PDA

View Full Version : USB 2.0 port problems

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-27-2005, 12:55 AM
I reformatted windows xp. Everything went fine except that I noticed my usb 2.0 ports were extremely slow. After a little investigating, I found that i had to install the drivers for them. Well I had already installed Service pack 2 and found out that I couldnt install with this service pack installed. So I did a quick reformat again just to be at a totally clean point again.

My version of xp came out prior to Service pack one being released.
Whwn I tried to install the driver off my drivers cd, it stated that I needed to install the port update first. Did that. Then said I need top install port driver. Well absolutely nothing happened.

I look for drivers on the internet and everything I fiind says the drivers were available in the service pack 1 update. Well you cant download this and service pack 2 doesnt include the drivers?

Also I keep reading thast as long as it says "enhanced" in device manage then you are operating at 2.0. This is not true.
Anyway I am hoping someone has the driver or can at least interpret this screenshot for me. I should have 4 2.0 ports and 2 1.1 or 1.0 ports.

PS. I went to that stupid driver site that makes you sign up for crap and go through a big long ordeal before giving them your email address where they promise to send you the file. Well they never sent it. Is that site a scam or what?

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-27-2005, 12:57 AM
screenshot

Saulbadguy
01-27-2005, 07:57 AM
Download and install service pack 1 and 2, update everything, etc etc..

THEN, uninstall your USB drivers, and then refresh in device manager. It will pick them up, and install them again, with the correct drivers. Its a little glitch in Windows XP. :)

OldTownChief
01-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Download and install service pack 1 and 2, update everything, etc etc..

THEN, uninstall your USB drivers, and then refresh in device manager. It will pick them up, and install them again, with the correct drivers. Its a little glitch in Windows XP. :)

Yes, I had to do that same thing on two computers I've reinstalled XP with SP2. These wouldn't reconize USB at all untill I did what Saul suggest.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Exactly which drivers are you asking me to uninstall. I am not sure which ones are the ones you want me to uninstall.

Lets say my list is 1 thriough 12. Which number do I uninstall?

Thanks.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-27-2005, 06:57 PM
I uninstalled enhanced controller B1. There is no refresh in device manager that I can find.

Windows just recognized again and reinstalled same driver. What am I missing here?

OldTownChief
01-30-2005, 12:50 AM
I uninstalled enhanced controller B1. There is no refresh in device manager that I can find.

Windows just recognized again and reinstalled same driver. What am I missing here?

Unplug ALL USB devices you have attached and Un-Install all of the USB controllers (1-12), and reboot. Wait for XP to find and reinstall the drivers and you should be good to go.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-30-2005, 11:01 PM
Ok I did theis. When it reboots, everything loads up the same exact settings.

Now I never was able to find the service pack one update, so I only was able to download service pack 2.
I believe it is possible that this is why I am unable to update to the new drivers. i think maybe service pack 2 alone doesnt solve the usb problem.

Of course it is to late to uninstall SP2 now so i am basically screwed until the next time I reformat again.
I believe I finally did find service pack 1. i have saved it so i will have it again.

Do you think this is possible?

OldTownChief
01-31-2005, 06:58 AM
What are the specs on your system.
mobo?
bios?
Is your USB 2.0 a PCI card you added? What brand? I added a 2.0 card to one of my computers and had to use the original install disk to get the drivers loaded after updating to SP2. I got the "Not digitally Signed" warning but it worked anyway.

Also have you tried Windows Update to see if it detects any driver updates?

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-31-2005, 11:17 PM
Pentuim IIII 2.0 ghz
765 meg ram
80 gig hard drive
2.0 ports were OEM

No driver updates available

Thanks for all the help.
I have decided that I will just forget about this problem for a while. The only 2.0 device I currently own is a 128 meg lexar thumb drive. It will still read as 1.1 anyway. Thanks for all the help. I will print this off and keep it as a reference for the next time I reformat.
I still think I must install SP1 first.

Thanks again guys.