PDA

View Full Version : I QUIT!

Pages : [1] 2

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Throughout my 15 year radio career I've delt with format changes, inept ****ing ownership/management, shitty equipment failures that lead to lost revenue, employees under my tutilage that can't show up for work, a dead economy that causes sales to suffer greatly, office politics out the ass and just about everything else including drought and locusts. However...nothing has made me want to throw the whole ****ing thing to the dogs and call it a day more than the latest assalt on the mentality of the music and the broadcasting business......... Tim mother-****ing-McGraw crossing over onto the pop charts...

It was bad enough that this complete waste of oxygen teamed up with pop/rap star Nelly to do a "duet" that you could hardly even hear the country fuggtard in. Now his song "Live Like Your Were Dying" has crept onto MY STATION! MY pop (actually Hot Adult Contemporary) station. Now don't get me wrong... I am well aware that a high percentage of pop music blows goats. I know that the format I am currently working in is not a format of high musical integrity and often talent. That said... this is going too far. Even though Jessica Simpson and the like suck ass... at least they do it with "song-writting" that isn't so corporately driven (I'll get back to that in a moment) and certainly doesn't make me want to shoot myself in the head simply from the sound. Tim McGag and his current band of fellow country simpleton's have no place anywhere outside of Nash-my-teeth-together-when-I-hear-it-ville to me.

Remember the days when a song-writter would be inspired by something artistic deep inside them...sit down and often painfully struggle to make it coherent on a piece of paper? They'd be struck at odd times in odd places in odd ways by something that just had to be put to music. This is where the "art" of great song-writting came from. This is how great music came into being. Nowadays in Nashville, song-writters hold pre-scheduled group writting sessions where they may or may not bring an idea to build on and crank out "songs" at a pre-determined rate. We're gonna write 5 songs today..... or today we need to come up with 3 new songs for Toby Keith or Johnny Piece-of-shit's new album because it is due to come out in a month. THIS is what gives us the formulaic, re-heated, same old bullshit with a different name mentality that now rules country music. It's a corporate venture to write new songs by the dozens just so someone who currently has "the look" or "the sound" (which is all pre-determined by a producer in a studio somewhere) can get their album on the store shelves in time for the spring sales drive or Christmas rush.

Gone is true inspiration, artistic ability and originality. This is how we get songs like "Live Like You Were Dying" which is ANOTHER ****ing country "list song"........ just like many other Tim My-dad-had-more-talent-in-his-left-pinky-than-is-in-my-whole-body McGagme songs before it. It's the formula. The song starts with a sweet little line or two about something to tug the heart-strings of the "it's about real life" bullshit country listener.... then the chorus "lists" a bunch of shit to expand on the idea and hook said listener. "Live Like You Were Dying" lists things to do before you die......"Everywhere" lists places the singer "sees" his lost love in his dreams........ "Don't Take The Girl" lists all the friends the singer wants to take fishing, other than of course, the girl. It's the same bullshit, pre-packaged formula that most country music is based on...but it's certainly not the only formula. I particulary loath the "chronological life/love/whatever story" formula too.

Tim Fuggtard McGraw is the biggest offender of this kind out there right now..... and has the nerve to thank the song-writters for "another great song" when he wins awards. He should really thank them for 1) continueing to milk the formula while it's still working and 2) for not being as handsome in a cowboy hat as him so he can be the one on stage instead of them.

Get off my radio station you ****ing moron, bastard, piece of shit.

ptlyon
01-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Just settle down and play Mellencamp's "Peaceful World".

Baby Lee
01-21-2005, 10:38 AM
I hear he's drafting a safety and converting him to corner, too.

This has all the quality schadenfraude of a career porta-potty cleaner cursing a blue streak about the new line of inferior chemicals he has to use.

Bowser
01-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Someone forgot their Midol this morning.

And, fwiw, I agree wholeheartedly about Tim McGagme( ROFL ). My hatred of him started when he a nd his wife were doing those smoochie-smoochie songs with each other. Blech.

RNR
01-21-2005, 10:40 AM
ROFL When has Tim ever been country? Have you caught his lastest song? I can not recall the name I saw it on CMT. He is singing with a rapper.

Taco John
01-21-2005, 10:41 AM
I QUIT!

This cliche is getting way old...

Bowser
01-21-2005, 10:43 AM
This cliche is getting way old...

You made the bed.........

:D

WilliamTheIrish
So this is what it's really like at WKRP in Quincy?

Sans the beautiful girls, of course..

Dr. Johnny Fever
ROFL When has Tim ever been country? Have you caught his lastest song? I can not recall the name I saw it on CMT. He is singing with a rapper.
"Over and Over" with Nelly....which is an appropriate title for that redundant pos.... and Tim is categorized as country....is played mostly on country stations, uses country writters, producers, instrumentation etc.... and wins country awards. He's now crossing over.

Eleazar
01-21-2005, 10:46 AM
I was unaware that the pop charts had some form of musical integrity.

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 10:47 AM
True inspiration, artistic ability and originality isn't gone, it just doesn't have a record deal.

Matter of fact, Bob Dole will be spending a good portion of this evening listening to a couple of guys that should have been signed to a label 20 years ago.

Though you've never heard of him, worthless dave almond (lack of caps at Dave's request) has written some of the best damned material Bob Dole has ever had the pleasure of hearing. Mighty Jeff Carey's Cathead Biscuit (http://www.sonicbids.com/epk/epk.asp?epk_id=21671) project is finally starting to get some attention, so maybe that will change...

gblowfish
01-21-2005, 10:47 AM
MC McGraw should tour with Chris Gaines.

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Suggestion, Todd:

Go out to eat at your favorite (affordable) restaurant before you go home tonight, have a couple of beers or adult beverages.

Have a couple more beverages when you get home; then retire to the stereo....with your head phones, and your handy dandy lazy boy. Put Led Zepplin IV or Nirvana Nevermind (or Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits :hmmm: ). Continue this for a couple of hours, or until you fall asleep.

Of course, take my advice at your own risk; whatever you do, stay the hell away from the Planet until you are either sober OR no longer pissed off. :thumb:

beavis
01-21-2005, 10:49 AM
The world needs ditch diggers too.

Dr. Johnny Fever
So this is what it's really like at WKRP in Quincy?

Sans the beautiful girls, of course..
Sadly yes. I told the Program Director yesterday that I won't be playing that particular song on my shift. I can't stop it from playing in other dayparts but you won't be hearing it when I'm on. He just smiled and said ok.

Dr. Johnny Fever
The world needs ditch diggers too.
Yes...Tim would make a great one.

RNR
01-21-2005, 10:51 AM
"Over and Over" with Nelly....which is an appropriate title for that redundant pos.... and Tim is categorized as country....is played mostly on country stations, uses country writters, producers, instrumentation etc.... and wins country awards. He's now crossing over.
I was kidding with the when was he country question. I have got to the point where I don't even listen to the radio anymore. I guess I am unhip I have never heard of Nelly.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 10:51 AM
This has all the quality schadenfraude of a career porta-potty cleaner cursing a blue streak about the new line of inferior chemicals he has to use.
Some radio is actually good and some of us actually have talent believe it or not.

RNR
01-21-2005, 10:52 AM
MC McGraw should tour with Chris Gaines.
ROFL

ClearmontChief
01-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Reliable sources too will let you know that McGraw's singing is carefully 'adjusted' by the sound people. Apparently, he's tone deaf and can't sing really well...but, of course, has 'the look'. A crafty sound man REALLY helps his 'tone'.

However, McGraw isn't the first person to run out similar songs & stories.

Ever here of Boston? Hank Williams, Sr, Ozzy Osbourne, How about Shania Twain...I'm a tough bitch, don't mess with me, over and over and over? Every single RAP CRAP song I've heard sounds exactly the same...some angry punk chanting the same 4-5 words over and over to some 'very similar sounding as the next' driving bass beat. Hell, even everything Elvis sang sounded exactly the same.

The "formula's" been working forever, why does it shock you so much now?

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 10:53 AM
True inspiration, artistic ability and originality isn't gone, it just doesn't have a record deal.

True. Bob Dole makes a good point.

ptlyon
01-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Quick! Everyone call Y101 and request it!

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Suggestion, Todd:

Go out to eat at your favorite (affordable) restaurant before you go home tonight, have a couple of beers or adult beverages.

