PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here seen Friday Night Lights?

Deberg_1990
01-23-2005, 01:40 AM
Wow, just watched it. I was truly impressed. It just made my Top 10 for 2004. I think it was just about the most realistic football movie ive ever seen. It definately captured the feel of small town Texas High School football. The sights, sounds, coaches, players, boosters were so real you could almost smell them. Loved the documentary camera style as well. Made it feel more "real" If you havent seen it yet, do yoursefl a favor and go rent it.

beavis
01-23-2005, 01:46 AM
Watched it last week. Not bad. Billy Bob pulled off that coach pretty well.

Miles
01-23-2005, 01:54 AM
Just watched it a few days ago and was pretty impressed. I was thinking it may be best non-comedy sports movies i have seen other than eight men out. The acting was all solid and its probably a breakout film for Peter Berg.

Though im not sure if i liked all of the quick cuts during the games. Probably just me being a football fan and wanting to see exactly what was going on in the game.

Also one of my best friends played for a 5A school in Abilene and said it was pretty much dead on with the local pressure to win state.

Deberg_1990
01-23-2005, 02:01 AM
Just watched it a few days ago and was pretty impressed. I was thinking it may be best non-comedy sports movies i have seen other than eight men out. The acting was all solid and its probably a breakout film for Peter Berg.

Though im not sure if i liked all of the quick cuts during the games. Probably just me being a football fan and wanting to see exactly what was going on in the game.

Also one of my best friends played for a 5A school in Abilene and said it was pretty much dead on with the local pressure to win state.

Yea, Peter Berg did a bang up job. You could really tell his heart was in it. I think hes from Texas originally and knew the author of the book Bissinger.

Miles
01-23-2005, 02:07 AM
Yea, Peter Berg did a bang up job. You could really tell his heart was in it. I think hes from Texas originally and knew the author of the book Bissinger.

They had a dinner for five episode a while back on IFC that was pretty interesting. It had Billy Bob, Berg and some others on it. I was kind of suprised that Berg was the same guy i had seen acting in a buch of stuff. Had no idea he was directing now.

Seemed like his directing even had a bit of Micael Mann feel to it in this one.

Joe Seahawk
01-23-2005, 02:08 AM
I watched it last night.. Loved it!

Thornton did a great job.. I got to go read the book now..

Deberg_1990
01-23-2005, 02:13 AM
They had a dinner for five episode a while back on IFC that was pretty interesting. It had Billy Bob, Berg and some others on it. I was kind of suprised that Berg was the same guy i had seen acting in a buch of stuff. Had no idea he was directing now.

Seemed like his directing even had a bit of Micael Mann feel to it in this one.

I love that show! Table for Five! Anyhow, yea, Berg has been around awhile. He was basically a B grade actor. A few films he starred in were Shocker, Last Seduction, Copland and the TV show Chicago Hope. Hes turning into a pretty good director. His last fim was The Rundown with the Rock, which was actually alot better than it had any right to be.

Miles
01-23-2005, 02:22 AM
I love that show! Table for Five! Anyhow, yea, Berg has been around awhile. He was basically a B grade actor. A few films he starred in were Shocker, Last Seduction, Copland and the TV show Chicago Hope. Hes turning into a pretty good director. His last fim was The Rundown with the Rock, which was actually alot better than it had any right to be.

Yeah i mostly remember him as the guy that got shit on a lot in Last seduction. I really didnt like Rundown at all, but I though it could have been a lot better if it wasnt one of those toned down pg-13 action flicks. Though i did like Very Bad Things which he also directed.

Something else just noticed was Henry Rollins has a show on IFC. I dont now if its any good but he is ususally entertaining.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-23-2005, 03:07 AM
I saw it in theatre. It wasn't bad. I liked Remember the Titans better, though.

ChiefsCountry
01-23-2005, 03:14 AM
I like how everybody makes out Odessa as a small little town. Its not that small of a town. Its actually a mid sized city.

Miles
01-23-2005, 03:20 AM
I like how everybody makes out Odessa as a small little town. Its not that small of a town. Its actually a mid sized city.

I think its easily under 100k popluation. For a city in Texas that isnt big at all. And there is nothing around Odessa at either.

Frazod
01-23-2005, 03:30 AM
How ironic - I just finished watching it a couple of minutes ago. Excellent film. Man, I thought I was way to into football - those Texas f#ckers are seriously bent. Tim McGraw's character was particularly creepy. I wonder if beer me appreciated his performance. :D

And damn, did Odessa get raped in that game. Even Bowlen doesn't so completely own the refs. :shake:

Miles
01-23-2005, 03:36 AM
How ironic - I just finished watching it a couple of minutes ago. Excellent film. Man, I thought I was way to into football - those Texas f#ckers are seriously bent. Tim McGraw's character was particularly creepy. I wonder if beer me appreciated his performance. :D

And damn, did Odessa get raped in that game. Even Bowlen doesn't so completely own the refs. :shake:

I had no idea that was Tim McGraw that played the scuzzy dad. I definitly recognize the name even though i hate country music.

And yeah they pass of the turf had he pissed me off too. They got the shaft big time.

Frazod
01-23-2005, 03:39 AM
I had no idea that was Tim McGraw that played the scuzzy dad. I definitly recognize the name even though i hate country music.

And yeah they pass of the turf had he pissed me off too. They got the shaft big time.

