PDA

View Full Version : Any good players here from the Titans salary cap cuts?

chris
01-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Tennessee’s salary-cap situation could force the team to release as many as seven starters

The Titans appear to be on the verge of a major personnel overhaul this offseason, ready and willing to dump several key veterans — as many, perhaps, as seven starters from last season — because of their high salaries and the team’s tough salary-cap situation.

According to various reports, the team will be about $23 million over the cap next season, and the Titans’ salary purge could mirror what the Ravens did in 2002, one season after winning the Super Bowl. The Titans, of course, have fallen short in recent years, losing the Super Bowl following the 1999 season, falling to the eventual-champion Patriots in the playoffs last season and plummeting to a 5-11 record in 2004 amid major losses because of injury.

The team now is paying for its overspending the past few years, and several veterans could be in serious danger. Among them: WR Derrick Mason, CB Samari Rolle, DT Kevin Carter, FS Lance Schulters and both starting offensive tackles, Brad Hopkins and Brad Miller. Even PK Joe Nedney could be cut.

The most unwieldy contract numbers belong to Carter ($13.97 million), Rolle ($9.81 million), Miller ($9.32 million) and Hopkins ($8.11 million). Sources close to the team say Hopkins could stay put under a reworked deal. The team would love to bring back Mason, a favorite of the organization, but not likely at his $6.65 million figure. Veterans such as Mason and ORG Benji Olson ($4.86 million cap number) could be approached to take a pay cut, but Mason and Rolle have balked at such moves in the past.

Miles
01-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Rolle, Mason and possible Carter are all very solid players.

Rausch
01-25-2005, 12:34 AM
Rolle, Mason and possible Carter are all very solid players.

Unless Peterson signs one of them, then they're overpaid busts that worship satan and trip grandma's...

Hammock Parties
01-25-2005, 12:39 AM
I hope we don't sign Kevin Carter. He's washed up. But you know Vermeil will want to looking into signing him.

Miles
01-25-2005, 12:48 AM
I hope we don't sign Kevin Carter. He's washed up. But you know Vermeil will want to looking into signing him.

I dont know about Carter. Im not sure if he is washed up but his is definitly not the same speed rusher that he was back in the STL superbowl year. Seems like he could be worth it for a modest contract since he hasnt really had any injury concers.

tk13
01-25-2005, 12:51 AM
I don't know, I always thought that was the funniest clip of the NFL Films special on that Rams Super Bowl... there was (something like) 30 seconds left and of course the Titans were driving, and Carter took himself out of the game because he was tired and Vermeil was along the sideline screaming (general paraphrase) "What? You're taking yourself out!! Are you nuts? There's 30 seconds left in the Super Bowl!!!" and he put his hands over his head. I always thought that was funny....

Miles
Unless Peterson signs one of them, then they're overpaid busts that worship satan and trip grandma's...

Still all three of them have at least performed much better in their careers than our recent FA busts did before signing with us.

alanm
Rolle, Mason and possible Carter are all very solid players.All three of them are better than any of the guys we have playing their positions at the moment. Lots of teams should be after all of these guys. Mason would probably be the easiest to get of the 3 if we felt so inclined to do so.

HolmeZz
01-25-2005, 12:52 AM
Gimme Rolle, Mason, Schulters, and Carter plz.

Spicy McHaggis
01-25-2005, 01:34 AM

I liked Schulters a lot the first year he came to the Titans but I can't remember him really doing much since. Rolle and Mason would be instant upgrades who would be good signings but Carter's lost a step for sure. Maybe if he's cheap.

mikey23545
01-25-2005, 06:48 AM
Except for the offensive tackles, everyone else would almost have to be considered upgrades to what the Chiefs have on their roster.....

Skip Towne
01-25-2005, 07:21 AM
Peterson could sign one or more of these guys.....or he could go on vacation. What's your guess?

the Talking Can
01-25-2005, 07:36 AM
Mason and Rolle

KCWolfman
01-25-2005, 07:40 AM
Wow, that gave me a flashback to the Monty Python skit, Heck's Grannies.

Kris Kringle
01-25-2005, 07:49 AM
I would say just Rolle. We need to concentrate on defense. If we fill all of our defensive needs then I guess they could look at Mason. But I wouldn't worry about a WR until then. I wouldn't sign Carter. He's done. It would be a great thing to sign Rolle and then draft Rolle. That would be a good CB tandem. Warfield would be a great #3 corner.

tomahawk kid
01-25-2005, 08:44 AM

Yep.

You know if Carter is asking for something reasonable, Vermiel will be all over him like white on rice.

WilliamTheIrish
01-25-2005, 09:18 AM
I don't know, I always thought that was the funniest clip of the NFL Films special on that Rams Super Bowl... there was (something like) 30 seconds left and of course the Titans were driving, and Carter took himself out of the game because he was tired and Vermeil was along the sideline screaming (general paraphrase) "What? You're taking yourself out!! Are you nuts? There's 30 seconds left in the Super Bowl!!!" and he put his hands over his head. I always thought that was funny....

I'll never forget that clip.

It's akin to Bip Roberts taking himself out of the World Series "Cause I don't feel good."

Carter's a friggin' loser.

Therefore, we'll sign him.

MGRS13
01-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Rolle would be great. And if we also drafted A. Rolle it would be even better. Are those guys brothers?

HC_Chief
01-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Rolle, Mason, and draft Antrel Rolle... we could have Rolle & Rolle @ corner ;) (sounds like a law firm)

Amnorix
01-25-2005, 10:22 AM
IMHO the 2003 Titans were the best team the Patriots played. Tough, gritty, determined and good on both sides of the ball.

Any/all of their starting defensive players could help you guys, if they're not over the hill.

DaKCMan AP
01-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Rolle and Mason. As much as I like Carter (Gator) he isn't what he used to be.