whooshed by scooping up the records he had discarded. Then his doubt passed and he threw all the remaining records into the dirt and left.
According to him, it was very cathartic and he tells the story with a big, shyte-eating grin but I still cringe to think about all the irreplaceable albums that I, or so many other collectors, would love to have but will probably never find.

Frazod
01-19-2005, 11:16 PM
I got my wife one of those antique-looking box stereos with a turntable. She has some records - but after years of moving, all my records have gotten into the wind (no big deal, since I've got most everything I ever owned on CD now).

I think she used the damn thing twice. Since then, it's just gathered dust. At least it looks nice. :shake:

chiefsfan987
01-20-2005, 02:21 AM
I have one of those myself, and just recently I've started accumulating quite a collection of records. I find that I really enjoy the imperfections of the records (crackling) to the cds. Additionally, they don't make music like the used to. I also find that I occasionally enjoy listening to the old shows on radio as opposed to watching television.