Have a couple more beverages when you get home; then retire to the stereo....with your head phones, and your handy dandy lazy boy. Put Led Zepplin IV or Nirvana Nevermind (or Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits :hmmm: ). Continue this for a couple of hours, or until you fall asleep.

Of course, take my advice at your own risk; whatever you do, stay the hell away from the Planet until you are either sober OR no longer pissed off. :thumb:
ROFL

Thanks.

:thumb:

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 10:56 AM
Reliable sources too will let you know that McGraw's singing is carefully 'adjusted' by the sound people. Apparently, he's tone deaf and can't sing really well...but, of course, has 'the look'. A crafty sound man REALLY helps his 'tone'.

However, McGraw isn't the first person to run out similar songs & stories.

Ever here of Boston? Hank Williams, Sr, Ozzy Osbourne, How about Shania Twain...I'm a tough bitch, don't mess with me, over and over and over? Every single RAP CRAP song I've heard sounds exactly the same...some angry punk chanting the same 4-5 words over and over to some 'very similar sounding as the next' driving bass beat. Hell, even everything Elvis sang sounded exactly the same.

The "formula's" been working forever, why does it shock you so much now?
It's pissed me off for a long time. But asswad just made his way to the station I'm on and the camel's back just broke.

:)

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Quick! Everyone call Y101 and request it!
ROFL

I'll tell you what I'd tell everyone else........... "I'll try to get that right on..."........ click.

ROYC75
01-21-2005, 11:03 AM
My wifes favorite song.

BTW, she is dying ! :hmmm:

morphius
01-21-2005, 11:17 AM
My wifes favorite song.

BTW, she is dying ! :hmmm:
Marrying you was proof enough of her taste. :D

Morphius
trying to be lighthearted

ROYC75
01-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Marrying you was proof enough of her taste. :D

Morphius
trying to be lighthearted

I was hoping I didn't kill the thread ! :D

I agree with you about her marrying me, but according to her it was the best thing that ever happened to her . :hmmm:

What's up with that ?

dtebbe
01-21-2005, 11:23 AM
As for the equipment failures, try spending less on billboards and more on equipment, you'd be surprised how many fewer equipment failures you would have.

DT

4th and Long
01-21-2005, 11:24 AM
This thread only strengthens my postion as a fan of metal.

You can only force this Tim Mcgraw garbage and pop music on me AFTER you pry my Stratocaster from my cold dead hands.

ROYC75
01-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Hey beer me.......

To each his/her own. Everybody has there likes and dislikes.

My wife likes that song, it lets here know that her time is limited and she wants to make the most of it.

I can't stand the song because it is a living reality for us.

Not bitching at ya on this, but not everybody likes what you like.

Songs touch people differently in special ways........

That's just part of your job. Like me or anybody else, there are things we hate about our jobs.

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 11:41 AM
FABULOUS idea.

217-223-5292

ptlyon
01-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Oh my.

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 11:44 AM
beer me's not on the air until 2pm.

2-6, to be more precise.

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 11:48 AM
So to cut down on any possible confusion:

Between 2pm and 6pm today, call 217-223-5292 and request Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying".

Straight, No Chaser
01-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Remember the days when a song-writter would be inspired by something artistic deep inside them...sit down and often painfully struggle to make it coherent on a piece of paper? They'd be struck at odd times in odd places in odd ways by something that just had to be put to music. This is where the "art" of great song-writting came from....

Rep ^

It's too bad you are forced to play someone else's favorite songs.

Look at it this way: by the time we're taking the big sleep that crap will be long forgotten.

---->

Garcia Bronco
01-21-2005, 11:50 AM
LOL...what a gay thread..

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 11:52 AM
I was hoping I didn't kill the thread ! :D

I agree with you about her marrying me, but according to her it was the best thing that ever happened to her . :hmmm:

What's up with that ?

Was your stage name John Holmes in your youth?

MOhillbilly
01-21-2005, 11:55 AM
someone needs a good dose of Hardcore & Punk rock.

OldTownChief
01-21-2005, 11:59 AM
So to cut down on any possible confusion:

Between 2pm and 6pm today, call 217-223-5292 and request Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying".

I'm gonna request a shitload of Brooks and Dunn

slivo6
01-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Talent? Dude, anyone can master a CD changer.
:clap:

Calcountry
01-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Throughout my 15 year radio career I've delt with format changes, inept ****ing ownership/management, shitty equipment failures that lead to lost revenue, employees under my tutilage that can't show up for work, a dead economy that causes sales to suffer greatly, office politics out the ass and just about everything else including drought and locusts. However...nothing has made me want to throw the whole ****ing thing to the dogs and call it a day more than the latest assalt on the mentality of the music and the broadcasting business......... Tim mother-****ing-McGraw crossing over onto the pop charts...

It was bad enough that this complete waste of oxygen teamed up with pop/rap star Nelly to do a "duet" that you could hardly even hear the country fuggtard in. Now his song "Live Like Your Were Dying" has crept onto MY STATION! MY pop (actually Hot Adult Contemporary) station. Now don't get me wrong... I am well aware that a high percentage of pop music blows goats. I know that the format I am currently working in is not a format of high musical integrity and often talent. That said... this is going too far. Even though Jessica Simpson and the like suck ass... at least they do it with "song-writting" that isn't so corporately driven (I'll get back to that in a moment) and certainly doesn't make me want to shoot myself in the head simply from the sound. Tim McGag and his current band of fellow country simpleton's have no place anywhere outside of Nash-my-teeth-together-when-I-hear-it-ville to me.

Remember the days when a song-writter would be inspired by something artistic deep inside them...sit down and often painfully struggle to make it coherent on a piece of paper? They'd be struck at odd times in odd places in odd ways by something that just had to be put to music. This is where the "art" of great song-writting came from. This is how great music came into being. Nowadays in Nashville, song-writters hold pre-scheduled group writting sessions where they may or may not bring an idea to build on and crank out "songs" at a pre-determined rate. We're gonna write 5 songs today..... or today we need to come up with 3 new songs for Toby Keith or Johnny Piece-of-shit's new album because it is due to come out in a month. THIS is what gives us the formulaic, re-heated, same old bullshit with a different name mentality that now rules country music. It's a corporate venture to write new songs by the dozens just so someone who currently has "the look" or "the sound" (which is all pre-determined by a producer in a studio somewhere) can get their album on the store shelves in time for the spring sales drive or Christmas rush.

Gone is true inspiration, artistic ability and originality. This is how we get songs like "Live Like You Were Dying" which is ANOTHER ****ing country "list song"........ just like many other Tim My-dad-had-more-talent-in-his-left-pinky-than-is-in-my-whole-body McGagme songs before it. It's the formula. The song starts with a sweet little line or two about something to tug the heart-strings of the "it's about real life" bullshit country listener.... then the chorus "lists" a bunch of shit to expand on the idea and hook said listener. "Live Like You Were Dying" lists things to do before you die......"Everywhere" lists places the singer "sees" his lost love in his dreams........ "Don't Take The Girl" lists all the friends the singer wants to take fishing, other than of course, the girl. It's the same bullshit, pre-packaged formula that most country music is based on...but it's certainly not the only formula. I particulary loath the "chronological life/love/whatever story" formula too.

Tim Fuggtard McGraw is the biggest offender of this kind out there right now..... and has the nerve to thank the song-writters for "another great song" when he wins awards. He should really thank them for 1) continueing to milk the formula while it's still working and 2) for not being as handsome in a cowboy hat as him so he can be the one on stage instead of them.

Get off my radio station you ****ing moron, bastard, piece of shit.Wash the soul with some Hank Williams, "I am so lonesome I could die."

There has never been a more twangy sounding bastige than him.

lmao.

easy their beer man, the real truth "Clarice", is that you are still hurting from your Chiefs and their ineptitude in the FO and Coaching.

Quid pro quo Clarice.

:p

Rausch
01-21-2005, 12:21 PM
someone needs a good dose of Hardcore & Punk rock.

I didn't know there was any worth listening to after about...oh...95 or so...

Chief Henry
01-21-2005, 12:22 PM
217-223-5292

Your brutal BD....but dam funny :clap:

Chief Henry
01-21-2005, 12:24 PM
So Beer Me is calling C-W fans simpletons....

