PDA

View Full Version : I frickin hate poetry

David.
01-23-2005, 09:55 PM
I can't read poetry without wanting to stab myself in the eyes. I'm reading a classic for a class. The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot. I can't....stay...awake. It may say more about me growing up in the ADD generation. The fact is, I can't read it. I mean jesus, 433 lines long?!

Plus it makes me feel stupid. :(

Hammock Parties
01-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Can't say I'm surprised...

Rausch
01-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Reason 24,031 why you suck poop-tunnel...

Jenson71
01-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Dylan mentions this poem in Chronicles. I'm pretty interested...

David.
01-23-2005, 09:58 PM

you're not surprised that I don't like poetry?

David.
01-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Dylan mentions this poem in Chronicles. I'm pretty interested...

I'm gonna go over it again in about a half hour. I just can't make myself stay focused on it.

4th and Long
01-23-2005, 09:59 PM
There's a list? Can I get a copy? Better yet, could you post it?

:D

Hammock Parties
01-23-2005, 10:00 PM
you're not surprised that I don't like poetry?

I'm not surprised that you're a dumbass.

What's the name of that poem where the guy throws himself in a vat of fire after having a conversation with the devil or something? I remember reading that in college...I need to get a copy of that and frame it, it was a sweet poem.

RealSNR
01-23-2005, 10:00 PM
I've never that big of a fan of Eliot, either.

For some good stuff, try a little Whitman.

David.
01-23-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm not surprised that you're a dumbass.

What's the name of that poem where the guy throws himself in a vat of fire after having a conversation with the devil or something? I remember reading that in college...I need to get a copy of that and frame it, it was a sweet poem.

I'm not a dumbass. Just not a poetry guy.

tk13
01-23-2005, 10:01 PM
David made a thread
Everyone thought it sucked balls
Please make him stop, mods

David.
01-23-2005, 10:02 PM
I've never that big of a fan of Eliot, either.

For some good stuff, try a little Whitman.

See, I actually like Whitman.

|Zach|
Bah, says the guy who once told me he wouldn't write anything unless he knew it would somehow make him money.

David.
David made a thread
Everyone thought it sucked balls
Please make him stop, mods

.....I ****ing hate this place.

|Zach|
01-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Poetry is interesting with me. I am either really drawn in and enamored or it does nothing for me. There is nothing in between. I have always been into prose more so.

Jenson71
01-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Emo kids like and write poetry so deal with it...

David.
01-23-2005, 10:04 PM

you're a lit major? Maybe you could give me some advice instead of neg repping me.

tk13
David has a hole
No not in his vagina
It is in his mouth

Rausch
I can't read poetry without wanting to stab myself in the eyes. I'm reading a classic for a class. The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot. I can't....stay...awake. It may say more about me growing up in the ADD generation. The fact is, I can't read it. I mean jesus, 433 lines long?!

To read and comprehend The Wasteland is to understand 28 of the greatest works of literature man has ever accomplished. It is almost a code, and one that only the most read understand. It includes Greek, Roman, English, French, and Itilian lit to formulate a tale of emotional emptiness. Of longing.

The point of The Wasteland is not the meaning behind the poem, it is the sum of parts. Not the subject, but the understood mastery of the medium.

The sculpture of David isn't magnificant because of the subject, it's amazing because of the mastery of the artist's craft.

Plus it makes me feel stupid. :(

You are.

But then, that's how we all feel staring at pure genius...

David.
Emo kids like and write poetry so deal with it...

heh, maybe what's her name could help me :(

Hammock Parties
Bah, says the guy who once told me he wouldn't write anything unless he knew it would somehow make him money.

What does that have to do with anything? I'm just a greedy bastard.

|Zach|
01-23-2005, 10:05 PM
What does that have to do with anything? I'm just a greedy bastard.
Just seems like a funny stance for someone who acted high and mighty because another didn't like poetry.

