PDA

View Full Version : I never knew of the Nixon assasination attempt

C-Mac
01-28-2005, 12:32 AM
I was watching the History channel about the Nixon assasination attempt. This was an amazing story and I'm very surprised there wasnt a movie made about it. An erie prelude\parallel to 9-11.

Rausch
01-28-2005, 12:39 AM
:spock:

C-Mac
01-28-2005, 12:57 AM
I thought maybe I was the only person that never knew about this attemt.

A manic depressant guy from Pennsylvania plotted to hijack a plane and fly it into the Whitehouse. He was going to shoot the pilots after the plane took off and then fly it himself into the target. He darn near pulled it off. If it werent for the stalling stewardess it would have happened.
He killed a guard at the airport them forced his way down the boarding ramp and intered the plane. He threatened the head stewardess then went to the cockpit and told them to take off now. He shot the co-pilot when he said he couldnt leave without clearance. Then the pilot tried to take his gun and ended up getting shot himself but was still alive. The stewardess then acted like the door was hanging up to stall for time and he demanded another stewardess to help close the door. At the last second as the door closed another securty personel had grabbed the gun from the dead security guard and shot him twice thru the door window. As he lay on the floor he shot himself in the head. He was still barely alive when security finally entered the plane. As they are working on him they notice a suitcase that had a bomb in it. One brave policeman grabbed it and ran out on the runway to a safe distance. The catch was that the Secret Service had questioned this guy 4 different times prior to this.
Awesome story!

SBK
01-28-2005, 04:31 AM
News to me too. Then again Im only 25.

Ultra Peanut
01-28-2005, 05:06 AM
I bet a video game made him do it.

teedubya
01-28-2005, 05:47 AM
i bet when Beavis gets old... he will look like your avatar, C-Mac.

a huh-huh...yeah yeah

HemiEd
01-28-2005, 06:50 AM
I bet a video game made him do it.
ROFL ROFL ROFL , that is funny!

Baby Lee
01-28-2005, 07:08 AM
This was an amazing story and I'm very surprised there wasnt a movie made about it.
That was tongue in cheek, right?

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050113/REVIEWS/501130304/1023

Penn's new movie opening is probably why the History Channel aired this.

C-Mac
01-28-2005, 09:04 AM
That was tongue in cheek, right?

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050113/REVIEWS/501130304/1023

Penn's new movie opening is probably why the History Channel aired this.

Just like the assasination attempt, I knew nothing about the movie either! I guess I called that one, I bet it will do good at the box office, its an incredible chain of events. I guess because of this attempt new rules were put in place at airports like moving the metal detectors away from the boarding area's. I see that Sean Penn plays the guy, but he really looked more like the actor the history channel used for reinactments, a short stalky guy.

beavis
01-28-2005, 09:37 AM
i bet when Beavis gets old... he will look like your avatar, C-Mac.

a huh-huh...yeah yeah
I don't look anything like that guy.

Hoover
01-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Everyone wanted Nixon dead.

C-Mac
01-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Everyone wanted Nixon dead.

Its always first come first serve!

Skip Towne
01-28-2005, 09:48 AM
I saw that on the History channel as well. I didn't know anything about it either and that was back when I paid attention to politics. They kept it quiet very well.

C-Mac
01-28-2005, 10:05 AM
I saw that on the History channel as well. I didn't know anything about it either and that was back when I paid attention to politics. They kept it quiet very well.

Thats what I was thinking too. Only thing else I could think of was that there was, perhaps the first, huge gas shortage going on at that time that could have stole the attention. They showed newspaper headlines of the attempt though.

go bo
01-28-2005, 12:39 PM
i remember the nixon years, but i sure don't recall anything about this assassination attempt...

what was it that condi rice said about 9/11? something about who would ever imagine that people would take planes and fly them into buildings?

apparently this guy did and the secret service obviously knew about his plan... and that was how many years ago?

the federal government is finally making an effort to share information between agencies, which might have helped in the assessment of terrorist risks and the development of security measures to deal with those risks...

better security measures might have even prevented the 9/11 attacks using planes...

of course, the terrorists would probably have found another way to attack us...

DanT
01-28-2005, 01:42 PM
i remember the nixon years, but i sure don't recall anything about this assassination attempt...

what was it that condi rice said about 9/11? something about who would ever imagine that people would take planes and fly them into buildings?

apparently this guy did and the secret service obviously knew about his plan... and that was how many years ago?

the federal government is finally making an effort to share information between agencies, which might have helped in the assessment of terrorist risks and the development of security measures to deal with those risks...

better security measures might have even prevented the 9/11 attacks using planes...