Ultra Peanut
01-21-2005, 12:24 PM
It was bad enough that this complete waste of oxygen teamed up with pop/rap star Nelly to do a "duet" that you could hardly even hear the country fuggtard in.Personally, I find it hard to separate their voices.

slivo6
01-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Sadly yes. I told the Program Director yesterday that I won't be playing that particular song on my shift. I can't stop it from playing in other dayparts but you won't be hearing it when I'm on. He just smiled and said ok.
Good thing we can change the station we're listening to.

MOhillbilly
01-21-2005, 12:29 PM
I didn't know there was any worth listening to after about...oh...95 or so...

Check out the Hoods. Blood for Blood.
there are always the classics,and it always amazes me that you can have 600 records and still have 1000 albums of rockin shit that youve never heard of.

bogie
01-21-2005, 12:34 PM

Mari-i-i-i-i-aa oh my Mari-ia

Pants
01-21-2005, 12:36 PM
beer me, you MUST play that numa numa numa-yay song. Allo? Haiduk. Fettucini, blah blah blah, numa numa numa numa-yay.

Pants
01-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Mari-i-i-i-i-aa oh my Mari-ia

F*CK.

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Your brutal BD....but dam funny :clap:

Bob Dole heard a rumor that the information has been posted on another website, as well.

Ultra Peanut
01-21-2005, 01:03 PM
beer me, you MUST play that numa numa numa-yay song. Allo? Haiduk. Fettucini, blah blah blah, numa numa numa numa-yay.Hiiiiiiiiiyaheeeeee
Hiiiiiiyahoooo
Hiiiiiiyaha
HiiiiiiiiiiiyaHAHHAH

Rausch
01-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Check out the Hoods. Blood for Blood.
there are always the classics,and it always amazes me that you can have 600 records and still have 1000 albums of rockin shit that youve never heard of.

You'll have to tell me what you think of this:

http://www.fragileporcelainmice.com/downloads/00002/hi/index.htm

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Correction.

The request line is 217-223-9028

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 02:31 PM
As for the equipment failures, try spending less on billboards and more on equipment, you'd be surprised how many fewer equipment failures you would have.

DT
Tell that to my ownership/management. Actually I was talking about a station I worked at 8 years ago with that statement. The equipment where I am now is generally quite good. Got a brand new on air board coming in two weeks even.

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Tell that to my ownership/management. Actually I was talking about a station I worked at 8 years ago with that statement. The equipment where I am now is generally quite good. Got a brand new on air board coming in two weeks even.

And an answering machine on the studio line.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 02:33 PM

You can only force this Tim Mcgraw garbage and pop music on me AFTER you pry my Stratocaster from my cold dead hands.
I'm right there with you man. actually I have an appreciation for many styles of music....as long as it's done well.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 02:34 PM
It's writing.

And, I liked don't take the girl. Did you listen past the first verse?
Yes. It sucks.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Talent? Dude, anyone can master a CD changer.
Yea.......you're right.................. that is all there is to it. I'm sure you're just kidding but that is the great mis-conception. Playing the music is about 1% of the job.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Not bitching at ya on this, but not everybody likes what you like.

Well they should damn it............

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 02:37 PM
217-223-5292
1-800-653-5292 toll free

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Yea.......you're right.................. that is all there is to it. I'm sure you're just kidding but that is the great mis-conception. Playing the music is about 1% of the job.

Apparently, answering the ****ing phone is 0%.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 02:38 PM
6pm is when the e-mails to his boss start.

"I called repeatedly asking to hear the new Tim McGraw song. Mr. Miles outright REFUSED to play it. He even got surly. This doesn't seem like an appropriate way to treat your listeners."
Go for it. I already told him I'm not playing it. He smiled and said ok.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 02:39 PM
LOL...what a gay thread..
LOL...what a gay poster.

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Haha.

You know, that annoys the hell out of me; we DO have a smiley for that... :p

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 02:40 PM
I actually kind of like B&D.....but since they haven't crossed over we don't have any anyway.....sorry.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Wash the soul with some Hank Williams, "I am so lonesome I could die."

There has never been a more twangy sounding bastige than him.

lmao.

easy their beer man, the real truth "Clarice", is that you are still hurting from your Chiefs and their ineptitude in the FO and Coaching.

Quid pro quo Clarice.

I love old country. It was original. Now it's all shit.

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 02:42 PM
I didn't stick my tongue out at Bob Dole. I laughed at his post.

No, I was stickin' my tongue out at you....this would be the haha one, I suppose:

:LOL:

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 02:46 PM
And an answering machine on the studio line.
Yep...that's because whilst I'm "on" at 2pm, I'm not really live until 4pm....and because it gives us a chance to record every caller even if we're not in the studio... and because I don't have to take your stupid fuggin' requests if I don't feel like it.....Nothing fugs up the rotation faster than playing too damn many requests....then people will really bitch that they hear the same songs too much.

Pennywise
01-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Yep...that's because whilst I'm "on" at 2pm, I'm not really live until 4pm....and because it gives us a chance to record every caller even if we're not in the studio... and because I don't have to take your stupid fuggin' requests if I don't feel like it.....Nothing fugs up the rotation faster than playing too damn many requests....then people will really bitch that they hear the same songs too much.

Sounds to me like someone needs to go skydiving, climbing in the Rockies or perhaps 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 03:11 PM
We wouldn't want to have too many requests screw up "The Wee Todd Show" now would we?

OldTownChief
01-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Sounds to me like someone needs to go skydiving, climbing in the Rockies or perhaps 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.
yup

FloridaChief
01-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Were you pleased that Michael Powell announced his resignation today?

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Were you pleased that Michael Powell announced his resignation today?

Dude! You broke out with the Crown yet; I'm about to head off for the Boulevard "twofers" at happy hour.... :thumb:

Pants
01-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Hahaha, OTC, rep for the sig. Awesome.

FloridaChief
01-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Dude! You broke out with the Crown yet; I'm about to head off for the Boulevard "twofers" at happy hour.... :thumb:

No, not yet. Just getting ready to crack open a Bud Light for appetizers...

Bought a new bottle of Crown today, though. The big boy, 1.75 liter. $40 on the base, best deal in the universe.

Enjoy your Boulevard...

OldTownChief
01-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Hahaha, OTC, rep for the sig. Awesome.

I'm leaving that song on loop to protest beer me hatrid for Tim.

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 03:24 PM
No, not yet. Just getting ready to crack open a Bud Light for appetizers...

Bought a new bottle of Crown today, though. The big boy, 1.75 liter. $40 on the base, best deal in the universe.

Enjoy your Boulevard...

$40....I see the 750 ml for $24-26 and think, "ouch"

Enjoy, Eric. Probably see you around later. :thumb:

FloridaChief
01-21-2005, 03:27 PM
I didn't even know Crown sold 1.75s.

Dude, please.

http://www.thewhiskystore.de/cdn/gimli/f06069_4.jpg

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Really? I expect to pay 20-25 bucks for a fifth of liquor.

Most are around $20 or less...

Not Crown, unless it's an "availability" issue here in the frozen tundra of the Northern Plains... :hmmm:

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 03:32 PM

Masochist.

FloridaChief
01-21-2005, 03:33 PM
$40....I see the 750 ml for $24-26 and think, "ouch"

Enjoy, Eric. Probably see you around later. :thumb:

Addiction's a financial bitch, innit?

Especially when it's Crown Royal. You should see some of my bar bills after a night of Crown & Diets. Whenever my bartender sees me coming though the door...she just smiles and grabs the Cown bottle. She knows my dumb ass is good for a hundy +....

FloridaChief
01-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Most are around $20 or less...

$21 for a 750 Crown on base. Nice discount...

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 03:35 PM
We wouldn't want to have too many requests screw up "The Wee Todd Show" now would we?
Exactly. Now you're getting it. It's all about me. Start liking it.

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Er, what?

You realize the top end of my range is right in between 24 and 26, right? What I was trying to say is that I don't understand why that price would elicit an "ouch".

Sorry; I misunderstood and had to edit...most good "label" stuff here can be had for less than $20 per fifth....Crown runs another $5-6 here...

Pennywise
01-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Drink the expensive stuff and LIVE LIKE YOU WERE DYING!!

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Boy....you've really put me in my place now.

Mr. Kotter
$21 for a 750 Crown on base. Nice discount...

Shit, we better knock this sh*t off....before tommykat comes around to chastise us for talkin' liquor prices... :banghead:

FloridaChief
After living in Tucson for awhile, I wandered back into my regular Scottsdale bar one weekend. They'd done considerable remodeling. I made mention of it to the owner, and his response was, "Yeah, it'd be a lot easier if you were still in town."

