PDA

View Full Version : Steelers say no respect, I tell ya....

MGRS13
01-23-2005, 09:41 AM
teelers upset about lack of respect
Photo Gallery

click to enlarge
Running back Jerome Bettis
Chaz Palla/Tribune Review

Tools
Print this article
E-mail this article
Subscribe to this paper
Larger / Smaller Text

By Jerry DiPaola
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, January 22, 2005
The Steelers shut down most of their preparations Friday for the AFC Championship game, with some lingering resentment about their status as 3-point underdogs to the New England Patriots.

"It's the same old thing we've been going through all season," outside linebacker Joey Porter said. "The respect factor is not there. We beat everybody we played, and for some reason, they (media and other analysts) just don't believe we are a good team.

"It's one of those situations we have to go out there and keep proving ourselves. To make it all good, we have to take care of business on Sunday."

Porter's remarks were about as testy as any of the players' comments this week. They finished practice yesterday in their ice box of a practice facility -- with the heat turned off and the outside doors flung open to simulate game-day conditions -- and Cowher dismissed them with a longer than normal speech and a joke.

"Turn the fans off after practice," he said to his chilled players, and everyone left with a hearty laugh.

Many of the Steelers are facing the biggest game of their careers, but no one appeared nervous.

"You can't be nervous in these types of games," All-Pro inside linebacker James Farrior said. "This is the biggest game of our careers right now. You don't need to be nervous. You need to be excited."

Farrior normally has no trouble sleeping at night, but he said, "I'm going to be like a little kid the night before Christmas. I probably won't get too much sleep."

Defensive end Aaron Smith said he was more "anxious" than nervous.

"You believe in what you are doing," he said. "You feel like you have done all the work you can do to get ready for it. What is there to be nervous about? You feel like you have done all the preparation you can possibly do."

From the outset of the postseason, Cowher's message to his team has been this: Don't deviate from regular schedules or attitudes. They weren't uptight in the regular season; they don't feel there is any reason to change now.

"When you are loose, you play your best football," wide receiver Plaxico Burress said.

The Steelers concluded their second consecutive week of practice, with nearly 100 percent attendance. Linebackers Kendrell Bell (groin), Clark Haggans (groin), running back Verron Haynes (knee), wide receiver Antwaan Randle El (toe) and cornerback Deshea Townsend (hand) are probable on the injury list, but everyone practiced.

"We haven't been this healthy all year," Burress said. "Everybody is ready to go. If anybody has a little something bothering them, the adrenaline will take it away."

"Why be nervous?" right guard Keydrick Vincent said. "It's just another game to get to the Super Bowl."

Jerry DiPaola can be reached at trsp20@aol.com or 412-481-5432.

Back to headlines

I really don't see this as any more than a rallying cry. I mean every one will admit that they are a really good team, and big ben has been the biggest media darling all year. Now as far as being under dogs against the Patriots, well who hasn't been for the last two years?

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-23-2005, 09:49 AM
I respect the Steelers....but I'll respect them a lot more if they can beat the Patriots. NE is still the team to beat.

MGRS13
01-23-2005, 09:54 AM
I respect the Steelers....but I'll respect them a lot more if they can beat the Patriots. NE is still the team to beat.
Agreed!

Jenson71
01-23-2005, 09:56 AM
There's always someone crying about respect. Life is getting too formulaic.

Bowser
01-23-2005, 09:58 AM
I hope the Steelers pull it out, but New England just has a bad habit of winning 97% of the games they play.

MGRS13
01-23-2005, 09:59 AM
It's nothing more then saying "hey patriots we are going to kick your ass" without giving NE bulletin board material.

RNR
01-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Well the Steelers just got the kiss of the idiot along with the Eagles. Hank Goldberg has them which is reason enough to be worried if that how your money is bet.

Eleazar
01-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Well the Steelers just got the kiss of the idiot along with the Eagles. Hank Goldberg has them which is reason enough to be worried if that how your money is bet.

I've got NE +3 and ATL +5.5 going today.

I've said this whole season that the Steelers weren't that great. If they had been playing any team that wanted to win last week, they would have been bounced from the playoffs, if not suffering an outright drubbing. If they play that way today New England is going to destroy them.

They won the first meeting... but we'll see if Cowher is good enough to beat Belichick twice. Nobody's done that since his first year as head coach when they were 5-11

htismaqe
01-23-2005, 10:33 AM
I hope the Steelers get blown out.

I'm so ****ing sick of hearing them whine about lack of respect...

RNR
01-23-2005, 10:34 AM
I've got NE +3 and ATL +5.5 going today.

I've said this whole season that the Steelers weren't that great. If they had been playing any team that wanted to win last week, they would have been bounced from the playoffs, if not suffering an outright drubbing. If they play that way today New England is going to destroy them.

They won the first meeting... but we'll see if Cowher is good enough to beat Belichick twice. Nobody's done that since his first year as head coach when they were 5-11
Got a feeling about the Eagles, nothing but a gut thing. Got to go with the Patriots also.

htismaqe
01-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Got a feeling about the Eagles, nothing but a gut thing. Got to go with the Patriots also.

I put some down on Atlanta. I think they're going to punch Philly in the mouth and ground out a win.

Bowser
01-23-2005, 10:37 AM
I put some down on Atlanta. I think they're going to punch Philly in the mouth and ground out a win.

Philly will look like Beirut circa '82 if they get clowned today.

Marcellus
01-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Condoliza Rice = No repect.

MGRS13
01-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Condoliza Rice = No repect.
Gets no respect? Or has No respect for the truth?

Marcellus
01-23-2005, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE]Gets no respect? Or has No respect for the truth?

Doesn't matter either way. = No respect.

Bowser
01-23-2005, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE]Gets no respect? Or has No respect for the truth?

Doesn't matter either way. = No respect.

Last time I checked, respect was earned.

Mosbonian
01-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Wasn't Tom Brady brooding over a lack of respect the week that they played the Colts and everyone was drooling over Peyton Manning?

Everyone in the NFL has a moment that they lament a lack of respect...didn't the Pats do te same thing before they started their string of SB victories?

mmaddog

Mosbonian
01-23-2005, 11:24 AM
And, FWIW....

I want the Steeler's to win today, and for no reason other than the fact that I want to see someone else in the Super Bowl other than the Pats.

I would like to see a Steeler's vs. Falcon's matchup in the SB this year.

mmaddog

RNR
01-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Last time I checked, respect was earned.
Like most things in life, if you have enough money you can buy it also.

Bowser
01-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Like most things in life, if you have enough money you can buy it also.

OJ says you're full of shit.

;)

RINGLEADER
01-23-2005, 11:57 AM
I called all these teams being in the final four before the playoffs even began and I see the Steelers getting beat today. Something happens to this team (and Jerome Bettis in particular) when the running game gets stuffed and I predict it will be today. I don't think Big Ben will overcome the Pats defense and the Steelers will go down (although I have to say that if they win I won't mind either).

I have no interest in the Eagles-Falcons game beyond the fact that I want to see the Eagles lose in a fourth straight Championship game.

htismaqe
01-23-2005, 12:29 PM
I called all these teams being in the final four before the playoffs even began and I see the Steelers getting beat today. Something happens to this team (and Jerome Bettis in particular) when the running game gets stuffed and I predict it will be today. I don't think Big Ben will overcome the Pats defense and the Steelers will go down (although I have to say that if they win I won't mind either).

I have no interest in the Eagles-Falcons game beyond the fact that I want to see the Eagles lose in a fourth straight Championship game.

I'm rooting for the Falcons to win it all. I don't know why, but I want to see them win it.