PDA

View Full Version : For the KU Fans : KU's Russell Robinson declines to play

royr17
01-26-2005, 03:32 PM
http://www.kusports.com/news/mens_basketball/story/113007

KU's Robinson declines to play
By Gary Bedore, Assistant Sports Editor

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Waco, Texas — Freshman Russell Robinson was the only Kansas University basketball player in the 15-man traveling party not to log any minutes in Tuesday's 86-66 rout of Baylor at Ferrell Center.

It turns out it wasn't a coach's decision for Robinson not to enter a game for the first time in his college career, but player's decision.

"No, no, he's not in the doghouse. He chose not to go in the game there the last two minutes," KU coach Bill Self said of the freshman point guard, whose minutes have been cut with the emergence of junior Jeff Hawkins. "It's the reason I didn't play him."

Usually players enter when beckoned by coaches, so Self was asked if he had a problem with Robinson's decision to sit the last two minutes.

"No, it's not a problem," Self said. "I said, ‘Russell, do you want to go in?' He said, ‘Nah, coach.' I don't hold that against him. I said, ‘You want to go in the last few minutes?' He said, ‘Nah, coach, play the other guys.'''

Self stressed that the freshman from New York did not have an injury. He simply hasn't been one of the top five players on the perimeter the past three weeks.

Freshman C.J. Giles, who likely will miss at least another week because of a badly bruised right foot, didn't make the trip. Just 15 players can suit up, and Self said there was no reason to bring Giles since he couldn't play. KU has 18 players on the roster.

Brock
01-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Sounds like he has a very bright future in the NBA.

royr17
01-26-2005, 03:36 PM
http://www.kusports.com/news/mens_basketball/story/113003

Deadly from downtown
Hawkins leads KU beyond arc

By Gary Bedore, Assistant Sports Editor

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Waco, Texas — Jeff Hawkins showed up for Kansas University basketball practice Monday without his trademark braids.

"I just wanted to cut off my hair, get a fresh start, get a new start," said the junior guard, who explained that "a guy named Marty" did the clipping at a Lawrence barber shop.

"I had to do it before practice so I could show up and surprise my teammates."

The seldom-used player didn't necessarily surprise the guys who practice with and against him every day, but he certainly shocked 3,000 or so KU supporters in a crowd of 7,280 by scoring 15 points off 5-of-5 three-point shooting in the Jayhawks' 86-66 rout of Baylor on Tuesday at Ferrell Center.

Did the new 'do contribute to his explosion on a night the Jayhawks hit a school-record 16 threes in 27 tries?

"I don't know," Hawkins said with a grin. "I do know I need to start using my head more. I wasn't always using my head when I had braids. I'm always trying to do the right thing now, even if there are negatives around me, to always stay positive."

Hawkins hasn't had many positives in his KU basketball career. The 5-foot-11, 180-pounder, who was suspended for behavior issues the first day of the school year and not reinstated until the start of preseason conditioning drills in late September, has scored in double figures twice in his career.

He had a career-high 19 points off 5-of-7 three-point shooting in last year's win at TCU up the road in Fort Worth, Texas.

"It has to be the weather," Hawkins said of the warm Texas climate, which Tuesday produced temperatures in the 70s. "No, I was just focused and ready. It's what got into my shooting."

KU coach Bill Self has been so impressed with Hawkins, Self said Hawkins definitely had earned a spot in the rotation in the immediate future.

"It's been well documented with ‘Hawk,' he's a great kid, but kind of got in the doghouse there a couple of months," Self said. "He's kept a great attitude. He's matured. It goes to show you, if you keep a good attitude all the time, when your number is called, you've got a much better chance to be ready. He was certainly ready tonight."

Hawkins and J.R. Giddens each hit three threes the first half as the Jayhawks (15-1 overall, 5-0 Big 12 Conference) built a 41-26 halftime lead and erased memories of Saturday's 21-point loss at Villanova.

Hawkins hit two more threes in a 25-12 outburst that upped a 51-43 second-half lead to 76-55.

"He deserves to play. He's played well," Self said of Hawkins. "We talk all the time ... we'll not play six perimeter players. He's certainly played like one of the five best in the last three weeks."

Hawkins, who some thought might pack up and quit the squad during his suspension, said the reality was he was going to keep working until Self called his number.

"From Day One, I came in and wanted to work hard and prepare myself," Hawkins said. "Even though I was not playing, I didn't give up. I knew coach would eventually put me in the game, and I'd be ready when he did.

"I was patient. I'm a big believer good things come to those who are patient. I knew in the back of coach's mind that even though he was mad at me, he still believed in me. If he didn't believe in me, he'd have kicked me off the team for good."

Hawkins' teammates were not shocked by his contribution Tuesday, when all the Jayhawks shredded the zone of Baylor (9-7, 1-4). The 16 threes snapped the old record of 15 set in a 96-91 victory over North Carolina State on Dec. 10, 1994, in Raleigh, N.C.

"He's real good, man. In pickup games, at practice, he does his thing," Aaron Miles said of Hawkins. "Coach is giving him an opportunity, and he's making most of it. It's funny. His whole attitude has changed since the suspension. I think it's opened his eyes."

Hawkins insists his eyes are opened for good.

"Last year after the TCU game (on Dec. 1), I was happy with what I accomplished, then I hit that slump," Hawkins said, referring to his minimal playing time the rest of the season. "I won't allow myself to be satisfied this time."

And as far as the hair? His teammates say he's looking good and feeling good.

"I think it's cute," senior Keith Langford said with a smile.

KU will meet Texas at 8 p.m. Saturday at Allen Fieldhouse.

BigVE
01-26-2005, 03:37 PM
I noticed that he didnt get into the game. Sounds like the only "issue" here is that our HIGHLY touted PG from "back east" has lost playing to time a guy who has hardly played at all the past 3 years. He had better step up because if Hawkins can shoot DECENT he will be in the game alot more. I think Robinson will be fine, but with Miles being our PG and RR playing like a freshman, Self has to put his best players on the court and right now RR isnt one of those players.

Lzen
01-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Robinson is a good player. I love his hounding defense. He seemed to get a lot of steals earlier in the season. But he does turn over the ball too much.

Eleazar
01-26-2005, 03:53 PM
But.. what does the Star BB say about it?

royr17
01-26-2005, 03:55 PM

Nothin, dude.

Lzen
01-26-2005, 04:12 PM

He'll let you know in 3 weeks.
:p

royr17
01-26-2005, 04:21 PM

You guys are just un-freakin-believable.

Eleazar
01-26-2005, 08:46 PM

Ok, I'll wait 3 weeks to hear it in 3 weeks ROFL

Mr. Laz
01-26-2005, 09:04 PM
ouch...

that's gonna leave a skidmark on the bbs life that is roy

|Zach|
01-26-2005, 09:13 PM
ouch...

that's gonna leave a skidmark on the bbs life that is roy
ROFL

Braincase
01-26-2005, 11:23 PM
The only chance KU has of going deep in the tournament is by playing Rich Scanlon.