I know the feeling. The pub I go to bought 7 new TV's and a DirectTV subscription this year. I've a sinking feeling I largely subsidized their purchases...

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Drink the expensive stuff and LIVE LIKE YOU WERE DYING!!
I repped you for the first one but now you're going to the well too much...

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Whew. I thought I f*cked up.

Maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention to prices. What's "good label" stuff?

Glenfiddich, Glenlevit (sp?), JW Red, Black Velvet, Bailey's, Kaluhua, Jose Cuervo....the namebrand stuff, not the Phillips or McCormick label stuff. Not that I am THAT much of an expert....beer usually does well for me.

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Heh... this stuff's only eight bucks a fifth!

http://frys.adinsertsonline.com/KrogerFrysFrysFood01192005/breakouts/b227649_17.jpg

Definitely would have to "filter" that stuff I'm afraid.... ROFL

FloridaChief
01-21-2005, 03:43 PM

http://frys.adinsertsonline.com/KrogerFrysFrysFood01192005/breakouts/b227649_17.jpg

Pour a tablespoon of vanilla extract in a shot of that stuff and I'm sure it'd be.............drinkable.

FloridaChief
01-21-2005, 03:44 PM
they don't even f*cking have Crown Royal.

Never order from them again.

Bowser
01-21-2005, 03:53 PM
After living in Tucson for awhile, I wandered back into my regular Scottsdale bar one weekend. They'd done considerable remodeling. I made mention of it to the owner, and his response was, "Yeah, it'd be a lot easier if you were still in town."

Heh.

You and FloridaChief should get your names soldered onto your favorite barstools, or something.

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Glenlivet for under $20 a fifth? I gotta shop at that store.

Crown really probably should be a few bucks more than JW Red or Cuervo. Looks like Red is $20/fifth on Bashas.com

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong shit... but the only Black Velvet I'm picturing in my mind is not something good.

Like I said, I'm no expert... :shrug:

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm glad I learned this way. I'm never sending you to the store to pick up whiskey for me.

I'm the type that finds somethin' I like and sticks with it, for the most part. I've been on a White Russian/Boulevard Pale Ale kick for about six months.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 04:02 PM
I'm the type that finds somethin' I like and sticks with it, for the most part. I've been on a White Russian/Boulevard Pale Ale kick for about six months.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................

go bo
01-21-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm the type that finds somethin' I like and sticks with it, for the most part. I've been on a White Russian/Boulevard Pale Ale kick for about six months.white russian, huh?

i thought you were black...

or

drinking again, huh?

Bowser
01-21-2005, 04:03 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................

Hey Stiffler!! How's that Pale Ale?

F*ck you, man!! BLEEECH!!

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 04:05 PM
I usually am. But, over the past week I've been stopping by the liquor store and picking up different beers to mix it up.

The last liquor purchasing I did was buying 1.75s of Skyy. I don't have any clue what I was paying for them. Never looked. I'm pretty sure it was the bulk of my grocery bill, tho.

Isn't Skyy a vodka?

Do you know, is there much difference, in terms of mixing it, between mid-range (say Gordon's) and something like Skyy (or Absolute, or Stoli?)? I've stayed away from the low-end stuff...

FloridaChief
01-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Glenlivet for under $20 a fifth? I gotta shop at that store.

Yeah, the last bottle of The Glenlivet I bought was $45, I think....but that was the 18-year-old stuff...Good stuff and certainly cheaper than Macallen...

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 04:06 PM
white russian, huh?

i thought you were black...

or

drinking again, huh?

ROFL

I'm 1/32nd black; but I like White Russians.....don't "we" all? :p

OldTownChief
01-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Boy....you've really put me in my place now.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Hey Stiffler!! How's that Pale Ale?

F*ck you, man!! BLEEECH!!
Yea....well I prefer.....

Bowser
01-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Yes.

Hellifiknow. I think Skyy must've been the first vodka I bought after graduating college and being able to afford name brand vodka instead of Popov or Viaka. It tasted good, and I've just been buying it out of inertia ever since, I guess.

Ever tried Grey Goose?

Bowser
01-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Yea....well I prefer.....

Nice save.

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Yes.

Hellifiknow. I think Skyy must've been the first vodka I bought after graduating college and being able to afford name brand vodka instead of Popov or Viaka. It tasted good, and I've just been buying it out of inertia ever since, I guess.

That's Gordon's for me, I guess and I can get it $14 for a 1.75 ml. :thumb:

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Bob Dole sounded like hell warmed over on the station answering machine....damn Bob Dole should try a throat losinge. (sp?) "Plow like you were farming...?" Was that what you said?

I enjoyed the chick and the goon sounding dude though......... so who all called? It was quit entertaining.

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Bob Dole sounded like hell warmed over on the station answering machine....damn Bob Dole should try a throat losinge. (sp?) "Plow like you were farming...?" Was that what you said?

I enjoyed the chick and the goon sounding dude though......... so who all called? It was quit entertaining.

Come on... "Farm like you were ranching."

Bob Dole was also "Die like you were living or whatever the hell it's called" and one other. The world's worst Ross Perot imitation was also Bob Dole. The chick named Jennifer was one of Bob Dole's employees.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Are you gonna play the f*cking song or what?
Sure.....I'll get that right on for ya.

stevieray
01-21-2005, 04:17 PM
"There goes the last DJ....."

Mr. Kotter
What do you consider the "low end" vodkas you're avoiding? Popov lives in the same neighborhood as Gordon's, pricewise.

Eh, I've had Popov (Phillip's & McCormick, to a lesser degree)....Gordon's doesn't burn. When I tended bar Gordon's was what they served as the "house" vodka--and it was at a place, they wouldn't use "cheap (harsh)" stuff in their house beverages....

Dr. Johnny Fever
Come on... "Farm like you were ranching."

Bob Dole was also "Die like you were living or whatever the hell it's called" and one other. The world's worst Ross Perot imitation was also Bob Dole. The chick named Jennifer was one of Bob Dole's employees.
Farm/ranching yea that was it...... very nice. Thanks for the effort. beer me was entertained. I might even play the fuggin song now.......

ROFL

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 04:19 PM
You oughta play Bob Dole's answering machine messages on the air...

Do share.... :hmmm:

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 04:20 PM
You oughta play Bob Dole's answering machine messages on the air...
There's an idea...... play all three messages requesting the song but then not play it. Come out of the messages with "Thanks for the calls, here's Live with "Lightning Crashes..."

stevieray
01-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Haha... awesome.

But, play Tool insted of Live.

Seasons in the Sun

Donger
01-21-2005, 04:22 PM
I had some 40 year old Glenfiddich once. It was absolute heaven.

Then again, it should be for $1,200 a bottle.

Donger
01-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Man... I like whiskey and all... but, nowhere near that much.

I didn't buy. My former employer had the penthouse at the Bellagio once during a tradeshow, and invited all the employees up for dinner.

I heard the tab was something like $10K for about seven people.

Donger
01-21-2005, 04:30 PM
That must've been some dinner.

Do you get a blowjob under the table while you're eating your filet mignon at that price?

Not that I recall.

FloridaChief
01-21-2005, 04:30 PM
I had some 40 year old Glenfiddich once. It was absolute heaven.

Then again, it should be for $1,200 a bottle.

I hope you took pictures of yourself swilling that rare bird...

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Seasons in the Sun

Well, at least Bob Dole got rid of that ****ing "DING! Fries are done!" earworm some other bastard planted this morning.

****er.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 04:38 PM
The vision of Bob Dole wandering the halls at his office softly singing "Seasons in the Sun" under his breath makes me giggle.
ROFL

Donger
01-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Well, at least Bob Dole got rid of that ****ing "DING! Fries are done!" earworm some other bastard planted this morning.

****er.

Would you like an apple pie with thaaat?

POPpystar
01-21-2005, 04:43 PM
hey... did you quit??? I might need to know the answer to that question...LOL

chiefs4me
01-21-2005, 04:45 PM

Me To Baby,,;)

Monty
01-21-2005, 04:46 PM

Heh.....gotta love that V(oluntary) I(ntoxication) P(rogram) card.....

Chief Henry
The vision of Bob Dole wandering the halls at his office softly singing "Seasons in the Sun" under his breath makes me giggle.

