PDA

View Full Version : Cornerback Fred Smoot

Mr. Laz
01-24-2005, 12:00 PM
i've never really thought he was a #1 cornerback ... he's better than anyone we've got, but i still think he's a #2 level CB.

MOhillbilly
01-24-2005, 12:04 PM
any players that KC can get in FA will just come here and suck.
Starts at the top.

Hoover
01-24-2005, 12:07 PM
While I would love to see Smoot in KC, I think the Skins tag him and keep him in DC.

That said I think he will be a #1 CB in the NFL in the next 2 years or so, he is just below that now.

Eleazar
01-24-2005, 12:10 PM
I don't see him as a true number 1 but a decent number 2 corner. Another Warfield.

Hoover
01-24-2005, 12:11 PM
He's better than Warfield.

He's got attitude, thats why I like him.

So Laz, what are your thoughts?

Chiefnj
01-24-2005, 12:13 PM
He's a true #1 on KC.

Mr. Laz
01-24-2005, 12:15 PM
While I would love to see Smoot in KC, I think the Skins tag him and keep him in DC.

That said I think he will be a #1 CB in the NFL in the next 2 years or so, he is just below that now.
He's better than Warfield.

He's got attitude, thats why I like him.

So Laz, what are your thoughts?
you pretty much hit my takes too...

he's better than warfield ... not quite a #1, but might become one

i like his scrappy attitude

shaneo69
01-24-2005, 12:18 PM
174 lbs.

Mr. Laz
01-24-2005, 12:20 PM
174 lbs.

his size is a issue...

imo it's harder for a smaller cornerback to be a #1 level guy.

not impossible, just harder

Ultra Peanut
01-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Smootsmack is a #1½ at this point, IMHO. Definitely an upgrade over Warfield, who I've considered to be a pretty decent #2.

Hoover
01-24-2005, 01:19 PM
you pretty much hit my takes too...

he's better than warfield ... not quite a #1, but might become one

i like his scrappy attitude
First Trotter, now Smoot!

the Talking Can
01-24-2005, 01:36 PM
he'd be the best CB we've had since Hasty retired...if he isn't a #1 CB then there must only be like 7 #1's in the entire league...

BigChiefFan
01-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Smoot's a pretty good corner, but I believe there are other potential FA corners who fit the bump n run better for Gunther. I really believe we can find a lesss expensive alternative in Gary Baxter or Ken Lucas. I'll be glad when we find out who makes the FA market.

Chiefnj
01-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Smoot's a pretty good corner, but I believe there are other potential FA corners who fit the bump n run better for Gunther. I really believe we can find a lesss expensive alternative in Gary Baxter or Ken Lucas. I'll be glad when we find out who makes the FA market.

I agree. I'm going to throw out a sleeper CB (please excuse the spelling) - Reynaldo Hill of the Cards. He's in position to step up and be a good starter at a relatively fair price. A little known fact is that the Cards had a pretty good pass defense recently.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-24-2005, 03:28 PM
They're not saying Smoot......... they're saying booooooo.

BigChiefFan
01-24-2005, 04:13 PM
I agree. I'm going to throw out a sleeper CB (please excuse the spelling) - Reynaldo Hill of the Cards. He's in position to step up and be a good starter at a relatively fair price. A little known fact is that the Cards had a pretty good pass defense recently.
I like Hill, too. He's a pretty solid player, but I believe he is their NICKLE corner. I prefer a starter in Baxter.

Chiefnj
01-24-2005, 04:15 PM
I like Hill, too. He's a pretty solid player, but I believe he is their NICKLE corner. I prefer a starter in Baxter.

He is the nickle, but I think he started some when Starks went down for a few weeks with injuries.

htismaqe
01-24-2005, 04:27 PM
I don't know, I'm a little concerned with the number of people on here who seem to think Baxter ain't all that good...

BigChiefFan
01-24-2005, 04:39 PM
I don't know, I'm a little concerned with the number of people on here who seem to think Baxter ain't all that good...Maybe you should listen to Ed Reed's opinion on Baxter?