David.
01-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Just seems like a funny stance for someone who acted high and mighty because another didn't like poetry.

eh, he's just trying to talk shit. That's what nearly everyone does on here. I don't mind.

tk13
.....I ****ing hate this place.
What? Haiku smack is one of the most revered forms of smack in the history of this great forum. You should feel overjoyed.

4th and Long
ROFL @ tk's poetry.

Rausch
01-23-2005, 10:08 PM
you're a lit major? Maybe you could give me some advice instead of neg repping me.

I'll be drunk soon, and then no help to anyone.

Hopefully you found my previous post-......eh.....****.......too late.

Skip Towne
01-23-2005, 10:09 PM
eh, he's just trying to talk shit. That's what nearly everyone does on here. I don't mind.
Well I don't talk shit on here. Apologize NOW!!!

David.
01-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Well I don't talk shit on here. Apologize NOW!!!

:D I said nearly everyone. You're one of the people I like on here.

Hammock Parties
01-23-2005, 10:14 PM

Just because I understand the things I read doesn't mean I should have some inner desire to become a scribe.

Skip Towne
01-23-2005, 10:15 PM
:D I said nearly everyone. You're one of the people I like on here.
Bless you, my son.

|Zach|
01-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Just because I understand the things I read doesn't mean I should have some inner desire to become a scribe.
This analogy carries no weight in the current conversation.

Hammock Parties
01-23-2005, 10:17 PM

WTF?

So can you explain why you think my greedy nature has anything to do with David. being a dumbass?

Skip Towne
01-23-2005, 10:18 PM
You and gochiefs need to get a room.

David.
01-23-2005, 10:18 PM
WTF?

So can you explain why you think my greedy nature has anything to do with David. being a dumbass?

ROFL, these online pissing contests are REALLY, REALLY starting to bore me.

|Zach|
01-23-2005, 10:19 PM
WTF?

David said he didn't like poetry...you said that doesn't suprise you..

As if you are somehow above him and more cultured yet you can only appreciate this form of art if there is money coming your way from it.

Hammock Parties
01-23-2005, 10:20 PM
ROFL, these online pissing contests are REALLY, REALLY starting to bore me.

We're having a discussion, dipshit. I am not attempting to insult ZachKC in any manner whatsoever, as he has not warranted such a stab.

|Zach|
01-23-2005, 10:20 PM
You and gochiefs need to get a room.
Maybe once one is free from one of your NAMBLA meetings with David and the other boys who are, as you put... "under your wing"

Hammock Parties
01-23-2005, 10:21 PM
David said he didn't like poetry...you said that doesn't suprise you..

As if you are somehow above him and more cultured yet you can only appreciate this form of art if there is money coming your way from it.

Your reasoning is severely flawed. I can appreciate poetry whether or not I'm getting paid to write something, be it poetry or otherwise.

In the same manner, I appreciate football although I don't play it.

Jenson71
01-23-2005, 10:21 PM
gochiefs claims to understand and appreciate poetry, yet he cannot wrap his brain around the fact that film is art.

David.
01-23-2005, 10:22 PM
We're having a discussion, dipshit. I am not attempting to insult ZachKC in any manner whatsoever, as he has not warranted such a stab.

I'm not talking about you two. I was refering to the stab you took at me.

If you weren't busy trying to one-up me you'd realize this.

Hammock Parties
gochiefs claims to understand and appreciate poetry, yet he cannot wrap his brain around the fact that film is art.

I most certainly can. And not all film is intended to be art, either.

go bo
Poetry is interesting with me. I am either really drawn in and enamored or it does nothing for me. There is nothing in between. I have always been into prose more so.heh heh...

don't much care for those amateur ho's, huh?

Hammock Parties
01-23-2005, 10:24 PM
I'm not talking about you two. I was refering to the stab you took at me.

If you weren't busy trying to one-up me you'd realize this.

One-up you? You already one-downed yourself with your stupid thread. Is KCChiefsman your older brother or something? You two seem related.