Thats funny

Dr. Johnny Fever
hey... did you quit??? I might need to know the answer to that question...LOL
Yes..... right after I play the McGagme song so the station implodes as I'm leaving.

Thanks for giving Bob Dole the hotline number btw......

ROFL

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Congratulations... you're now the sole breadwinner of the household!
I never really brought much to the table anyway....

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Thats funny

No, it's not.

POPpystar
01-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Congratulations... you're now the sole breadwinner of the household!

thanks... I think....LMAO

POPpystar
01-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Yes..... right after I play the McGagme song so the station implodes as I'm leaving.

Thanks for giving Bob Dole the hotline number btw......

ROFL

yw

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 05:00 PM
You don't have to tell me this...
Thanks..... with friends like you who needs a proctologist.....

Valiant
01-21-2005, 05:01 PM
todays country is yesterdays rock...

hell clapton, buffet, dillion,walsh, cocker, zztop and many others i cannot remember off the top of my head would be country music now..

stevieray
01-21-2005, 05:06 PM

hell clapton, buffet, dillion,walsh, cocker, zztop and many others i cannot remember off the top of my head would be country music now..

Maybe Buffet, but the rest don't even resemble what country has morphed into.

The new buffet song with all the country singers? Eveyone of those guys sound almost exactly alike.

stevieray
01-21-2005, 05:08 PM
No, it's not.

Yes it is.

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Yes it is.

All better now.

Second Coming cranked for 5 minutes driving home to find a frosty cold one in the fridge and Incubus playing on the stereo does wonders...

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 05:16 PM

This is true. They were a little less twangy but very similar musically.

Valiant
01-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Maybe Buffet, but the rest don't even resemble what country has morphed into.

The new buffet song with all the country singers? Eveyone of those guys sound almost exactly alike.

See there is where we think different.. A lot of new country stars: big and rich, Gracien something, kenney chesney would be classified as rock twenty years ago..

stevieray
01-21-2005, 05:23 PM
See there is where we think different.. A lot of new country stars: big and rich, Gracien something, kenney chesney would be classified as rock twenty years ago..

You've got it backwOrds, no pun intended.

you can't credit today's country stars as yesterdays' rock.

and it's not really rock, it's just polished and commercialized twangy pop.

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 05:25 PM
You've got it backwOrds, no pun intended.

you can't credit today's country stars as yesterdays' rock.

and it's not really rock, it's just polished and commercialized twangy pop.

So warmed over shit, basically.

stevieray
01-21-2005, 05:26 PM
So warmed over shit, basically.

exactly.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Ugh.. I'm pretty sure big & rich would be classified as the same thing 20 years ago that they should be now.... absolute dogshit.
Totally. Why do people actually go for that kind of shit? "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy." Can music get any worse than that?

It takes all kinds I guess.

Valiant
01-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Ugh.. I'm pretty sure big & rich would be classified as the same thing 20 years ago that they should be now.... absolute dogshit.

You may not like them but they are more rock then they are country...

And if Eric Clapton were to come out today he would be classified under country.. You may hate it, disagree with it, but it would be what it is...

Todays Country = Yesterday Rock...

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 05:35 PM
You may not like them but they are more rock then they are country...

And if Eric Clapton were to come out today he would be classified under country.. You may hate it, disagree with it, but it would be what it is...

But country is not defined the same way it was in the 70's and 80's or really even much of the 90's. There is a certain guitar sound in country now that while it is louder than country used to be, is still not rock. It's based in a more twangy overall sound than the crunchy or soaring sounds more associated with rock music. I'd say it's more of a case of country WANTS to be what rock has always been, but goes about it in a way so as to mask it to country listeners as being something born out of country roots....rather than turn those listeners off by telling them what it's really becoming.

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 05:36 PM

Exaclty.

Assuming the whole "blues" thing didn't exist.

stevieray
01-21-2005, 05:37 PM
But country is not defined the same way it was in the 70's and 80's or really even much of the 90's. There is a certain guitar sound in country now that while it is louder than country used to be, is still not rock. It's based in a more twangy overall sound than the crunchy or soaring sounds more associated with rock music. I'd say it's more of a case of country WANTS to be what rock has always been, but goes about it in a way so as to mask it to country listeners as being something born out of country roots....rather than turn those listeners off by telling them what it's really becoming.

Valiant
01-21-2005, 05:38 PM
As usual, your analysis of the situation is absolute "Big & Rich music".

Hey, I like all types of music(except gansta/hardcore rap)... And todays new-country sounds exactly like classic rock... You may think it sounds like shit, but compare lets say Seether to Deep Purple... Definitions change...

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 05:39 PM

He may be classified as "alternative country" but not mainstream. Clapton does not sound like Tim McGagme, Toby Keith and Alan Jackson...and his song-writting is WORLDS different.

stevieray
01-21-2005, 05:40 PM

Nope. Yesterdays rock hasn't changed.

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Hey, I like all types of music(except gansta/hardcore rap)... And todays new-country sounds exactly like classic rock... You may think it sounds like shit, but compare lets say Seether to Deep Purple... Definitions change...

Seriously. Stop transferring the 8-track player and the Kracos to every new vehicle.

stevieray
01-21-2005, 05:41 PM
He may be classified as "alternative country" but not mainstream. Clapton does not sound like Tim McGagme, Toby Keith and Alan Jackson...and his song-writting is WORLDS different.

boot in your ass and cocaine are the same song!

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 05:42 PM
boot in your ass and cocaine are the same song!
ROFL

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Just because today's country is played louder than older country, doesn't mean it is the same as yesterday rock. It's similar in many ways but the two have not become the same thing.

Donger
01-21-2005, 05:46 PM
I knew that there was a reason that only Tool CDs have inhabited the CD player in my car since I bought it...

Valiant
01-21-2005, 05:46 PM

Oh i agree mostly, I hate McGraws pussified music now, but his newer cds have zero country appeal besides his name... There is a new definition of country music known as alt-country, it is the groups that got rid of the twang or merged it with other music... Just like you have different types of Rock: hard-rock, pop-rock, classic-rock, nu-metal..

I do not think they Want to become Rock as they shifted more to rock by getting rid of the twang or cutting back.. It is more of a mesh, rock music with country vocals/message... The people that are doing this are drawing off of new markets... It gets people that would have never listened to it before actually go out and download it...

Another example is Rap of the early 90's compared early 00-present rap.. It just evolves...

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Oh i agree mostly, I hate McGraws pussified music now, but his newer cds have zero country appeal besides his name... There is a new definition of country music known as alt-country, it is the groups that got rid of the twang or merged it with other music... Just like you have different types of Rock: hard-rock, pop-rock, classic-rock, nu-metal..

I do not think they Want to become Rock as they shifted more to rock by getting rid of the twang or cutting back.. It is more of a mesh, rock music with country vocals/message... The people that are doing this are drawing off of new markets... It gets people that would have never listened to it before actually go out and download it...

Another example is Rap of the early 90's compared early 00-present rap.. It just evolves...
That may be true about Tim's albums...I don't listen to them. I only hear the shit he releases as singles.....which is more than enough.

I agree about the evolution though.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 05:49 PM
I occassionally swap 'em out for Johnny Cash.
I love Johnny Cash. Old country is great (a lot of it). It was honest and original. Now it...........................isn't.

Donger
01-21-2005, 05:52 PM
I occassionally swap 'em out for Johnny Cash.

Upon reflection, I have swapped mine out for a little Beethoven on occasion. That's just so I can get a little German fix.

Then again, I could just listen to Die Eier von Satan, I guess.

Valiant
01-21-2005, 05:54 PM
If you can't tell the difference between Big & Rich and Zeppelin, you should do yourself a favor and incinerate your stereo and jab an icepick in your ear repeatedly. Music is wasted on you.

Not all rock sounds like zepplein... Are you telling me Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd have anything in common with Guns-n-Roses or lets say Dido(sad i know that)... They are ALL rock, yet none sound the same....

You do a great skip towne impersonation though..

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Upon reflection, I have swapped mine out for a little Beethoven on occasion. That's just so I can get a little German fix.

Then again, I could just listen to Die Eier von Satan, I guess.

That's just today's hip hop.

Valiant
01-21-2005, 05:57 PM
That may be true about Tim's albums...I don't listen to them. I only hear the shit he releases as singles.....which is more than enough.

