PDA

View Full Version : When can we stop specifying "digital" camera?

Phobia
01-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Does anybody actually own/use traditional cameras any longer?

Pants
01-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Does anybody actually own traditional cameras any longer?

Yeap. My dad still has his $400 Olympus.

Dartgod
01-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Own? Yes, I have two. Never use them anymore, though.

Phobia
01-26-2005, 09:38 PM
There is no poll. Feel free to respond immediately. Unless.... you think it's a really stupid question. In that case, hurl insults and leave.

Thanks.

Herzig
01-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Does anybody actually own traditional cameras any longer?

We(my brother and sis) chipped in and bought my parents a new digital camera for Christmas...to finally put the old camera out of service.

Jenny Gump
01-26-2005, 09:39 PM
I have an old 35mm Canon with lots of cool lenses. It was my brother's and my mom gave it to me when he died in 1990. It still takes great pictures and obviously, it has sentimental value.

Pants
01-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Actually it's a good question. Although, I don't think the classification will go away any time soon.

FloridaChief
01-26-2005, 09:42 PM
There is no poll. Feel free to respond immediately. Unless.... you think it's a really stupid question. In that case, hurl insults and leave.

You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny.

Thanks.

Welcome...

stevieray
01-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Sports photographers use digital cameras.

:rolleyes:

BigVE
01-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Heck, my parents still break out the old Kodak insta-matic once in a while...my kids get a kick out of it. They acted the same way when they saw my dads old records/record player.

tommykat
01-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Sports photographers use digital cameras.

:rolleyes:

Touche'ROFL

tk13
01-26-2005, 09:49 PM
I still have a couple film cameras, poopface.

el borracho
01-26-2005, 09:50 PM
I own (and use) a 35 mm camera and have no intention of replacing it.

Anyone who does medium or large format work still uses film and anyone who wants to do fancy stuff like infrared or slides still uses a traditional camera.

Barret
01-26-2005, 10:01 PM
I still use a 35mm SLR. It is a newer Canon model. I think for a comparable clarity the 35mm still does a very good job with out spending that much money. I know with the Digital cameras to get the same picture quality of a 35mm and be able to blow up the picture to a larger size without it looking grainy you have to put down some bucks.

I think a digital SLR type camera is in the $1000 range where with that type of money I can get the 35mm along with a lense or 2 and have some ability to be creative with the shots I take.

Just my .10 cents

Phobia
01-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Then it is official.

By my decree, henceforth a digital camera will simply be known as "camera" and traditional cameras will be called "film" cameras.

the Talking Can
01-26-2005, 10:07 PM
I love digital cameras....because I can buy quality film SLRs for freakin cheap....unless you're spending a grand on a digital camera or are a teenage girl who is satisfied with a .0001 megapixel digital plasti-cam then film is still the best bet...

|Zach|
01-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Then it is official.

By my decree, henceforth a digital camera will simply be known as "camera" and traditional cameras will be called "film" cameras.
You want me to put together a press release?

beavis
01-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Then it is official.

Since you are weilding this power today, can you do something about people that refer to a hard disk as "memory"?

Phobia
01-27-2005, 12:05 AM
Since you are weilding this power today, can you do something about people that refer to a hard disk as "memory"?

Sure. I ignore them. Works wonders.

Nzoner
01-27-2005, 12:18 AM
I buy disposable ones sometimes. Like, when I go back to Rolla for Pat's. I'd hate to break something expensive in my drunken state.

I just dropped 6 of them off to be developed tonight.

Miles
01-27-2005, 12:34 AM
I buy disposable ones sometimes. Like, when I go back to Rolla for Pat's. I'd hate to break something expensive in my drunken state.

Thats usually what i use in the rare times that i actually use a camera. I generally just bum digital pics off my friends.

I will eventually buy a digital camera when they get cheap enough that i wouldnt be extremly pissed if i got wasted a broke it. Like $50 or so for one that takes decent pics and is small enough to carry around in my pocket is my target.

Taco John
01-27-2005, 01:10 AM
While we're at it, could we PLEASE stop calling them CONdums. We already know that you have to do some conning to use them. From now on, please refer to them as dums.

Hammock Parties
01-27-2005, 01:19 AM
While we're at it, could we PLEASE stop calling them CONdums. We already know that you have to do some conning to use them. From now on, please refer to them as dums.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=condom

Phobia
01-27-2005, 01:20 AM
That's quite a conundrum for you, TJ.

Taco John
01-27-2005, 02:36 AM
That would be conundrom. ;)

Fairplay
01-27-2005, 02:42 AM
Phobia there are still a lot of people who don't have digital cameras.

It would interesting to know the percent of camera owners how many own a digital camera. But i would guess-ta-mate at least 30 percent do not.

Taco John
01-27-2005, 03:22 AM
I bet it's a lot more than that...

Taco John
01-27-2005, 03:23 AM
What about book shelf Phobe? Don't you hate that?

Book shelf.

Pshaw!

Hammock Parties
01-27-2005, 03:25 AM

Book shelf.

Pshaw!

But you can use shelves for many things...or was that your point?

Spott
01-27-2005, 09:35 AM
I don't own or want a digital camera. I still use a 35mm camera. I also have 3 vcr's and no DVD player or any DVD's. I do have a PS2 that will play DVD's, but I don't use it for that.

Scaga
01-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Bought my wife her first DIGITAL campera this week. (Canon A85)

Anybody care?

(BTW...if you own Kodak stock...you might want to sell it as I'm sure it will have deflated value since we're not supporting them anymore)

Phobia
01-27-2005, 10:25 AM
That would be conundrom. ;)

But that spelling doesn't play as well with my stupid joke, does it?

