PDA

View Full Version : Go see Sideways if it's playing near you...

Herzig
01-29-2005, 07:52 AM
Saw it last night. It just came to Fayetteville. If you have a chance, check this one out. Anyone else like this flick?

FloridaChief
01-29-2005, 07:53 AM
Think I'm going to see this tonight. Really intrigued by what others who have seen it have to say...

Herzig
01-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Think I'm going to see this tonight. Really intrigued by what others who have seen it have to say...

It's worth the cash. Some of the scenes are pretty classic. The first 10 minutes or so are a little slow, but other than that, it's really good.

FloridaChief
01-29-2005, 07:57 AM
It's worth the cash. Some of the scenes are pretty classic. The first 10 minutes or so are a little slow, but other than that, it's really good.

Thanks. That fits in with what I've heard already. Looking forward to it...

Sure-Oz
01-29-2005, 10:16 AM
What is it about?? i have seen one commercial for it and some friends want to see it.

Herzig
01-29-2005, 10:27 AM
What is it about?? i have seen one commercial for it and some friends want to see it.

It's about 2 guys in their late 30's/early 40's who get away to Napa Valley for a week before one of them is about to get married. Kind of like a bachelor party trip. Pretty good acting, some real funny scenes....overall pretty enjoyable. I could relate to some of their situations.

Megbert
01-29-2005, 10:31 AM
I agree go see this movie. The writing and acting are both excellent.

Herzig
01-29-2005, 10:39 AM
It's won and been nominated for several awards...here's the trailer too..

http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/sideways/

memyselfI
01-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Ah, was planning on seeing it this evening...great timing!

I'm a big Thomas Hayden Church (from my favorite Wings) fan and cannot wait to see it.

Idahojim
01-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Best lesson from the movie? Be extremely careful about where you leave your wallet. Never know what it will take to get it back.

Herzig
01-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Best lesson from the movie? Be extremely careful about where you leave your wallet. Never know what it will take to get it back.
ROFL

Herzig
01-29-2005, 10:46 AM
Ah, was planning on seeing it this evening...great timing!

I'm a big Thomas Hayden Church (from my favorite Wings) fan and cannot wait to see it.

"Lowell" is hilarious in this movie!!

memyselfI
01-29-2005, 10:50 AM
"Lowell" is hilarious in this movie!!

I don't doubt it. He is a fabulous actor and comic and my favorite (Kerry voting) Texan!!! :thumb:

KCWolfman
01-29-2005, 11:06 AM
I don't doubt it. He is a fabulous actor and comic and my favorite (Kerry voting) Texan!!! :thumb:
That explains the character on Wings

KCWolfman
01-29-2005, 11:09 AM
It does look pretty good, unfortunately, the wife likes horror flicks - so if I go I would be stuck with Hide and Seek or Boogeyman.

On the other hand, we rented Luther and it was okay, nothing fantastic IMO. If you rent King Arthur, take my advise and don't get the director's cut - I was dozing by the end.

go bo
01-29-2005, 12:22 PM
i just got around to renting meet the parents...

the wife and i recently saw meet the fockers, and it was hilarious, so we thought we'd check out the first movie...

it was great, but you really should see the first movie first because a lot of the gags carry over to the second movie and it would have been even funnier if we had seen the first movie first...

oh wait, this thread is about sideways, isn't it?

never mind...

Calcountry
01-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Saw it last night. It just came to Fayetteville. If you have a chance, check this one out. Anyone else like this flick?Thanks for the tip. :thumb:

2bikemike
01-29-2005, 04:06 PM
i just got around to renting meet the parents...

the wife and i recently saw meet the fockers, and it was hilarious, so we thought we'd check out the first movie...

it was great, but you really should see the first movie first because a lot of the gags carry over to the second movie and it would have been even funnier if we had seen the first movie first...

oh wait, this thread is about sideways, isn't it?

never mind...

Yeah its about Sideways. Not Assbackwards! Next time see the first movie first.

Jenson71
01-29-2005, 04:41 PM
It's impressive. Very dramatic for a comedy.

I love that center of the movie where all people are explained or shown. Miles is just like the wine he likes best, and Mya just the caretaker who can help him get back to his "old Miles" as Jack would say.

You wonder what Jack and Miles were like when they were freshmen in college. Miles was probably just as crazy as Jack is now. But things have changed him, he's grown up while Jack is still immature and careless. Maybe a divorce will do that to you. Maybe being so close to a lifetime goal (gonna be three times even) and not reaching it will do that to you.

I was reading one of Roger Ebert's answer mans, and a person complained that they didn't feel any connection to any character. I doubt that. I think we can all relate to changes, to friendship, to loss, and love, and drowning our sorrows in wine (or movies, sports, etc.) and that's exactly what Sideways is about.

jAZ
01-29-2005, 09:12 PM
Great movie, but what's up with the part just after he gets the wallet back?

A little too much information for my taste.

go bo
01-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah its about Sideways. Not Assbackwards! Next time see the first movie first.sorry boss, i'm still learning my way around...

FloridaChief
01-30-2005, 12:30 AM
Looks like I'll be seeing Sideways tomorrow instead of today--or, actually today, rather than yesterday; as promised...

CosmicPal
01-30-2005, 10:42 AM
I was going to see this when it first came out several weeks ago when I read several outstanding reviews from across the country. My girlfriend and I went to check it out, but the line was around the block- so we decided to skip it.

Well, I finally saw it last night with some friends, and it was an absolute riot! Afterwards, we went out drinking....after all that wine, I was getting thirsty.

I don't want to give away any details on the movie, but this is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Definate favorite.

Deberg_1990
01-30-2005, 03:07 PM
Yea, i want to see this bad. Alexander Payne hasnt made a bad movie yet. Anyone seen Election with Broderick and Reese Witherspoon? Classic flick. Payne is also from Omaha. I believe Sideways is his first flick hes made that isnt set there???

Jenson71
01-30-2005, 04:14 PM
I saw Million Dollar Baby today. Completely different film, but just as recommended. Eastwood - best director, best actor. He deserves both wins, imo.

Hoover
01-30-2005, 05:07 PM
Yeah, the wife and I went to Aviator last night and it was OK, but not really that great, I wish we woudl have seen Sideways, maybe next week.

Deberg_1990
01-30-2005, 05:44 PM
I saw Million Dollar Baby today. Completely different film, but just as recommended. Eastwood - best director, best actor. He deserves both wins, imo.

Yea, i want to see that one as well. Eastwood is a damn fine director. Probably somewhat overlooked as a director. I loved Mystic River.

Hoover
01-30-2005, 05:46 PM
I was going to see this when it first came out several weeks ago when I read several outstanding reviews from across the country. My girlfriend and I went to check it out, but the line was around the block- so we decided to skip it.

Well, I finally saw it last night with some friends, and it was an absolute riot! Afterwards, we went out drinking....after all that wine, I was getting thirsty.

I don't want to give away any details on the movie, but this is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Definate favorite.
Thanks, I'll have to go see it this week, I had no clue what it was about