There was a report written in 1999 by a Library of Congress researcher on the psychology and sociology of terrorists that included a recounting of a deranged passenger who smuggled a knife aboard stabbing the pilot and taking over the controls of an aircraft. It also talked about the scenario of a plane loaded with explosives crash-landing into various government buildings. Senator Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) sent the following Press Release out in May, 2002, regarding the report, which nowadays is easily available on the Internet:
http://grassley.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=3754

RASSLEY SEEKS INVESTIGATION OF CIA HANDLING OF 1999 REPORT ON AL QAEDA

WASHINGTON D.C. - ? Sen. Chuck Grassley today asked the Central Intelligence Agency Office of Inspector General to probe how the agency handled a government report in 1999 that warned al Qaeda terrorists could crash planes into government buildings in the Washington area, including the Pentagon, CIA headquarters and the White House.

This new revelation from a 1999 report provided to the former Clinton administration and funded by the CIA confirms that the FBI and CIA were getting specific early warnings about terrorists plots, including crashing planes into buildings.

"The 1999 report should serve as a reminder that the focus of Congress and its oversight must be on what the intelligence communities knew and what they did in response to this knowledge," Grassley said. "The FBI and CIA need to be investigated for what they did, or did not do, so we can make sure we don't make mistakes in the future."

Grassley on Wednesday asked the Department of Justice Inspector General to investigate a similar warning that went unheeded at the FBI. Grassley's requested the DOJ-IG to review how the FBI handled a warning from an agent in Phoenix that Arab nationals associated with Osama bin Laden were obtaining flight lessons. Grassley also has called on FBI Director Robert Mueller to release to the public the Phoenix memo.

May 17, 2002
The Honorable John L. Helgerson
Inspector GeneralCentral Intelligence Agency Office of Inspector General
Washington, D.C. 20505

Dear Inspector General Helgerson:

I am requesting you investigate how the Central Intelligence Agency handled a report it funded and requested from the Library of Congress warning that al Qaeda terrorists could crash airplanes into government buildings.

This report is entitled "The Sociology and Psychology of Terrorism: Who Becomes a Terrorist and Why?" and was issued in September of 1999. The report can be found at: http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Sociology-Psychology%20of%20Terrorism.htm

The report lists al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden as one of the most dangerous threats to the United States, and that we should expect bin Laden "will most likely retaliate in a spectacular way for the cruise missile attack against his Afghan camp in August 1998," (page 13).

Morever, the report lists several forms of attack al Qaeda may employ against the United States and, specifically, Washington, DC.

One of those attacks is described as follows: "Suicide bomber(s) belonging to al-Qaida's Martyrdom Battalion could crash-land an aircraft packed with high explosives (C-4 and semtex) into the Pentagon, the headquarters of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), or the White House," (page13).

Clearly, this represents one of the most alarming indicators and warnings signs of the terrorist plot of September 11, 2001. The fact that the government, and specifically an intelligence arm of the government, had a report in hand that Islamic terrorists could crash planes into buildings raises serious questions how the government responded.

According to conversations between my staff and staff of the Library of Congress Federal Research Division, this report was commissioned in January of 1999 by the National Intelligence Council (NIC), which reports to the Director of Central Intelligence. The point of contact for the NIC was George Fidas. The report submitted to the NIC in September of 1999, and the Library of Congress, per its usual practice, did not circulate this report to other government agencies.

I ask that your review include the factors that prompted the request of this report, including intelligence already possessed by the government; what action was taken or not taken in response to this report; what persons and agencies viewed the report and how wide its circulation was; and whether this information was factored in with other intelligence about terrorist threats to the United States.

Congress, and most importantly the American public, deserve answers to these questions. This must be investigated not only to learn from the failures to respond to this and other warnings, but also to reassure the public that its government is accountable and is transparent to Congressional oversight.

As the ranking member of the Judiciary Committee''s Crime and Drugs Subcommittee, my Congressional oversight duties require me to ensure government agencies operate to the best of their abilities, especially when it comes to protecting our national security.

I thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

Cordially yours,
Charles E. Grassley
Ranking Member
Subcommittee on Crime and Drugs

DanT
01-28-2005, 01:43 PM
I hadn't known until seeing the History Channel program that one of the Ford Assassination attempts was in downtown Sacramento by the Capitol. I go by there all the time on my way to work.