I agree about the evolution though.

That is all i am trying to get through... People hear the word country and think 'twang', 'rednecks', 'mullets', 'trash'.. And they are right mostly.. Kinda like people who grew up listening to hair bands and went to lets say William Chrisman... :p ROFL :thumb:

Donger
01-21-2005, 05:58 PM
That's just today's hip hop.

What the hell is "hip hop?"

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 06:01 PM

Tomorrow's rock.

Duh.

Valiant
01-21-2005, 06:03 PM
You're the one making the asinine assertion that pop-country and classic rock are the same thing. I never made any such assertion that all subgenres of rock sound alike.

You do a great impersonation of a developmentally challenged student.

No, I said they would be classified as the same if Classic Rockers came out today they would be in country and vice-versa(2005 Tim McGraw would be a rock/pop CD)... They sound very much alike TODAY... Your OPINION says different, but how much of music(different types to you listen too regulary)??? I am forced to listen to the shit for 8-10 hours a day...

Donger
01-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Tomorrow's rock.

Duh.

Gawd, I'm so "out-of-touch." I had to look it up.

So, "hip hop" is rap now?

Valiant
01-21-2005, 06:04 PM

Rap

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Gawd, I'm so "out-of-touch." I had to look it up.

So, "hip hop" is rap now?

Actually, most fans of either genre would probably say that ain't so...

Donger
01-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Actually, most fans of either genre would probably say that ain't so...

OK, so what's the difference?

Phobia
01-21-2005, 06:08 PM
So, did Todd ever play "My Next Thirty Years"?

Valiant
01-21-2005, 06:08 PM
If you're going to change your tune every other post, you oughta not leave the old contradictary ones laying around.

I'm out of here.

Yeah poor wording of choice on my part...

Phobia
01-21-2005, 06:09 PM
If you're going to change your tune every other post,

Nice.

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 06:12 PM
OK, so what's the difference?

Rap is just the MCing component of hip hop.

True hip hop technically involves MCing, DJing, graffiti and breakdancing.

FWIW, Bob Dole can't make a distinction between rap and hip hop and doesn't want to listen to enough of it to try.

Donger
01-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Rap is just the MCing component of hip hop.

True hip hop technically involves MCing, DJing, graffiti and breakdancing.

FWIW, Bob Dole can't make a distinction between rap and hip hop and doesn't want to listen to enough of it to try.

Yeah, thanks for the clarification. Clear as vodka now.

Besides, everyone knows that Adam Ant invented rap.

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Yeah, thanks for the clarification. Clear as vodka now.

Incorrect. Adam Ant invented alt-country.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 06:20 PM
So, did Todd ever play "My Next Thirty Years"?
Is that Tim Mother-****eraw? If so, I'm happy to say I don't even know it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 06:21 PM
ROFL

I thought it was Blondie....

Donger
01-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Incorrect. Adam Ant invented alt-country.

I've seen two concerts in my life, and Adam and the Ants was one of them. I was only 13 or so, but I remember that some chick jumped up on stage and grabbed hold of "Adam." He went off stage with her and the band kept playing. Went on for about 15 minutes. Then, enter Adam stage right.

I've no idea if it was real or staged, but it was pretty gnarly for a 13 year old.

Donger
01-21-2005, 06:25 PM
ROFL

I thought it was Blondie....

No, seriously. I thought "Ant Rap" was the first "rap" song ever produced.

Valiant
01-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Bob, I was going to post my 8-track collection for you.. But cannot get the cameras mp low enough to load up...

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Bob, I was going to post my 8-track collection for you.. But cannot get the cameras mp low enough to load up...

http://www.8-track.net/

Dr. Johnny Fever
Honestly I don't know....but some how I think the boys in the hood may have beat him to it.

Ultra Peanut
No, seriously. I thought "Ant Rap" was the first "rap" song ever produced.You're... very strange.

|Zach|
01-21-2005, 06:30 PM
I have a problem with the idea that were are any good songwriters or songs out there because they are not being played on the radio.

stevieray
01-21-2005, 06:31 PM
sugarhill gang..late seventies.

Kurtis Blow and a DJ's name who escapes me is as far as I can remember.

Bob Dole
I have a problem with the idea that were are any good songwriters or songs out there because they are not being played on the radio.

You've got your own threads.

Get the **** out of here.

Donger
Honestly I don't know....but some how I think the boys in the hood may have beat him to it.

Well, find out radio boy!

grandllama
01-21-2005, 06:32 PM
As if the song title itself isn't ridiculous enough, the disgusting misappropriation of five year old hip hop slang is enough to drive a person to manslaughter.

I think that song is some sort of test for society. Any person who professes to being a fan of Big & Rich fails the test, and should be dragged out back and shot. Bill their family for the bullet... if any of them manage to pass the test, that is.

Two interesting things come out of this post... one people taking music way to farking seriously, and two, my first disagreement with END on anything...

I'm not a fan of B&R, but this song has taken a life of its own... In the last year it is the only song that I can play on Rock, Retro, Dance, or Country night that is guaranteed to fill the dance floor. It has became the midnight party song and easily fills the floor with over 300+ drunk hotties in various states of undress (before, during, and after the song) after this song I play Redneck Woman and the girlies go even wilder, which makes the guys go wild, which makes it one hell of a party.

And that is what this song is about... will it go down in history as a great work of art? Probably not... but much like that farking YMCA will I still be playing it in 20 years, yeah more than likely. It is a party song. A release song. A have fun and not give a shit how cheesy it is song.

I always pity people who take music so seriously that they can't let loose and have fun once in awhile with a stupid song. A band I used to roadie for in the late 80's had a gun pulled on them for doing the 'alternative' lyrics to Stairway to Heaven (Gilligan's Island).

There is a time and place for all types of music and in no way was this post meant to slam serious music. I love the blues, Clapton is a God, and Zep is my favorite all time band, but not many of those songs are conductive to starting an all out shake your ass, get the girlies naked, party atmosphere (although Zep's rock n roll did great until it showed up in a Cadillac commercial)

And B&R never would have been classified as Rock... too much banjo and not enough cowbell ;)

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 06:32 PM

Doug E. Fresh?

Donger
01-21-2005, 06:33 PM
You're... very strange.

Well, yeah. That's been established for a long time.

So, back to the issue: What was the first "rap" title ever produced?

Dr. Johnny Fever
No. Well maybe...

Bob Dole

"The Breaks"

stevieray
You've got your own threads.

Get the **** out of here.

ROFL

|Zach|
01-21-2005, 06:34 PM

Yes, and I always thought of Grand Master Flash's "The Message" as the first rap song that made a transition into Gangster tpye rap.

stevieray
01-21-2005, 06:35 PM

"Wash yo damn legs, Cracker!"

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 06:35 PM
I always pity people who take music so seriously that they can't let loose and have fun once in awhile with a stupid song.

Is it "taking it too farking seriously" when Bob Dole rushes the stage and tackles anyone who feels the need to sing "Sweet Home Texarkana?"

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Don't know that it was the very first but...

1970: Deejay u-roy hits Jamaican pop charts with 3 songs in the top ten, featuring a style known as "toasting" one of the foundation for what would soon be called mcing or rapping. (he didn't invent toasting... it goes back centuries, possibly). other individuals in the states that were also already doing this were Jocko Henderson and Cab Calloway, to name a couple.

grandllama
01-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Well, yeah. That's been established for a long time.

The history is a little muddy on that one...

I have a billboard book that swears it was 'Rapture' by Blondie (Fab 5 Freddy did the rap in it)

I have another book that says it was Rapper's Delight by the Sugar Hill Gang (that rap song the granny covered in The Wedding Singer)

Those were both songs that 'hit'... I'm sure there was more that went nowhere...

In my little redneck part of the world we had never heard of rap until Whodini and Run DMC back in the mid 80's.

Valiant
01-21-2005, 06:38 PM
http://www.8-track.net/

Wow..

Thats all I have to say... Was that on the Bob Doles Favorites tab???

stevieray

1970: Deejay u-roy hits Jamaican pop charts with 3 songs in the top ten, featuring a style known as "toasting" one of the foundation for what would soon be called mcing or rapping. (he didn't invent toasting... it goes back centuries, possibly). other individuals in the states that were also already doing this were Jocko Henderson and Cab Calloway, to name a couple.

Cab Calloway jams at the end of the Blues Brothers movie.