Rausch
01-23-2005, 10:25 PM
WTF?

I can.

You both are ignorant of anything not in your present circle of interest.

You both think you're open-minded in your own way, but in fact, only engage in activities or relationships that reinforce you status as an outsider. Being an oustisder defines you, so you embrace and propagate that type of lifestyle.

You choose action figures and he prefers painful self-mutilation...

David.
01-23-2005, 10:27 PM
One-up you? You already one-downed yourself with your stupid thread. Is KCChiefsman your older brother or something? You two seem related.

ROFL

I'm not gonna argue with you. In fact, I kinda feel sorry for you.

Hammock Parties
01-23-2005, 10:28 PM
I can.

You both think you're open-minded in your own way, but in fact, only engage in activities or relationships that reinforce you status as an outsider. Being an oustisder defines you, so you embrace and propagate that type of lifestyle.

Completely not true at all. I'm open-minded as hell. I'll try anything.

I'm not interested in growing a beard, but I entered into the stupid contest.

I don't collection action figures, either.

David.
01-23-2005, 10:28 PM
I can.

now I'm an outsider? This is getting richer by the moment.

Hammock Parties
01-23-2005, 10:29 PM
ROFL

I'm not gonna argue with you. In fact, I kinda feel sorry for you.

I don't need pity from a dumbass...

go bo
01-23-2005, 10:29 PM
I can.

You choose action figures and he prefers painful self-mutilation...omg! david. and gochiefs are reproducing???

go bo
01-23-2005, 10:32 PM
ROFL

I'm not gonna argue with you. In fact, I kinda feel sorry for you.ouch...

that's gonna leave a mark...

Rausch
01-23-2005, 10:34 PM
now I'm an outsider? This is getting richer by the moment.

You aren't?

Why the need for the piercings then?

'Cause it feels good?

Nope. You want to distance yourself from everyone else. You have already recognized the difference between you and others and have made a decision to make this recognition physical. It is obvious to you so you want to make it obvious to others.

It's why fat chix go goth. They figure they're already ugly, so if they go ugly ON PURPOSE it's really friggen shocking. And being shocking still gets attention, which you normally don't get when you're ugly.

go bo
01-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Completely not true at all. I'm open-minded as hell. I'll try anything.

I'm not interested in growing a beard, but I entered into the stupid contest.

I don't collection action figures, either.[diabolical voice]anything? heh heh heh...[voice off]

Hammock Parties
01-23-2005, 10:36 PM
anything?

[diabolical voice]anything? heh heh heh...[voice off]

Yeah, sure. Anything except buttsex... :D

David.
01-23-2005, 10:36 PM
You aren't?

Why the need for the piercings then?

'Cause it feels good?

Nope. You want to distance yourself from everyone else. You have already recognized the difference between you and others and have made a decision to make this recognition physical. It is obvious to you so you want to make it obvious to others.

It's why fat chix go goth. They figure they're already ugly, so if they go ugly ON PURPOSE it's really friggen shocking. And being shocking still gets attention, which you normally don't get when you're ugly.

is that it? I got it because girls seem to love it. But you can keep assuming about things you know nothing about to try to get across some point that you're pushing for absolutely no reason.

Rausch
01-23-2005, 10:40 PM
is that it? I got it because girls seem to love it.

Sure you did.

Chix dig that acorn-barb too...

But you can keep assuming about things you know nothing about to try to get across some point that you're pushing for absolutely no reason.

Don't kid yourself. I did the same thing, only I had a 9 inch goatee and $1,300 in repairs to my old apt...

go bo
01-23-2005, 10:41 PM
is that it? I got it because girls seem to love it. But you can keep assuming about things you know nothing about to try to get across some point that you're pushing for absolutely no reason.oh, c'mon laddie...

our resident angry drunken german doesn't push points for no reason...

he always has a good reason, as i'm sure he does now...

now if i could just figure it out...

go bo
01-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Sure you did.