C-Mac
01-28-2005, 01:46 PM

Actually the changes that were made to the airports made after this event I'm sure have prevented the same "type" of hijacking to occur, but yes unfortunately they obviously would and probably will find another way.
You know whats really different about this hijacker guy is that he audio taped his whole reason and plan on cassette tape...and then made copies and mailed them to certain senators the day of his event.

DanT
01-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Damn. Good thing you're not Gerald Ford, huh?

:)

Gerald Ford seems like a cool guy. Apparently, he wasn't too fazed by the attempt.

DanT
01-28-2005, 02:42 PM
How was the assassination attempt foiled? Did Ford trip and fall at just the right time, allowing the bullet to fly harmlessly above him?

(All I know about Gerald Ford I learned from Match Game re-runs.)

Here's a story on it I just found on the internet:

http://www.angelfire.com/home/freelynettefromme/media/abramson.htm

From the Los Angeles Times, September 5, 1975:
Manson Girl Tries to Shoot President
Pulls Gun in Crowd at Sacramento

By Rudy Abramson
and William Endicott
Times Staff Writers

SACRAMENTO--President Ford narrowly escaped an assassination attempt today by a woman follower of convicted murderer Charles Manson.

The woman, identified as Lynette Alice (Squeaky) Fromme, 26, stepped from a crowd of onlookers and pointed a loaded .45-caliber pistol at the President's back from a distance of two feet as he was walking toward the capitol.

A Secret Service agent, walking a few feet behind Mr. Ford, grabbed the weapon and wrested [sic] it from the woman before it could go off.

The President was not injured.

The murder attempt occured shortly after 10 a.m. after the President, ringed by security agents, had walked from the Senator Hotel across the Capitol and was making his way down a sidewalk through Capitol Park.

He was waving and shaking hands with people in the crowd of about 500 when Secret Service Agent Larry Buendorf saw the woman's arm and the automatic pistol suddenly jut out from the crowd.

According to Presidential Press Secretary Ron Nessen, Buendorf grabbed the firearm with his right hand and grabbed Fromme's arm with his left to wrench the weapon from her.

The agent, Nessen said, suffered a slight cut between the thumb and forfinger of his right hand.

Agent Buendorf wrestled Fromme to the ground in the crowd and she was handcuffed.

During the scuffle the woman—wearing a long red dress and a red head bandana—was heard to shout: "It didn't go off! It didn't go off!"

Fromme, 5 feet 3 inches, weighing 120 pounds and red-haired, was taken by Secret Service agents to the Sacramento Police Department for questioning.

Nessen said the President, who "was not hurt in any way," had seen the gun, apparently after he turned toward his attacker upon hearing the scuffle behind him.

The President was immediately rushed to the east entrance of the Capitol, the nearest entrance.

Linda Worlow, a secretary in the Capitol who happened to be standing next to Fromme, described what happened:

"I was about to shake the President's hand. Then I saw the Secret Service man rush the crowd where I was standing.

I saw the woman with the gun and I hit the ground, so to speak. The woman appeared about ready to fire."

Worlow said she had seen Fromme a few minutes before the President arrived and said she was talking with a Sacramento policeman.

"I heard her ask him (the patrolman) what the President's route to the Capitol would be," Worlow told a reporter. "The policeman was evasive."

Earlier, Worlow said she had seen Fromme "kind of milling around in the crowd."

Nessen said the President,who arrived in Sacramento Thursday night, planned to continue his schedule today, despite the attempt on his life.

At 11:30 a.m.—1˝ hours after the assassination attempt—Mr. Ford, appearing composed and relaxed, began his address to the special joint session of the California Legislature.

Ironically, his text was on the subject of crime in the United States.

Mr. Ford did not refer to the murder attempt before beginning his address. The only reference to the incident, an oblique one, came from Gov. Brown, who told the legislators:

"It's really a pleasure to introduce the President of the United States."

Mr. Ford received a standing ovation.

His address was the first time a President had spoken before a joint legislative session in California.

Before the attempt outside the capitol, Mr. Ford had addressed 1,000 California business leaders at a State Fair Host Breakfast at the Sacramento Convention Center.

He had returned to the Senator Hotel, located across the street from the Capitol, just before his short walk to meet with Brown in the governor's office.

The President's prepared remarks before the legislative session included these lines:

"Peace on 10th St. in Sacramento is as important to the people who walk and work there as peace in the Sinai Desert.

One man or woman or child becomes just as dead from a switchblade slash as from a nuclear missile blast. We must prevent both."

