PDA

View Full Version : Where do I find the CHKDisc Utility on Windows XP?

The Bad Guy
01-23-2005, 05:12 PM
I keep getting an error message and Windows says to run the CHKdisc utility but I can't find where it is to run it.

Anyone know where to find it?

alanm
01-23-2005, 05:21 PM
I've got 2 ways you can do it.
1. Open up my computer and right click on your C drive. Go down and click on properties and it's tabbed under tools. Or...
2. Go Start/Programs and in Accessories, click on the DOS Command Prompt. Type in chkdsk/f and hit enter. Restart your computer and it will start automatically.
Hope that helps.

The Bad Guy
01-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Thank you very much Alanm

Mr. Laz
01-23-2005, 05:42 PM
btw - when you right click the drive and go through the tools you need to check the little box that "auto fix problems"

that will make a complete check ... it will also make you schedule the disk check because some of the files have to be check before windows starts.

just reboot and it runs automatically

The Bad Guy
01-23-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm trying to fix my girlfriend's comp on the phone and she's the one trying to fix this.
She said an error message comes up when she runs the chkutility it says that it can't run the utility because it needs exclusive access to some windows files on the disc. It says that explorer.exe is running but she can't figure out how to shut explorer down.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Phobia
01-23-2005, 07:16 PM
Reboot the 'puter. Hit F5 repeatedly as it completes the memory/bios check and starts booting from disk.

This will enable you to boot into dos and run chkdsk from there.

Mr. Laz
01-23-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm trying to fix my girlfriend's comp on the phone and she's the one trying to fix this.
She said an error message comes up when she runs the chkutility it says that it can't run the utility because it needs exclusive access to some windows files on the disc. It says that explorer.exe is running but she can't figure out how to shut explorer down.

Can anyone help me figure this out?
this is what my post was about dealing with ... unless you have me on iggy of course... then could someone quote me so he can see it. :)
btw - when you right click the drive and go through the tools you need to check the little box that "auto fix problems"

that will make a complete check ... it will also make you schedule the disk check because some of the files have to be check before windows starts.

just reboot and it runs automatically

my computer > right click "C" drive > properties > Tools > Check Now > Check Both Boxes under Disk option > Start

then a popup will occur that says the error message "some files is use" ... it will ask you if you want to "schedule the Checkdisk for the next time you boot" so that those files can be check before windows starts.

say "yes"

Reboot

if this gets you laid you owe me a beer :p

The Bad Guy
01-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Laz,

I didn't have you on iggy, thank you for the help.

BTW, I just put a rock on her finger a couple weeks ago. If it takes fixing her computer to get laid I'm in massive trouble already.

Mr. Laz
01-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Laz,

I didn't have you on iggy, thank you for the help.

BTW, I just put a rock on her finger a couple weeks ago. If it takes fixing her computer to get laid I'm in massive trouble already.
ROFL

hehe ... hope it fixed the problem

The Bad Guy
01-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Well this sucks.

I ran the CHKDisc utility, seemed to work fine. I did everything Laz said, checked it all and restarted and it ran and everything seemed fine so I shutdown the comp.

When I started it back up, I got the same error message:

Windows - Corrupt File
The file or directory \$MFT is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdisk utility.

I thought it fixed it? I honestly don't know what the heck to do now.

Any help is appreciated.

The Bad Guy
01-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Also, after I hit F5 and click safe mode, a huge line of commands go on the screen and nothing happens.

Why is this?

Mr. Laz
01-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Well this sucks.

I ran the CHKDisc utility, seemed to work fine. I did everything Laz said, checked it all and restarted and it ran and everything seemed fine so I shutdown the comp.

When I started it back up, I got the same error message:

Windows - Corrupt File
The file or directory \$MFT is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdisk utility.

I thought it fixed it? I honestly don't know what the heck to do now.

Any help is appreciated.
$MFT file looks like the Master File Table

she/you didn't happen to just install or upgrade to Service Pack 2?

she running an NTFS file system?

The Bad Guy
01-24-2005, 09:18 PM
$MFT file looks like the Master File Table

she/you didn't happen to just install or upgrade to Service Pack 2?

she running an NTFS file system?

Yep she did the other day.

She said she clicked on the update thing because it kept poping up and figured to let them install. I didn't know this, she just told me last night when the error came up.

I think she is running an NTFS system. how can I check that.

The Bad Guy
01-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Yes, Laz it's NTFS.

The Bad Guy
01-24-2005, 09:27 PM
I just got onto the system restore and yep she installed service pack 2. I'm just going to restore back to a previous date.

Damn Bill Gates.

Mr. Laz
01-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Yep she did the other day.

She said she clicked on the update thing because it kept poping up and figured to let them install. I didn't know this, she just told me last night when the error came up.

I think she is running an NTFS system. how can I check that.

Yes, Laz it's NTFS.

a possibility...

$MFT is sometimes a temporary file that windows uses when installing a new program.

do a file search and see if you can locate that file

IF its just a temporary file folder you can just delete it and move on.

if not... :(

SP2 may have corrupted the Master File Table and that's not a good thing.

Mr. Laz
01-24-2005, 09:32 PM
I just got onto the system restore and yep she installed service pack 2. I'm just going to restore back to a previous date.

Damn Bill Gates.

Good luck ...

never had much success with the "Restore" system myself