PDA

View Full Version : Will picking up ANY cornerbacks make a real difference?

Mr. Laz
01-24-2005, 05:43 PM
i mean i've heard smoot is a #2 but could improve to be a #1 in the next year or 2

now i hear baxter is a guy that's improving and could be a #1

lucas??

draft Rolle,Rodger,Jones ..... all would need guidance

the real question to me is "How does the fact that we are keeping our putrid secondary coaching staff in place effect acquiring ANY cornerbacks?"

can our coaches provide good enough guidance to have ANY of these guys so they actually IMPROVE while they are here?

Have any of our secondary players actually improved with the existing coaching staff?

might mean putting another vote in the "get Ty law" camp ... i mean a proven veteran, like Law, may withstand the crappy coaches we got.

royr17
01-24-2005, 05:53 PM
We need to get better play from our Linebackers, I mean our Defensive Line did good this year its the Linebackers that killed us though.

UteChief
01-24-2005, 07:33 PM
The Eagles drafted 3/4 of their current secondary in 2002. Lito Shepard Michael Lewis and Sheldon Brown. and 2 of the 3 Shepard and Lewis are pro bowlers this year. So I think cornerbacks are going to make a big difference. It would be great to have someone like Law to mentor them.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Better players will play better no matter who the coaches are. Not to take Vermeil's side here at all, but the coaches...no coaches can turn Bartee into a shutdown corner. The players are not good enough...hence....you get better players.

LiL stumppy
01-24-2005, 08:28 PM
We need a stud CB,OLB,and a good Safty.

BigChiefFan
01-24-2005, 08:33 PM
The coaches should share in the responsibilty, but like the saying goes... you can't turn chicken shit into chicken salad.

the Talking Can
01-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Smoot is 1000% upgrade over any CB on our roster...it ain't rocket science people, and he ain't a #2

LiL stumppy
01-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Any "known" CB is a upgrade.

Hoover
01-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Well we need a FA CB no mater what, so Bartee and McCleon get bumped down or cut.

The "must haves" this offseason are a Free Agent Corner and a Free Agent MLB. by signign those two positions we could then take the best defensive player that falls to us in each round, CB, OLB, DE.

Miles
01-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Is Samari Rolle going to be available? I read some reports that Tenn was going to have to let him go a while back but havent heard anything in a while.

If so he would probably be the second best cover corner available behind Law. The only downside is he has had some problems with injuries over the last two years or so.

old_geezer
01-24-2005, 09:22 PM
Well we need a FA CB no mater what, so Bartee and McCleon get bumped down or cut.

The "must haves" this offseason are a Free Agent Corner and a Free Agent MLB. by signign those two positions we could then take the best defensive player that falls to us in each round, CB, OLB, DE.

My feelings exactly. We absolutely have to aquire a vet CB that can overcome our miserable coaching staff and next a LB (preferably a MLB) that can actually play the position. Then select the best athlete available in the draft.

Mr. Laz
01-24-2005, 09:34 PM
My feelings exactly. We absolutely have to aquire a vet CB that can overcome our miserable coaching staff and next a LB (preferably a MLB) that can actually play the position. Then select the best athlete available in the draft.

hiya Geez!

old_geezer
01-24-2005, 09:42 PM
hiya Geez!

Good evening. I've been more of a lurker than a poster for quite a while now. Seems like when the Chief's season went south everybody got their panties in a bunch and it didn't matter what position you took - half of the BB would agree with you and the other half would rip you a new one. I got tired of the constant catfights. Guess I'm getting better now.

Mr. Laz
01-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Good evening. I've been more of a lurker than a poster for quite a while now. Seems like when the Chief's season went south everybody got their panties in a bunch and it didn't matter what position you took - half of the BB would agree with you and the other half would rip you a new one. I got tired of the constant catfights. Guess I'm getting better now.
ya ... understood

it's a frustrating time for all us chiefs disciples :)

htismaqe
01-25-2005, 08:27 AM
I don't think, even with our coaching, it's a lost cause.

After all, Warfield looked better this year than he has in any other season under Vermeil...Gunther alone can make a difference just by playing press coverage.

cmh6476
01-25-2005, 08:35 AM
I hate to say it, but I think there's always going to be a liability.

Say we improve at corner, one linebacker spot, and add another safety. And they all play well. Then, if the defense falters, we will be able to blame it on Hicks, the linebacker position we didnt improve, and nickel corner.

Say we add a corner, nickel corner, and OLB. You can still blame the MLB and safeties.

This defense just doesn't have an attitude, and I can't see them changing overnight. I think this team needs a solid veteran defender who has experience winning on a regular basis. Not only to help with performance, but to give this team the attitude it needs to win. Maybe it's linebacker, maybe it's corner, hell, maybe it'd D-Line. We can still imporve in a coupel other positions no matter where we decide to improve, but something drastic has to happen for this defense to be better.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-25-2005, 08:35 AM
Is Samari Rolle going to be available? I read some reports that Tenn was going to have to let him go a while back but havent heard anything in a while.

If so he would probably be the second best cover corner available behind Law. The only downside is he has had some problems with injuries over the last two years or so.
It'd be cool if we got him and then drafted Antrell Rolle.

ROYC75
01-25-2005, 10:05 AM
ANY ? No, if you find CB's worst than we have now.

If we go out and get better than we have now, YES !

Hoover nailed it well !

MGRS13
01-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Well I know NOT picking up any cornerbacks WONT make a difference!

milkman
01-26-2005, 01:57 AM

And this is different from the rest of the time on the planet, how?

SBK
01-26-2005, 02:07 AM
I think there's an echo in here.

Red Dawg
01-26-2005, 07:27 AM
Hell yes it will make a difference. 2 FA LB's will make a huge difference.

KCTitus
01-26-2005, 08:28 AM
So if I follow the logic here...FA CB's wont fix the problem because the coaching staff will 'rub off' on them unless they're at least 31 years of age. Did I follow that correctly?