Don't kid yourself. I did the same thing, only I had a 9 inch goatee and $1,300 in repairs to my old apt...nine inches? that's pretty good...

oh wait, were you talking about your goat?

David.
01-23-2005, 10:43 PM
Sure you did.

Don't kid yourself. I did the same thing, only I had a 9 inch goatee and $1,300 in repairs to my old apt...

Whether you believe it or not, it's true. I don't need, want, or care enough to prove it to you.

go bo
01-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Whether you believe it or not, it's true. I don't need, want, or care enough to prove it to you.oh, oh!

prove it to me, please please...

and could you do that with a girl instead of goatcheese?

and be sure to get it on a digital camcorder so we can post it on the board... :p :p :p

David.
01-23-2005, 10:49 PM
oh, oh!

prove it to me, please please...

and could you do that with a girl instead of goatcheese?

and be sure to get it on a digital camcorder so we can post it on the board... :p :p :p

hah, like I need to give you guys any more ammunition. :rolleyes: ROFL

CosmicPal
01-23-2005, 11:55 PM
You hate poetry 'cause you haven't discovered the right poet.

Poetry is like music- but, unlike music which is catergoricalized into different segments and voices, poetry is boundless. Imagine living in a family that listens to nothing but classical music and one day you realize-you can't stand the music the others in your family enjoy- so, you end up hating music entirely instead of giving other musical genre's a chance.

The fact that you gave up on music itself- would be profoundly sad and unforgiving. You'd be lifeless. But, let's say someone heard that you didn't like music simply 'cause of your distaste for Classical music; and that someone came over with a John Coltrane album, and a Miles Davis album, and a Thelonious Monk album and all of a sudden you LOVE music! Well, you just happened to discover a new genre of music- and of course, this being jazz. You love jazz so much, you end up discovering African beats, reggae, heavy metal, acid jazz, electronica, etc., etc., and before you know it- your life is enriched by this incredible flaura of art.

Well, that's how you need to treat poetry. So, you don't like Waste Land by Eliot- (it's an incredible poem), but you fail yourself if you don't at least give others a hearsay. Check out Charles Bukowski- the guy in my pic, smoking a cigarette. You just might like his poetry, and then before you know it- you're reading Cummings, Ginsberg, Brautigan, Whitman, Wordsworth, and Dylan Thomas.

Just like Robin Williams character said in the movie, Dead Poet's Society, "....let it drip from your tongues like honey..."

Just like the day you discovered the music that now endears you, you too can discover the magical wonderment of poetry when you discover the poet that speaks to you. But, until you open your ears- it's sad to say- you'll be missing so much. Check out some of the modern poets living today and struggling in the sleepy-eyed coffee shops of America- they have a voice that is so resonate, yet goes sadly unheeded in the din of our modern ignorance.

All I'm saying is- give poetry a chance.

Eleazar
01-24-2005, 12:01 AM
You want to distance yourself from everyone else. You have already recognized the difference between you and others and have made a decision to make this recognition physical. It is obvious to you so you want to make it obvious to others.

Good analysis.

David.
01-24-2005, 12:25 AM
You hate poetry 'cause you haven't discovered the right poet.

Poetry is like music- but, unlike music which is catergoricalized into different segments and voices, poetry is boundless. Imagine living in a family that listens to nothing but classical music and one day you realize-you can't stand the music the others in your family enjoy- so, you end up hating music entirely instead of giving other musical genre's a chance.

The fact that you gave up on music itself- would be profoundly sad and unforgiving. You'd be lifeless. But, let's say someone heard that you didn't like music simply 'cause of your distaste for Classical music; and that someone came over with a John Coltrane album, and a Miles Davis album, and a Thelonious Monk album and all of a sudden you LOVE music! Well, you just happened to discover a new genre of music- and of course, this being jazz. You love jazz so much, you end up discovering African beats, reggae, heavy metal, acid jazz, electronica, etc., etc., and before you know it- your life is enriched by this incredible flaura of art.