Phobia
01-27-2005, 10:28 AM

Book shelf.

Pshaw!

No, I don't. That's still relatively efficient. "Camera" already has 3 syllables. "Digital" also has 3....

Bob Dole
01-27-2005, 10:30 AM
FWIW, Bob Dole owns 2 Pentax mechanical SLR cameras.

RNR
01-27-2005, 10:31 AM
I don't own or want a digital camera. I still use a 35mm camera. I also have 3 vcr's and no DVD player or any DVD's. I do have a PS2 that will play DVD's, but I don't use it for that.
How many 8-tracks do you own? :)

Phobia
01-27-2005, 10:34 AM
FWIW, Bob Dole owns 2 Pentax mechanical SLR cameras.

I don't believe Bob Dole actually USES cameras. I think Bob Dole is merely a collector.

cdcox
01-27-2005, 10:41 AM
I think your desire for precision is to be applauded. We presently own several analog cameras but use them sporadically. We don't have any digital cameras. With computer's it is just the opposite. My family has access to 2 digital computers, but no analog ones. The television is quite perplexing. It is capable of processing both digital and analog signals, but only displays in analog format. We have two digital sources feeding it (sattelite and DVD player) and two analog sources (VCR and rabbit ears). So my TV is a mixed-mode reception, digital display television. What about yours?

dtebbe
01-27-2005, 10:53 AM
I still have a nice Minolta Maxxim 5, but ever since I bought my Fuji S7000 I never use it any more. With a 512mb card my Fuji will take about 300 pix at 6mp, and they look great. I use yorkphoto.com to upload and have prints made, .12 each for 4x6, and I can drop ship directly to family.

DT

Bob Dole
01-27-2005, 10:59 AM
I don't believe Bob Dole actually USES cameras. I think Bob Dole is merely a collector.

Bob Dole finally took a photo with the new digital camera yesterday evening and it came out crappy.

Of course, Bob Dole blames the camera, but it may have had more to do with Bob Dole's sobriety. It's been quite awhile since Bob Dole took any photos while sober.

BigMeatballDave
01-27-2005, 11:01 AM

Thanks.Asshat! I'm afraid of digital stuff. I still use this...
http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/29/b7/f9_1_b.JPG

Hoover
01-27-2005, 11:26 AM
My wife was all anti Digital cameras. Then we got a cat, and she was taking all these pictures of him, and I said I'm not going to develope all that crap, so I gfot her a digital camera with a one gig Memory card. Saves money, and you don't have to wait to have someone develope it.

Straight, No Chaser
01-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Does anybody actually own/use traditional cameras any longer?

Indeed. Stop at a good camera store that sells used equipment and check Nikon lenses, Leica, Hasselblad, etc. Carl Ziess lenses...
In college I drove a VW and owned a decent Pentax 35 mm. I often wished I had it reversed: drive a Japenese car and own a German camera.

--->

Spott
01-27-2005, 11:34 AM
How many 8-tracks do you own? :)

Lol, I ain't that old. My Mom did have an 8 track player on her pontoon boat, though.

chiefs4me
01-27-2005, 11:36 AM
I still use my 35 mm camera and I love it. the hubby wanted to get a digital camera for xmas and I said no. Use the 500 dollars for something else. When the boys want to use the camera for something they are doing,,I just buy them one of those diaposable cameras and haven't had a problem.

PastorMikH
01-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Say, anyone know where I can buy some 110 film?

Straight, No Chaser
01-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Here's how I introduce the difference to students:

Digital photography allows you to be more involved in the creation of the print than film photography. That’s a plus or a minus depending on your point of view. What may seem like a blessing for some people—for ex-ample, having the ability to fine-tune images to perfection—can seem like a burden to those less patient. Final results can be made into cards or even T-shirts, or sent via e-mail, all using the software that came with the camera. You can make prints with an inkjet printer, drop off the memory card at a photo-finisher, or upload the file to a photo-sharing web site for storage, viewing, or reprinting. Freedom to experiment can tip the debate be-tween film vs. digital because if you want the perfect picture, you’re likelier to get it with a digital camera because you’ll probably shoot more photos. Digital photography is consid-erably more cost efficient. Digital cameras also give you more control over your images. Once you have the image you want, you can promptly download it to your computer, open it an image-editing program like Photoshop, and tweak it to perfection. Then, armed with a photo-quality printer, you can output an image that looks even sharper than a photo-graphic print. This level of control comes at a cost: your time and energy. For all the touted speed and convenience of digital cameras, film still takes less effort in the long run. You simply shoot the pictures, drop the film off at a drugstore, and pick up the prints in a few days—or even an hour—later.

--->

PastorMikH
01-27-2005, 11:39 AM
I still use my 35 mm camera and I love it. the hubby wanted to get a digital camera for xmas and I said no. Use the 500 dollars for something else. When the boys want to use the camera for something they are doing,,I just buy them one of those diaposable cameras and haven't had a problem.

You said no and he listened? I'll bet he does the dishes and laundry too doesn't he?

:shake:

teedubya
01-27-2005, 11:57 AM
i have 40+ rolls of film undeveloped from 1997-2002 heh. we got 20 of them developed recently, wow. What a mindfook.

|Zach|
01-27-2005, 02:02 PM
i have 40+ rolls of film undeveloped from 1997-2002 heh. we got 20 of them developed recently, wow. What a mindfook.
That would be really cool...to have all of that recent stuff pop up at the same time.