Quote:
“G.B. is the guy that knows it all. He can play all our positions. He’s the one guy that can play corner, safety, dime, nickel, whatever. That’s the beauty of having Gary on the field. He knows, and we know, he can do it all. He’s the next guy from our defense going to Hawaii.”

-Ed Reed, Ravens' Safety, on Gary Baxter

I form my own opinions. Baxter is a solid cornerback with lots of upside. Is he Ty Law? No, but he isn't going to break the bank like it either. I don't believe we are one player away. We aren't. Taking a player who is still young and has shown he belongs in the NFL is how we will get better. Spending an enormous signing bonus on one player, who can help us for 2 or 3 years isn't thinking long term. If I believed we were that close, I'd be all for the move, but we have ALOT of holes to fill, than just a starting corner.

htismaqe
01-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Maybe you should listen to Ed Reed's opinion on Baxter?

Quote:
“G.B. is the guy that knows it all. He can play all our positions. He’s the one guy that can play corner, safety, dime, nickel, whatever. That’s the beauty of having Gary on the field. He knows, and we know, he can do it all. He’s the next guy from our defense going to Hawaii.”

-Ed Reed, Ravens' Safety, on Gary Baxter

I form my own opinions. Baxter is a solid cornerback with lots of upside. Is he Ty Law? No, but he isn't going to break the bank like it either. I don't believe we are one player away. We aren't. Taking a player who is still young and has shown he belongs in the NFL is how we will get better. Spending an enormous signing bonus on one player, who can help us for 2 or 3 years isn't thinking long term. If I believed we were that close, I'd be all for the move, but we have ALOT of holes to fill, than just a starting corner.

I from my opinions based on 1) first-hand observation and 2) the observations of trusted sources.

Several people here (whom I tend to respect) don't think he's all that good.

As for Ed Reed's comments, he's a teammate. That's like trusting Priest Holmes' opinion of Johnnie Morton.

BigChiefFan
01-24-2005, 04:48 PM
I from my opinions based on 1) first-hand observation and 2) the observations of trusted sources.

Several people here (whom I tend to respect) don't think he's all that good.

As for Ed Reed's comments, he's a teammate. That's like trusting Priest Holmes' opinion of Johnnie Morton.
So basically you are saying you don't know shit about him? ROFL I've seen him play several times. Like I said he's no Ty Law, but he's a solid corner. He's very physical and I think would be a good candidate for Bump n Run. He's Gunther's type of corner and he won't break the bank.

htismaqe
01-24-2005, 04:51 PM
So basically you are saying you don't know shit about him? ROFL I've seen him play several times. Like I said he's no Ty Law, but he's a solid corner. He's very physical and I think would be a good candidate for Bump n Run. He's Gunther's type of corner and he won't break the bank.

So you're basically saying that you've seen him play and I should trust your opinion?

As opposed to trusting the opinions of others here who have also seen him play?

ROFL

Seriously, I NEVER said ANYTHING about whether he's good or bad. I said I'm CONCERNED. Are you his brother or something?

Digital Takawira
01-24-2005, 05:02 PM
SIGN

SMOOT

NOW.

Warrior5
01-24-2005, 07:19 PM
in order:

1. Lucas
2. Smoot (RFA)
3. Dyson
4. Baxter
5. Henry
6. Hill

Mr. Laz
01-24-2005, 08:55 PM
in order:

1. Lucas
2. Smoot (RFA)
3. Dyson
4. Baxter
5. Henry
6. Hill

if Smoot is a RFA we can just cross him off the list

that would involve negotiating a contract for Smoot AND compensation for Washington because of the Restricted part.

ain't gonna happen with big bad Carl on our team

LiL stumppy
01-24-2005, 09:06 PM
I don't see him as a true number 1 but a decent number 2 corner. Another Warfield.

He doesn't get smacked around like Warfield.