Well, that's how you need to treat poetry. So, you don't like Waste Land by Eliot- (it's an incredible poem), but you fail yourself if you don't at least give others a hearsay. Check out Charles Bukowski- the guy in my pic, smoking a cigarette. You just might like his poetry, and then before you know it- you're reading Cummings, Ginsberg, Brautigan, Whitman, Wordsworth, and Dylan Thomas.

Just like Robin Williams character said in the movie, Dead Poet's Society, "....let it drip from your tongues like honey..."

Just like the day you discovered the music that now endears you, you too can discover the magical wonderment of poetry when you discover the poet that speaks to you. But, until you open your ears- it's sad to say- you'll be missing so much. Check out some of the modern poets living today and struggling in the sleepy-eyed coffee shops of America- they have a voice that is so resonate, yet goes sadly unheeded in the din of our modern ignorance.

All I'm saying is- give poetry a chance.

that was beautiful. :D

okay I don't "hate" the waste land. I just have trouble following it, so I'm scared that I won't do well in my class.

David.
01-24-2005, 12:26 AM
Good analysis.

yet, totally false :hmmm:

Pants
01-24-2005, 01:23 AM
In Soviet Russia, the poetry hates you!

Rausch
01-24-2005, 07:47 AM

Just don't go goth on us... :shake:

Over-Head
01-24-2005, 08:25 AM
Dude,,,smoke a joint!

We did the "Rhyme of the Ancient mariner" back in school
Although not technically poetry, it was as boring as hell, till I said **** it,,,there's gotta be some way of having this crap make sense.

I’m not saying go out and get trashed, but for some reason in many people, their “creative side” will come out with a little buz going. :thumb:

About the ONLY poem that ever made sense to me was one my grade 10 teachers made me memorize, and stand up in front of the class and repeat as “punishment” for being a smart ass. That was 20 some odd years ago, and I can STILL remember it. Didn’t make sense then, but sure does now!

You can do as much as you think you can,
But you’ll never accomplish more.

If you’re afraid of your self young man,
Life has nothing for you in store.

Failure comes from the inside first,
The answers there if you only knew it.

And you’ll always win,
Though you face the worst.

But you have to believe you can do it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Poetry kicks ass..... namely yours dave.

Rausch
01-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Poetry kicks ass..... namely yours dave.

I always loved The Second Comming. Poetry is a lot of things but it's pretty rare to read a poem and say "Damn, that's just ****ing creepy..."

The Second Coming -- W. B. Yeats

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all convictions, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

CosmicPal
01-24-2005, 09:14 AM
that was beautiful. :D

okay I don't "hate" the waste land. I just have trouble following it, so I'm scared that I won't do well in my class.

I'd hate to break it to you but, Eliot's Waste Land is one of the most difficult poems on the 20th Century to try to comprehend. But, I'll try to help you make sense of it, best I can.

For starters, the title itself refers to the barren landscape of the King Arthur legend where the king and the land itself find redemption and peace through the Holy Grail.

When all the poets of his (Eliot's) tenure were advancing forward and clamping down on the past, Eliot turned heads around by retreating back to the Classical Literature with this epic poem. It was a shocking reminder of our Western Civilization through the use of arcane messages and symbols. Eliot wasn't happy with the World Wars and their contempt upon the then modern society. His view of the degradation and societal ills disgusted him, but he wrote a magnificent and alluring protrayal of this past life.

That's about all I can remember about the poem. It's been years since I've read it, but I just might re-read it when I get home tonight.

Don't get discouraged because you can't comprehend "Waste Land" It is a very difficult poem that requires an annotation.

But, as a reader, you get a raw and rare peek at European life at it's worst, written by the best poet at that time....

Eleazar
01-24-2005, 09:23 AM

:rolleyes: right.