Donger
"Wash yo damn legs, Cracker!"

Washed 'em on Christmas Day. I've discovered that when the itching becomes unbearable, it's time to scrub them again.

I did see a few little, black critters on them in the shower today, however. I think that they might be the cause of the itching.

grandllama
Is it "taking it too farking seriously" when Bob Dole rushes the stage and tackles anyone who feels the need to sing "Sweet Home Texarkana?"

No, Not at All ROFL

I think that would grate on me as well... it was probably funny the first time, but I'm sure you've heard it ten million times since then...

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Yes, and I always thought of Grand Master Flash's "The Message" as the first rap song that made a transition into Gangster tpye rap.
What a great song.... I used to know it by heart.

Broken glass everywhere
people pissin' on the stairs you know they just don't care
I can take the smell
I can't take the noise
got no money to move out I guess I got no choice
rats in the front room
roaches in the back
junkies in the alley with a baseball bat...

Bob Dole
The history is a little muddy on that one...

I have a billboard book that swears it was 'Rapture' by Blondie (Fab 5 Freddy did the rap in it)

I have another book that says it was Rapper's Delight by the Sugar Hill Gang (that rap song the granny covered in The Wedding Singer)

Those were both songs that 'hit'... I'm sure there was more that went nowhere...

In my little redneck part of the world we had never heard of rap until Whodini and Run DMC back in the mid 80's.

Kurtis Blow's "The Breaks" received some damned award in 1980, but Bob Dole is too lazy to look it up.

Donger

There you go.

So, Adam Ant was the first white boy, I assume?

Donger
01-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Cab Calloway jams at the end of the Blues Brothers movie.

Yeah. That was Minnie the Moucher, wasn't it?

I don't know if I'd call that "rap."

Chief Henry
01-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Two interesting things come out of this post... one people taking music way to farking seriously, and two, my first disagreement with END on anything...

I'm not a fan of B&R, but this song has taken a life of its own... In the last year it is the only song that I can play on Rock, Retro, Dance, or Country night that is guaranteed to fill the dance floor. It has became the midnight party song and easily fills the floor with over 300+ drunk hotties in various states of undress (before, during, and after the song) after this song I play Redneck Woman and the girlies go even wilder, which makes the guys go wild, which makes it one hell of a party.

And that is what this song is about... will it go down in history as a great work of art? Probably not... but much like that farking YMCA will I still be playing it in 20 years, yeah more than likely. It is a party song. A release song. A have fun and not give a shit how cheesy it is song.

I always pity people who take music so seriously that they can't let loose and have fun once in awhile with a stupid song. A band I used to roadie for in the late 80's had a gun pulled on them for doing the 'alternative' lyrics to Stairway to Heaven (Gilligan's Island).

There is a time and place for all types of music and in no way was this post meant to slam serious music. I love the blues, Clapton is a God, and Zep is my favorite all time band, but not many of those songs are conductive to starting an all out shake your ass, get the girlies naked, party atmosphere (although Zep's rock n roll did great until it showed up in a Cadillac commercial)

And B&R never would have been classified as Rock... too much banjo and not enough cowbell ;)

Good Job outta you. Rep heading your way

Donger
Ant Rap Lyrics:
Adam ant/marco pirroni

Put some wax on the trax and slide on onta here
Hane hane hane hane hane

Hatchets in the corner ears to the ground
Improve to the groove get down to the sound
Buttons and bows and bleu blanc rouge
All things lively must be used
Liberte, egalite, au jour d’hui c’est tres tres tres
Voici l’opportunite nous incroyables

I got the moves they got the grooves
Summoned the gods and they all approved
Bad vibes akimbo on the shelf
Bit of a rap thing going for myself
This gold on the teeth’s no sense at all
It only matters when it’s on the wall

I’m standing here with my four men
Let’s start that rapping thing again:

Marco, merrick, terry lee, gary tibbs and yours truly
In the naughty north and in the sexy south
We’re all singing I have the mouth
I have the mouth

So tired of anarchists looking at me
Don’t need their credibility
"destroy," they say, "defy! condemn!"
As long as you don’t destroy them
With twenty years of drugs and drink
I thought the time had come to think
About standing up and saying that
It’s tragedy and such old hat

Let’s start that rapping thing again:

(I got) marco, merrick, terry lee, gary tibbs and yours truly
I have the mouth

These happy feet are all we need
Summoned the gods and they all agreed
These feet won’t stop they’re in such a hurry
I knock it on the head and I go for a curry
Staying sober can be neat
Get drunk on these here happy feet
Keep on trying to pin me down
"why a title for your sound? "
Let’s do this rapping thing again:

I got marco, merrick, terry lee, gary tibbs and yours truly
We’re all singing I have the mouth...

And I have the mouth
And you have the mouth
And they got the mouth

grandllama
Kurtis Blow's "The Breaks" received some damned award in 1980, but Bob Dole is too lazy to look it up.

Yeah, I remember that, but i think Rapper's Delight was like 1979... The copyright on Let Me Clear My Throat is late 70's too..

grandllama
01-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Yeah. That was Minnie the Moucher, wasn't it?

I don't know if I'd call that "rap."

That I believe is called 'scat' (and not the kind Mr. Berry is into)

I don't think it is to much of an illogical step to think scat eventually evolved into rap...

|Zach|
01-21-2005, 06:43 PM
What a great song.... I used to know it by heart.

Broken glass everywhere
people pissin' on the stairs you know they just don't care
I can take the smell
I can't take the noise
got no money to move out I guess I got no choice
rats in the front room
roaches in the back
junkies in the alley with a baseball bat...
Hell ya

|Zach|
01-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side...

Ultra Peanut
01-21-2005, 06:45 PM
The Message rules.

grandllama
01-21-2005, 06:46 PM
And back on Beer's original topic, I can't stand Tim McGraw either (never forgave his dad for the 1980 W.S... he could have let Willie hit one)

But as for being enough to make me quit DJing... well if Jessica, Ashley, Britney, Hillary, and Lindsey, haven't made me quit, I sincerely doubt that Tim will... (although with the pop princesses, I just play their video so I have some eye candy in the booth while the music corrupts the youth)

grandllama
01-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side...

Oh Jezzus Craps that song bites... ROFL

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 06:47 PM
The Message rules.
Don't push me cause I'm close to the edge
I'm tryin' not to lose my head
huh huh huh huh huh
it's like a jungle sometimes it makes me wonder how I keep from going under

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 06:48 PM
And back on Beer's original topic, I can't stand Tim McGraw either (never forgave his dad for the 1980 W.S... he could have let Willie hit one)

But as for being enough to make me quit DJing... well if Jessica, Ashley, Britney, Hillary, and Lindsey, haven't made me quit, I sincerely doubt that Tim will... (although with the pop princesses, I just play their video so I have some eye candy in the booth while the music corrupts the youth)
yea....I'm not really gonna quit....that was just for effect.

|Zach|
01-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Oh Jezzus Craps that song bites... ROFL

Rausch
01-21-2005, 06:49 PM
I don't think it is to much of an illogical step to think scat eventually evolved into rap...

Or, that rap eventually devolved into scat...

RedNFeisty
01-21-2005, 06:51 PM

There are many, many songs that I would not generally listen to on the radio, but love to party to!! Great point grandllama!!

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-21-2005, 06:53 PM
There are many, many songs that I would not generally listen to on the radio, but love to party to!! Great point grandllama!!
Don't encourage him! We're trying to be elitist know-it-alls here!

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Or, that rap eventually devolved into scat...

Actually, good scat singing is kind of cool. Don't be slinging shit at Ella or Bob Dole will come kick your ass.

Jonathan Davis is the only one Bob Dole can think of off-hand that still does it.

FloridaChief
01-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Eat it, F*CKERS!!!!!----BWAHHAAHHHH!!!!!!!!

Owoooooooo
Who's that I see walkin' in these woods
Why, it's Little Red Riding Hood
Hey there Little Red Riding Hood
You sure are looking good
You're everything a big bad wolf could want
Listen to me

Little Red Riding Hood
I don't think little big girls should
Go walking in these spooky old woods alone
Owoooooooo

What big eyes you have
The kind of eyes that drive wolves mad
So just to see that you don't get chased
I think I ought to walk with you for a ways

What full lips you have
They're sure to lure someone bad
So until you get to grandma's place
I think you ought to walk with me and be safe

I'm gonna keep my sheep suit on
Until I'm sure that you've been shown
That I can be trusted walking with you alone
Owoooooooo

Little Red Riding Hood
I'd like to hold you if I could
But you might think I'm a big bad wolf so I won't
Owoooooooo!