McGraw did an excellent job and really dissappeared into the part. The only reason I knew it was him was because I heard before hand that he was in the movie.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-23-2005, 03:40 AM
I, too, didn't know until afterward that it was Tim McGraw that played that f$cked up dad. He did a good job, IMO.

Demonpenz
01-23-2005, 03:40 AM
man there was this band called "Refused" i listened to their shit when i was 19 and at my height of punk mosher. The song they play when they come out for the final game is refused New Noise. Got me so pumped up I almost starting cutting myself again

Frazod
01-23-2005, 03:42 AM
I, too, didn't know until afterward that it was Tim McGraw that played that f$cked up dad. He did a good job, IMO.

Well, to be fair, if he isn't wearing a cowboy hat he's pretty much unrecognizable. :D

Deberg_1990
01-23-2005, 03:42 AM
They also did a decent job of making it appear to be 1988. The clothes, cars, hairstyles and music were all pretty authentic from that era.

RNR
01-23-2005, 03:43 AM
McGraw did an excellent job and really dissappeared into the part. The only reason I knew it was him was because I heard before hand that he was in the movie.
And his new hair looks real!

Miles
01-23-2005, 03:43 AM

Yeah i thought he was excellent as well. He really did a great job of balancing scumbag with sympathetic father that wants best for his kid.

Frazod
01-23-2005, 03:44 AM
They also did a decent job of making it appear to be 1988. The clothes, cars, hairstyles and music were all pretty authentic from that era.

Yeah, it was pretty convincing. Hard to believe how long ago 1988 was. Damn, I'm old. :sulk:

Chiefs Pantalones
01-23-2005, 03:45 AM
Well, to be fair, if he isn't wearing a cowboy hat he's pretty much unrecognizable. :D

lol, you got that right. I know I would've recognized him if he were wearing a cowboy hat. Kinda odd how something so little like a hat can throw off something like recognizing people but it fooled me.

Demonpenz
01-23-2005, 03:46 AM
those revelution helmets put me right back in 88 (rolleeyes)

Frazod
01-23-2005, 03:47 AM
Yeah i thought he was excellent as well. He really did a great job of balancing scumbag with sympathetic father that wants best for his kid.

It was sad that the dad couldn't even fathom the idea that his kid might have a life decent enough that he wouldn't need high school memories to keep him going. The guy was an ass, but pathetic enough to warrant sympathy.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-23-2005, 03:47 AM
That QB looked oddly like Peyton Manning. And what do ya know...he lost the big game, too.

Frazod
01-23-2005, 03:49 AM
That QB looked oddly like Peyton Manning. And what do ya know...he lost the big game, too.

The way the game ended reminded me of the Titans/Lambs Super Bowl. So close, but yet so far.

Demonpenz
01-23-2005, 03:50 AM
i heart boobie!

Chiefs Pantalones
01-23-2005, 03:51 AM
The way the game ended reminded me of the Titans/Lambs Super Bowl. So close, but yet so far.

That's what I liked best about the movie. Every movie seems to end with the team winning the game, but this movie showed you what sports is really about...there's always a winner, but sadly, always a loser too, but life goes on no matter what the final score says.

Demonpenz
01-23-2005, 03:52 AM
you know movie is awesome? Little big league, ken griffey jr robs them at the end

Demonpenz
01-23-2005, 03:52 AM
i liked the part of the movie where boobie realizes that he will be a trashman. I sucked at football, but i realize i have a future in trash maintence

Miles
01-23-2005, 03:58 AM
It was sad that the dad couldn't even fathom the idea that his kid might have a life decent enough that he wouldn't need high school memories to keep him going. The guy was an ass, but pathetic enough to warrant sympathy.

Yeah thats exacly how i felt too. Kind of like his dad thought those memories were the best thing in his life so he wanted his son feel that way as well. He was a piece of shit till the end and then i though he was a pretty sympathetic charactor. I thought it was some good acting and writing.

Demonpenz
01-23-2005, 04:00 AM
Yeah thats exacly how i felt too. Kind of like his dad thought those memories were the best thing in his life so he wanted his son feel that way as well. He was a piece of shit till the end and then i though he was a pretty sympathetic charactor.

I don't know about you guys, but where i am from there are about 10 people exactly like that guy. Everytime i see them they want to relive the old days. I just politely say, yeah it was fun, but I thought college better. They want to talk about the power dive or some shit i helped block and i am like whatever

Miles
01-23-2005, 04:04 AM
I don't know about you guys, but where i am from there are about 10 people exactly like that guy. Everytime i see them they want to relive the old days. I just politely say, yeah it was fun, but I thought college better. They want to talk about the power dive or some shit i helped block and i am like whatever

Yeah i went to undergrad at a TX school and i heard a lot of high school football stories at parties. Felt the same way as you about it.

Phobia
01-23-2005, 09:52 AM

I thought the movie was great, but if you thought they did a "great" job with clothes and hairstyles, you weren't there. 1988 was all about pants rolls, hightops, insideout sweatshirts, mullets, and perms. I didn't see a whole lot of that in the movie.

Jenson71
01-23-2005, 09:54 AM
My team saw this together before our first loss. I blame the movie.

Rain Man
01-23-2005, 12:35 PM
I'm glad to hear people liked it, because I've been wanting to see it.

Of course, I'm a little bummed that YOU REVEALED THE ENDING OF THE MOVIE!