The attempt on Mr. Ford's life occured just two blocks from 10th St., which runs adjacent to the Capitol building.

An hour and a half after the attempt on the President's life, an unidentified woman called United Press International in San Francisco to say a 60-pound bomb was set to go off minutes later—at 11:55 a.m., in the Capitol building while Mr. Ford spoke there.

The woman referred to a letter received recently by San Francisco news media with the letterhead of the "Red Guerilla Family," following an explosion in a San Francisco office building. The group has claimed responsibility for a number of Bay Area bombings in recent months.

DanT
01-28-2005, 02:45 PM
As President, Gerald Ford got a reputation for being clumsy, even though he was actually a very highly-accomplished athlete in his youth:
http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761558435/Gerald_Ford.html

II Early Life
Print Preview of Section

Ford was born as Leslie Lynch King, Jr., in Omaha, Nebraska. In 1913 his mother, Dorothy, left her husband (they divorced in 1914) and took her son to live with her parents in Grand Rapids, Michigan. At a church function, she met Gerald R. Ford, whom she married in 1916. Although he never formally adopted Dorothy's son, Ford gave her child his name—Gerald Rudolph Ford, Jr. That name became the future president's legal name in 1935.

Ford, whom family and friends called Junior, worked in his stepfather's paint and varnish store, achieved the rank of Eagle Scout, and became star center for the South High School football team. Ford's skill as a football player won him a scholarship to the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor in 1931.

While at Michigan, Ford was an average student but a star football player. After his graduation in 1935, both the Detroit Lions and the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League offered him a contract. Instead, Ford entered Yale University to study law. To finance his studies, he signed on as the coach of the boxing team (although he had never boxed before), and as an assistant coach for the varsity football team. Ford graduated from Yale in 1941 and, after a short time in New York City, returned to Grand Rapids to open a law firm with a friend from the University of Michigan, Philip R. Buchen.

DanT
01-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Here's an excerpt from the www.wikipedia.org entry on Gerald R. Ford:

Personality
Despite his athletic history, Ford gained a reputation for being clumsy when he was President. Television footage often showed him stumbling down the stairs, bumping his head on the doorway of Air Force One, or walking into other people. This stereotype was greatly popularized by a series of skits on Saturday Night Live featuring Chevy Chase. Many of Ford's supporters have since denounced this stereotype as unfair, saying the President was no more clumsy than any normal person—except his blunders were just far more visible and popularized. Ford took this kidding gracefully and later wrote a book about humor and the Presidency. He even became friends with Chevy Chase. The people who worked in the White House during the Ford administration universally praised the President and First Lady as warm, gracious and down to earth people who helped restore confidence after the scandal of Watergate.

Uncle_Ted
01-28-2005, 03:08 PM
While at Michigan, Ford was an average student but a star football player. After his graduation in 1935, both the Detroit Lions and the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League offered him a contract. Instead, Ford entered Yale University to study law.

OK, there's something fishy about this -- he was an average student but attended Yale Law? He must've really crushed the LSAT! :)

Calcountry
01-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Everyone wanted Nixon dead.Says a guy who's nickname is Hoover.

Calcountry
01-28-2005, 03:41 PM

of course, the terrorists would probably have found another way to attack us...Why worry about terrorist plots when you can get Hummers in the Oval Office?

Calcountry
01-28-2005, 03:42 PM
I hadn't known until seeing the History Channel program that one of the Ford Assassination attempts was in downtown Sacramento by the Capitol. I go by there all the time on my way to work.Then, in the same swing through California, a second attempt on Ford in San Fran.

Man, California loves its Republicans.

Ultra Peanut
01-28-2005, 04:30 PM
How was the assassination attempt foiled? Did Ford trip and fall at just the right time, allowing the bullet to fly harmlessly above him?

(All I know about Gerald Ford I learned from Match Game re-runs.)ROFL

C-Mac
01-28-2005, 06:08 PM

(All I know about Gerald Ford I learned from Match Game re-runs.)

Chevy Chase owes his career to Ford.

Calcountry
01-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Chevy Chase owes his career to Ford.Yep, he would always start SNL by falling down.

A take on Ford falling when he went skiing and the like.

C-Mac
01-29-2005, 09:25 AM
Yep, he would always start SNL by falling down.

A take on Ford falling when he went skiing and the like.

I think that was the last time he was funny also......he's a politital nutcase nowadays.

go bo
01-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Yep, he would always start SNL by falling down.

A take on Ford falling when he went skiing and the like.heck, ford even fell coming down the stairs from a plane...