What a big heart I have-the better to love you with
Little Red Riding Hood
Even bad wolves can be good
I'll try to be satisfied just to walk close by your side
Maybe you'll see things my way before we get to grandma's place

Hey there Little Red Riding Hood
You sure are looking good
You're everything that a big bad wolf could want
Owoooooooo
I mean baaaaaa
Baaa

SAM THE SHAM AND THE PHARAOHS

grandllama
01-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Actually, good scat singing is kind of cool. Don't be slinging shit at Ella or Bob Dole will come kick your ass.

Jonathan Davis is the only one Bob Dole can think of off-hand that still does it.

I think he was kinda meaning that today's rap has degenerated into the kind of scat that Chuck Berry does get off on...

RINGLEADER
01-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Just settle down and play Mellencamp's "Peaceful World".

Don't worry, be happy...

Bob Dole
01-21-2005, 07:07 PM
I think he was kinda meaning that today's rap has degenerated into the kind of scat that Chuck Berry does get off on...

MAybe so, but Bob Dole wanted to make it perfectly clear that Miss Ella is off-limits.

Hammock Parties
01-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Boba Bad Guy? ROFL

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 10:18 PM

Maybe you guys eventually get to this, but I gotta correct you:

"Rapper's Delight" by the Sugarhill Gang was the first rap song..... :rolleyes:

Even I know that.... :shake:

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 10:18 PM

Shoulda know Stevie would come through... :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I remember that, but i think Rapper's Delight was like 1979... The copyright on Let Me Clear My Throat is late 70's too..

Yep. :thumb:

Skip Towne
01-21-2005, 10:54 PM
You shouldn't take music so seriously.
Shouldn't you be off getting drunk somewhere?

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Shouldn't you be off getting drunk somewhere?

How many fatties you had today, Skip?

FTR, I'm savin' myself for you; if we ever meet at a CP function, I'm expectin' you to reintroduce me to MaryJane... :hmmm:

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Maybe you guys eventually get to this, but I gotta correct you:

"Rapper's Delight" by the Sugarhill Gang was the first rap song..... :rolleyes:

Even I know that.... :shake:
First rap "hit" maybe....not first rap song. You stand corrected.

Demonpenz
01-22-2005, 01:33 PM
First rap "hit" maybe....not first rap song. You stand corrected.

We all know i smoke alot of drugs, but is it me or does some of that really old country shit seem like rapping. I mean when johnny cash came up with some jams it seems like he is rapping.

Demonpenz
01-22-2005, 01:34 PM
there is a difference between hip hop and just a rap song

Demonpenz
01-22-2005, 01:36 PM
In fact i am pretty sure edgar allen poe was a good rapper. Put a baseline to pit in the pendulum and you got panties coming off on the dance floor

Raiderhater
01-22-2005, 01:42 PM
That song makes me want to hurt people. Once upon a time the Macarena filled dance floors, too. It's still an irritating piece of crap.

Millions of people tune into reality shows every week, too. I'm still gonna call them garbage.

I'm glad the song helps your business. But, just know, you've sold your soul to the devil. ;)

Macarena is hardly comparable to Save A Horse.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-22-2005, 01:46 PM
They're both raging pieces of shit that appealed to people who like shit.

grandllama
01-22-2005, 01:48 PM

eh, that POS is filling floors again... played it a lot during last years prom season and played it thursday night by request... filled the floor... I went outside for some air... ROFL

grandllama
01-22-2005, 01:54 PM
That song makes me want to hurt people. Once upon a time the Macarena filled dance floors, too. It's still an irritating piece of crap.

Millions of people tune into reality shows every week, too. I'm still gonna call them garbage.

I'm glad the song helps your business. But, just know, you've sold your soul to the devil. ;)

Yeah, its irritating, but I can live with it as long as the girlies go nutz...

I've never watched a reality show... not even one episode of Survivor.

And I know, my soul is toast as my buddies in the bands remind me every week when 'they' come in to see my shows :)

Raiderhater
01-22-2005, 01:59 PM
eh, that POS is filling floors again... played it a lot during last years prom season and played it thursday night by request... filled the floor... I went outside for some air... ROFL

If you want to compare based upon filling the dance floor, sure both songs can be compared to the other. However, in terms of the type of music, lyrics, ect. Save A Horse is a masterpiece "in comparison" to Macarena.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-22-2005, 02:07 PM
If you want to compare based upon filling the dance floor, sure both songs can be compared to the other. However, in terms of the type of music, lyrics, ect. Save A Horse is a masterpiece "in comparison" to Macarena.
I'd rather listen to Macarena. At least I can't understand it. And I think it's shorter.

Raiderhater
01-22-2005, 02:10 PM
I'd rather listen to Macarena. At least I can't understand it. And I think it's shorter.

That is one of my issues with Macarena, I do not care for most songs that I cannot understand the lyrics to.

Raiderhater
01-22-2005, 02:18 PM
Let's do a little lyrical comparison -

Macarena

When I dance they call me macarena
and the boys they say that I´m buena
they all want me, they can´t have me
So they all come and dance beside me
move with me jam with me
and if your good i take you home with me
A la tuhuelpa legria macarena
Que tuhuelce paralla legria cosabuena
A la tuhuelpa legria macarena Eeeh, macarena
A-Hai 2x
Now don´t you worry ´bout my boy friend
the boy who´s name is Nicorino
I don´t want him, ´cause sent him
he was no good so I - hahaaaa
Now, come on, what was I supposed to do ?
He was outta town and his two friends were soooo fine
Ref. 2x
Claps Ahai Ahai
Keys
Ref. 2x
Lach
Come and find me, my name is Macarena
always at the party,
´cause the chicos think I´m buena
come join me, dance with me
and all your fellows cat hello with me
Ref. 5x

Save A Horse (Ride A Cowboy)

Dum de de dum, de de dum, de de dum, de de da da.
Dum de de dum, de de dum, de de dum, de da da, la la la.

Well, I walk into the room passin' out hundred dollar bills.
An' it kills and it thrills like the horns on my Silverado grille.
An' I buy the bar a double round of Crown an' everybody's getting down,
An' this town ain't never gonna be the same.

'Cause I saddle up my horse an' I ride into the city.
I make a lot of noise 'cause the girls, they are so pretty.
Ridin' up an' down Broadway on my old stud, Leroy.
And the girls say: "Save a horse, ride a cowboy."
Everybody says: "Save a horse, ride a cowboy."

Well, I don't give a dang about nothing: I'm singing an' bling-blanging,
While the girls are drinkin' long necks down!
An' I wouldn't trade ol' Leroy or my Chevrolet for your Escalade, or your freak parade:
I'm the only John Wayne left in this town.

An' I saddle up my horse an' I ride into the city.

"Well, I'm a thoroughbred."
That's what she said in the back of my truck bed,
As I was gettin' buzzed on suds, out on some back country road.
We where flyin' high, fine as wine,
Having ourselves a Big and Rich time
An' I was going, just about as far as she'd let me go.
But her evaluation of my cowboy reputation
Had me beggin' for salvation all night long.
So I took her out, gigging frogs,
Introduced her to my old bird dog
An' sang her every Willie Nelson song I could think of.
An' we made love.

An' I saddle up my horse an' I ride into the city.

What? What?
"Save a horse, ride a cowboy."

To me, Macarena sounds like it is a 30 second song played on a loop (much like dance or techno), Sava A Horse is not like that.

Raiderhater
01-22-2005, 02:41 PM
You can't be serious.

Uh yeah, I can. It does not happen very often, but I most certainly can.

"What? What?"

It actually works well with the rest of the song if you are hearing it instead of reading it.

Raiderhater
01-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Haha. Who knew by the end of this thread I'd be on beer me's side?

I think it speaks volumes about your opinion.

stevieray
01-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Uh yeah, I can. It does not happen very often, but I most certainly can.

It actually works well with the rest of the song if you are hearing it instead of reading it.

Save a horse..ride a cowboy....

C'mon Jamie, that is cheesy as hell.

Raise your standards.

|Zach|
01-22-2005, 02:44 PM
I think it speaks volumes about your opinion.
Them are fightin words